7th Symbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th Symbol

In several episodes, (not including Gamekeeper or Solitudes) when we see a shot of the DHD as it is being dialed, we can see that the 7th symbol they press before the big red button is one of the 38 symbols common to every gate. What's the deal with this?

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
    In several episodes, (not including Gamekeeper or Solitudes) when we see a shot of the DHD as it is being dialed, we can see that the 7th symbol they press before the big red button is one of the 38 symbols common to every gate. What's the deal with this?
    It just means that not every gate has a unique point of origin symbol, some use the standard symbols as their PoO.
    Of course, in real life terms, it is just too expensive to make a new symbol every week that will probably only be seen for 2 seconds in the entire episode. Its just one of those things that is done out of necessity.

Comment

are you referencing the puddle jumper DHD or the regular DHD? The Puddle Jumper has a Generic button that always dials the POO symbol no matter which gate your at.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
        are you referencing the puddle jumper DHD or the regular DHD? The Puddle Jumper has a Generic button that always dials the POO symbol no matter which gate your at.
        which is probably the same as the big red button.. I like to think of the Big Red as the POO. But I also think its probably not, even though it would make more sense, and be easier.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Yep, it would, but I guess in the first season there were some episodes that they got there and Daniel said that he got the 7th symbol from looking at the dhd and that there were 1 unknown symbol, therefore the home symbol.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post
            Yep, it would, but I guess in the first season there were some episodes that they got there and Daniel said that he got the 7th symbol from looking at the dhd and that there were 1 unknown symbol, therefore the home symbol.
            yeah i know... damn Daniel and his dialog
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

All the gates have a unique point of origin symbol, the show just doesn't have the money or the time to change the symbol on their gate and DHD props for every single different freaking gate.

Also this has been ask probably dozens of times already

Comment

Maybe the red button automatically dials the 7th chevron since it is unique for every planet. We know the DHD can update it's coordinates to the Gate network .

Comment

Yeah, there is no reason why the AT (Earth's PoO) cannot be a symbol in some addresses.

Comment

What always really bothered me is that the two different earth gates had the same point of origin symbol.
                    ...but then I guess they would have had to change the shows logo to a regular old A in Stargate.
                    "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

In the tokra part 1, when sam has a vision of jolinar escaping an old tokra base to the new one, the point of origin of that planet is part of the address to earth (looks like the U with a dot on the top)

My question is, how would one travel to earth from this planet?

Comment

As Daniel says in another episode when he is talking about the Chevrons and how they work...

he states that the first 6 chevrons represent a position in space (a grouping of stars) and these six are your address to a new planet (when he's talking there is a cube behind him and each chevron corresponds with one face of the cube).

With the adress which has ONE of the same coordinates as Earth, it would most like simply mean that this address is relatively close to that of Earth...

K_ot_W
                        ....I'm gonna go eat some cake. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                          In the tokra part 1, when sam has a vision of jolinar escaping an old tokra base to the new one, the point of origin of that planet is part of the address to earth (looks like the U with a dot on the top)

My question is, how would one travel to earth from this planet?
                          For gates with a DHD this isn't a problem as the inner ring doesn't rotate so there is no physical reason why the same glyph can't be used more than once in an address.
                          For Earth, this also isn't a problem, as once a glyph has been locked in the inner ring can continue to rotate. It doesn't matter where this glyph moves to, it is already locked in.

Maybe the rotating of the inner ring is simply a legacy leftover. Maybe they did rotate initially, then the Ancients realised that they were running out of addresses so locked off the inner ring and modified the DHDs dialling procedures so that a glyph could be used more than once in an address.
                          Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                          Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

But if a stargate can have one of the glyphs common to all DHDs be the point of origin, how does the team figure out which one of the common symbols to use?

Comment

But if a stargate can have one of the glyphs common to all DHDs be the point of origin, how does the team figure out which one of the common symbols to use?
                              The ask the natives.

Personally, I think it's time they drop the whole "Which one is the point of origin!?" idea, and just engrave it on the big red button (or blue button in Pegasus).
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X