Wormhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole

If the path of the wormhole is supposed to be relativly straight, how come the transition sequence looks so twisted? Or is that as straight as it gets?
    Last edited by songar87; 24 May 2008, 12:03 PM. Reason: typo

just make to make it cool, if they just had someone going through some broing straight tunnel, that would be no fun at all

Comment

They did it once in "2001" you see a reverse view of Joe getting de-particlized, the wormhole moving away from the screen instead of towards, then re-particilized. So yet, the wormhole is straight, it just looks cooler with twists and turns.
      When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
      Zatnikitelman

Comment

The misty tunnel effect just makes it look twisted. But that path is actually straight.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
        Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
        The Chevron Team
        Spoiler:
        Never make everything Organic!
        Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
        :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
        :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
        :The drones are heading towards us.
        :Those drones look familiar...
        : SQUID?!?
        We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

It wouldn't matter, because you don't actually see that while you travel anyway, being sent as a cloud of 0s and 1s.

Comment

Originally posted by jonty-comp View Post
            It wouldn't matter, because you don't actually see that while you travel anyway, being sent as a cloud of 0s and 1s.
            I think you're actually sent as energy rather than binary data.

If I had to come up with a reason for the wormhole not being straight, I'd say that there are maybe certain 'tides' or features to subspace which distort the wormhole so even though the path of the wormhole is straight from A to B but the features of subspace cause some distortions to occur, meaning there are some bends in it.

Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you get what I mean, and someone out there with a little more eloquence can put it in a more sensical way.

Comment

It's just to look cool, the people in the wormhole wouldn't see anything anyway, it's purely for the audience.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                If the path of the wormhole is supposed to be relativly straight, how come the transition sequence looks so twisted? Or is that as straight as it gets?
                its in the script?

I would say...it only appears to be bending because Space is bending around it.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

When do they say that wormholes are straight?

Comment

The only other possible explanation for the bendy-bending would be its a plot hole.

*gets sucked into a wormhole/plothole*

The Chevron Team
                    Spoiler:
                    :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.

Comment

Why do you say that? I mean, if you say that the wormhole's exist in subspace, then the super heavy element would not have been able to latch on to the wormhole and effect Ktau's sun the way it did.

If they do not exist in subspace, then they exist in our space, which means they would have to bend in order to go around solid matter, otherwise we would be dragging things along in the wormhole all the time.

This is Possibly a plot hole, but I think more evidence is needed by people who are more...awake than me.

Comment

There is no reason why a wormhole should be straight, a wormhole is simply a region of space that temporarily bridges two regions of space but is shorter then the standard route, a short cut does not need to be continuous or a straight line.

Comment

If I remember correctly, only our hyperspace engines work their magic in subspace. The wormholes are in real space, with all the nasty stuff like the superheavy elements.

The Chevron Team
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
                            If I remember correctly, only our hyperspace engines work their magic in subspace. The wormholes are in real space, with all the nasty stuff like the superheavy elements.
                            This is exactly what I was saying, I gave two options, each with their own problems.

The way you are putting it is that the wormhole travels through our space, so then the wormhole could not possibly be straight, otherwise we would encounter things affecting the wormhole all the time, dragging things along with it and the like, and since we don't, it is possible to infer that the wormhole is not straight...

Comment

Wormholes do not pass through normal space! The very idea of a wormhole is that it takes a short cut through subspace. Look it up. It's been said on the show as well, the whole apple analogy that Sam tried to explain to Jack once.

As to why it's not 'straight', the lowest energy state of a wormhole would be to have the shortest distance between two points. Ordinarily, this would be a straight line, but when dealing with 4 dimensional space-time, this is not necessarily so (the shortest distance is called a geodesic, in 2D/3D space this is a straight line). Extra dimensions could make the route through subspace even more warped, making the shortest distance far from straight, so it's conceivable that the shortest route a wormhole could take would appear quite curved.

Comment

Working...
                              X