This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't Continuum go to theates?

Sex and the City, Serentiy, 24, Arrested Development (it's coming soon), Starsky and Hutch, The Simpsons, and many more have gone to the big screen after they were either canned or still in production. What I am asking is why can't Stargate Continuum go to theaters? It's based off the longest running Sci-Fi show in America. It should get the special treatment. I say this is totally unfair. It's got a budget of $7-$10 million. It shouldn't depend on DVD sales. None of the movies had a fan base as much as Stargate.

And I know about the Family Guy movie and Futurama ones but those are animated and never intended to be in theaters.

For the same reason AOT wasn't released in theaters. MGM feels it will make a lot more money in the end this way.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I always thought AOT wasn't put in because it was a continuation of the series and people who didn't watch the series wouldn't understand it.

Comment

24 has a movie????

Comment

Yes, they're making one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813980/

Comment

Originally posted by poland626 View Post
            I always thought AOT wasn't put in because it was a continuation of the series and people who didn't watch the series wouldn't understand it.
            Precisely. AoT is too connected to the series to go theatrical. "Continuum" is standalone and it would be just perfect opportunity to reach for entirely new audience. But I think that Brad Wright is afraid that this way his "favourites" would loose, so he prefers to still aim in the fanbase avoiding new audience with completely fresh eye...

Comment

Well fact is that Stargate is still not quite mainstream enough to warrant a movie.

I mean everyone has heard of Star Trek and the X-Files or the Simpsons and Serenity was just a fantastically lucky break for Firefly. But you mention Stargate and to some people you'll still get blank stares.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                Precisely. AoT is too connected to the series to go theatrical. "Continuum" is standalone and it would be just perfect opportunity to reach for entirely new audience. But I think that Brad Wright is afraid that this way his "favourites" would loose, so he prefers to still aim in the fanbase avoiding new audience with completely fresh eye...
                Yet Continuum ia the one to get a Blu-Ray release while AOT does not

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  Well fact is that Stargate is still not quite mainstream enough to warrant a movie.
                  ??? What about the original Stargate movie? Hello! Daniel Jackson is BIG SCREEN character from the start.

Comment

??? What about the original Stargate movie? Hello! Daniel Jackson is BIG SCREEN character from the start.
                    Well yeah but will audiences recognise him? They may recognise the name if they've seen the movie and they may recognise O'Neills and they may even recognise the Stargate but will they recognise anything else? No cos after the oriinal movie SG1 went 10 seasons and basically did it's own thing.

Comment

I really don't think Stargate is big enough for a theatrical release. It has a very small viewership in the US, is shown on a minority station there and worldwide. Maybe, just maybe, a stand alone movie could draw in some new people, but even with Continuum there must be such an enormous amount of baggage/character history involved most new viewers would be totaly lost watching it.

Serenity didn't do very well at the box office at all, I don't think at this late stage tptb should aim too high. Stargate dvd movies will always make them money, imo. The episode releases always have and the majority of the same people are going to buy anything Stargate has to offer. I wouldn't mind a few more Stargate dvd movies...say ten a year!

If they did make the next movie a theatrical release and it bombed it could spell the end of the franchise, and I don't think any of us want that.
                      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Yes, that's true. I remember dragging my husband to watch it, he used to hate Sci-Fi. It did have two big stars though, Kurt Russell and James Spader were, and still are, names to bank on. I fell in love with Daniel there and then.

Maybe if MS and CJ hit it big with ROA, which is going to be a theatrical release, then a Stargate movie could work. I would love to see Daniel and Vala on the big screen!!
                        sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Well yeah but will audiences recognise him? They may recognise the name if they've seen the movie and they may recognise O'Neills and they may even recognise the Stargate but will they recognise anything else?
                          At the another thread somebody said that he/she has shown Ark of Truth to the people who were familiar with only ONE SG-1 episode and even if they didn't understand it entirely, they loved the movie because of the action, great characters and speciall effects. If the film is good in general you don't need to be familiar with the background to enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                            Yes, that's true. I remember dragging my husband to watch it, he used to hate Sci-Fi. It did have two big stars though, Kurt Russell and James Spader were, and still are, names to bank on. I fell in love with Daniel there and then.

Maybe if MS and CJ hit it big with ROA, which is going to be a theatrical release, then a Stargate movie could work. I would love to see Daniel and Vala on the big screen!!
                            Now this would be a real blockbuster!

Comment

At the another thread somebody said that he/she has shown Ark of Truth to the people who were familiar with only ONE SG-1 episode and even if they didn't understand it entirely, they loved the movie because of the action, great characters and speciall effects. If the film is good in general you don't need to be familiar with the background to enjoy it.
                              No of course not. But are people going to shell out 5 quid to go and see a movie when all they really know about it is that it is a movie to a series they've never seen OR if they don't know about the series, the sequel to a movie from 1994 with totally different actors.

Comment

Working...
                              X