This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isaac Asimov's 'The Last Question'

I just thought I'd share this....it's one of Isaac Asimov's (many) great short stories and totally worth reading for any sci-fi geek.

The Last Question

/commence Asimov love-in below
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I remember the first time I read it, and how I couldn't stop running it over in my head. It's a classic of the short story SF genre

Madeleine

Comment

I just read it, it is quite interesting, not much to say beyond that.

Comment

It's among Asimov's best shorts certainly.
        sigpic

Comment

I just read it, very interesting story
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. While good it was not spectacular

Comment

Isn't that the hallmark of a great story though? Not that it blows you away on the spot, that it sticks with you and makes you think for quite a while afterward?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The story is good, don't get me wrong, but the way it was written left something to be desired.

Comment

It's a Creation Myth of sorts. I've always liked it and find it continually interesting and applicable. As all good SF should be.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, I love this story.

ACtualyl it has a very special place in my heart for quite a silly reason - year 8 we had a big book of short stories for literature class, loads of short stories. My dad just gave me his copy of the Foundatino books tor ead because we have quite a similar taste in books (and music and television and whatnot really) and so he said he thinks I'd like it - which I really did. And then, in the boredom of class, I discovered the story on the book and went "cool, Asimov!" and read it, pretending to be studying.
                    IT happened more than once, they were very boring classes. And I was so happy it was there, time and again
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I can level only one, minute criticism at the otherwise supperb story: It never names the solution. The solution that puts all other things into order. Indeed, the very counter to entropy itself! The final computer, which had taken the mantle of every challenge put before it, was left with the ultimate question of the universe! And the answer was...
                      Spoiler:
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                        I can level only one, minute criticism at the otherwise supperb story: It never names the solution. The solution that puts all other things into order. Indeed, the very counter to entropy itself! The final computer, which had taken the mantle of every challenge put before it, was left with the ultimate question of the universe! And the answer was...
                        Spoiler:
                        I think that it never names the solution because humans wouldn't be able to comprehend it and that includes you the reader

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                          I think that it never names the solution because humans wouldn't be able to comprehend it and that includes you the reader
                          I'm fine with knowing the answer. However, knowing the final answer does not percipitate knowledge of everything else. For example, I have no idea whether my plans with my semi-GF for this Friday will result in epic win. (it involves the Weird Al song 'Wanna B Ur Lovr'...)
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

To be honest, I didn't care for it myself. The grammar and overall language-use wasn't that great, and the storyline was a little hard to follow at times. I much prefer the short stories of more contemporary sci-fi writers, despite the talent Asimov shows in his other works (Foundation especially is amazing).
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Asimov is one of my favourite writers. This short story was an interesting read. Thanks for the link
                              Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Working...
                              X