Is interstellar travel a big mistake For Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is interstellar travel a big mistake For Stargate

Did Stargate loose the plot when it introduced Interstellar travel with the Promethius??

Did it take anything away from the actual show based on a "Stargate" or was the old format (of traveling through a wormhole to another planet, finding some ruins, meeting new people and fighting off bad guys just before making a timely escape through the stargate) a bit of same ole same ole??

Did it need the new perspective of our own "spaceship"??

Was it a much needed breath of fresh air??

Was it too big a jump from having nothing to an interstellar ship in only 5 1/2 years??

And when the Asgard first saw our pride and joy did they say "WOW.....MY GRAND FATHERS GRAND FATHER USED TO DRVE ONE OF THESE, I DIDD'NT THINK THEY STILL MADE THEM LIKE THIS"
    I WILL KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND

Of course it was absurd, I can't help that it was SciFi forcing the staff to have a show with a human made space ship.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Ha the Asgard probably did say somthing like that.

Comment

Yes. What's even worse hads been their depiction of teh said ship. NOTHING NEW, all the same old mistakes of sci-fi ships, plus a few new ones. It might look pretty (as pretty as a flying shoebox) buut it fails in it's role as a warship.

Comment

Since when have our ships truly failed?? We've seen other ships, particularly the Ha'tak, it used to be the terror of the galaxy, crumple after just one or two shots, but our ships have survived much much more. Not just the 304s! Prometheus may not have seen much action on screen during her short lifetime, but remember the battle over antarctica? Anubis's ships were just raining a continuous stream of golden yellow hurt down on Prometheus and she still shouldered on!

To the original topic; I do think that our now widespread use of ships have detracted slightly from the original premise of both shows, but with primarily ship-based enemies, we needed something to defend ourselves with. 5.5 years really isn't too much to hope for as we're pretty damn intelligent and clever. Prometheus was basically a standard US Warship made of Trinium, with some a-grav units, fusion sublight engines, a hyperdrive, shields, and some railguns, point defense cannons, and missiles. Those are all independent "self-contained" systems that are pretty easy to drop into a basic hull design optomized for deep space travel.
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

We arent that cleaver, just look at our space shuttles.. Compare the sublight engines with shuttles..

I think we would be able to learn, but not how it happened in the show.. Try to teach Physics to an 5-year-old boy.. We kinda would have to learn the whole base..

Reverse engineering things isnt that easy.. Give a modern computer to someone from 1k BC.. and ask him to reverse engineer it...

Comment

I think the introduction of the Prometheus (and X-301 and X-302 for that matter) was kind of necessary, given the setup for the series (i.e. by that time, given the urgency and the expenditure, Earth needed to have some kind of defense system derived from tech brought back through the gate), and it did inject a little bit of a new perspective, but I think mainly that it was opening a huge can of worms / Pandora's box. The main problem I had / have with the Earth ships is just how ridiculously capable they became in show terms, the fact that, since their creation, Earth has become amazingly powerful, without the majority of her population knowing!

From my point of view, Prometheus would have been better depicted as a smaller, slower, weaker ship that essentially functions as a step up from a stolen Goa'uld cargo ship. It would be a good way of showing both sides of the argument - on one side, the Tau'ri are not ready for this kind of technology and responsibility, but on the other, the Tau'ri are adaptive, intelligent, resourceful, and will do what they deem necessary to protect their world, and other worlds, from various threats, despite the risk.

As for her design, I definitely agree that while Prometheus had that 'nice ugliness' a lot of military vehicles have, she was very poorly designed and brought nothing new to science fiction starship design. The 304s are even worse - slightly better looking, but possibly even less practical. While I am aware this is a sci-fi series (!), SG-1 had enough of a basis in reality that the producers should have tried harder, given her prominence and importance.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The stargate still remains important. Ship are handy, but no substitute. Stargates are a lot faster than ships. And most of the show the ship isn't used by Sg-1 and is in earth orbit/dock. By the way certain events (Ex Deus Machina, Full Alert, New Order, Endgame, Avalon, Ethon, Counterstrike, Unending, Lost City) can't do without a ship. Imagine defending the Earth against an enemy fleet with a stargate.

Besides if we remove it the entire show would be changed. Can you imagine no supergate battle, no battle of antartica, whole stargate atlantis would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                  Since when have our ships truly failed?? We've seen other ships, particularly the Ha'tak, it used to be the terror of the galaxy
                  All relative...

crumple after just one or two shots
                  False.

but our ships have survived much much more.
                  Yes, thanks to asgard shields. But we never got adequate weapons.

Not just the 304s! Prometheus may not have seen much action on screen during her short lifetime, but remember the battle over antarctica? Anubis's ships were just raining a continuous stream of golden yellow hurt down on Prometheus and she still shouldered on!
                  Of course, the fact that the outpost, which Anubis seeked, was just under the Prometheus, would be a good reason not to shoot the equivalent of nukes at the ship. Since shots miss...

To the original topic; I do think that our now widespread use of ships have detracted slightly from the original premise of both shows, but with primarily ship-based enemies, we needed something to defend ourselves with. 5.5 years really isn't too much to hope for as we're pretty damn intelligent and clever. Prometheus was basically a standard US Warship made of Trinium, with some a-grav units, fusion sublight engines, a hyperdrive, shields, and some railguns, point defense cannons, and missiles. Those are all independent "self-contained" systems that are pretty easy to drop into a basic hull design optomized for deep space travel.
                  Yes, we needed a defense, but not one which can cross galaxies in the blink of an eye.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                    Yes, we needed a defense, but not one which can cross galaxies in the blink of an eye.
                    I think 14 days is a little more than the blink of an eye.

Below is how many times the 304s have been featured in any episode of Atlantis, including episodes like Trinity where they just turned up at the last minute as a convenient escape.

Season 2: 7, only 2 of those really focusing on the Daedalus.
                    Season 3: 7, with only NML, Echoes, and FS prominently featuring a 304.
                    Season 4: Only 4, I was expecting more than that!

So you see, 304s barely get a look in when compared to the Stargate. I agree that sometimes they are used as Ex Deus Machinas, but there's only so many ways to get out an impossible situation intact before it gets old and you need to add a new element, ie. The 304s.
                    Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                    Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

one of the most amazing things i had ever seen was the prometheus rising from the ground. i loved it. i loved the craft. but damn i hated that its railguns did.....nothing. no damage to any enemy vessel[except fighters, maybe]
                      with the 304, annother major loving point. lovely, that craft. its much more earthy, better, cooler, nicer. and again, the same dissapointment. it couldnt hurt. it could just take a VERY big punch. and then came the odyssey. and unending. and i loved it: earth could pack a punch. finally. it could hit. it could hurt. finally earth could pack a punch to someone, and that guy would notice. the asgard proved themselves worthy. after dozens of lousy excuses, we had asgard weapons, and we could kick back. and then. yea then. BAMSR. great eppy. but i was amazed. i could not believe the ease at which the things blew up. beng, annother asuras ship gone. beng beng beng booom end of asurans. lovely eppy. but i could not believe it. i couldnt. from a decent punch back, the weapons suddenly became instagibs. one-hit-kill. then came TLM. the phoenix. 3 lucky hits. hive down. the thing i never ever imagined happening. and now? supercool weapons of ultimate kickass? lousy explanation that the weapons cant be produced anymore? sudden destruction of the oddy? or some super uber enemy posed as truely invincible, and then gets kicked down just like that? i dont known. i dont. all i whish, is that the weapons beyond unending were never made that powerfull. 5 shots to kill an asuran aurora wouldve been accepted. 10+ shots for a hive wouldve been accepted. but 1 and 3 hit kills. they are inacceptable

Comment

Originally posted by Palantir71 View Post
                        Did Stargate loose the plot when it introduced Interstellar travel with the Promethius??

Did it take anything away from the actual show based on a "Stargate" or was the old format (of traveling through a wormhole to another planet, finding some ruins, meeting new people and fighting off bad guys just before making a timely escape through the stargate) a bit of same ole same ole??

Did it need the new perspective of our own "spaceship"??

Was it a much needed breath of fresh air??

Was it too big a jump from having nothing to an interstellar ship in only 5 1/2 years??

And when the Asgard first saw our pride and joy did they say "WOW.....MY GRAND FATHERS GRAND FATHER USED TO DRVE ONE OF THESE, I DIDD'NT THINK THEY STILL MADE THEM LIKE THIS"
                        What is the purpose of the Stargate program? Acquire technologies to help ourselves...yadd yadda yadda. We got ships and interstellar travel amongst other things. No mistake in there .

Comment

I prefer the Prometheus to the 304s, it was more a hand-me-down toy than something you get from a rich relative. It wasn't all that great, but we more or less made it from the group up and didn't have any uber tech. I would have preferred it if we continued building upon the 303 branch opposed to replacing it, as I much prefer the look of the 303 than the 304, but the power those things have, its just stupid now, its no longer as fun as it was once to watch, For SG1 anything from 8 and backwards was the real SG similarly 3 and backwards for SGA.

Comment

I think interstellar travel was needed eventually. Every one of the major powers had starships, and it was unrealistic that Earth could continue the fight (and win) without ships of its own to counter that advantage.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              I think interstellar travel was needed eventually. Every one of the major powers had starships, and it was unrealistic that Earth could continue the fight (and win) without ships of its own to counter that advantage.
                              exactly, what were they meant to do when the goa'uld attacked, shoot there gun in the air???

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                              Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Working...
                              X