X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that always bugs me....

Where does the Iris go?

When it retracts it just seems to magicall vanissh inside the gate, which y'know, shouldn't be possible, especially considering the size of the iris.

The iris is really really thin (I forget how thin exactly...) but it fits perfectly inside the Stargate. It looks a lot thicker from the front doesn't it?
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

i always wondered that.
      and
      has anyone seen the iris closed before the wormhole activates, ie the whooosh effect or whatever. If the iris is closed, surely it should be vaporised, like people or objects are? Or, if it doesnt vaporise the iris because the particles dont reintegrate or whatever Carter says, surely if i stood in the middle of the event horizon a thin slice of me should be left behind?

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
        The iris is really really thin (I forget how thin exactly...) but it fits perfectly inside the Stargate. It looks a lot thicker from the front doesn't it?
        But if it was really really thn, then in the episode A Matter of Time ( black hole etc), it wouldnt have lasted as long as it did. It has to be fairly sturdy and has to be welded fairly far from the inner edge of the gate. Otherwise it would be ripped apart.

Or do you mean the bit Carter says about it being only a few micrometres from the event horizon?

Comment

oh god not this discussion again.

ok the iris is located exactly 3 micrometers from the event horizon, being this close, the Kawoosh can not form the same way the iris prevents matter from reforming that has been sent through

the first iris was made of pure titanium, hence it was able to last as long as it did in "A Matter of Time"

the second iris is made up of a composition of trinium and titanium

as far as where it goes, it just retracts into the hollow space along the inside of the gate. it wouldnt interfere with the event horizon forming because it sits neatly inside out of the way and would only block the wormhole from forming if it was moved out of place a little bit, like in "48 Hours" so it is a very small margin that they have to store the iris in.

if there are any other questions about this i think the omnipedia might be a good place to go

Comment

The iris is a great 'shield'. It is a very thin piece of very solid titanium and I belive trinium which was used for building the Promethus. I am not incredibly smart to know how it does not vaporise but it obviously has a way so it doesn't. The iris is installed about 1 or 2 centimeters just in front of the wormhole so it does not block a incoming signal
            __

__

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJ
              Where does the Iris go?

When it retracts it just seems to magicall vanissh inside the gate, which y'know, shouldn't be possible, especially considering the size of the iris.
              actully the big question that i have is how did there know to make a iris so fast if you remember children of the gods SG- 1 & 2 where both gone for 24 hours in that time there were able to build the iris ad install it

thats always bugged me maybe carter had something to do with it.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

This post as long been buried but seeing as Im here now they installed it so fast becuase they planned it before they actually installed it and must have had it already made (I think anyway)

The actual Iris that they use is actually a rough material so they probly just went down to the shop and picked some up

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                  This post as long been buried but seeing as Im here now they installed it so fast becuase they planned it before they actually installed it and must have had it already made (I think anyway)

The actual Iris that they use is actually a rough material so they probly just went down to the shop and picked some up
                  i love digging up the old stuff.

seeming so may people miss the old days
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yeah, the old days were good

Ive got a piece of the Iris now in a framed presentation thing. I got it signed by CJ and MS at Collectormania, it looks amazin and Im just waitin to get a presentation box for it and then Im gonna put it on ma shelf

Comment

When did we find all of thisout?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                        When did we find all of thisout?
                        I think sometime during season 1 - 4.... I could be wrong though
                        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Man, talk about digging up an old thread.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I know, thats what I said, but hey why not post a reply to help him, I suppose its better than startin a new thread, it doesnt slow the server as much because of all new threads being posted

Comment

Working...
                            X