Beaming an active Gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming an active Gate?

We know that a stargate can be transported by Asgard transporter technology.

The question is: Can a Stargate be beamed up (or down) whilst there is an active wormhole (either outgoing [in which case you'd probably be beaming the DHD/dialing computer as well] or incoming)?

NO

as proven in at least the episodes camelot, and Off the grid.

In Camelot Carter couldn't be beamed away from the active supergate as it was interfering with transporters.

In Off the Grid the Oddy was only able to retrieve the stargates that weren't active. IE the gate used by SG1 to leave in the final moments before the the ship blew up couldn't be beamed away.

In the scourge certain radiation fields also interfere with beaming tech.

Comment

That begs the question, what about engaging Hyperspace with an Active wormhole? Shooting for a moving target is hard, but let's say you're shooting with a grappling rod (2010 used by O'Neill) once you've hit that target even if the target begins moving, the grapple isn't going to come out (ok, assuming the target and rod are relatively strong material etc. etc. etc. ETC.!!!)
      When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
      Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
        NO

as proven in at least the episodes camelot, and Off the grid.

In Camelot Carter couldn't be beamed away from the active supergate as it was interfering with transporters.

In Off the Grid the Oddy was only able to retrieve the stargates that weren't active. IE the gate used by SG1 to leave in the final moments before the the ship blew up couldn't be beamed away.

In the scourge certain radiation fields also interfere with beaming tech.
        They did not interfere with the beaming tech itself, the ionization in the atmosphere prevented the Oddy from locking on to their subcutaneous transmitters...which prevented them from beaming them out, and with all the life signs of the bugs around them, they could not be sure which was which.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
          That begs the question, what about engaging Hyperspace with an Active wormhole?
          As McKay explained in "Adrift" (I think), the stargate has to remain in a relatively small area in order to function. As the ship began moving outside of the area of operability, the gate would destabilize and disconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
            As McKay explained in "Adrift" (I think), the stargate has to remain in a relatively small area in order to function. As the ship began moving outside of the area of operability, the gate would destabilize and disconnect.
            The real (off-topic) question is that would the wormhole remain as the ship makes the transition between two dimensions?

As for the topic, Tupo says that there's been no case, actually, of an active stargate not beamed out because it was active. All incidents and hamperings were indirect, right?
            What's the ionization there? I don't recall active stargates generating so much disturbance on sensors usually. If it was the case, they couldn't even use MALPs properly!
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I think he was talking about dialing a Stargate that's in motion. Not moving an active 'Gate.
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                I think he was talking about dialing a Stargate that's in motion. Not moving an active 'Gate.
                They're not really that different, though it depends on the speed that the gate is moving.

We saw in Season 4's "Exodus" that a gate can be in motion and still be operable (of course, it wasn't moving too quickly or too far, just from the orbit of a star into that star).

And I guess that since the gate was on a ship then of course it wasn't stationary when it was dialed.

Orbital gates in Pegasus are in motion, but are always within a relatively small area of space which permits proper function.

Comment

Theoretically you don't need to lock onto a target, you should be able to beam an area and everything contained within the 3D area.

Comment

They're not really that different, though it depends on the speed that the gate is moving.

We saw in Season 4's "Exodus" that a gate can be in motion and still be operable (of course, it wasn't moving too quickly or too far, just from the orbit of a star into that star).
                    Huh, still 5% of lightspeed, and constantly accelerating due to gravity, in reference to the star.

And I guess that since the gate was on a ship then of course it wasn't stationary when it was dialed.
                    Indeed.

Orbital gates in Pegasus are in motion, but are always within a relatively small area of space which permits proper function.
                    It's all relative anyway. What would really matter is how fast a given stargate is moving in regards to the whole network of stargates, which is more or less stationary and anchored to worlds in the Milky Way and Pegasus. Yet, those worlds, planets, move damn fast in comparison to each other.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Stupid science point. Stargates on a planets surface are always in motion, but within a relatively small area of space which permits proper functions.

A planet not only revolves around a star, but also spins.
                      Equatorial rotation velocity ~1,525 feet/s (IE how fast the earth spins)
                      With a revolution(ie orbiting the sun) of roughly 67,000 miles per hour

Orbital gates aren't going to do anything different than that. they just do it farther from the planetary core.

Comment

A stargate can't be dialed while in hyperspace (The serpents lair)

I doubt a stargate can connect in hyperspace. A Wormhole is a shortcut in the space time continuum. I doubt that the space-time continuum works in hyperspace, because you already manipulate it by travelling faster than light.

If it worked and you would go through you would reintegrate with a hyperspace field around you created by the hyperdrive. The field would become unstable, because of the absence of the hyperdrive. And I believe I've heard that an unstable hyperspace field is very dangerous and is able to kill you and do massive daming. The field will desintegrate and the energy will be released.

Comment

Well, if the gate was being beamed it would demolecularise it; thus breaking down any superconductivity and any of those heavy exotic particles (Naquidah) that keep the wormhole open stably; thus the wormhole would break down and disconnect at the instant of being beamed away.

Hyperspace shifts the Ship into another Dimension/ or similar, so I think it'd be out of range of the Gate's Co-ordinates. Also, the laws of physics would be totally different, which would possibly prevent any sort of stable wormhole from existing in Hyperspace under the same conventions that the Gate uses; preventing it from being active in transit through Hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                            Well, if the gate was being beamed it would demolecularise it; thus breaking down any superconductivity and any of those heavy exotic particles (Naquidah) that keep the wormhole open stably; thus the wormhole would break down and disconnect at the instant of being beamed away.

Hyperspace shifts the Ship into another Dimension/ or similar, so I think it'd be out of range of the Gate's Co-ordinates. Also, the laws of physics would be totally different, which would possibly prevent any sort of stable wormhole from existing in Hyperspace under the same conventions that the Gate uses; preventing it from being active in transit through Hyperspace.
                            Naquadah uses power as neutrons, so no exotic particle. By the way if you consider hyperspace a shifting of dimensions (which it is not it is a alternate region of subspace co-exist and is part of our universes. In fact all our dimensions in our space (Space and time and the ones not yet discovered) exist in some way in hyperspace) It would cause a lot of trouble. In order to shift a wormhole along with you in the dimension the power equivalent of a black hole is required. In Ripple Effect (I think) wormholes from other dimensions are shifted through a black hole.

Comment

Working...
                            X