Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld RSS Feed (Beta)

It's here!

For those of you who use RSS/XML site feeds to keep up on the latest news from your favorite sites, we're ready to debut GateWorld's news feed.

This is current in beta, so we're looking for a few readers to help us test it out and offer some feedback comments (just post in this thread) before we tell the whole galaxy about it. Does it work? Does it look right in your news reader? Are the fields you want (headline, teaser/description, date, etc.) present and accounted for?

Just add GateWorld News' XML file to your RSS news reader:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/rss_gateworld.xml

Note that the feed includes all news that appears in the large middle column of the GateWorld home page -- but not the special features (like interviews, articles, etc.) that appear under "Features" on the left side of the home page.

Thanks!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Has anyone tried this out yet? If it's working right, we'll make it available to the general public.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Darren just clicked on the link it just comes out with XML code.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
        Hi Darren just clicked on the link it just comes out with XML code.

I believe your browser needs to support RSS feeds, and those that I use don't actually support it in the current version. I'm not sure which browsers do support it. I use Safari for the Mac and it doesn't have a built-in RSS reader until 'Tiger' is launched next year, so I'll have to wait.
        __

__

Comment

Err... I have LJ, and it seems to be working fine over there.

Comment

Darren, I think it works. I use Opera and let me show you what I get.

SCREEN 1:
            http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RSSFeedScreen1.gif

SCREEN 2:
            http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RSSFeedScreen2.gif

SCREEN 3:
            http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RSSFeedScreen3.gif

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

You need to have an "RSS aggregator" program in order to view this stuff, ya can't just click on a link and read it, unfortunately. *sigh* I'm not interested enough in the RSS thing to download a prog for it. 'Tis easier for me to just go to Gateworld and read it.

Good luck, though. Hope it works out.

Comment

Hey, neat. Works well with Mozilla Firefox's Live Bookmarks feature.

Doesn't quite validate, though (XML is picky).

Comment

I have Yahoo, and it is working fine on my My Yahoo page.

Elevators are such a PITA!

Read my fanfic here:True Nature

Comment

OOoooo.... Looky. I figured out how to add it to Yahoo. Not that I ever look at my My Yahoo page, but it's there, now, along with an upgraded version of My Yahoo and a nifty tigerprint theme.

Ya learn something new every day...

Comment

AWSOME!! Mine is working, too!! LOVE IT! Thanks Darren!

Comment

Just added it to yahoo looks really cool, I had a lot of trouble yesterday but managed to add it today with out an error message popping up.
                        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

OK. I don't actually check my RSS feed very often, but I happened to skim over it this morning and it looked like the last headline was about Creation's convention. And that news was listed as 2 days old. It's fixed now, all prim and proper, but WAS there actually a hiccup or was I just way more tired this morning than I realized? Coupld be a refresh thing. It's always a refresh thing. Or cookies.

Comment

Could be a cache (refresh) issue, depending on what program / service you use to read feeds. I have GateWorld News loaded in My Yahoo, and I've noticed a lag of several hours before they'll update and grab the latest story.

The Creation convention story, though ... that's a pretty big lag. What reader are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                              Could be a cache (refresh) issue, depending on what program / service you use to read feeds. I have GateWorld News loaded in My Yahoo, and I've noticed a lag of several hours before they'll update and grab the latest story.

The Creation convention story, though ... that's a pretty big lag. What reader are you using?
                              I had the same problem for a few day, the Creation Convention was the top story, my guess was that there had been no new news in the past few days so it rolled back a bit because this morning when I woke up it had the 2 new atlantis stories right up top, I'm using My Yahoo for this aswell.

Comment

Working...
                              X