Lasers VS. Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lasers VS. Shields

Ok, shields seem to be transparent to visible light at least, otherwise our heroes would be blind with them up and forced to edtend sesors outside. So can a laser penetrate a shield like it wasn't there?

I would assume that you mean a regular everyday laser made of just light really, and not the POW BANG DESTROY lasers that are used as weapons on the show...

I guess in theory they could, since they consist of light but its hard to say.
    You make a good point about the shield blinding the crew if it didnt allow for light to seep through...

Comment

Originally posted by Darynlxm View Post
      I would assume that you mean a regular everyday laser made of just light really, and not the POW BANG DESTROY lasers that are used as weapons on the show...

I guess in theory they could, since they consist of light but its hard to say.
      You make a good point about the shield blinding the crew if it didnt allow for light to seep through...
      HTos eain't lasers, their particle beams, lasers are speed of light. The question s if they do penetrate shields, then why hasn't anyoen throught of usin them as wepons?

Comment

Uh, tough question. The thing is, plasma shields (plasma windows) like the ones we can actually build (not sci-fi-ish energy shields) don't stop any form of energy. However, shields in Stargate, just like in other sci-fi, seem to be magically selective as to what they do and do not let through. I have to say, though, that the writers would probably say a laser couldn't penetrate a shield if they put it in an episode, simply because it would ruin their precious safety net.
        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

If I remember correctly, light is a form of energy. So, like energy weapons, light shouldn't enter shields. But we can say that the Asgard, and the Gouald and the races which have shields have some device that allows regular light to pass through, while highly focused light, like lasers can't pass.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
          Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
          The Chevron Team
          Spoiler:
          Never make everything Organic!
          Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
          :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
          :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
          :The drones are heading towards us.
          :Those drones look familiar...
          : SQUID?!?
          We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

I've always assumed they can just set the frequencies of light they want to let through.

Comment

And the force behind the light beam as well. Plus some shields can hold back air pressure, while others allow it to pass through. It's down to parameters/requirements.
              http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

I made a similar thread to this once. A laser beam is a little bit more than visible light so I'm going to go with no but who knows.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by jonty-comp View Post
                  I've always assumed they can just set the frequencies of light they want to let through.
                  and your correct, shields work on letting in certain light frequencies and disapating others, so a normal laser pen would be let through because of the frequency its on where as laser weapons are on a higher frequancy because of the energy requirements so they are not let through

that probably make no scence to you but it does to me haha
                  sigpic

Comment

Let's say, to keep things simple, that shields have thresholds on frequency and amplitude.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

If it's a shield that deflects rather then absorbs then the deflection applied may be related to energy density, which means that the higher the energy the more it gets deflected, this counter-intuative because higher energy things tend to change their trajector slower, hence whatever means is used would take more energy to deflect it, which drains the capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                        If it's a shield that deflects rather then absorbs then the deflection applied may be related to energy density, which means that the higher the energy the more it gets deflected, this counter-intuative because higher energy things tend to change their trajector slower, hence whatever means is used would take more energy to deflect it, which drains the capacitors.
                        That sounds about right, exept when darts tried ot fly close to teh Deadalus slame dinto the shields, while 302s pass right through. So the shield is either mono-permeable, or it can decide which objects it let's pass though.

Comment

Working...
                        X