X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to say this, but Season 7 was awful

Hi everyone,

As the thread title suggests, I feel like season 7 has been the worst season of SG-1... probably due to Brad Wright leaving. Let's go through some of the crap episodes.

Enemy Mine: BORING, long, Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.

Space Race: Wanted to be funny and cool. It wasn't really. Ending was appaling.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Chimera: Hmmmmm, not the way I wanted to see Osiris come to an end

Death Knell: Boring

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.

Originally posted by Pknuts
    What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.
    What do *I* think? I think that if you ask for No Ship Comments in a thread like this, you'll be jolly lucky to get what you want! But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

I've liked S7 overall, just not as much as the previous seasons. Each to her own, vive la difference and so forth.

Madeleine

Comment

You say that I'd be lucky if I don't get any ship comments "on a thread like this" but... how does this thread in ANY way relate to ship? LOL

Anyway, NO SHIP please in this thread. We get enough in every other topic.

Comment

Will agree with your assessment of S7. The eps tanked, big time. And it was a lack of plots and character development that bugged me most. It wasn' JUST the Subject That Shall Not Be Named, it was practically everything else, too. Cliches, retreads, "homages", lazy plotting, poor character development, over-spotlighting of individual vs. team eps, convenient glossing over of major plot points in favor of glorifying sensationalism... Yep, there was a lot wrong with S7, IMO, and I doubt things will change much next season.

But I still love the first six years of the show. Good stuff, there. If only TPTB hadn't set the bar so high, if only they hadn't produced such great television in those years, then maybe I wouldn't be so bothered by the banality and weaknesses and blatant pandering that went on this past year.

Comment

It surely wasn't there best season but not all of the episodes were bad. Personally, there was only two episodes where I was thinking "damn when is something going to happen" and that was Grace (possibly the most boring episode i've seen) and Space Race wasn't the most exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Will agree with your assessment of S7. The eps tanked, big time. And it was a lack of plots and character development that bugged me most. It wasn' JUST the Subject That Shall Not Be Named, it was practically everything else, too. Cliches, retreads, "homages", lazy plotting, poor character development, over-spotlighting of individual vs. team eps, convenient glossing over of major plot points in favor of glorifying sensationalism... Yep, there was a lot wrong with S7, IMO, and I doubt things will change much next season.
            What she said. Exactly what she said. I love it when people do my work for me...

Actually, having said that, I thought that it didn't start out too badly. Fallen and Homecoming could have been better - but they could have been waaaay worse. Fragile Balance and Orpheus were two of the few episodes this season that I can't say too much against. But Avenger was just plain 'offensive' and everything from that point onwards utterly failed its initial promise and delivered maybe 50% of what it was capable of.

There were some really good ideas this season, but they were so badly realised. ShadowMaat, I'd add 'clumsy cutting' to your list, because I noticed this more than ever before.

Comment

Fallen/Homecoming probably could have been a lot worse, but I still wasn't overly enamoured of it. The "homage" to Star Wars is a neverending source of irritation every time I think of the premiere and the sheer overwhelming convenience of everything exceeded my ability to suspend disbelief.

Fragile Balance was kinda hokey and swiss cheesey with plot holes, but it was saved by the brilliant performance of Michael Welch. I didn't like some of the character traits he was given (the obsession with beer and his leering at the teenage girls), but he still did an excellent job with what he was given. Great mimicry.

I know a lot of people hated Chimera, and there were certaily parts I didn't care for, but it was SUCH a relief to see Carter being happy and all shippy with a guy who WASN'T Jack and who DIDN'T die. Hopefully we'll see some aftermath of the deal with Osiris, too.

Fallout was aggravating in a lot of ways, but it was so nice to see Jonas again. Even with the hair. I'd love to find out what other story ideas Corin submitted that were rejected by TPTB.

Heroes 1&2 had its share of problems, but I still really liked it.

Other than that I either didn't like or didn't watch a majority of S7 and I don't feel I've missed an awful lot.

Minor spoiler: (I hear that Thoth was mentioned, and I would LOVE to know more about him, see if I can use him in a fic, but that's about it.)

I am currently not planning to watch S8 unless Jonas or Pete show up again or unless the plot actually sounds halfway decent which, so far, none of them do. Not to me, anyway.

Clumsy cutting and the whole "major things happening offscreen", which bothered me tremendously. I'm never going to accept the marginalization of Daniel's return and regaining of memory as anything remotely resembling acceptable.

And I'm still annoyed about the booting of Jonas, in case there's someone left in fandom who didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                Hi everyone,

As the thread title suggests, I feel like season 7 has been the worst season of SG-1... probably due to Brad Wright leaving. Let's go through some of the crap episodes.

Enemy Mine: BORING, long, Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.

Space Race: Wanted to be funny and cool. It wasn't really. Ending was appaling.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Chimera: Hmmmmm, not the way I wanted to see Osiris come to an end

Death Knell: Boring

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

are you seriously trying to say that you think Grace was better than Death Knell and the others? I loved season seven but Grace is quite possibly the worst episode of SG-1 ever!

Comment

Season seven was great. The effects and storylines of most of the episodes were pretty interesting. I have to admit, Grace was the worst episode I've seen yet on Stargate. It was boring and long winded. The Lost City was great and I like Evolution and Death Knell. Plus Heroes wasn't all that bad
                  __

__

Comment

Well, I guess I'm Ms. Glass half full, but I enjoyed almost all of the episodes this season. The only one that I really didn't enjoy (and there were a few good moments in that ep) was "Enemy Mine". I've never liked the Unas stories and this Unas story was worse than most.

I thought "Grace" was an exceptional episode with marvelous acting by Amanda Tapping. It was a risk taking episode that stretched everyone involved in it. It was different, it was subjective, maybe even a little experimental.

SG-1 does fall short of my expectations in many ways, the fact they haven't really dealt with Daniel's ascension is only one area. Season 7, though, shows the show is still growing and evolving.There were many good episodes, some great, in S7.
                    Slainte
                    "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

for me

the first part of s7 started slow and bleh. hastily slapped together eps and plots. clumsily written episodes, a complete lack of drama. Heck, i went to the movies one friday night rather than stay home and watch. and if it wasn't for being in chat with some friends and lampooning some of the eps, i woulda turned off the set

i thought things did get better for the second half. There were far more enjoyable eps there than in the first 11 for me
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I loved Season 7, okay it was nowhere near as good as Seasons 1 - 4 , but season 5 brought the level down and Season 6 was even worse, Season 7 was a welcome return to something approachoing the shows best.

There is not enough Jack thats for sure, but sometimes you hardly notice he wasnt there. Grace was interesting although it all together lacked any sort of greatness to it. Heroes was a bad episode from the liking it point of view, but from a film-making point of view its the best show ever.

The Lost city was amazing, and a great ending.

Comment

On the whole I thought the season was middling, however individually there were some great episodes that I really enjoyed. I really liked Hereoes, and TLC, Fragile Balance, and Orphius.
                          I thought Death Knell was a really solid episode as was Inauguration, Birthright and Lifeboat. The rest fell in the middle IMO with a few falling below average.

I won't mention what I thought of the Promethius because we're not supossed to make any comments on ships.
                          ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                          The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

I loves season 7. Cant think of any episode I wouldn't watch again. Which is the same as every season of Stargate. I recognise their were problems with it (I would have LOVED more Jonas) and some plots were laughable, but I still enjoyed it.

Way I see it, It's 20 hours of sheer enjoyment. Which cant be bad :thup:

Comment

overall as a season...season 7 was disappointing...not awful just disappointing. yes there were highlights like all of the two parters. if we were comparing this season of stargate to some seasons of other shows...we would gladly be gloating about how season 7 was "pwning" the other show. as compared to other stargate season, season 7 just didn't live up to standards...not awful though...
                              My flickr photography.

Comment

Working...
                              X