Star Trek 7 season pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek 7 season pattern?

Is it a pattern that three star treks in a row (TNG,DSN,Voyager) lasted/ended in their 7th season? I always wondered if the crew who make a new star trek just sit down and predetermine a 7-year plan. I thought that TNG could have gone for another year, easily.

TNG could have gone to an 8th year and beyond, but since TOS had already done it's last movie and they had DS9 going, they decided to bring TNG to bring TNG to a close so they could do movies while they did DS9 & VOY. DS9 almost ended with 6 seasons, they got a 7th season at the last minute. When VOY came along, they figured the previous two shows both ended on a highnote after 7 years, so they decided to make that a full run for a Trek show. I'd like to see ENT last 7 years as well, but it seems more likely that the show will end either this year or next. Not really dissapointed, as long as the show gets resolution.

Comment

7 is a nice number to leave on. I feel like there are too many shows that just say "Well, we'll just try to keep going" and they don't seem to have any kind of plans to end it at all, and then the show starts to get watered down, and lose its edge, because the showrunners aren't building up to anything, except maybe some season finale or something. I say every show should already go into it knowing (roughly, at least) when they're going to end it, so they can plan ahead.

I never watched much "Babylon 5" but most fans of the show will tell you this kinda formula worked well for it- knowing where the story is going and sticking with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
        7 is a nice number to leave on. I feel like there are too many shows that just say "Well, we'll just try to keep going" and they don't seem to have any kind of plans to end it at all, and then the show starts to get watered down, and lose its edge, because the showrunners aren't building up to anything, except maybe some season finale or something. I say every show should already go into it knowing (roughly, at least) when they're going to end it, so they can plan ahead.

I never watched much "Babylon 5" but most fans of the show will tell you this kinda formula worked well for it- knowing where the story is going and sticking with it.
        Yes. 7 is a nice number to leave on. But for Stargate: SG-1 it will leave on 8 or 9. I'm praying 9!!!

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
        Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
        "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
        My deviantART profile

Comment

I was hoping SG1 would finish at 7, and continue through mini-series. But w\e.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

No mini-series, I want movies!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
              No mini-series, I want movies!
              Who says you can't have both?
              Rocky

Comment

Oversaturation. Seriously, thas why Trek's in a rut. If they had stuck with DS9 only while TNG did movies, they could'a moved on to ENT and done DS9 movies (better chance this way, despite ratings). I did enjoy VOY, but doing two shows and movies kind'a got people "bored" with Trek. If SG-1's going to end, then end it. Doing a mini-series is not an ending. To me, that's just a shorter "new season." Either end it or don't, but when it does end, I want to see a big screen movie, possibly a film series if it does well enough.

Oops, it seems I hijacked the thread... Sorry!

Comment

TNG ratings were going down so 7 was a good time to stop. DS9 had it's best ratings in the 7th season and could have gone on for more seasons, but they didn't want it to go longer than TNG.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                    TNG ratings were going down so 7 was a good time to stop.
                    Actually, they were ready for Season 8. They only ended the show after Season 7 so they could do movies.

DS9 had it's best ratings in the 7th season and could have gone on for more seasons, but they didn't want it to go longer than TNG.
                    DS9 "barely" got Season 7, and when they did, that was officially the final season.

Comment

Yes they were going to do more TNG, but didn't, which is good.

And B5 hardly got a 5th season too, so whats your point? It still could have gone on for many more seasons considering season 7 od DS9 is one of the highest, if not the highest ratings in Trek history.
                      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

DS9 had the potential to continue, true, but the franchise head, Rick Berman, had no interrest in continuing DS9, thus the show was brought to a conclusion. As for ratings? Bah, everything I've read has indicated that DS9 & VOY had crappy ratings that was "just good enough" to warrant a new season. That doesn't mean they were bad shows though, just that they struggled to remain on the air.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralJackO'Neill
                          Yes. 7 is a nice number to leave on. But for Stargate: SG-1 it will leave on 8 or 9. I'm praying 9!!!
                          Yeah, well, the way things are going, I'm hoping for 9 as well. It just doesn't seem like there's enough time left to tie up all the loose ends and give it a really good end with season 8... but that's just me...

Comment

Like others have said, TNG ended at Season 7 so they could pursue movies. It might've been able to go on, but I think it started to go downhill in season 7. "Sub Rosa" anyone? It could be attributed to Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga focusing all their energies on "Generations", but who knows. Apparently everyone involved wanted DS9 to go on, but Rick Berman decided otherwise. Which really sucks, because Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore, the two guys who really ran DS9, said they could've done so many more things with the series. But Berman and Braga wanted to do Voyager so they ended DS9. I'm pretty certain that VOY was guarenteed seven years from the very beginning. Although I heard the same about ENT, and even the cast and crew of ENT are in agreement that this will be the show's last year.

As for ratings, it went roughly like this:
                            TNG>DS9>VOY>>>>>>>>>ENT.
                            MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Well, from all the interviews and things I've read, some accept it as "the end" for them, and others have a "wait and see" attitude. I, of course, am hoping it lasts till season 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X