Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SciFi Channel - Stretching the Definition of SciFi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi Channel - Stretching the Definition of SciFi?

From the New York Times (New York, NY):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/bu...html?ref=media

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

At Sci Fi Channel, the Universe Is Expanding and the Future Is Now

By TIM ARANGO

Published: May 19, 2008

The letters still keep coming to the Rockefeller Center offices of the Sci Fi Channel. Please, they all say, pick up "Jericho," the science fiction show with a small but passionate following that was canceled in March by CBS, for a third season.

But those letters are falling on deaf ears. The Sci Fi Channel, still viewed by many as a niche network, is no longer a repository for failed fantasy shows cast aside by the broadcast networks. Instead, through a mix of original shows, movies and syndicated reruns (including old "Jericho" episodes but no new ones), the network has expanded its audience, especially among women, chiefly by stretching the definition of science fiction.

It is not just "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" that would fit the definition. Superheroes, Indiana Jones and even the baseball fantasy movie "Field of Dreams" would all be considered part of the genre as defined by Sci Fi's programmers.

"It's not just aliens, spaceships and the future," said Dave Howe, who was promoted to president of Sci Fi from general manager in January. "It's about asking that simple question, `What if?' "

The changes evolved over several years. One result is a widening audience, especially among women. In April, for example, Sci Fi ranked sixth in cable networks in the 25-to-54 age group. Growth in female viewers outpaced that in men; 43 percent of Sci Fi's viewers are female.

The network has been a boon for its corporate parent, NBC Universal. The channel, alongside its corporate sibling CNBC, the business network, has quietly become the focus of NBC Universal's global expansion efforts.

**snippage**

Domestically, the channel has been riding original hits like "Battlestar Galactica" and the reality show "Ghost Hunters," both No. 1 among cable networks on their nights, Friday and Wednesday, respectively, in April in the 25-to-54 demographic. The network has drawn more women by making subtle tweaks to marketing and programming. In marketing materials for "Battlestar Galactica," for example, there are no spaceships, and the story lines try to create more of a balance between action and emotion.

The Sci Fi Channel's growth can also be partly explained by the network's distancing itself from traditional stereotypes of science fiction.

"There were a lot of misperceptions that Sci Fi was for men, that it was for young men and that it was for geeky young men," said Bonnie Hammer, the president of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment, which oversees Sci Fi. "We had to broaden the channel to change the misconceptions of the genre."

**snippage**

The network's more expansive definition of science fiction does not sit well with some purists.

"Generally speaking, the feeling within the science fiction community is that a lot of the shows on the Sci Fi Channel are watered-down versions of the real thing," said Michael Capobianco, the president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

**snippage**

A frequent discussion at NBC Universal is whether to water it down even more and do away with the "Sci Fi" name altogether. Among the new names that have been considered are "SCF" and "The Imagination Channel."

"We always come back to, we are not going to change the name because
    with the fragmentation of media, there's a real advantage of having that signpost," said Mr. Howe. "We just have to manage the downside."

<><><><>

Interested in responding to this article to the folks at SciFi Channel?

Here's some e-mail addresses:

Bonnie Hammer
    [email protected]

Mark Stern
    [email protected]

Thomas Vitale
    [email protected]

Dave Howe
    [email protected]

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I envy the Americans on this and this alone, an entire sci fi channel.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
      believe me, sometimes there isn't much to envy.

Comment

In my country we have AXN SciFi channel (I have it) and also SciFi Channel (I don't have it). AXN SciFi is 10 thousand times better than SciFi - Star Trek: The Next Generations, Earth: Final Conflict, Stargate SG-1, Sliders, Farscape, Charlie Jade, The Lost Room... just to name a few titles SciFi Channel - Flash Gordon, some horror movies, Who Wants To Be a Superhero, Tin Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
          In my country we have AXN SciFi channel (I have it) and also SciFi Channel (I don't have it). AXN SciFi is 10 thousand times better than SciFi - Star Trek: The Next Generations, Earth: Final Conflict, Stargate SG-1, Sliders, Farscape, Charlie Jade, The Lost Room... just to name a few titles SciFi Channel - Flash Gordon, some horror movies, Who Wants To Be a Superhero, Tin Man.
          Wow, that's cool. where are you from?

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
            Wow, that's cool. where are you from?
            Poland. AXN has really great package here - AXN, AXN Crime and AXN SciFi - "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles", "Lost" and all three "CSI" series are currently on AXN and "Moonlight" is coming next month, I'm so angry with CBS for cancelling it... let's hope another channel will pick it up.

Comment

*blink*

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
              believe me, sometimes there isn't much to envy.
              How true!
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I think Jericho qualifies as a "What If?" show...
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

The network has drawn more women by making subtle tweaks to marketing and programming. In marketing materials for "Battlestar Galactica," for example, there are no spaceships, and the story lines try to create more of a balance between action and emotion.
                  What?

I'm a woman and one of the main reasons I watch BSG is for the cool ships and space battles. I certainly don't watch it for the "emotion".

The way to win a larger female audience is to air quality content not to pander to outdated gender stereotypes.

Comment

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
                    I'm a woman and one of the main reasons I watch BSG is for the cool ships and space battles. I certainly don't watch it for the "emotion".

The way to win a larger female audience is to air quality content not to pander to outdated gender stereotypes.
                    Well, I'm a woman too and I certainly don't watch it for the spaceships.

I watch it for the character-based drama and the concepts they explore.

Emotion certainly is part of it.

It's nice that they have well-designed ships and such, but it certainly is not the reason I watch.

Comment

You shouldn't be, really.
                      None of the big successful science fiction programems have ever been on a special science fiction channel - Star Treks, X Files, Buffy, Babylon 5... they all had a lot more viewers than anything ever on SciFi. Well, maybe other than the Tin Man mini.
                      To stress the point - in the UK, a Doctor Who episode was the second most watched programme in 2007, and the BBC never refer to their flaghsip drama as "science fiction".
                      Hearing the name SF tends to turn some people off automatically - people who, without the prejudice, might have actually enjoyed what they're watching. Putting more and more shows inside the "science fiction" cage puts them at a disadvantage to being with.

Also, think of it from another angle. Havnig an entier channel limited to science fiction also puts a lot of problems on the budget. Science fictino shows are probably the msot expensive television to make. The more SF programmes on your channel - the less original programming you have money to order. A regular network could work the extra money from soap operas, less budget-eating dramas, sports, news, whatever to compensate and give the one science fiction show they have enough money to make it REALLY worthwhile. A network like SciFi... well, you can see the B-movies and wrestling they have, and how much of their programming is reruns.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

My point, which I did not put across very well, is that you cannot pigeon hole your audience. Its not as simple as women want A and men want B. I don't fit into their stereotype of a female television viewer and I know a lot of other women who don't either and I'm sure there are a lot of men who would view things similarly to you.

I spend a lot of time online visiting various sci-fi forums and there are a lot of female sci-fi fans out there yet there is still this myth that it only appeals to a stereotypical image of young geeky men.

Comment

I think it's a good direction for SCI FI to also include fantasy and adventure. To me SCI FI and Fantasy are in the same genre.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wow! Talk about throwing a bomb into a crowd of Sci Fi purists! Although didn't Sci Fi in the US already air wrestling?

We have quite the vociferous anti-Buffy, Charmed, Medium section in Oz SCI FI forums because they are 'not sci-fi'.

Most people do tend to consider fantasy shows as belonging on SCI FI, however.
                            www.scifitv.com.au/blog
                            SCI FI PI: The Sci Fi Australia Blog

(What the galaxy looks like, from downunder!)

Comment

As you know SCI FI aired The Indiana Jones Trilogy. They pulled the best ratings since the miniseries "Tin Man". Again I love movies like Tin Man and Indiana Jones. Heck, SG-1 had that Indiana Jones fell when they explored different planets and ruins.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X