Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Movies - Stand alones or story builders?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Movies - Stand alones or story builders?

Just a general survey on what you guys think would work better. Should they focus on advancing the Stargate story with future movies or make more stand alone stuff?

i think that they should make them 50-50 => standalone movies that evolve story

Comment

Indeed. I think stand alones advance the story enough, I wouldn't want any arc driven ones just for the sake of it, not unless they're going to sit down and meticulously plan an epic trilogy or something.
      Last edited by jenks; 27 May 2008, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by usernr1337 View Post
        i think that they should make them 50-50 => standalone movies that evolve story

Kinda like Continuum, which is stand-alone but also progresses (or perhaps closes) the Baal arc.
        Mia: Don't you hate that?
        Vincent: Hate what?
        Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
        Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
        Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
        - Pulp Fiction

Comment

I also think that a good solution would be in the middle: stand alone movies that enhance story and mythology of Stargate.
          But it would be great to see some small arcs, for example a trilogy, as jenks said.

What I really hope is that next movies will be about some other Earh mythology, like the Mayan one or something. I'm a little bored by all this sci-fi aspect, Stargate is wonderful because it's a good mix of sci-fi, adventure and mythology, not only sci-fi!
          An Italian Gater

Comment

Yeah definitely, mythology is something they need to bring back in a big way imo.

Comment

To herald back the mythology aspect to sg-1 would be a welcomed breath of fresh air.I concur that the extreme scifi driven stories (read space ships) have gradually become a monotonous distaseful plot device.

Comment

I think a balance of the two would be awesome!
                sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

A nice mixture of both would work nicely. And yes, stand-alones can advance the overall Stargate story. However, deeper arc-type movies are great too.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

While new directions could be interesting, I would like the movies to finish some of the loose threads.

Such as:

Daniel's Grandfather and the Crystal Skull plotline
                    The Nox
                    The Aschen
                    Perhaps a time travel/AU where we find the Asguard before their race was dying
                    Seeing if Jonas survived the Ori occupation of this world

I'm all for using the gate and not the ships for a bit, and more mythology would be lovely.
                    Last edited by MasySyma; 30 May 2008, 08:28 PM. Reason: I forgot the Aschen
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

The problem with a link to the MW is we have lost our tie with in the stargate universe, the ark and continuum happened before the end of Atlantis season 4.

MasySyma has made an interesting point though...
                      Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                      I would like the movies to finish some of the loose threads.

Such as:
                      The Nox
                      The Aschen
                      Perhaps a time travel/AU where we find the Asgard before their race was dying
                      Interesting!

sigpic

Comment

Continuum happens during season 5 now, they've changed the continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                          While new directions could be interesting, I would like the movies to finish some of the loose threads.

Such as:

The Nox
                          The Aschen
                          Perhaps a time travel/AU where we find the Asguard before their race was dying

I'm all for using the gate and not the ships for a bit, and more mythology would be lovely.
                          I agree there are already enough good unfinished story arcs that could be done. Although, the crystal skull would probably not be one of them even though Stargate got to that myth first. (I do like telling my friends I already knew all about that long before Indiana Jones came along). But yeah, what happened to the Aschen? They're still out there, cold, calculating and as malevolent as ever.

I would add:
                          • Linea. You know her curiosity eventually won out and she took the antidote again.
                          • Oma Desala- I don't think she's going to fight Anubis forever.
                          • Sam and Jack- Obviously I think they've dragged this one out long enough.

I don't know why they would want to embark on a bunch of new stories with so many great existing ones to build on.

Another advantage of using existing characters or stories is that not all of them require huge budgets. I'm for leaving the CGI and cool spaceships out of the next one to do something that just makes you go "hmm..." like they used to be so good at. Scorched Earth, The Other Side and Unnatural Selection- stories that make you think. Stories like that used to be their strong point and I know they can do it again. Let the big-budget flicks carry the shoot-em-ups, Stargate can't compete with that anyway. They can compete on a more intellectual level if they want to.

Comment

We are lucky, if we get more DVD movie, so stand alone adventures would be better. There are so many unclosed storyline, that they could make films until 2020.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

i think, standalones that build on unfinished arcs from the show's past.

like others have said, aris boch or the aschen or those ugly people inpersonating aliens from Foothold, things like t hat.

I don't think 'epic three movie arcs' is the best choice for these writers to take. I really don't think they have storylines like that in them. Stuff like that takes tons of time and planning and juggling and vision, and - unless they add to their staff some fresh blood with some big ideas - i just think it'll be beyond them.

stick with the framework of the show's established canon and build on that
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X