PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to say this, but Season 7 was awful

mancslad08
May 7th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Hi everyone,

As the thread title suggests, I feel like season 7 has been the worst season of SG-1... probably due to Brad Wright leaving. Let's go through some of the crap episodes.

Enemy Mine: BORING, long, Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.

Space Race: Wanted to be funny and cool. It wasn't really. Ending was appaling.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Chimera: Hmmmmm, not the way I wanted to see Osiris come to an end

Death Knell: Boring

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.

Madeleine
May 7th, 2004, 04:27 AM
What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.

What do *I* think? I think that if you ask for No Ship Comments in a thread like this, you'll be jolly lucky to get what you want! But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I've liked S7 overall, just not as much as the previous seasons. Each to her own, vive la difference and so forth.

mancslad08
May 7th, 2004, 05:08 AM
You say that I'd be lucky if I don't get any ship comments "on a thread like this" but... how does this thread in ANY way relate to ship? LOL

Anyway, NO SHIP please in this thread. We get enough in every other topic.

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Will agree with your assessment of S7. The eps tanked, big time. And it was a lack of plots and character development that bugged me most. It wasn' JUST the Subject That Shall Not Be Named, it was practically everything else, too. Cliches, retreads, "homages", lazy plotting, poor character development, over-spotlighting of individual vs. team eps, convenient glossing over of major plot points in favor of glorifying sensationalism... Yep, there was a lot wrong with S7, IMO, and I doubt things will change much next season.

But I still love the first six years of the show. Good stuff, there. If only TPTB hadn't set the bar so high, if only they hadn't produced such great television in those years, then maybe I wouldn't be so bothered by the banality and weaknesses and blatant pandering that went on this past year. ;)

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 05:42 AM
It surely wasn't there best season but not all of the episodes were bad. Personally, there was only two episodes where I was thinking "damn when is something going to happen" and that was Grace (possibly the most boring episode i've seen) and Space Race wasn't the most exciting.

MagnoliaAnaglypta
May 7th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Will agree with your assessment of S7. The eps tanked, big time. And it was a lack of plots and character development that bugged me most. It wasn' JUST the Subject That Shall Not Be Named, it was practically everything else, too. Cliches, retreads, "homages", lazy plotting, poor character development, over-spotlighting of individual vs. team eps, convenient glossing over of major plot points in favor of glorifying sensationalism... Yep, there was a lot wrong with S7, IMO, and I doubt things will change much next season.

What she said. Exactly what she said. I love it when people do my work for me...

Actually, having said that, I thought that it didn't start out too badly. Fallen and Homecoming could have been better - but they could have been waaaay worse. Fragile Balance and Orpheus were two of the few episodes this season that I can't say too much against. But Avenger was just plain 'offensive' and everything from that point onwards utterly failed its initial promise and delivered maybe 50% of what it was capable of.

There were some really good ideas this season, but they were so badly realised. ShadowMaat, I'd add 'clumsy cutting' to your list, because I noticed this more than ever before.

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Fallen/Homecoming probably could have been a lot worse, but I still wasn't overly enamoured of it. The "homage" to Star Wars is a neverending source of irritation every time I think of the premiere and the sheer overwhelming convenience of everything exceeded my ability to suspend disbelief.

Fragile Balance was kinda hokey and swiss cheesey with plot holes, but it was saved by the brilliant performance of Michael Welch. I didn't like some of the character traits he was given (the obsession with beer and his leering at the teenage girls), but he still did an excellent job with what he was given. Great mimicry. ;)

I know a lot of people hated Chimera, and there were certaily parts I didn't care for, but it was SUCH a relief to see Carter being happy and all shippy with a guy who WASN'T Jack and who DIDN'T die. ;) Hopefully we'll see some aftermath of the deal with Osiris, too.

Fallout was aggravating in a lot of ways, but it was so nice to see Jonas again. Even with the hair. ;) I'd love to find out what other story ideas Corin submitted that were rejected by TPTB.

Heroes 1&2 had its share of problems, but I still really liked it.

Other than that I either didn't like or didn't watch a majority of S7 and I don't feel I've missed an awful lot.

Minor spoiler: (I hear that Thoth was mentioned, and I would LOVE to know more about him, see if I can use him in a fic, but that's about it.)

I am currently not planning to watch S8 unless Jonas or Pete show up again or unless the plot actually sounds halfway decent which, so far, none of them do. Not to me, anyway. ;)

Clumsy cutting and the whole "major things happening offscreen", which bothered me tremendously. I'm never going to accept the marginalization of Daniel's return and regaining of memory as anything remotely resembling acceptable.

And I'm still annoyed about the booting of Jonas, in case there's someone left in fandom who didn't know that. ;)

spg_1983
May 7th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Hi everyone,

As the thread title suggests, I feel like season 7 has been the worst season of SG-1... probably due to Brad Wright leaving. Let's go through some of the crap episodes.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

are you seriously trying to say that you think Grace was better than Death Knell and the others? I loved season seven but Grace is quite possibly the worst episode of SG-1 ever!

Anubis
May 7th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Season seven was great. The effects and storylines of most of the episodes were pretty interesting. I have to admit, Grace was the worst episode I've seen yet on Stargate. It was boring and long winded. The Lost City was great and I like Evolution and Death Knell. Plus Heroes wasn't all that bad

Slainte
May 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Well, I guess I'm Ms. Glass half full, but I enjoyed almost all of the episodes this season. The only one that I really didn't enjoy (and there were a few good moments in that ep) was "Enemy Mine". I've never liked the Unas stories and this Unas story was worse than most.

I thought "Grace" was an exceptional episode with marvelous acting by Amanda Tapping. It was a risk taking episode that stretched everyone involved in it. It was different, it was subjective, maybe even a little experimental.

SG-1 does fall short of my expectations in many ways, the fact they haven't really dealt with Daniel's ascension is only one area. Season 7, though, shows the show is still growing and evolving.There were many good episodes, some great, in S7.

Skydiver
May 7th, 2004, 09:27 AM
for me

the first part of s7 started slow and bleh. hastily slapped together eps and plots. clumsily written episodes, a complete lack of drama. Heck, i went to the movies one friday night rather than stay home and watch. and if it wasn't for being in chat with some friends and lampooning some of the eps, i woulda turned off the set

i thought things did get better for the second half. There were far more enjoyable eps there than in the first 11 for me

Ajayrious
May 7th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I loved Season 7, okay it was nowhere near as good as Seasons 1 - 4 , but season 5 brought the level down and Season 6 was even worse, Season 7 was a welcome return to something approachoing the shows best.

There is not enough Jack thats for sure, but sometimes you hardly notice he wasnt there. Grace was interesting although it all together lacked any sort of greatness to it. Heroes was a bad episode from the liking it point of view, but from a film-making point of view its the best show ever.

The Lost city was amazing, and a great ending.

bcmilco
May 7th, 2004, 10:23 AM
On the whole I thought the season was middling, however individually there were some great episodes that I really enjoyed. I really liked Hereoes, and TLC, Fragile Balance, and Orphius.
I thought Death Knell was a really solid episode as was Inauguration, Birthright and Lifeboat. The rest fell in the middle IMO with a few falling below average.

I won't mention what I thought of the Promethius because we're not supossed to make any comments on ships. :p :D

Lord Loz
May 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
I loves season 7. Cant think of any episode I wouldn't watch again. Which is the same as every season of Stargate. I recognise their were problems with it (I would have LOVED more Jonas) and some plots were laughable, but I still enjoyed it.

Way I see it, It's 20 hours of sheer enjoyment. Which cant be bad :thup:

angsty_otaku
May 7th, 2004, 01:07 PM
overall as a season...season 7 was disappointing...not awful just disappointing. yes there were highlights like all of the two parters. if we were comparing this season of stargate to some seasons of other shows...we would gladly be gloating about how season 7 was "pwning" the other show. as compared to other stargate season, season 7 just didn't live up to standards...not awful though...

Shipperahoy
May 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Season 7 wasn't my favorite season by far but it also wasn't my worst. It had it's faults but I still found myself looking forward to every Friday night and as long as the show keeps doing that I'll keep watching.

THE BIG UNIT
May 7th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I really enjoyed season 7, not my favorite season but definitely not my least favourite.I really loved the Lost city, heroes, death knell, grace, orphues. fallen and homecoming - wasn't very original but enjoyed it alot, i liked the Daniel/Jonas paring, they should bring jonas back for a few more episodes next season and do more of that. There was not a episode i hated, the only episode i didn't enjoy much was enemy mine, but it wasn't terrible.

There were some shows i actually didn't like to much when i watched them the first time such as Birthright, fallout, fragile balance and avenger 2.0 but when i watched them again i found i liked them alot more. Considering this is a Season 7 it really is great, especially when compared to other season 7's on other shows. this was actually one of my favourite seasons. i enjoyed space race and chimeria - love seeing sam so happy. i was Actually very surprised about how good Inauguration was - i was expecting something boring but i actually thought it was very good, especially considering it was a clip show.

I love stargate and all the seasons, some were not as good as others but i have always enjoyed them, if i didn't i wouldn't be rewatching them all the time.

Dragonlor
May 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I found season seven mixed. Some were good, some were awful. SPOILERS and stuff...
Fallen/Homecoming: One thing that bothers me is the fact that SG-1 now takes dangerous risks not because they need to, but because the characters act like they know everything will turn out okay so there is no reason to be careful. Daniel and Jonas are trapped on a bad guys ship millions of light years away...yawn...no problem...let's not even pretend to be worried.

Fragile Balance: I thought it was an okay way to leave out RDA.

Orpheus: The only problem I find is that fact no Goa'uld in the universe protects their ships from infiltration by a mere force of two SG-1 members.

Revisions: Kind of boring.

Lifeboat: Also boring.

Enemy Mine: I never liked the Chaka episodes so I found this painfully boring.

Space Race: Boring. Teal'c, Jack, and Daniel might as well not have been in the episode. They were just screen fillers.

Avenger 2.0: Kind of corny but an interesting idea. Bad ending though.

Birthright: Meh, it was alright. It actually advanced a bit of storyline in regards to the Jaffa and their dependancies.

Evolution P1/P2: Ugh. The Central America storyline was very boring and while the Super Soldier idea was good, I think it was executed poorly.

Grace: I found this different and interesting but the ending was too predictable.

Fallout: Just an excuse to put Jonas in an episode. It was nice to see him but this episode was pretty bad I thought.

Chimera: If it was that easy to infiltrate Earth, Anubis could have just beamed down a few bombs to blow us up...

Death Knell: I liked the SGC argueing more than the dragged out forest running...

Heroes P1/P2: The first part was slow but I guess it was needed for the second. I liked the second part but it was a shame to see Janet go.

Resurrection: Boring.

Inauguration: Interesting new characters and a nice way to make a clip show.

Lost City P1/P2: I liked it all but I thought it was way too rushed. You couldn't really get worried about the invasion a whole lot since there were no scenes of the power stations and whatever being destroyed. A mere 5-10 seconds would have done it.

DarkQuee1
May 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
First half, pretty bad. Second half, much, much better.

The only stories in the first half that I could tolerate were FB (which at least had something to do with the threads) and Avenger (which at least had a solution that they had to think about instead of being the most simplistic answer around as the other first half eps ended up using). Most of the eps in the first half had no point or went nowhere or had no real dramatic tension. And EM was abysmal, one of the worst of any season.

It got better starting with Evol, though the Daniel-in-peril storyline was unnecessary; I would have preferred to have him bring the artifact back to the SGC and then have the entire team working on the SS problem. Standouts for me in the second half were Grace (great character ep), Deathknell (important thread story), Heroes I & II, Inauguration (amazing for a clip ep, but it was a really important ep) and TLC I & II, which was superb.

The first half of the season was the worst Stargate season ever. Second half was much more solid. Not as good as 4 or 6, but better than a lot of 5.

J.

Dani347
May 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
The first half of the season was the worst Stargate season ever. Second half was much more solid.

I feel the exact opposite. First half much better. Second half, horrid. Episodes that could have been good were ruined. Grace was totally gag inducing throw heavy object at the screen terrible. And, out of the ones in the first half, the worst was Avenger 2.0. In fact, if it hadn't been for Grace, I probably would have counted that as the worst episode I've ever seen on the show (well, I'm still not sure where Wormhole X-Treme falls in. But, it's somewhere).

THE BIG UNIT
May 8th, 2004, 05:57 AM
It seems that season 7 had alot of episodes that you either love or hate, i enjoyed them, not hated them. like grace - i thought it was excellent, some people think it was bad.
This season is the first season that i have actually watched as the episodes are released (or a couple of days after). and read about what people think about them on the forums. there are alot of forums that i went to that were just so negative that i found it was ruining my enjoyment of the show, so i stopped going there. Thankfully this forum isn't one of them, its good and i like hearing peoples opinions, but other places out there were just bashing the show so much that i had to stop going or it would ruin the show for me. lets hope this place doesn't turn into that. and by the way this was not an attack on people who didn't like the season, you are entitled to your opinion. im just wondering does anybody feel this way about the forums ruining your enjoyment because of bashing so much.
Some of you, being from U.S.A and U.K have had the Internet alot longer then i have, are the responses from earlier seasons like 4, 5, and 6 like they are now?

Dani347
May 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM
im just wondering does anybody feel this way about the forums ruining your enjoyment because of bashing so much.

No. Two reasons.

1. I don't let other people's opinions change my own. If I enjoy something, I don't care if the whole world hates it, I'll still enjoy it.

2. I'm probably bashing the show as much or more than anyone right now. Or, rather, I'm critcizing what I see as flaws.

keshou
May 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I think season 7 was uneven, but overall I ended up enjoying about the same number of episodes as I did in season 6 and 5. Not the level of seasons 3 and 4, my favorites, but I was still entertained.

The last half of the season seemed more polished, highlighted by Heroes 2 and Lost City 1 & 2. The first half of the year was a little disjointed and had a run of three episodes in a row that I really didn't care for at all (EM, Space Race and Avenger). I did like Fallen/Homecoming, Orpheus, Lifeboat, Fragile Balance and Birthright. Ev. I&II were okay, just a little flat compared to other mid-season two-parters.

On the old forum, someone called season 6 the "Forgotten Gem". If I had to pick a theme for season 7 it would be "Lost Opportunities". I was disappointed that Daniel got his memory back so quickly, and that they didn't do more with the descension storyline. I was disappointed that they didn't make Jonas a recurring character --he and Daniel were very good together and they could have used the extra character. I was disappointed that they didn't do more with Teal'c, given the absence of RDA.

*However*. Given the challenges posed by RDA's limited availability, shooting 3-4 episodes at a time, the late start in writing for the season, the absence of Brad Wright, I think Robert Cooper did a good job pulling the whole thing together. I think it must have been a logistical nightmare scheduling the production of the show and it must have been very difficult on the writers and the actors trying to keep Jack in the episodes, yet being limited on how much you can use him. So kudos for that.

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 09:06 AM
im just wondering does anybody feel this way about the forums ruining your enjoyment because of bashing so much.

I'm one of the ones doing the "bashing" so I'd have to say that no, it doesn't bother me. Likewise, people pouring blessings on the show and waxing poetic about elements I hated and raving about how wonderful everything still is doesn't make me any less inclined to come here. I have my opinions, they have theirs. If everyone felt the same way about everything, it would be very boring.

Fan 1: I loved that ep, didn't you?
Fan 2: Oh yes, it was a wonderful ep!
Fan 3: Truly, it was amazing!
Fan 1: Yes, amazing, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Who wants to sit around and read that all day? All bashing comments wouldn't be any fun, either. Some of the best conversations here come from a difference of opinion.

Frankly, I also find it a little reassuring that I'm not the only one who has problems with the current direction of the show. It helps me feel as if some of my complaints aren't strictly the result of over-critical biases.

Plus, like Dani said, I'm not gonna let the opinions of others ruin my own feelings. I still love things about the show and I'm still happy to discuss them, but I'm not going to shut up about the things I DON'T like just because people hate me for it. Yes, I find it very upsetting that people keep giving me negative votes on my posts, but this is who I am and I'm not about to change just to please them.

keshou
May 8th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Plus, like Dani said, I'm not gonna let the opinions of others ruin my own feelings. I still love things about the show and I'm still happy to discuss them, but I'm not going to shut up about the things I DON'T like just because people hate me for it. Yes, I find it very upsetting that people keep giving me negative votes on my posts, but this is who I am and I'm not about to change just to please them.

Well I always find your posts interesting, even if I may not always agree. Kind of think of you as the forum gritch. In a nice way, of course. :D

I like a balanced forum myself, enjoy thoughful criticism of the show and the episode. I *don't* like forums that just become bashing zones, where the posters seem to feed each other's negativity. That's just no fun. If you hate the show that much, stop watching.

What's this bit about giving someone negative votes on their posts? [edited to add: nevermind, just figured out how to do that]. How do you know you're getting negative votes?

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM
How do you know you're getting negative votes?

Technically, most of my votes at this point don't count either way because everyone is too new, but by looking at the individual posts in question, I can get an idea of whether it was intended as a "positive" vote or a "negative" one and most of them at this point have been decidedly negative. :P

I'd be careful of that "forum glitch" moniker if I were you. I placed a jinx on a friend whose cable connection now keeps crashing... :D

Muahaha...

keshou
May 8th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Technically, most of my votes at this point don't count either way because everyone is too new, but by looking at the individual posts in question, I can get an idea of whether it was intended as a "positive" vote or a "negative" one and most of them at this point have been decidedly negative. :P

Maybe you can challenge yourself to get the most negative reputation of all the posters!! Yay!! Embrace your destiny.

I'd be careful of that "forum glitch" moniker if I were you. I placed a jinx on a friend whose cable connection now keeps crashing... :DMuahaha...

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif

Well at least I'll know who to blame for anything that goes wrong! :p :p

(you do know I'm kidding...er.....right????)

Slainte
May 8th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Shadow - I wouldn't give negative votes to anyone. I just don't do that. I also don't mind less than favorable opinions about the show or about certain episodes. It gives me a chance to reexamine my take on it.
When an episode is criticized, though, I expect the one doing the criticizing to have actually watchedthe episode. I don't think anyone can legitimately criticize without actually seeing each episode in question.

Watch the show, make the judgment, express the opinion, good or bad :)

Don't watch the show, make judgment based on spoilers, express the opinion without the research :(

nukechuck
May 8th, 2004, 11:00 AM
im just wondering does anybody feel this way about the forums ruining your enjoyment because of bashing so much?

Yes

I used to go to the scifi channel board and everyone there would just whine and moan about how much stargate sucked so I started to buy into thier bs. Then I stopped going there and I watched my season seven recordings and thought to myself "Damn this season kicks butt!" Then I thought back and their have always been posts like this for every season ( except season one)
Examples-
S2- This season sucked because of the tok'ra in carter. blah blah blah
S3- This season sucked because of Sokar gripe gripe gripe
S4- This season sucked because Glassner left whine whine whine
S5- This season sucked because daniel died moan moan moan
S6- This season sucked because of Jonas and The Sci Fi Channel
Complain Complain
S7- This season sucked because O'Niell wasn't in it as much and because Jonas left and becauseCarter is getting a life(AKA the cop) Moan Whine Whine Moan

The truth is every season is perfect each with its high points and low points. For instance I dread watching One false step because i think its dumb but when I watch it I think "this episode is a good episode I shouldn't judge it like I do" All of the seasons are the best in my opinion.

Lil Naitch
May 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I think this season wasn't as good as the others because of a variety of reasons, but mostly due to RDA's reduced shooting schedual. I understand wanting to spend time with your family, especially a new baby, but the writers should have done a better job explaining why he wasn't there all of the time. Personally, would have been better if he had been promoted to general or something during season 7 and helped Hammond run the SGC- that way he would have a reason not to be around so much.

thor39
May 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I agree season 7 did let them all down well i liked the finale and evolution perhaps :D

Dani347
May 8th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Then I stopped going there and I watched my season seven recordings and thought to myself "Damn this season kicks butt!"

So, are you saying that you read some opinions before seeing the season, and than saw it for yourself and formed your own opinion? Because that makes sense.

OR, are you saying that you watched the show, formed an opinion that it was pretty good, and then let other people change your mind just because they didn't enjoy it? And, then went back and watched it again after you left the board and decided it was okay again? Because I don't understand that.

Lil Naitch
May 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM
So, are you saying that you read some opinions before seeing the season, and than saw it for yourself and formed your own opinion? Because that makes sense.

OR, are you saying that you watched the show, formed an opinion that it was pretty good, and then let other people change your mind just because they didn't enjoy it? And, then went back and watched it again after you left the board and decided it was okay again? Because I don't understand that.

It's called peer pressure.

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I used to go to the scifi channel board and everyone there would just whine and moan about how much stargate sucked so I started to buy into thier bs.

Well, you went to the SCIFI board, that's your problem. That is the most negative, troll-infested, vile, despicable and downright disgusting board I've ever been on. It's full of trolls who do nothing but attack everything in sight which makes everyone around them paranoid and prone to attack which ticks off the others who start to attack... It's a vicious unwelcoming pit and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It used to be a pretty decent board, but that was a long time ago and things have been getting progressively worse. That is the board that contains personal attacks against the actors and lovely posts expressing sympathy for the horrifying near-death "accidents" of the various castmembers. It's the place where people pose as other posters or even as the actors themselves in order to show off and make matters even worse. I'd say "avoid it like the Plague" but frankly the Plague would be an improvement.

When it comes to spoilers about upcoming eps/seasons, yes, I may allow other opinions to influence my thinking. But when it comes right down to me actually WATCHING and ep than mine is the only opinion that counts and I'm just as likely to go AGAINST popular opinion as agree with it.

Everyone (general everyone) ranted and raved and spit nails about how horrible Chimera was, and how Pete deserved to die a slow and agonizing death (and then be revived so he could die again), but that was one of the eps this season that I actually liked and I loved Pete.

Likewise, a lot of people spoke glowingly of Evolution 1&2. They praised it and I had good friends tell me I should watch it because it was just so good and it was a "classic" ep of Stargate, but I watched part 1 and found it so severely lacking I didn't bother with part 2.

Point is, you have to decide how much you're going to let people influence your thoughts. Is it a bboard's fault if you hate an ep just because everyone told you that you'd hate it? Or is it yours for believing them and not seeing for yourself?

I really really wanted to like S7. I didn't want to be like all the Jonas-bashing "If Daniel isn't in it, Stargate is gonna suck!" people who refused to watch S6 but continued to attack it (and Jonas) anyway. The tables were going to be reversed and I didn't want to be accused of hating S7 only because Jonas wasn't in it. I also didn't want to be someone who went looking for faults and found them. I tried hard to like the premiere, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and it wasn't just because of Jonas. Much to my surprise part of my dissatisfaction came from what I saw as a complete mishandling of Daniel's character as well.

I don't hate Daniel. Before S6 he was my favorite character. I wasn't looking forward to his return because I know it meant the end of Jonas (DON'T get me started on that), but I wanted to be wowed by his return. If I wasn't happy about the loss of Jonas I WAS happy about getting to see Daniel in action again. ...Except that everything I HAD loved about the character seemed mostly absent in the premiere. Daniel came off as very flat and uninterested. I know he had amnesia (for an eyeblink, don't get me started on THAT either), but there was just... nothing. I felt no connection to him anymore and the next couple of eps after Fallen/Homecoming did nothing to alleviate that feeling of blah and the disaffection seemed to have infested the rest of the cast. Instead of looking forward to new eps I was left feeling upset and somewhat desperate. Where was the Stargate I knew and loved?? I kept waiting for it to reappear, figuring, "Oh, well, they're still disorganized, still crunched for time..." But the Joke That Was Revisions was the last straw for me (the first one being the fate of the Abydans in Full Circle). I have never seen a staler, more uninteresting more un-tension-y non-climactic ep of Stargate. After it aired I stopped watching the show except for specific eps I read about that sounded good.

Avenger 2.0 was, unfortunately, one of those eps. If I thought Revisions was bad, then Avenger was appalling. Dear gods, what were they doing to the show?! There were, fortunately, some good eps after that and I've detailed a few of them in an earlier post, but overall I've felt that S7 was sub-par and not worth the effort of watching, except for a few eps.

I am unapologetic for this opinion. Other people are free to disagree but I resent the idea of it being held against me or me being "blamed" because I don't like something. Or even because I like something. I feel how I feel and that's all there is to it.

Nolamom
May 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Well, you went to the SCIFI board, that's your problem. That is the most negative, troll-infested, vile, despicable and downright disgusting board I've ever been on... I'd say "avoid it like the Plague" but frankly the Plague would be an improvement.

Unfortunately, since Stargate runs on the SciFi Channel, their bboard is often the first exposure new fans have to online fandom. There's still a cadre of helpful folks there who try to point newbies in the right direction (usually straight to Gateworld :D ) It doesn't help matters when well-known fans begin to attack other well-known fans over things that happened a year ago. Of course, without moderation, they can get away with that sort of thing.
Nmom

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM
There's still a cadre of helpful folks there who try to point newbies in the right direction

Gluttons for punishment, that's what you are. :P Lord, what fools these mortals be. hehe. I toughed it out as long as I could, but I'm glad I left. Gateworld is so much better. Better people, better style, better moderation (ANY moderation!), and people actually discuss Stargate here every once in a while!! :eek: Shock of shocks. Stargate is practically off-topic on the SCIFI board.

Gategrrl
May 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I feel the exact opposite. First half much better. Second half, horrid. Episodes that could have been good were ruined. Grace was totally gag inducing throw heavy object at the screen terrible. And, out of the ones in the first half, the worst was Avenger 2.0. In fact, if it hadn't been for Grace, I probably would have counted that as the worst episode I've ever seen on the show (well, I'm still not sure where Wormhole X-Treme falls in. But, it's somewhere).

What she said. And, what Shadowmaat said.

Below par season over all, with a few good bits here and there. I was puzzled by the nonmention of the Other team member except in one or two spots.

Disappointed and perplexed as to where the whole Ascension/Abydos event went, why it was never mentioned by anyone.

Except for a few stand-out performances (DSD in Death Knell, TR in Lifeboat, MS in Lifeboat and Heroes pt 2, and a few other spots in other shows) most of the actors were coasting. IMHO.

Editing, reliance on SFX/CGI to make the hits instead of real character development (Grace wasn't character development - it was character assassination, and booooring to boot). Lazy writing, expecting the audience to fill in the blanks of all the important stuff going on between the characters between brief scenes when they were all together. IMHO

Turning Jack into an evolved human with that extra special gene. I always preferred him to be a regular guy having these wacky adventures. Sam turning into ... well, I don't have the words for it. I'll leave that one alone. Teal'c reduced to Galaxy Quest-style alien Dr. Lazurus close-ups when he could have had meatier roles (as in Death Knell). Daniel - his Ascension/Ancient arc handed over to Jack and the sidelining of his character along with Teal'c. IMO

I enjoyed Fragile Balance. I had fun with Fallen, a little bit with Homecoming where I enjoyed the interplay between Daniel and Jonas, but had to wonder why once again the plot required Sam with Jack...kinda set the tone for the rest of the series. I liked Orpheus a lot. Bra'tac is awesome whenever he shows up (go, Tony!). I laughed the first time at Avenger, then it wore thin. There was no race in Space Race, the announcers wore out their welcome fast. I liked Inauguration, surprisingly enough. Had a great time watching The Lost City part 2 with a bunch of other fans and making MST3 remarks the whole way through.

I thought the season was remarkably uneven, choppy, and, never thought I'd say this, was worse than the way s6 was written.

THE BIG UNIT
May 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I never said there shouldn't be criticism because there should be, but bashing and criticism are two different things.
Bashing to me is where people pick on every single aspect of the show and say they hate it so much, where they over analyse everything and somehow find things wrong with them.
People who criticise are different, they don't bash the show, and they give reasons why they didn't like the show, good points and bad points, if anybody thought my post was an attack on people who didn't like the show it wasn't, and constructive criticism is good to hear. This board and the posts here are constructive criticism - which is good, but others aren't.

Did i ever let my enjoyment of an episode be brought down by people who just bash the show (not criticise but bash), yes and no. No i didn't because i would not change my opinion on a show because others didn't like it, if i loved the show i still loved it regardless of what others think. But your mood is also brought down by people who do that, people who over analyse every tiny detail about it just to bash the show not criticise, and sometimes i couldn't help but do the same, look for every little detail. Then i realised what i started doing and stopped doing it. That is how it used to ruin my enjoyment of the show. Now i've stopped letting it matter, because i realised what it used to do to me.

For the Season i loved the sam getting a life story, i loved pete. I loved grace and thought it was interesting and good character development. I liked Daniel this season, i thought they could have handled the ascension alot better but i still liked it. I thought Jonas should have been in season 7 alot more. Jack should have been in season 7 alot more, but i know why he wasn't and i can live with that. I thought the Acting this season was the best its ever been - MS in lifeboat and heroes, AT in Grace and Hereos, aswell as the Scenes she had in Death knell and DSD in Death knell and Heroes, all the cast did a great job in The Lost City, the Actors did an excellent job this season. The Second half of the season was alot better than the first. I didn't like enemy mine - i thought and was boring and needed a b plot. Resurrection wasn't anything special either.

I loved season 7, not as good as 3 and 4 and just edging out 2 but better than the rest.

Dani347
May 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM
It's called peer pressure.

Guess I'm immune.

where they over analyse everything and somehow find things wrong with them.

But, who's the judge of what's overanalyzing? Who judges what things are okay to find wrong and what's not?

Except that everything I HAD loved about the character seemed mostly absent in the premiere.

Hey, Shadowmaat, did you ever feel that he regained the aspects of the character that you liked, before you decided to stop watching? I also thought that he wasn't Daniel-like in the premiere.

THE BIG UNIT
May 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM
But, who's the judge of what's overanalyzing? Who judges what things are okay to find wrong and what's not?

Me saying someone overanalysing things is just how i see it, other people see it differently, some may see it as accurate, others may not. There is no proper judge, just opinions, people's views and feelings on other opinions.

An example would be me saying person 'X' is over analysing and critical, others may see 'X' as fair and accurate. People may view me as too positive and not critical enough. There is no right or wrong, there is no judge either, to them they are correct, to others they may be wrong.

Me saying some people are too critical and overanalysing is just my opinion, that does not make me right and does not make them wrong, it is just how i feel about it. People view the world through there own eyes and view others that way, and right or wrong, people just do it that way.

Mar9645
May 8th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes prowl around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

I think Mr. D. in Chicago needs to address eliminating this very-open-to-abuse capability on this shiney, new forum. The goal is to make friends and have fun, not be a rating system for who's right (a HIGHLY subjective opinion in most cases) and who isn't.

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM

Exactly. What YOU (general you) find to be "too much" might not be what someone ELSE finds to be "too much" or what I might think is "too much" and let's not forget what Poster X thinks is "too much".

Negative content isn't the only time people go overboard, either. I personally get sick of the fans who over-analyze scenes to find shippiness. What about people who pick over each and every scene to find slashy moments? What about the ones who glorify EVERYTHING about an ep, right down to lighting, camera angles, specific frames... If bashing is bad, deifying isn't much better.

Hey, Shadowmaat, did you ever feel that he regained the aspects of the character that you liked, before you decided to stop watching? I also thought that he wasn't Daniel-like in the premiere.

There were moments, but no, I never felt that the Daniel I like ever came back and the Daniel we were given instead wasn't someone who really interested me. I did really like the bit in Heroes where (he ran through the halls with the camera crew chasing him only to look at a report. hehe). :D In general, though, he isn't "there" to me. It isn't just Daniel, either. The Jack I love has long since departed. I think he left around the time Daniel did. Carter is a joke. She's gone from being a strong individualistic character to being a piece of tissue and Teal'c went from being three-dimensional in S6 to being a piece of cardboard again in S7. My opinion.

There doesn't seem to be any FUN in Stargate anymore and there's not as much real drama, either. It's all about sensationalism. When there IS "fun" it's either forced and unnatural (like Avenger 2.0) or it's crass and inappropriate (like several of Jack's quips). Other people can still appreciate that sort of stuff and some of them don't see it as being any different than anything else we've seen over the years. I have a different view. And I don't like what I see.

Dani347
May 8th, 2004, 06:42 PM
What about the ones who glorify EVERYTHING about an ep, right down to lighting, camera angles, specific frames... If bashing is bad, deifying isn't much better.

Especially when it's followed by something like, "how dare you find anything wrong. Look! It's great. No, I'm telling you, it's great."

David
May 8th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.

I don't know why but Chaka's appearance bugged me tremendously. I think it's because Dion is such a visually stimulating actor when he's behind Chaka's mask. The body motions are memorable. That whole dropping of the jaw when Chaka sees something he's surprised to see, soforth. I hope if Chaka comes back they will not keep this gentleman.

Shipperahoy
May 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes hang around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

I think Mr. D. in Chicago needs to address eliminating this very-open-to-abuse capability on this shiney, new forum. The goal is to make friends and have fun, not be a rating system for who's right (a HIGHLY subjective opinion in most cases) and who isn't.

The forum is new and Darren is just kind of seeing how things go. In the meantime there are safeguards to prevent people from abusing the reputation feature. For instance someone can't just sign up and start detracting reputation points at will. The repuations marks don't even count until the user reaches a certain point. And you can't just keep detracting reputation points from the same person over and over again. I think Darren was hoping that people would act maturely. But if anyone feels that the feature is being misused in any way shape or form please let a mod know.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Back to 'the topic', :) I didn't think all of season 7 was awful, but i thought it would have good if Jonas stayed in SG-1, i wanted to see some daniel/jonas interaction.

Supreme Commander Thor
May 9th, 2004, 12:18 AM
I don't think Season 7 was awful. Some of the episodes were quite good, and the season ended great. I love the Kinsey getting put in his place, and that the Prometheus went toe to toe with Anubis' bad a$$ big mo-jammer of a ship. And the sequences of the 302's and Promethus protecting the airspace in antartica while Anubis is raining all sorts of enery weapons on them was great.

Every season has episodes that folks dont care for. but on the whole this was a great season.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I don't think Season 7 was awful. Some of the episodes were quite good, and the season ended great. I love the Kinsey getting put in his place, and that the Prometheus went toe to toe with Anubis' bad a$$ big mo-jammer of a ship. And the sequences of the 302's and Promethus protecting the airspace in antartica while Anubis is raining all sorts of enery weapons on them was great.

Every season has episodes that folks dont care for. but on the whole this was a great season.
I totally agree with you. Although i know everyone has their opinions, i still think season 7 was pretty good, but with a few bad episodes.

Mar9645
May 9th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the explanation, but with all due respect, Shipperahoy, this reputation feature turns this forum into a childish high school popularity contest. As I said, we're here to have fun and make friends, not rate individual's opinions. If someone is really obnoxious, we can report them to a mod. We don't need a 'brownie points' rating system.

As to getting on topic, littlemigueljr, Season 7 was the absolute worst in the history of this television series IMO. There are only 8 episodes I consider good enough to rewatch: Fallen, Homecoming, Orpheus, Lifeboat, Birthright, Grace, Fallout and Death Knell which is the very best of the entire dismal season. Three were good: Fragile Balance, Revisions and Inauguration. The other 11 were either very boring and predictable or out-and-out terrible, with the 2-part Heroes now relegated to the worst of Season 7 and of the entire series so far, again IMO.

Have a nice day everyone!

Dani347
May 9th, 2004, 05:56 AM
2-part Heroes now relegated to the worst of Season 7 and of the entire series so far, again IMO.

I think you're the first person I've seen to list Heroes as the worst episodes. Not that others didn't have a problem with them (I had a few big ones) but if you'd like to share your reasons, I'd like to hear them.

keshou
May 9th, 2004, 08:19 AM
I don't know why but Chaka's appearance bugged me tremendously. I think it's because Dion is such a visually stimulating actor when he's behind Chaka's mask. The body motions are memorable. That whole dropping of the jaw when Chaka sees something he's surprised to see, soforth. I hope if Chaka comes back they will not keep this gentleman.

I totally agree with you. Dion brought such character and life to Chaka, amazing really with nothing but body movements and expressions to work with. This Chaka seemed like a cardboard cutout compared to the one we saw in First Ones and Beast of Burden.

Patrick Currie ("Fifth" in Unnatural Selection) played Chaka in Enemy Mine. He also played one of the brothers (Eamon) in Space Race. They mentioned in the commentary to Enemy Mine that Patrick had a lot of trouble with the prosthetics in Enemy Mine. They shot Space Race next and he did much better in that one.

Captain Amazing
May 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Awful is a strong word! Season 7 may not have reached the high's of season's 3 and 4 but I thought it was a good season of Stargate SG-1. It may have suffered slightly from RDA's reduced screen time but any other prime time show does not have their regulars in every scene of every episode!

Brad Wright's lessened involvement may have had an effect on the quality of season 7 but Lifeboat wasn't one of his best scripts. I thought it was a bit unoriginal. Great acting though.

However, still loads of terrific episodes (i.e. Fallen/Homecoming, Fragile Balance, Orpheus, Death Knell, Heroes, Lost City).

ShadowMaat
May 11th, 2004, 09:48 AM
It may have suffered slightly from RDA's reduced screen time but any other prime time show does not have their regulars in every scene of every episode!

I don't see the show as having suffered because there's less RDA. However, I do think that it suffered from misuse of his time. RDA could be an incredible resoruce, but I felt that a lot of his time onscreen was squandered, mishandled, and badly planned out. And I'm sorry, but I still think that the "running behind schedule" thing only excuses so much in terms of writing/production.

There was some goodness in S7. I just wish there had been more of it.

thor39
May 11th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Hopefully season 8 will be better it looks promising :) :o

kateoftexas
May 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I must admit I was a bit disappointed in this season, but it won't keep me from looking forward to the next. Compared to some, I'm a fairly new fan to SG1, and I'm playing catch-up with previous seasons, so I get a bit confused sometimes about which epi is from what season. Gateworld is indispensible!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

My biggest unhappiness about season 7 was the death of Janet and the way it was handled. It happened so fast, with little back story. IMO the death of a major character needed more "time". I'm so used to SG1 characters "dying" and coming back, I keep trying to think of a way for Janet to come back.

I hope that with the advent of Atlantis, SG1 won't go out with a whimper. I'm glad season wasn't the end. I would want them to go out on a stronger note.

thor39
May 11th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Kate,

Little tip here at gateworld add a spoiler space to posts for people who haven't seen the death of Janet yet like this

{SPOILER SEASON 7 HEROS PT1+2}

Just to respect the people who don't want it spoilt.

sidious618
May 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I didn't enjoy Season 7 as much I did the previous seasons.

It had some great episodes though: Fallen/Homecoming, Fragile Balance, Enemy Mine(believe it or not I LOVED this episode), Evolution Part 1 and 2, Death Knell, Heroes, Resurrection, Inagurtion and TLC. Those were great episodes! But then we have the bad ones: Lifeboat, Fallout, Chimera(Not because of Pete. I felt like they could have done more with Osiris) and Grace to an extent. Orpheus, Space race(it wasn't BAD but it wasn't great) and Birthright were okay. I didn't take Avenger serioulsy so I had a few laughs. Four-six bad episodes in one season is not good at all IMO. Even some of the good ones could be improved a bit.

So Season 7 was an okay Season. A mixed bag, really.

Dani347
May 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Enemy Mine(believe it or not I LOVED this episode)

No need to expect shock. Some of us think it was a great episode.

sidious618
May 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM

That's good to hear. :D

Cranbot
May 12th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Spolier (Heroes) I guess....but who hasn't seen it by now?!?!?

My biggest unhappiness about season 7 was the death of
Janet and the way it was handled. It happened so fast, with
little back story. IMO the death of a major character needed
more "time". I'm so used to SG1 characters "dying" and
coming back, I keep trying to think of a way for Janet to
come back.

Personally, I thought it was done very well. First of all, it was largely through the eyes of the documentary crew who were being kept in the dark about current events at the SGC.

Secondly, we pretty much know all there is to know about Janet, the SGC, and SG-1, so there's your backstory. Every time they go through that gate, they risk their lives...but that has been cheapened by sarcophagi, ascending (settle down everyone, I'm glad Daniel's back!), Tok'ra/Goa'uld healing technology, and the Asgard coming in the nick of time.

I'm sorry to see Janet go, but I think the fact that it was so sudden, and so violent was exactly the kind of death this show needed. You don't always get a chance to say goodbye, especially when you're dealing with the military.

marythebadger
May 14th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Re: "Sorry to say this, but Season 7 was awful"

I'm not sorry to 'say' it.... I'm sad it happened, but for me, it's oh so true, season 7 was hands down, without a doubt, the *worst*, and for a multitude of reasons....
it started fairly well in the first half, except for monumentally bad eps Space Race and Avenger, but the second half was truly awful.... until Lost City 1-2...
why do I rate it an awful?
Ship (in season 1-6 there wasn't a scene that ever went beyond the totally ambiguous, and fans could see what they wanted to see, or see nothing at all.. it walked a fine line without crossing it). Ship requires Carter to be helpless, Jack to be awareness of how such a relationship destroys his credibility/integrity/leadership (and Jack has always cared about being respected as an officer, he's stated so on several occasions), and General Hammond to be either deaf dumb and blind, or uncaring about how this would break down the authority of every officer involved, including himself...
Poorly thought out and often derivative plots.
Main characters not who they were in seasons 1-6 (I'm beginning to think they were all replaced by clones on Loki's ship....)
Too much time spent on characters other than SG-1... Felger, Warrick, SG-13, Bregman and his shepherd, the race reporters, Chaka, etc. etc. (the show used to be about SG-1, they're the characters I care about)
Too much one character off here, one off there... too little team (yes, even with limited Jack they could have done better)
A major event, the death of a long-term beloved character, was in my view handled poorly (there was more emotion in the death of Martouf, for example, than in Doc's)
Too much Carter. She started out as wonder woman and turned into whiny woman.... what happened to the smart, independent, strong, believable character of seasons 1-6?
Jack's limited appearances were incredibly poorly used (contrast to how well his time was used in S6). He could have been used for so much more than the jokes and the object of Carter's inappropriate, court-martial worthy behavior.
FOr the first time in seven years, I didn't look forward to watching new eps and I was relieved when the season was finally over. (I actually cringed every time Jack and Carter were on screen at the same time.)
The bottom line is, unlike other years, there aren't more than a few eps that I can bear to rewatch......... in other years, there was hardly an ep I couldn't rewatch........

Anthro Girl
May 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I love the fact that we actually are all watching the same show! :D To each their own and I'm willing to admit that my standards are probably low compared to others. I'm trying to avoid spoilers for S8 because S7 was skewed for me. S7 wasn't my favorite - I don't have a favorite "season" - but I'm glad for the continuation of the series. Here's my take (SPOILERS below):
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Fallen/Homecoming - Dive right in and get the story going. Too tight of a wrap up for Jonas, though.
Fragile Balance - Loved it!
Orpheus - Nice recognition of Daniel's time ascended and recognition/explanation of the whole tretonin thing, but otherwise bland for me. Gangs o' Jaffa have that effect on me.
Revisions - Feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I loved it.
Lifeboat - Ditto. Loved it. Thought performances were great television.
Enemy Mine - Liked this one a lot and no, the new Chaka didn't look like the old one. So what. The new Weir doesn't look like the old one either.
Space Race - I FFWD through the sportscasters, but otherwise liked this one a lot. Great job on the SFX.
Avenger 2.0 - Funny, cute, full of plot-holes...basically loved it and glad to see Felger and his silly fantasies back.
Birthright - Still on the fence on this one, but appreciate the continuing storyline.
Evolution, Part 1 & 2 - Liked the story. Hate the look of the "super" soldiers. They're the only time I thought "low budget" adversely affected production.
Grace - Not bad. A setup for Chimera. Great performances.
Fallout - Still trying to figure Jonas' hair, but liked the story. The Kelownans don't deserve Jonas.
Chimera - Loved the whistling scene and the off-base storyline for Carter. Nice to see Sarah back and hope to see her again.
Death Knell - Okay story, but there are those darn silly-soldiers again.
Heroes, Part 1 & 2 - Great performances and production, but there was no need to do that to Janet. Having set that up, Teryl deserved a better scene or opportunities to perform. And Jack would have invited Bregman off-world for a humbling experience.
Resurrection - Loved this one. Amanda did a great job and I hope she gets an award for it.
Inauguration - Clip show = necessary evil. I like Devane, but he should not play presidents anymore.
Lost City, Part 1 & 2 - Great! Thank you for killing the silly-soldiers!

Can't wait to see what happens next! (Isn't that the point?) :)

Elwe Singollo
May 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Hey Anthro,
I totally love your review on season 7, i totally agree!

epiphany
May 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes prowl around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

Me too. I have mine turned off but as soon as I heard about it when they were talking about it on the old boards, I thought that is an awful idea. Why would their even be something like that? They should get rid of the option if it is at all possible and I believe it is. It's just asking for trouble and it is very insensitive.

epiphany
May 14th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Yeah I loved it. :) I do agree the new Chaka was lacking(as Alex Zahara said, paraphrasing, Chaka just wasn't in the in the house), but otherwise I thought it was a great episode.

I think S7 was uneven, there were some great moments, some really good episodes and some total misses. There were some very boring episodes like, IMO Death Knell, Grace. Some episodes which had potential and while they weren't bad, you just couldn't help but see the missed potential and one or two that were just...bad.

Evolution Part 1 and 2, big missed potential. I liked the Central American guerilla stuff but found the Super Soldier section ponderous and the Jack and Burke section annoying. The reason I liked the stuff with Daniel and Dr. Lee as there was tension in it which was completely lacking in the other two parts. Jack looked like he was on a walk in the park rather than a rescue mission. Rafael was scarier than the super soldiers and Daniel and Dr. Lee seemed convincingly worried over their possible fates and the effects of the device.

I can't understand why they would seperate the two storylines though--why not send all of SG-1 to find the Talchak device and then go see the Super Soldiers? Or if RDA's time was really that limited, send Daniel with Sam and Teal'c as well as Dr. Lee to Central America. The device was supposed to help them fight the super soldiers, it would make sense for them to wait to visit the Super Soldier planet until after they had tried to find it. So what we have is alot of lost potential for something that could have been a great team oriented two-parter.

Space Race had it's good points and bad points--there was no sense of tension(it was a race and yet I didn't even feel like it was a race or there was any real danger), the announcers were incredibly annoying, I didn't really buy Sam the adrenaline all of sudden making an appearance but I did like the Sam and Daniel friendship scenes, the Sam and Teal'c scene, the Jack and Daniel scenes, even found Eamon rather amusing at times--I've always had a soft spot for Niles Frasier. :)

Chimera--I liked Sam and Pete, thought they had fantastic chemistry and I just really liked David D. in the role, but thought it was a big mistake to turn the Osiris storyline into the b plot. That was the actual "Stargate" storyline and it was the resolution of one that had been building since the 4th season. It ought to have been the real focus. And perhaps then there wouldn't be so many people hating Pete right now. :)

We should have seen more of that, there should have been more tension leading up to figuring out what was going on, instead of them sitting there chatting about it casually. They also shouldn't have let the audience in on exactly what happening in the beginning of the episode--we shouldn't have seen WHY Daniel was suddenly having these dreams until just before they figured it out themselves. Imagine the seeing Osiris standing over him after having spent most of the episode wondering why Daniel was dreaming these dreams along with D, S and T. It could have began in the casual way it did, Daniel just mentioning being tired because a dream woke him up and then increase the tension as the dreams continue and become more disturbing so more worrisome for them in regards to the possible reasons for it. Then we could have had them finally figure it out.

I liked the interaction between Daniel, Sam and Teal'c--they really seemed like friends, a team. I liked seeing Daniel's dreams(and I'll totally admit to bias here because, not only did I like seeing Daniel being workaholic and driven as some have long suspected, I also think he looked astoundingly hot :) ).

Avenger 2.0 was just a disaster IMO. The less said the better.

The Daniel descension/ascension storyline was terribly mishandled. They just ignored it, had Daniel regain his memory in no time flat with no ill effects and then turned over the "ancients connection" to Jack with his special genes. There was so much dramatic potential for Daniel and his friends dealing with him being "back from the dead" essentially as well as alot of action potential for the whole Team in that storyline if they'd really made looking for the Lost City a priority in Season 7. Instead there are a few cursory mentions of it and boom, there it is in the final episode.

The Lost City was another positive/negative. Jack and Daniel's phone call, the argument between Jack and Daniel over who was going to put his head into it, the team bonding at Jack's house joined by Hammond, Daniel getting ready to argue with Weir over Jack's situation and finding her to be calm and low-key, Weir making her first stand against Kinsey. Liked discovering that gate symbols are also sounds, the scene with Jack, Daniel and Sam eating. Jack and Teal'cs "goodbye" scene. The scene of Jack being put into the dormata(for lack of a better word:)) and the looks on Daniel's, Teal'cs and Sam's faces as it was happening(but not the final bit that focused on Sam alone). Liked the initial clash of fighter squadrons over Antarctica, but otherwise just found it rather "eh", the team just followed Jack around while he did everything and while that can be portrayed in an effective manner, I don't think it was here. The "death" of Anubis was totally anti-climatic and CHEESY. He was a terrible villain to begin with but this was even worse.

Heroes is a tough one, while on the one hand I think there was some fantastic acting on the other there are alot of things that annoy me about it. It could have been better.

I liked Resurrection, I thought it was an interesting story. I liked how it referred back to alot of different stories and was really glad to see Barrett, but again, somehow they managed to suck most of the tension out of it and wrapped it up too neatly and quickly. So again, good and bad.

I loved Orpheus and really enjoyed Birthrite as well as the before mentioned Enemy Mine.

And so on and so on. I don't blame the actors for the most part. I think they did the best they could with what they were given. Needless to say, it was just missed opportunity after missed opportunity in Season 7. Like they couldn't be bothered to put any real thought into it.

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
The actors did an exellent job acting out the 'so so episodes'. I don't feel like typing a whole lot, because epiphany already said almost everything i was thinking.

angsty_otaku
May 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
it was lacking team dynamic...

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Team Dynamic?

Livi2Jack
May 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone,

For a while I was upset with Jack lite...but I have been rewatching it on my vcr tapes and actually, it grew on me. I am an RDA addict. So there is no ENOUGH with respect to Jack. But I thought most of it was pretty good and much better than anything else on tv.

Enemy mine did not use Dion Johnstone as Chaka because of schedule conflicts. So yes, it was a different Chaka and Dion is so superb as an alien. So I agree with the problem of quality but the story was ok.

I laughed my head off during Space Race. Eamon the gay alien was a hoot. Teal'c in the bell boy outfit sent milk shooting out my nose. Jack telling Teal'c not to get caught by the bad guys was pure Jack. The bad tempered contestant rescued by Sam was a great antihero.

Evolution: Couldn't understand why they could bring a ship to Anubis' planet and not a few nukes with it....poor planning. Loved the Central American bad guys. Loved Jack and Burke moments and would love to see Burke again. Crazy!

Chimera: Hate Pete, 'nuf said.

Death Knell had a good treatment of politics between us, the Tokra and the Jaffa...loved the new Jaffa leader, hunkalicious.

Resurrection was ok until they let her out again...there must have been fire suppression equipment around.

Hated Revisions. Didn't care about the people and thought the whole thing was stupid. Could have just shot them with tranquilizar darts and moved them.

The rest was interesting...so let's hope they keep going.

Lord Dagda
May 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Well ive yet to see season 7, but if it was anything like seasno 6 I migntnt bother! That for me was the WORST season ever...I didnt even watch half the episodes and most of those that I did watch bored me to the point that I switched off. The only episode I remember really enjoying was Full Circle. That was classic Stargate for me :)

Im hopeful about Atlantis and the fact that Mallozzi said he's enough ideas to do alot more SG1 seasons.

auralan
May 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I don't think it was an awful season. There were certainly some flawed episodes, but there were equally bright spots in others.

Some of my bright spots for the season:

Fragile Balance: this brought back the funny and the kid was a good actor. Also, Loki is totally giggle-worthy. Would love to see him back to wreak more havoc.
Space Race: A very guilty pleasure. I giggled at the announcers. I about fell off the couch laughing at the bellhop uniform. Teal'c trying to avoid the diplomatic meeting was classic. This is Stargate: Plan 9 from Outer Space. It's not good, it's so very bad it's good.
Birthright: I always like Chris Judge's episodes. He gets into Jaffa cultural issues very well. Also, Ishat rocks (and I never even liked the actress on Star Trek, go figure).
Jacob Carter: He was a real bright spot in all his episodes. Wish we got more of him.
Lost City: Big threat. Big action. Big effects. Jack-heavy. Big bad seems dead. Cliffhanger. Yup, it's a season ender. A little by the book, but there's a reason there's a book on these. Some things work.
Revisions: I liked the back to the roots of the show feel Also, Jack and a kid, yea, I'm happy. And shallow.
Orpheus: This hit on so many things: Teal'c's symbiote loss, Bra'tac and Rya'c's, Daniel's ascended time, and let us in on some of the political situation in the universe. Also, Teal'c heavy and great effects. A real gem in my opinion.
SG-13: Loved these guys. Good team dynamic. Interesting group. Also, Adam Baldwin. Yup, still shallow.
Agent Woolsey: I love a nice layered bad guy who might not actually be bad in the grand scheme of things. Also, great actor.

The dimmer bulbs:

Unas: Snooze. Can we please get a Daniel heavy episode without the grunting lizards (or a crazy girl, for that matter)? I love seeing Daniel do his lingustic thing, but one of these was more than enough.
Chimera: This never should have had those two plots smooshed together into this bizarre kludge of an episode. Both plots needed to be spread out a little better across other episodes to allow the passage of time and better development of the stories. Instead it was all mushed together, felt rushed, and did justice to neither plot. I especially wanted to see more of Daniel and Osiris. Osiris was a cool villian. Wish we hadn't lost her with a whimper.
Heroes: Something about this one bugged me beyond losing Janet. The tone and pace seemed off in some hard to define ways. It clearly went through several rounds of development and never quite had a cohesive feel. Some scenes were probably written when it was a comedic romp and never got sufficiently adjusted when it turned into a serious episode. Also a little too blatantly manipulative and flag waving for my tastes.
Inauguration: Yea, we really needed another clip show.
Resurrection: Didn't the X-files end for good reason?
Fallout: Don't they have science advisors? Can I send them some? Please. Pretty please.
Daniel: did they not notice Daniel was ascended for a while and probably came back a little changed by the experience? or at least had a serious adjustment period?

Still, more than enough bright spots to keep the season from having been horrible in my book. The bad was mostly just dull. The good was highly entertaining. Still way better than most of the stuff on television.

Bogopimp
May 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM

What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.Shaka grew up, into a prosperous adult unas, ready to take on a brave new world :P

As for lost city part 1 isdisagree, honestly, who;eheartedly, i thought it was definatele among to 10% BEST episodes ever, the way it was made. Especially with anubis appearing to the president (or was that 2 ? :P). I liked certainly, when the supersoldiers killed the jaffa, its started a new trend i hope will continue, and lead to a full on jaffa rebellion in season 8!

Ressurrection. Yes. And most certainly no, it wasnt very good, one of the only eps i have ever seen only once!

Space Race was alright, its about time some proper alien interactions got going, where there just like "buddies", rather then...

meet
were all good friends
aliens conspire
carter goes "oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh"
jack takes thing into his own hands
Everyone but SG1 gets pwnd!

:P

AND OMG OMG OMG...

THE SHIPS, ROCKED! :D

GhostPoet
May 19th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I love the fact that we actually are all watching the same show! :D To each their own and I'm willing to admit that my standards are probably low compared to others. I'm trying to avoid spoilers for S8 because S7 was skewed for me. S7 wasn't my favorite - I don't have a favorite "season" - but I'm glad for the continuation of the series. Here's my take (SPOILERS below):
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Fallen/Homecoming - Dive right in and get the story going. Too tight of a wrap up for Jonas, though.
Fragile Balance - Loved it!
Orpheus - Nice recognition of Daniel's time ascended and recognition/explanation of the whole tretonin thing, but otherwise bland for me. Gangs o' Jaffa have that effect on me.
Revisions - Feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I loved it.
Lifeboat - Ditto. Loved it. Thought performances were great television.
Enemy Mine - Liked this one a lot and no, the new Chaka didn't look like the old one. So what. The new Weir doesn't look like the old one either.
Space Race - I FFWD through the sportscasters, but otherwise liked this one a lot. Great job on the SFX.
Avenger 2.0 - Funny, cute, full of plot-holes...basically loved it and glad to see Felger and his silly fantasies back.
Birthright - Still on the fence on this one, but appreciate the continuing storyline.
Evolution, Part 1 & 2 - Liked the story. Hate the look of the "super" soldiers. They're the only time I thought "low budget" adversely affected production.
Grace - Not bad. A setup for Chimera. Great performances.
Fallout - Still trying to figure Jonas' hair, but liked the story. The Kelownans don't deserve Jonas.
Chimera - Loved the whistling scene and the off-base storyline for Carter. Nice to see Sarah back and hope to see her again.
Death Knell - Okay story, but there are those darn silly-soldiers again.
Heroes, Part 1 & 2 - Great performances and production, but there was no need to do that to Janet. Having set that up, Teryl deserved a better scene or opportunities to perform. And Jack would have invited Bregman off-world for a humbling experience.
Resurrection - Loved this one. Amanda did a great job and I hope she gets an award for it.
Inauguration - Clip show = necessary evil. I like Devane, but he should not play presidents anymore.
Lost City, Part 1 & 2 - Great! Thank you for killing the silly-soldiers!

Can't wait to see what happens next! (Isn't that the point?) :)

I agree with you 100%. Some people are just wayy too picky and take things far too seriously. S7 was good entertainment...some seem to forget this word.

Elwe Singollo
May 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I totally agree as well, i can't really be 'pissed' off at people, because people do have their opinions, but i truly think season 7 wasn't all that bad, although i would have enjoyed it more if they kept Jonas part of SG1.

Pagan Twylight
May 19th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Yes

I used to go to the scifi channel board and everyone there would just whine and moan about how much stargate sucked so I started to buy into thier bs. Then I stopped going there and I watched my season seven recordings and thought to myself "Damn this season kicks butt!" Then I thought back and their have always been posts like this for every season ( except season one)
Examples-
S2- This season sucked because of the tok'ra in carter. blah blah blah
S3- This season sucked because of Sokar gripe gripe gripe
S4- This season sucked because Glassner left whine whine whine
S5- This season sucked because daniel died moan moan moan
S6- This season sucked because of Jonas and The Sci Fi Channel
Complain Complain
S7- This season sucked because O'Niell wasn't in it as much and because Jonas left and becauseCarter is getting a life(AKA the cop) Moan Whine Whine Moan

The truth is every season is perfect each with its high points and low points. For instance I dread watching One false step because i think its dumb but when I watch it I think "this episode is a good episode I shouldn't judge it like I do" All of the seasons are the best in my opinion.

I have to agree with you.... Every season has good and bad episodes depending on a persons personal preferences...

Eken95
May 20th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Well ive yet to see season 7, but if it was anything like seasno 6 I migntnt bother! That for me was the WORST season ever...I didnt even watch half the episodes and most of those that I did watch bored me to the point that I switched off. The only episode I remember really enjoying was Full Circle. That was classic Stargate for me :)

Im hopeful about Atlantis and the fact that Mallozzi said he's enough ideas to do alot more SG1 seasons.

I loved season 6. I wasn't sure what to expect with Daniel gone but I though there were some great stories and I enjoyed the dynamics. I've felt that season 7 stories were a bit weaker than season 6 bu ther ehave still been some great episodes.

erika

USS Thunderchild
May 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I think Resurrection and Evolution p. 1 and 2 were my only dissapointments this season. Evolution could have been good, but the awful costumes for the super-soldiers were just completely lame. I mean, the masks were obviously built out of plastic--there was absolutely no creativity with them. They were supposed to look menacing; instead they looked like legos. Resurrection was just boring. AT did a great job directing for her first gig, but there was really nothing to direct here. IMO the season was a bit weak, but The Lost City pt.2 was one of my favorite SG-1 eps of all time, so it makes up for it.

also, enough with using the same out door sets! Does every planet have spruces! How come they never gate into the artic? Only one watergate! howsabout a REAL water gate!

Phil (my first post, hopefully I'll be seeing you guys around!)

Mar9645
May 20th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Some people are just wayy too picky and take things far too seriously. S7 was good entertainment...some seem to forget this word.
I do take my entertainment very seriously. If I didn't, it wouldn't be entertainment to me. The visual arts of television and film, particularly in the sci fi genre, must have three basic elements IMO: surprise, wonder and a suspension of belief. If I can figure out the story five minutes into an episode of Stargate SG-1 and just see the actors as going through the mechanics, those three elements aren't there.

I have no problem with Seasons 1 through 6. Each one had more great to good episodes than boring ones. I use the word boring because, except for the finale of Season 6, I don't consider anything in the first six seasons bad.

Season 7 is a horse of a different color that they definitely found on the yellow brick road to Oz after going through the field of psychedelic poppies. The three elements were non-existent to me for half the season and most of that half was the second half that was supposed to be so great. Those eleven episodes bear only fleeting resemblances to the strong story and character dominated writing of the previous seasons.

If Season 8 goes back to the heart of what Stargate SG-1 was before, it will be great, but I'm not going to get sucked in this time the way I was a year ago. TPTB wizards need to find their true creative magic regalia again.

Dani347
May 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I agree with you 100%. Some people are just wayy too picky and take things far too seriously. S7 was good entertainment...some seem to forget this word.

Season 7 was good entertainment in your opinion. And, you're opinion is perfectly valid for you and anyone else who shares it, but it is not the be all and end all of opinions. It isn't fact. You aren't wrong for thinking season 7 was good entertainment, and neither are the people (myself included) who don't think it was. We haven't forgotten the word, but we have different opinions of what consitutes good entertainment.

USS Thunderchild
May 20th, 2004, 06:33 PM
To each their own, but assume most agree that S7 was a bit regurgitated.

Phil

GhostPoet
May 21st, 2004, 10:55 AM
During the first airing of Season 7...I was one of those people very vocal about the season saying it sucked.

But the more I watch it...and the more I think about it...I think the only reason I thought that was because Jack was barely in it...once I got over the fact that it's not Stargate: O'neil then I started to appreciate the episodes...there were lots of character episodes.
Infact, one of my favorites was..I believe the name was Grace? The one with carter stuck in the ship all alone. I loved that episode...kinda creepy, sad and funny all in one.
It wasn't the GREATEST season of all time...but it was great.

Elwe Singollo
May 23rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Grace was like... a scary episode to me, haha... Although i totally didn't like the episode, i thought it was an interesting storyline.

David85
May 23rd, 2004, 04:08 PM
I hated it because it didn't really continue any story lines and they never bothered to explain where Jack was.

Elwe Singollo
May 24th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Jack was in the majority of the episodes wasn't he? What other episode other than Resurrection wasn't he in?

Dani347
May 24th, 2004, 06:52 AM
I think Resurrection was the only episode that Jack never appeared in, but can you really say he was there even in the others? I think it's that they didn't try to explain why his appearances were so small in some episodes.

USS Thunderchild
May 24th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Carter explained Jack's absence in Resurrection, due to his injuries sustained in Heroes part. 2.

Personally, I didn't really have problems with Jack scaled down in some episodes, since it allowed good single character eppys. The episodes he was needed, he played a large part, and that was good enough for me. Next season though, if he plays an even smaller part, it's going to start pissing me off.

Phil

Elwe Singollo
May 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I currently have no problem with 'less' Jack than we have been getting compared to like, season 1-5, but yes, i do enjoy the episodes that is focused on Jack pretty much, like in season 6, Abyss, that episode was fantastic.

auralan
May 24th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I think the trick is that when Jack's there he really needs to have an impact. Abyss is a perfect example. They filmed all of that quickly and it's not that much screen time when you add it all up. It's well used screen time. Smattering a scene here and there in each episode adds up to not much. A few strong Jack episodes and some where he's not there for good reason add up to a stronger season even if there's exactly the same amount of screen time total.

Elwe Singollo
May 27th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Oh gosh, Abyss was such a great episode!

Aphrodite
June 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
I found S7 overall mediocre compared to the previous episodes. It had several good episodes but it seems that each episode centred more on one character rather than a team-like episode. I really hope that S8 will have more team orientated episodes especially if Jack isn't going to be in the majority of them. As a summary for me: (Warning: may be too wordy for some...sorry in advance if i end up boring you)
Homecoming: It was okay, one that had a team episode as they all had the same goal of getting Anubis taken a peg or too down from his powerhouse. It would be interesting if TPTB explore the possibility of Yu becoming an ally of Earth in S8 against the supposed new system lord in S8 and the possible double-crossing.
Fragile Balance: This episode was a little too similar to STrek Nemesis for me and I actually liked that movie. It was a little odd seeing a young O'Neill again though. But here it seems to start the single character episodes - a Jack O'Neill ep.
Orpheus: A Teal'c centred episode. It had the other characters there, but only to rescue Ryac and Bratac.
Revisions: A toss between Carter and/or Daniel ep. Jack and Teal'c were there just for the rescue.
Lifeboat: A Daniel ep. I liked this one because it show off MS acting abilities and the interaction between Daniel and Janet was great.
Enemy Mine: Daniel Ep. I didn't really like this ep only because I don't like the look of the Unas. For me they resemble what the Devil would probably look like and I don't care for seeing that image let alone getting it stuck in my mind.
Space Race: Carter ep. Too much like the Pod Race storyline of Star Wars. Just didn't fit in in the whole Stargate genre. Found it boring.
Avenger 2.0: Carter ep with Felger in it. I liked Jack's lines concerning Felger, but I could stand the techno babble and Felger's incompetency in this ep. The ending was just weird but IMHO typical of the male stereotype of two men enjoying watching two women wrestle and cat fight.
Birthright: Teal'c ep. Again, I like some of Jack's witty lines here, but it seem like the storyline was a little too Xena like with the exception of the Jaffa/tretonin plot.
Evolution P1/P2: I thought this was okay. But again, you don't see the Team dynamic episode here. It's been split with Teal'c and Carter et al going to take on Anubis and taking him another peg or too. Then there's Daniel off to SA doing his own thing until Jack goes off to rescue him. I did like Jack's sidekick in Pt2 (that guy who plays Elliot in Just Shoot Me).
Grace: Carter ep. I found this episode to be a "I need to find myself journey" for Carter. Although we see the other SG1 characters here, they weren't enough of them and were just Carter's figment of her imagination. And what's with that UFO ship, who were they?
Fallout: Jonas ep. It was good to see Jonas here again, but the story line was a little too close to the movie "The Core". I really liked Jack giving the Langaran a good 'ol "Jack tongue lashing" and I couldn't believe I really heard that line "That's what you get for dicking around". I was LOL for a while.
Chimera: Daniel ep. It was "refreshing" to see Carter actually giving her "mooning" attention to another guy/Pete instead of Jack (I'm not much of a Jack/Sam ship). I really hope TPTB will let Carter develop this romance with Pete especially now that he knows about SGC. I also want to know if Daniel will rekindle his romance with Sarah and help her deal with what's happen to her.
Death Knell: Carter ep. With the exception of the Tok'ra/Jaffa/Earth alliance falling apart, I found this ep boring and an obvious Jack/Sam ship IMO.
Heroes P1/P2: Team ep, one of a few that I liked because they all really got together for one purpose and that's to provide back up and rescue the stranded SG team. The first part was annoying and too "reality TV" like, but I liked the turn around on Pt2. The only thing I didn't like was that Janet died cause I really liked her character.
Resurrection: Team ep minus Jack, although this ep was a toss up between a Carter or Daniel ep with Teal'c in the background. Did find it boring though.
Inauguration: Flashback ep. I like the new Pres. I hate Kinsey. The case of whether SGC will be shutdown or not. Boring.
Lost City P1/P2: Team ep. My favourite S7 Episode. It was however too short even if it was a 2 part ep. The 1st part was a little slow, and the second part was great but seemed rushed. Only thing I didn't like was Sam's obvious feelings for Jack really thrown in my face IMO. I didn't see Teal'c or Daniel shedding frustrated tears but they were worried, however they probably know that once they locate the Asgard, Jack will be ok.

Gaterelle
June 2nd, 2004, 12:57 AM
Good episodes: Fragile Balance, Enemy Mine, Lifeboat, Grace, Chimera. I think those are the ones that I'm happy about.

The rest are between awful and "contains stuff that I want to change".

Avenger 2.0 is the worst episode I have ever seen. Space Race was boring. Death Knell is the second worst episode I have ever seen. Inauguration was pointless.

Heroes 1 & 2, Evolution 1 & 2 and The Lost City 1 & 2 were ok but still not enough TEAM SPIRIT.
I really can't stand what they're doing with Anubis and the super soilders. The endless copies of Star Wars is pathetic and just boring.
The constant "in your face romance between Sam/Jack that can never happen but will happen anyway" is boring and makes me want to turn off the TV.

Killing off a certain person was incredibly stupid because it was a great character and always made me watch intensely. They should have chosen someone else to kill off...like maybe a MALE character? Oh no, now we just have ONE good female character left and she is reduced to a "desperate single bimbo who wants nothing else than to procreate".

*sighs*

I'd better stop now because I just get upset and I might say things I will get kicked out for...
Apologies!

Sicarius
June 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM
now we just have ONE good female character left and she is reduced to a "desperate single bimbo who wants nothing else than to procreate".

Heh, I'd like it more of it was about her wanting kids, because that's a biological imperative that most people feel sooner or later. But I don't think that's come up in the storyline, has it? Instead, it's this you need a man to feel happy crap. If your happiness is contingent on someone else, then you've got some issues to work out.;)

Elwe Singollo
June 2nd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Lost City P1/P2: Team ep. My favourite S7 Episode. It was however too short even if it was a 2 part ep. The 1st part was a little slow, and the second part was great but seemed rushed. Only thing I didn't like was Sam's obvious feelings for Jack really thrown in my face IMO. I didn't see Teal'c or Daniel shedding frustrated tears but they were worried, however they probably know that once they locate the Asgard, Jack will be ok.I totally felt the sameway, if they 'redid' part 1, it would have felt like a 'long good finale'. I did also feel that although Teal'c and Daniel didn't 'cry' like Sam did (well she didn't really cry cry), but anyways, once they found Atlantis, it would be great.

flynn1959
June 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
I dont think it started out too bad , it was great to get Daniel back just wish they would use him a bit more... such a waste they really dont know a great thing when they see it.

Avenger and Grace were the worst episodes I have ever seen gave even Wormhole extreme a run for its money.

I will watch the first three or four episodes of season 8 but if its just more of the Sam... opps sorry I mean same I will go watch something else.

Elwe Singollo
June 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
I think Season 8 will have more 'shared' screentime, since the promo pictures show alot of Teal'c/Daniel/Jack/Sam.

GateAngel
October 11th, 2004, 01:54 PM
SPOILERS and stuff...
Fallen/Homecoming: Ok, especially the return of Daniel, but even that was handled far to quickly and there didn't seem to be enough team interaction. Jonas was very forlorn.

Fragile Balance: I had a lot of trepidation going into this one, but Michael Welch put all my fears to rest with his dead on impersonation of Jack O'Neill.

Orpheus: Nice episode to touch base with recurring characters like Bra'tac and Ry'ac I only wish they had touched more on Daniel's flashes of memory of being ascended..it just seemed like a one time convenience for the advancement of the plot.

Revisions: Interesting premise that could have been better presented and might have had more suspense if Scifi hadn't given away the plot twist in the promo.

Lifeboat: This was a Michael Shanks/Teryl Rothery tour de force and the level of sheer talent in this episode makes it work for me and I really enjoyed it alot.

Enemy Mine: I missed Dion Johnstone as Chaka and therefore the Chaka in this episode lacked his usual presence and depth, but the interaction between Daniel and Jack and Daniel and Edwards was worth the price of admission as they say.

Space Race: Didn't like it the first time around, but on the second run of the episode I began to appreciate a lot of the nuaunces the writers put into this episode and I liked Sam Carter in it a lot.

Avenger 2.0: If I never see this episode again it will be too soon..it was IMHO THE worst episode of season 7.

Birthright: This one was very surprising and I give full credit to CJ's writing for that. It handled it's subject matter with dignity and intelligence.

Evolution P1/P2: Too many creepy scenes between Jack and Sam and why on earth was Jack strolling through the jungle like a walk in the park. Burke was interesting and I really liked seeing Dr. Lee again. This one had so much potential and it was wasted.

Grace: This episode was an amazing display of Amanda Tappings talent. I don't see this episode as being about anything but Sam Carter soul searching and the crew of the other ship using the image of the little girl to motivate Carter into solving the problem and getting both of them out of the anomely's hold.

Fallout: Too contrived and convenient plot devices, I wonder what Corin Nemec's story was really like. Jonas looked forlorn again.

Chimera: Well Daniel in bed sure made this episode interesting..but other than that in the cute banter between Daniel and Sam...

Death Knell: Another good Carter showcase episode.

Heroes P1/P2: There was no need to sacrifice Janet for this episode especially since it totally ignored what we were lead to believe it was going to be..a tribute to fallen soldiers and heroes. It was a travesty as an episode and only a few shining moments saved it from being a total waste of time.

Resurrection: Interesting episode nice team work between Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping in creating an interesting story out of a bottle episode. Agent Barrett is always a welcome sight to me.

Inauguration: The best Clip show they have every done.

Lost City P1/P2: Like Weir, like president Hayes. Liked everything but the Sam and Jack interaction at his house..totally unnecessary to have when the team gathering to support each other sequence should have been more of the focus. As season enders go..it was a far cry from the likes of those of Season 1,2 and 3.

lord-anubis
October 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM
thought season 7 was good

Vyse
October 24th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Spoilers, obviously

Fallen/homecoming Pretty good, annoying how Daniel was in battle mode so quickly.

Fragile Balance Completely unneccesary in Asgard arc, boring. The actor who played young O'Neill though was excellent.

Orpheus I liked this one, could have been better though.

Revisions Really boring

Life Boat Also really Boring

Enemy Mine Hate all the Unas episodes, they are all very boring

Space Race One of the worst episodes in SG-1's history

Avenger 2.0 I liked this one, thought it was very funny

Birthright I thought this was another really good episode

Evolution 1&2 Really cool idea, poor execution. Enough with the Star Wars references already/

Grace Slow but rewarding

Fallout Good episode, nice to see Jonas again, and a shade of grey Goa'uld

Chimera Too much like Stargate 90210. Kinda funny though.

Death Knell Thought it was a really good episode, one of the few great episodes in season 7.

Heroes 1&2 Part 1 was good but a little slow. Part 2 was one of the best SG-1 episodes ever. What happened to Cassandra though?

Resurrection Very dull and boring

Inaguaration One of the best clip shows I've ever seen.

Lost City 1&2 Loved it, thought it was the best of season 7, and one of the best SG-1 episodes ever.

aussie_gal
October 26th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Hi ya,
I was wondering how many people weren't happy with season 7. I really wasn't it seemed to miss something

Lizzi :D

lord-anubis
October 26th, 2004, 02:00 AM
i loved season 7

Orpheus
October 26th, 2004, 07:49 AM
See the thing about season 7 for me is that while it may not have had as many great episode in as season 4 for instance, some its episode were so utterly fantastic that it could all be forgiven. For instance, Season 7 was the home of: Orpheus, Heroes and The Lost City some of my favourite episodes of all time. And I don't think that Season Seven was bad at all. It was just different.

KatG
October 26th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I don't think it was awful, but it wasn't as good as what we were used to. I think they could have made better use of RDA's time, and given better explanations as to why he wasn't where he normally would be, i.e. a briefing. But it was okay, and it was way better than anything else I was watching. My take, for what it's worth:

Fallen/Homecoming - Thought this one was great. Really good Daniel/Jonas interaction. Made me wish more than ever that they would have kept Jonas, as he and Daniel made a geat team.

Fragile Balance - Loved mini-Jack. Thought he had the mannerisms down pat

Orpheus - Okay ep. Pushed the Jaffa story forward, but got kind of tired of "macho Teal'c"

Revisions - Okay ep. Jack and the little kid were funny

Lifeboat - Excellent performances by MS & TR. Quite enjoyable.

Enemy Mine - Just found this one boring.

Space Race - Okay ep. Had some funny moments, I just somehow expected more.

Avenger 2.0 - Usually love the funny eps. Loved Wormhole Extreme and The Other Guys, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Birthright - Really liked this one. Excellent performances by everyone. Loved Daniel and the little girl. Moved the storyline along.

Evolution, Part 1 & 2 - Liked the story. I liked the idea of the super-soldiers and finding the ancient artifact, just wished it had been two different stories, both involving the whole team.

Grace - Really, really liked this one. Loved seeing inside Sam's head, seeing how she thinks about herself and how she views the others in her life.

Fallout - Okay ep. Mainly just an excuse to bring back Jonas, but since I like Jonas, I won't complain.

Chimera - I'm probably one of the few S/J shippers that liked this. Enjoyed seeing Sam trying to have a life, even if it isn't with Jack. Also enjoyed seeing Sarah again as Sarah. Hope we see more fallout from this.

Death Knell - Very good imo. More super soldiers, the alliance failed, story arc was moved forward.

Heroes, Part 1 & 2 - Thought this was an excellent ep. Hate that they killed off Janet, but thought it was handled well. Only thing I wish is that I didn't know going in who was going to bite the bullet. Would have preferred the shock value that hubs experienced when it actually happened.

Resurrection - Well done. Someone compared it to X-Files. Well I liked X-Files. At least the first few seasons. And it moved the story arc forward.

Inauguration - Best clip show I've ever seen. Liked William Devane as President. Set up Lost City nicely.

Lost City, Part 1 & 2 - Fantastic season finale. As good as they come.

As is probably apparent by now, I much preferred the second half tothe first half, so much so that I actually looked forward to Season 8. As for Season 8, well that's another story.

Ali_gater
October 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Heh, I'd like it more of it was about her wanting kids, because that's a biological imperative that most people feel sooner or later. But I don't think that's come up in the storyline, has it? Instead, it's this you need a man to feel happy crap. If your happiness is contingent on someone else, then you've got some issues to work out.;)
I agree. I believe it was this particular storyline that AT had serious issues with, i.e. that the character that she portrayed just wouldn't act like that. While it is possible to be competent career-wise and an emotional basket case at the same time, that is simply not the Samantha Carter that we have come to know over the past 7 years. :(

tpe78
October 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
<snipped>
Resurrection - Well done. Someone compared it to X-Files. Well I liked X-Files. At least the first few seasons. And it moved the story arc forward.

I thought Resurrection had a very silence of the lambs type feel to it.

mcdonis
October 29th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I just started to watch season 7 and I am about 10 episodes into it. I have to say that I love it. Its way better than season 6 and frankly a lot better than 8.

caes4
October 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I felt that however crappy season 7 may have been, the season finale "the lost city" would have more than made up for it. the lost city was simply the best episode i have ever seen on any tv show....................it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Apep
November 1st, 2004, 03:25 AM
I think the main problem with season 7 was the whole SG-1 team aspect wasn't there. The show is called Stargate: SG1, not Stargate: lets go off and do are own thing.

Lord Zedd
November 1st, 2004, 03:34 AM
Me thinks some episodes of season 7 like space race or grace were awful but not the entire season 7 was bad This is how I think of it but it was a bit weaker than the other seasons but perhaps we had some higher expectations from season 7 :cool:

Apep
November 1st, 2004, 03:49 AM
You mentioned Space Race, i personally think that was the worst episode not only of season 7 but maybe of the entire series, why ? because it had the stinking smell of star trek voyager all over it.

ShadowMaat
November 1st, 2004, 03:53 AM
This is how I think of it but it was a bit weaker than the other seasons but perhaps we had some higher expectations from season 7 :cool:
Higher expectations? Yes. It's Stargate so I thought it'd actually be good. :P S7 obviously proved me wrong, though. Just a matter of opinion, of course, but I thought most of the season was garbage with a few mediocre eps thrown in and then a couple of really good ones just to give people false hope- and to use as "proof" that the whole season was good. :P

.:Lemon:.
November 1st, 2004, 04:13 AM
I thought Season 7 was okay. I mean, it had some episodes that weren't exactly up to par, but so did the other seasons. It had a few really good episodes as well such as Heroes. But yeah....it was one of the weaker seasons :rolleyes:

Apep
November 1st, 2004, 05:13 AM
It wasn't one of the weaker seasons, it was the weakest season with out a doubt.

mcdonis
November 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM
I finished this season this weekend and frankly, Its my favorite season of all.

The Lost city episode is as good as any stargate eps I have ever seen.

Space race, resurrection were pretty bad though. But I usually dont like 2 eps in every season anyway.

Here is how I see this season compairing to the others

1. Season 7
2. Season 3
3. Season 2
4. Season 1
5. Season 4
6. Season 5
7. Season 6
8. Season 8

IamThor
November 2nd, 2004, 05:52 AM
See the thing about season 7 for me is that while it may not have had as many great episode in as season 4 for instance, some its episode were so utterly fantastic that it could all be forgiven. For instance, Season 7 was the home of: Orpheus, Heroes and The Lost City some of my favourite episodes of all time. And I don't think that Season Seven was bad at all. It was just different.
i actually liked it, but I'm also more of an entertainment person, as long as somethings on, i'll watch it.

dove0709
November 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
With the sole exception of Lost City 1 & 2, I would be more than happy to never watch another episode of season 7 ever again. It contained IMHO some of Stargate most boring episodes - Enemy Mine, Lifeboat (I just hate it when the actors start chewing the scenery), Space Race and Avenger 2.0.

Being an avid watcher of Stargate since s2 , I felt compelled to watch out of loyalty. But at certain times during the season if you had put SG1 into a room and blew them all up, I probably would have celebrated as I would no longer have felt obliged to watch.

I lost count the number of times during s7 I read members of TPTB, or MS or CJ say that they have so many stories left to tell, Yes but how many of them are actually interesting, original, not a homage to another Sci Fi episode etc.

Andy867
November 2nd, 2004, 11:44 AM
If you were SOOO bored and disappointed at season 7 after Space Race, why did you even bother watching the rest? I mean c'mon, Gateworld has been here for more than enough time that you could have checked out the plot line and made a determination and not gone and did what you did.

Madeleine
November 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
If you were SOOO bored and disappointed at season 7 after Space Race, why did you even bother watching the rest? I mean c'mon, Gateworld has been here for more than enough time that you could have checked out the plot line and made a determination and not gone and did what you did.

Some people don't like to be spoiled

Some people weren't online or hadn't found GW when s7 aired

Some people enjoyed s1-6 a heck of a lot despite the occasional dud ep, and would consider that reason enough to keep watching after even three or four duds on the trot, on the assumption that it would probably be good again soon

Some people look forward to eps based on spoilers - like a lot of us were looking forward to Avenger - but are not prescient enough to know from the spoilers how dire an ep might end up

Lord Zedd
November 2nd, 2004, 12:23 PM
well I have to say the following/Season 7 was a bit less than the other seasons. Space race and Grace and Lifeboat yeah these episodes were boring :D but there were also good episodes like the beginning with Anubis or the episode where we were introduced to the Kull warroirs

Andy867
November 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Oh, and for the Coward, yes I say coward, who dinged me, whats more condescending and rude: Trashing an entire season when you have the choice of not watching it, or someone pointing out that exact fact, being that you dont HAVE to watch it.

It was your choice people to watch and "be disappointed", live with it. I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed season, just as I am Season 8.

Historywiz
November 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone,

what are you talking about it was thier best season,except season 8

ShadowMaat
November 2nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
I'm the coward, Andy. If you have a problem with that, you're welcome to take it to PM and spare the rest of the board your vitriol.

For the record, however, I'd like to point out that I am all for people being allowed to express their opinions in a calm and rational manner without fear of being attacked and insulted for daring to disagree with the majority. If everyone loved everything about the show and never had a bad thing to say, EVER... it would be a very boring board. Some of the best conversations around here involve an exchange of ideas and a difference of opinion.

If all you want is a whitewashed version of fandom full of puppies and rainbows and singing cherubs... good luck finding one. ;) Most of the ones I know about have a healthy mix of views... or at the very least they aren't afraid to express their displeasure over something.

I probably watched about half of S7 and hated most of it. I've voiced my feelings on the subject both here and elsewhere and I will continue to do so because it is my right to state my opinion and because when something bothers me, I like to talk about it.

S7 had, IMO, a LOT of problems. There was the initial scrabbling and confusion when the show got "unexpectedly" renewed at the last minute, leaving writers and actors alike in a bit of a lurch the first few weeks, trying to cram a lot of work into a little space to make up for lost time, but I don't think that can excuse what I see as the over-all shoddiness of the season. The stories were weak and borrowed heavily from other sources (who did it far better). The main characters were mistreated and neglected and the guest characters were, for the most part, pretty much a running joke of one-dimensional stereotypes. HUGE plotlines and vital story arcs were ignored in favor of tripe and sensationalization and there seemed to be very little cohesion to any of it. I had very little sense of the "team" I've grown to love and instead felt stuck with a bunch of individual characters running around bumping into walls. In the early eps, especially, I could see the weariness of the actors shining right through their characters, so much so that at times it seemed more like the actors themselves onscreen rather than the characters they were supposed to be playing.

Is it wrong of me to complain when no one was "forcing" me to watch? I sure don't think so. And until and unless a Mod steps in and tells me to stop, I intend to continue voicing my opinion- positive or negative- and I encourage everyone else to do so. It's one of the things I love most about Gateworld: the freedom.

Lord Zedd
November 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Higher expectations? Yes. It's Stargate so I thought it'd actually be good. :P S7 obviously proved me wrong, though. Just a matter of opinion, of course, but I thought most of the season was garbage with a few mediocre eps thrown in and then a couple of really good ones just to give people false hope- and to use as "proof" that the whole season was good. :P
I respect your opinion and I agree it was weaker than the other seasons but I love stargate.So I would rather have a weak 9th season than no season at all.I don't think that everyone agrees with me on that but it's my opinion :D

Lord Zedd
November 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Is it wrong of me to complain when no one was "forcing" me to watch? I sure don't think so. And until and unless a Mod steps in and tells me to stop, I intend to continue voicing my opinion- positive or negative- and I encourage everyone else to do so. It's one of the things I love most about Gateworld: the freedom.

Shadow well said !!!! freedom

KatG
November 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
I thought Resurrection had a very silence of the lambs type feel to it.

Quite possible. I never saw "Silence of the Lambs" so I couldn't say. But I'll take your word for it. :)

Albion
November 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
I've not quite got a handle on S7 yet. Every time I think of it, it makes me feel like it was a season which didn't have much to interest me, I've only watched most of the episodes once, when they aired (although this might be down to the fact that we packed away the video recorder when we bought a recordable DVD player and I only have it on videotape until the DVD set comes out. <g>) And yet when I recently sat down and set out the episodes into Great, Okay and Awful, I found most of them went into the first and second columns and very few in the last. Go figure.

Episodes I really enjoyed:

Fallen, Homecoming, Fragile Balance, Heroes I & II, Lost City I & II, Avenger 2.0 (Felger just cracks me up and I found his interaction with Carter in this one touching), Evolution I & II, Grace, Death Knell

Okay episodes that I didn't hate but which didn't have enough favourite moments to make it into Great:

Enemy Mine, Chimera, Orpheus

Episodes which just bored me to tears:

Space Race (couple of favourite moments, but not enough), Revisions (would have been a great, classic SG episode except for the complete lack of any humour in it), Resurrection, Inauguration, Lifeboat, Birthright, Fallout.

So, maybe there was a higher proportion of episodes which totally sucked for me than all other seasons, but there were far more when I thought about it that I really liked than I'd expected to find.

But then I seem to have a perception problem generally. I think of S5 as not a great season, it's not one I go to automatically when wanting great Stargate to watch, yet I picked up the box last week, ran through the episodes and ticked Great next to all of them. Couldn't find a dud amongst them. I dunno - baffles me, don't ask. :p

Frankly, I'm amazing myself that I'm giving S8 an unqualified thumbs up right from the get go, rather than whining it was boring until I've watched it ten times and then suddenly realising, hey, I really love it. :D

Albion :)

Kliggins
November 5th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Overall I liked season seven. Did I feel it was the best season of Stargate; no. My feeling about season 7 is that it was uneven but got stronger as the season went on and definitely ended on a high note. :)

Apep
November 8th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Every season ended on i high note, but season 7 was still rubbish. I think the series has entered the star trek stage were the stories are just getting boring and the writers are get lazy. They know that witless stargate fans are going to like anything make. For example season 5 to 6 of voyager rubbish, the mere idea of Enterprise: rubbish and the last 2 movies: rubbish the star trek flame burnning out and the only people that are keeping bright are the trekkies that can't see bad story if smack them in the face, the same is true of stargate.
I mean REVISIONS, LIFEBOAT, ENEMY MINE and BIRTHRIGHT were really bad. SPACE RACE was the worst episode ever, not only did they rip off a crap episode of Voyager called DRIVE but it even had the star trek token "aliens that look human, because we're to lazy to come up with a decent look alien" in it.

Madeleine
November 8th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Witless? Every episode thread on this forum has at least some people posting that they liked the episode; and in most cases they are able to explain what they liked about it and why. I wouldn't call that 'witless'. I'd just put it down to some of us having different tastes from you.

Apep
November 8th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I understand that, but there is a difference between having different tastes and being able to recognizes bad story telling.

SeaBee
November 8th, 2004, 03:36 AM
It seems to me that the writing has, to a certain extent, become rather polarized. There seems to be very little in the way of goood or average eps in S7.
It's like when it is good, it is very, very good.
And when it is bad, it is horrid. :D

On the whole, I enjoyed S7, but I do agree that it had more than it's fair share of less than good eps.

Madeleine
November 8th, 2004, 04:42 AM
I understand that, but there is a difference between having different tastes and being able to recognizes bad story telling.

There's scope for differences of opinion on what constitutes good and bad storytelling. Don't call other fans 'witless' for their likes or dislikes.

Madeleine W

Dani347
November 8th, 2004, 06:37 AM
It was your choice people to watch and "be disappointed", live with it.

Yep. Live with it, and then come right back here and post our thoughts, both positive and negative. Live with that.

Apep
November 8th, 2004, 07:45 AM
People people lets just calm down. The simple fact is the show is going down hill if you want to belive it or not. Are you really telling me that season 7 is as good as 3 or 4, no its not. Open your eyes, you just don't want to believe it because stargate is such a great show.

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM
People people lets just calm down. The simple fact is the show is going down hill if you want to belive it or not. Are you really telling me that season 7 is as good as 3 or 4, no its not. Open your eyes, you just don't want to believe it because stargate is such a great show.
It's YOUR opinion that the show is going downhill. People may agree with you, yes, but that doesn't make it a fact. It's all a matter of individual interpretation and opinion and there's no need for you to condescend to those who disagree with you.

Shipperahoy
November 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Season 7 was not my favorite but I don't think it was complete and utter rubbish. Space Race isn't in my top 10 but I didn't hate it. It was enjoyable for what it was. Fluff filler. I don't think that makes me witless. Season 3 has thus far been my favorite season overall but that doesn't mean that I think all the other seasons are crap. IMO, actually, I feel that season 5 is the season I've enjoyed the least. And even in saying that, it's not that I've hated it (I don't think I've hated any season of Stargate) but I found it to be somewhat slowly paced and a wee bit dull. But that's just my opinion. There are plenty of people out there who loved season 5, who perhaps even consider it their favorite, but I don't think any less of their intelligence for thinking so.

Major Clanger
November 8th, 2004, 10:49 AM
When I think about S7 as a whole, I'm pretty much take it or leave it. It was the only season that I didn't skip home from work to watch, and in fact more often than not watched the first repeat rather than the first airing.

Even so it came up with possibly one of my top five ever eps (Heroes part 1) - but then it came up with one of my bottom 5 (Avenger 2.0 closely followed by Space Race)

And actually,the more I think about it the more I think I like S7 but without being able to put my finger on why.

As the cliché goes: Stargate is still the best show around, even when it's bad.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks that Trek fans watched all eps of every season of every incarnation of that without getting really riled and so on are very much mistaken!!

AlphaBlu
November 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I thought there were more good episodes than bad episodes in Season 7, but overall I think the Season failed.

I look at it as two groups of 11, because that's the way it aired. The first half of the Season was shocking.

Fallen/Homecoming: I just pretend that these are Season 6 episodes. The felt like Season 6 episodes and were excellent. Pity Jonas had to leave.

Fragile Balance: Filler. And it felt like a tired olf Season 4 episode, probably because it was a tired old Season 4 episode. Another Con is that Daniel, supposedly still recovering from his memory wipe, acts like he hadn't missed a day since Meridian.

Orpheus: Very cool. Dealing with Teal'c story line, add in a little Bra'tac, lots of action and actually dealing with Daniel's ascention arc. Good!

Revisions: Ghastly. A pathetic filler episode with no suspence because we know that they're going to survive. You cannot make "Will they make it?" episodes in a show's 7th Season... hell you can't do it in a show's 5th Season. They don't work. Revisions proves why.

Lifeboat: I liked this episode, and we got two great performances out of Shanks and Rothery, but it was more filler. That and Jack's absence was really blatant in this one.

Enemy Mine: Gah... I've always hated the Unas story line. Beast of Burden is about the only one I'll tollerate. And Jack in this ep was bad. In every scene at the begining then WHOOPS! Broken arm. Oh well, I'll just vanish for the next 30 mins...

Space Race: *spits* I don't say that this one is the worst episode of Stargate, because this one wasn't even an episode of Stargate. It was so bad, and so unbeliavably removed from Stargate that I simply refuse to watch it.

There's a thing called suspension of disbelief. It allows us to accept that all cultures speak English, and even use regional dialects that only people from earth could have. What is does not allow for is two (purposefully) cliche news-casters that could only ever act as they do if they were from a capatalistic society just like earth. They shattered my suspension of disbelief, and ruined the episode completely.

Finally, as I mentioned with revisions - "OMGBBQ! Will they survive?" plotlines do not work this late into a show's run. Of course Sam wasn't going to fall into the sun. Of course Teal'c was going to be rescued at the end. NO SUSPENCE.

Avenger 2.0: I wasn't fond of this episode, but unlike most of the other eps so far, atleast this "filler" ep had less filler tendencies and actually referenced the main plot (Ba'al and what he's up to).

Birthright: Now we're talking. Everyone on the team gets to do something. Teal'c has some lines. Ms. Blalock isn't stuck in a vulcan catsuit trying to act dead-pan. We get action, some funny ship, and a good storyline that's set to continue.

Evolution Part 1: I laughed when I first saw the Super Soldier. I thought "Oh God... it looks like something out of a bad Dr. Who episode." I'm so glad I was wrong. The Super Soldier was genuinley menacing, and made for a great episode. The South America stuff was fine as well.

So that was the first half. 5 out of 11 episodes were actually decent, and weren't filler. Of the remaining 6, two of them (Lifeboat & Fragile Balance), were actually quite good, but could've been put into either Season 3 or 4 and you wouldn't've noticed. The rest... especially *spits* Space Race... just forget them.

And the first half of Season 7 really sums up the problems with the show. The writers are making "filler" episodes with no bearing on the plot. So many of Season 7's episodes felt like old Season 3 or 4 episodes. I mean you could take Lifeboat and insert it into Season 4 and you might not notice the change (other than hairstyles). Now I liked Lifeboat, 'cause as a single entity it was a good episode with fantastic performances, but as a Season 7 episode it failed, badly.

Ok, second half:

Evolution Part 2: Ever since Last Stand I always expect to be dissapointed by Part 2's, that way when a Part 2 is really good (Homecoming), I'm surprised. I wasn't surprised by this. The Super Soldier's were menacing, and that part of the plot was ok, but the South American thing? C'mon, we know Danny's going to survive. I was more worried for Dr. Lee than Danny-boy. No suspence. Also this continues Season 7's trend of blaming Jonas for everything. It's "his fault" that Nuby knew how to get a queen to make "blank slates".

Grace: Season 7's 'The Changeling', and my fav episode of Season 7. Utterly fantastic episode both in story, acting and directing.

Fallout: This is Jonas' last hurrah? Pretty sad. We know they'll win, so the suspence is minimal. Once Sam & Teal'c stepped onto that Core-ship we knew they were going to make it back. Also, the fact that there wasn't a scene between Teal'c and Jonas, two characters who had such a strong relationship in Season 6, that was a crime. Still, the stuff with Jack and Daniel was fantastic. It's sad that Jonas' last ever episode was filler...

Chimera: The episode was odd in that it felt like two really disconncted stories, but I was ok with it because we got to see Anna-Louise Plowman again. It's a pity they'll never follow that storyline again. Oh, and it annoyed the Shippers, and I'm totally cool with that. ;) Atleast it wasn't pointless filler like most of the first half of the Season.

Death Knell: I wasn't too impressed with this episode on first viewing (much like Cure), but it held up quite well when I watched it for a second time (much like Cure). Death Knell was a pretty good Arc ep, and I enjoyed it. Sam says virtually nothing for the entire episode, so all her acting comes through from bodymovements and facial expressions. She was quite good. Also this was the show's first "Jacob Ep", as it had a lot to do with him. Only problem was that once again it was Jonas' fault something happened. It was "his fault" that they had to leave the first Alpha Site.

Heroes 1 & 2: I loved both of these episodes for very different reasons.

Resurrection: Not one of my fav episodes, but this one did hold up to second viewing. The thing that worked most for me in this one was that we didn't win. It wasn't all tied up in a nice little package at the end of the episode and we're left with lots of ambiguity. Nice work from all involved.

Inauguration: People hate clips shows, and I have to say that I'm in that boat as well. Thing is, I hate clips shows that don't have a plot, and are used as nothing more than a reason to show clips. Stargate doesn't do that. Only Out of Mind was bad, because the plot of that episode only showed up in the last act and as a season finale it's a crime to do a clips show.

Politics wasn't about clips, it was about Kinsey and was part of the 4 episode "Pop's Comes to Earth" plotline.

Disclosure wasn't about clips, it was about the effect the Stargate program is having on the world and also about Kinsey's continued attempts to take control.

Inauguration wasn't about clips, it was about the new President coming to terms with the "new reality", as well as (and this really surprised me), a follow-up to Season 4's Chain Reaction. That's what I loved about this episode. It started out as one thing, and turned out to be something far more interesting.

Stargate has proved time and time again that if you need to do a clips ep, then you should write a story first, then insert the clips, not the other way around. Inauguration was a great episode.

Lost City Part I & II: Fantastic episodes. Easily the best since Fallen/Homecoming.

So, out of all 22 episodes, I actually liked 14 of them. The reason this Season isn't successful however, IMO, is that the other episodes were so unbeliavably bad (in either the fact that they were pointless filler, weren't suspenceful at all, or were simply *spits* Space Race). Season 8 has avoided these problems so far, and is a lot better than Season 7. Still, we haven't seen all of it yet. Maybe I'll end up saying that Seaso 8 just had a better first half.

So, as I said, I thought Season 7 had more good eps than bad, but overall it failed as a Season due to the level of bad-ness in the remaining episodes.

BYE

Darkstar
November 14th, 2004, 10:22 AM
i have to amit that season 7 was a little poorer than the last 6.
[1] what the hell is going on with "enemy mine" i mean come on they can and have done much better than this poor stuff.
[2] female jaffa whay havent we seen them before or even mentioned before?
[3] lastly the build up to the end was tiresome and pathetic, the episode "heros" was wasted and the susequent episode were just uneventful not enough to keep me watching i mean i saw the lost city and it was ok but they could have started the build up in say season 6 rather than rush it all at the end.

c'mon they can do better than this.
having seen only lockdown in season eight i was again tired of the continuing plot and hope they can intorduce the tollan agian or a new enemy a fresh face or the aschen. :o :o

aussie_gal
November 16th, 2004, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Pknuts]Hi everyone,

Death Knell: Boring[QUOTE=Pknuts]

Yeah im going to have to agree with you, i think season 7 was the worst but it still had good eps( and Good points) in it. i think death Knell was a good ep but hey your intitled to your opinion

GateTraveler
November 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM
S7 was a strange one in that it is pretty polarizing. It seems some really hated S7 and others loved it. Not as many ride the fence on this one. Even the eps themselves seem to be polarizing. Many eps that are some people's favorites are others utter garbage (Grace, Chimera, Lifeboat, Avenger 2.0 to name a few).

Fox'atuus
November 16th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Okay I'll first say this, I'm not in the states and as such am only now getting Season 7.

But so far.. I'm enjoying it. And I treat my visual entertainment with the high standards. I'm not one to blindly sign praises.

Do all the Episodes befit awards. No. but I enjoyed the Space Race ep. and Laughed alot at the Clone Jack ep.. I don't mind spotlight eps, it's hard to really explore a character, even a entrenched one with everyone there, after all Jack loves stealing screentime. Nothing against RDA.. he's a great actor, but if you seriously look, but seems most times if he's in the shot.. he's the center.

yes they've fleshed out the chars, and yes Wright leaving did stumble the writers a bit, but I can't say any of the eps were THAT awfull. I mean there been mediocre episodes before.

But so far i'd say i've enjoyed the ride.

oh and BTW.. On Avenger 2.0. Had to be a mostly "prime cast" holiday ep. Was the story decent, yes. It was a interesting little forray, did i hate it.. no.. at times it made me giggle, but steller example it was not.

Guess this makes me a fence sitter, cuz as i said. I've basically enjoyed the ride, and take each ep on face value (while trying to peice it all into the larger picture of the season story arch)

aussie_gal
November 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
well in Avenger 2.0. i couldn't stop laughing

ThreeFriesShortOfaHappyMeal
November 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
It seemed they were so focused on making The Lost City they didnt come up with too many "cool" episodes. Most of the episodes i liked advanced the story but were not very enticing or special.

Heroes was fantastic, i hope this wins an award somewhere.

There were too many wasted episodes, Revisions was the only stand alone episode i thought stood out over any other. It seemed a bit of thought was put into that one, more episodes dealing with advanced technology would be nice in the future.

Evolution was good, but as others said a pretty weak two parter. A new threat is introduced and the solution is found immediately, good thing Avatar changed things a bit. (Kind of leaning toward a Borg rip off in a sense)

Too bad Lost City wasnt on the big screen, wouldve been even better.

And Fragile Balance was hilarious, couldve done without Space Race in that sense.

Grace was ok but upsetting, dont want to see Carter with someone else :(

ShadowMaat
February 27th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Bringing this thread forward again since someone was asking for opinions on season 7.

S7 was the first season I stopped watching the show religiously and only tuned in if I thought the eps sounded good... and that wasn't very often. And unfortunately, I sometimes wished I'd skipped them.

All the forward momentum, all the potential, all the chemistry of S6 evaporated practically from the start of S7. I'd probably list it as my most-hated season of the series and I think I've gone into enough detail in previous posts to avoid having to repeat myself now. :)

SISKO
March 26th, 2005, 10:36 AM
<snip>

Commander Aegir
March 26th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I agree because heros part 2 the gun fight even though it was short it was soooo cool though very "saving private ryan" style of filming and camara movements.

ShadowMaat
March 26th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Who died and made you Lord High God of Fandom? I hate to break it to you, but it is entirely possible for people to not like certain aspects (or seasons) of a show and STILL be a fan. If I consider myself a fan, then I AM a fan and NO ONE has any right to tell me different.

I didn't like season seven. I didn't like season eight. I'm not going to watch season nine. But I still consider myself a fan... of the first six seasons. Maybe in the narrow, arrogant viewpoint of some, that disqualifies me from "true" fandom, but frankly, I don't give a flying monkey what people of THAT mindset think. I am a fan as long as I want to be one and I can qualify it any way I choose.

You can think anything you like about people but DON'T tell them that they are wrong for having an opinion- it's why it's called an OPINION!! Look it up some time.

I thought some brilliant stuff was done in the first six seasons. I loved the characters, I loved the stories, I loved the sense of adventure... and it is BECAUSE I loved those elements that I didn't like season seven- because IN MY OPINION those elements were missing or warped in ways I didn't like.

I will not blindly swallow anything that is handed to me just because "it's Stargate". I do not feel obligated to love the show and I do not feel compelled to defend it at all costs. If I have a problem with something, I will speak up and I am perfectly within my right to do so. I would not attack and degrade someone just because their viewpoint differed from mine and if I found a thread where people were expressing an opinion I disagreed with, I would not post there telling them that they're wrong and questioning their claim to fandom. I'd just walk away and find another thread. There are plenty of threads here discussing the POSITIVE aspects of the show. I suggest you find them. And I suggest you stop telling people that they aren't fans just because YOU don't think they should be.

Samuel J. Tilden
March 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM
S7 was the first season I stopped watching the show religiously and only tuned in if I thought the eps sounded good... and that wasn't very often. And unfortunately, I sometimes wished I'd skipped them.
An excellent point. My attention waned during much of Season 7. So much so, that I basically just wandered away from the television halfway through "Resurrection" and never came back. It's the first time I've ever stopped watching an episode of Stargate. It wasn't necessarily bad or offensive, I was just bored to tears.

Cinephilic TV Addict
March 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Season 7 should be wiped from all records of stargate. They completely slacked off, trying to put too much into each episode and sacrificing good writing, plots, etc. for just better special effects. Most of the season was a waste. the only ones i can remember half-liking were orpheus, death knell (although I need to re-watch this one, just to make sure), and lost city part 2 , which was one of the best episodes of the whole series.

knocknashee
March 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I will not blindly swallow anything that is handed to me just because "it's Stargate". I do not feel obligated to love the show and I do not feel compelled to defend it at all costs. If I have a problem with something, I will speak up and I am perfectly within my right to do so. I would not attack and degrade someone just because their viewpoint differed from mine and if I found a thread where people were expressing an opinion I disagreed with, I would not post there telling them that they're wrong and questioning their claim to fandom. I'd just walk away and find another thread. There are plenty of threads here discussing the POSITIVE aspects of the show. I suggest you find them. And I suggest you stop telling people that they aren't fans just because YOU don't think they should be.

I agree...I don't consider myself any less of a Stargate fan just because I don't feel the love that I once possessed for SG1 anymore. I have found most of the last two season boring as hell, and expected the storylines to be more developed and complex considering the snail like pace it's taken to get to some of these events. IMHO I think they've over-stretched some of the plot arcs way too much. I never thought I'd say this about SG1 but S8 especially, I just thought 'Meh' if I missed it...Atlantis on the other hand...

If people don't speak their minds about their real feelings towards Stargate as a franchise, basically we all run the risk of it falling into the mess that Star Trek currently finds itself in. We really do not need another Berman / Braga monstrocity in the Sci-Fi universe...and I think it's sad that the people who produce an icon such as ST have only just realised that fans aren't just going to watch any crap they serve up...

Raicho
March 28th, 2005, 12:51 AM
In my opinion, season 7 was all right, but not fantastic.

(The following is also opinionated dribble)

Fragile Balance was a pretty good episode because it developed the Asgard society showing that some of the Asgard go to certain means to keep their race from dying off. That's why I watch SG:1. I like the different details that goes into each of these alien socities they meet. I want them to do more of it.

Space Race was the same thing. I liked the introduction of the growing segregation, between the inhuman and the human, races. I liked how the society was more of a corporate-based one than the average run-of-the-mill civilization.

Evolution could have been better were it not for what was mentioned earlier.."A new threat is introduced and the solution is found immediately", but I still liked the Kull warriors.

Enemy Mine went into the Unas and expanded on them as a race, which I enjoyed immensely.

I really liked the idea behind Revisions. It was pretty original and every sci-fi series needs a "cult" episode.

Avenger 2.0 was funny, but it never went further then that. They could have done so much more with the story and concepts.

I really didn't see any point or movement ahead with Grace or Resurrection, and while Chimera did a little for the Atlantis discovery it just seemed like an excuse to get rid of Osirus.