Debunk my gate travel theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debunk my gate travel theory

I'm new to this forum, so I'm going to start by posting a question that I've always wondered about ever since I started watching Stargate. We all know that when something goes through the Stargate, it is dematerialized and rematerialized on the other side. Now I was just thinking, for a non-living object like a chair, spoon, clothes, gun, etc, this wouldn't be a problem. But in the case of a human being, or any other living thing for that matter, for it to be dematerialized, wouldn't that essentially kill the living thing? For example, when a person walks through the Stargate and is dematerialized, even though they are rematerialized on the other side, they would come through intact but dead. It would be like like cutting a person in half or into a bunch of pieces and trying to put all the body parts back together and hoping that it will live again, after you already killed it by cutting it up. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by AdriaCator View Post
    I'm new to this forum, so I'm going to start by posting a question that I've always wondered about ever since I started watching Stargate. We all know that when something goes through the Stargate, it is dematerialized and rematerialized on the other side. Now I was just thinking, for a non-living object like a chair, spoon, clothes, gun, etc, this wouldn't be a problem. But in the case of a human being, or any other living thing for that matter, for it to be dematerialized, wouldn't that essentially kill the living thing? For example, when a person walks through the Stargate and is dematerialized, even though they are rematerialized on the other side, they would come through intact but dead. It would be like like cutting a person in half or into a bunch of pieces and trying to put all the body parts back together and hoping that it will live again, after you already killed it by cutting it up. Any thoughts?
    lets put it another way. if you accidentally cut of your finger does the finger instantly die or do you have a certin amount of time before it dies. well i think its sorta the same concept. you dematerialize which basically means your broken down into very little pieces and then almost instantly your put back together. just like you sew your finger back on. i guess if it happens quickly eneough it dont matter.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

But a finger is just a finger. It is true that if a broken body limb is put back quickly enough, the body will be able to use it again. In fact, we all know that the human body is quite amazing as we can live without most bodily limbs including both arms, legs, one liver, eyes, ears, nose etc. (And yes, I fully understand your point about if something happens fast enough it wouldn't matter.) But lets look at it this way: (Hope I'm not getting too graphic here.) Imagine if we strapped someone to a ton of explosives and then set it off. And lest just say for the sake of argument that the best doctors can put this person back together; each and every piece of him, in the same amount of time that it takes for a person to travel though a Stargate (forgot the exact number), do you still think that that person would still be alive?

Comment

A violent explosion is greatly different from de- and re-molecularization controlled by advanced computer systems.

Do you think that the Asgard transporter kills people when it beams them from place to place? It's basically the same thing.

What about Alteran/Goa'uld ring transport systems? That's essentially a smaller version of the stargate (or perhaps a precursor to the 'gate).

Comment

Originally posted by AdriaCator View Post
          But a finger is just a finger. It is true that if a broken body limb is put back quickly enough, the body will be able to use it again. In fact, we all know that the human body is quite amazing as we can live without most bodily limbs including both arms, legs, one liver, eyes, ears, nose etc. (And yes, I fully understand your point about if something happens fast enough it wouldn't matter.) But lets look at it this way: (Hope I'm not getting too graphic here.) Imagine if we strapped someone to a ton of explosives and then set it off. And lest just say for the sake of argument that the best doctors can put this person back together; each and every piece of him, in the same amount of time that it takes for a person to travel though a Stargate (forgot the exact number), do you still think that that person would still be alive?
          You missed one major point. A traveler is dematerialized at the sub-atomic level. When you talk about "life," you're talking about atoms. At our most basic level, we are no different than a chair.

Debunked.

Comment

Yeah, try thinking in us as machines.. Even our thought pattern and all, are just electricity inside our brains and all..
            So there`s no problem with beaming..

But because you mention, I`ll bring up what was discussed in another thread... When you have half of your body inside the gate, and half out ( no matter if you are going in or out of the gate ), how would your brain for example get oxygen from your heart if it is dematerialized ?

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post
              But because you mention, I`ll bring up what was discussed in another thread... When you have half of your body inside the gate, and half out ( no matter if you are going in or out of the gate ), how would your brain for example get oxygen from your heart if it is dematerialized ?
              One assumes that until the entire body is inside the gate, nothing is de-materialized, even though you can't see it. That's how you can still pull someone out even if most of them is inside the event horizon (SGA: "38 Minutes").

Comment

Clearly u wouldn't die because then there would be no show LOL!
                Meh.

Comment

Working...
                X