the tollan gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tollan gate

when sg1 goes to the new tollan homeworld they find out that they built their own gate and then jack makes a comment saying that "ours is bigger". now i dont know if his comment was in jest or not but i wondered what would happen if an object like say a jumper were to go through a gate of normal size an try to come out through the tollan gate.if it is indeed smaller.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

I have thought about that, also in a different way, the gate being circular, and in lot of places the base is a little bit covered, what would happen if the size of this cover is different ?

As the gate only send something as a whole, I suppose the jumper would be lost...
    In the case I thought what I came up with, is that the cover would allow the person to touch it and loose his feet =p Them just bleed to death xD

Comment

It think O'neill means the gate itself not the size of the wormhole. The Tollan gate is only slimmer than our gate but the wormhole is as large as ours.

Comment

I don't think so. Wasn't the gate Orlin made much smaller than normal? Id imagine if the object was too large it would be lost. After all the ancients would not have a failsafe for anything like this (since they had no need) and the Tollan's would not be at a level to have failsafes galore.

Comment

But orlin was on the small gate, dialing a normal gate, the problem would be the opposite....
          I`m not sure about not having fail safes , the stargate have a lot, most of the problems we find, it was because of our "home made dhd " in sg1, or in sga cuz they turned the fail safes off...

Comment

Orlin's gate was only to dial to a planet. The other gate was bigger so no problem. But if it was the other way around you could gate stuck. The Tollan gate was obviously built for two way travel so it would had to have a horizon as big as a normal gate. The only difference is that it is smaller.

Spoiler:
            How do all ship get nicely in Atlantis? The spacegate has a horizon completly exposed to space an can be completly accessed, while the bottom of the Atlantis gate is stuck under the floor of the gateroom.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
              Orlin's gate was only to dial to a planet. The other gate was bigger so no problem. But if it was the other way around you could gate stuck. The Tollan gate was obviously built for two way travel so it would had to have a horizon as big as a normal gate. The only difference is that it is smaller.

Spoiler:
              How do all ship get nicely in Atlantis? The spacegate has a horizon completly exposed to space an can be completly accessed, while the bottom of the Atlantis gate is stuck under the floor of the gateroom.
              Because the bottom of the Jumper is flat and there is just enough of the event horizon exposed to allow a Jumper to fit through.

I think the Ancients must have standardized how much of the gate was 'unavailable for use' or atleast had a maximum number, otherwise they'd have had so many troubles with some gates having enough room for a jumper to get through and others not.
              Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
              Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There must be some sort of feedback between the gates on both ends so that things that can't fit out of the destination gate aren't allowed into the other end.
                Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

Good to see that someone else also have questions about this...
                  I have a question similar to the first one asked: What would happen if you would travel back and forth between a supergate and a normal gate? I mean they can connect with each other as seen on the show so travel between should also be possible then...
                  Anyways, let's say that an Ori mothership would travel through the supergate to a normal one, what would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Kamikaze View Post
                    Good to see that someone else also have questions about this...
                    I have a question similar to the first one asked: What would happen if you would travel back and forth between a supergate and a normal gate? I mean they can connect with each other as seen on the show so travel between should also be possible then...
                    Anyways, let's say that an Ori mothership would travel through the supergate to a normal one, what would happen?

A slice of ori mother ship about 3 kms long would come through the gate (probably)
                    Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
                      A slice of ori mother ship about 3 kms long would come through the gate (probably)
                      no i dont think so b/c the gate has failsafes which prevents parts of something rematerializing without the rest of it
                      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

If the Ancients put in fail safes (which I'd doubt they did), they could not have expected the Tollans to build there own gate so it may be lost.

The connection to the tollan gate would be successful, the problem only arises when the jumper attempts to go through. unless the wormhole jumps to the next available gate (which it wouldn't do, it's already been established) It would be stuck in the buffer and the next gate activity to come through the gate would wipe it clean.

Comment

The tollan gate is only slimmer

And the tollan build it with the NOX (ALLIES AND FRIENDS OF THE ANCIENTS), so they probably put in safeguards

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                            no i dont think so b/c the gate has failsafes which prevents parts of something rematerializing without the rest of it
                            Is that actually mentioned on the show? I know that in the SGA episode thirty-eight minutes they say that the jumper cant rematerialize without the whole object entering the the wormhole, but that's a whole different failsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                              The tollan gate is only slimmer

And the tollan build it with the NOX (ALLIES AND FRIENDS OF THE ANCIENTS), so they probably put in safeguards
                              When exactly was that stated ?

Spoiler:

Narim: Our destination is the new home world, Tollana.

Sam: But we sent you to the Now planet. There wasn't a gate on Tollana.

Narim: The Nox and the Tollan devised a way to get us there.

Jack: Of course you were.

Daniel: Way smarter then we are...

Scene: Tollana - Just arrived.

They all look at the Stargate.
                              Jack: Very nice.

Sam: So, you built that... Stargate?

Narim: Yes.

Daniel: Way smarter then we are...

They start walking away

Jack: Our is bigger...

They only say that the nox helped them to get to the new planet, and NOT that the nox helped them to build the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X