Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could BC-304 float on water without using Inertia Dampers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could BC-304 float on water without using Inertia Dampers ?

We saw BC-304 fly in space,floating in the air , or landing on the ground.
    but what if the ship land on ocean.
    I am sure with the ineartia dampers on, it can float right side up.
    but what if the ship need emergency repair, AND can't find any ground to land.
    it has to land on the ocean, and the inertia dampner is offline line , due to insufficient power.

Could the BC-304 float on water ? would it sink or would float sideway?

Any object with are horrow center can float,but the BC-304 was design as space vechicle ,with a box shape.
    If you put any empty box into the bath top , sometime they float a bit funny like sideway or upside down.
    Last edited by ckwongau; 18 May 2008, 05:25 AM.

I think it would, the hangars would act like stabilisers.

Comment

i think its way to heavy

Comment

I think when Daedalus landed at Atlantis it didn't land on the pier, it landed beside it on the water, but i'm not sure of that even after watching that part from siege 3 like 8 times. But it's wide as hell, so it should be stable, and it's full of air, so it shouldn't sink.
        Trailers and PR
        Stargate: War Begins team
        http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
        forums:
        http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

I think it would even if i did sink and begun to fload the could use emergency hull plating and forshields until they could leave.
          That would make a good episode.
          sigpic

Comment

I know naquada is very dense(takes two jaffa to carry a brick of it) and I would think trinium would be too. It probably it weighs several hundred thousand tons, maybe even a million given the current estimates in size. That leads me to believe it would sink like a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
              I know naquada is very dense(takes two jaffa to carry a brick of it) and I would think trinium would be too. It probably it weighs several hundred thousand tons, maybe even a million given the current estimates in size. That leads me to believe it would sink like a rock.
              Naqudah is heavy as F**K however Trinium is lighter than aliminium but 100 times stronger than carbon steel

and even with inertial dampners turned off you would feel the ship swaying on the water it wouldnt capsize or anything like that

and even if the ship did sink its a sodding space ship and a puddle jumper can withstand over 18 atmospheres of pressure so what the hell is a BC-304 gonna be able to take, which even with its shields down can withstand bombardment from a wraith hive ship for a couple of seconds and there are failsafes put inplace where unless the engines are completly torn off power will still be provided to the engines so it can float/hover
              sigpic

Comment

plus they would jus use some f-302 power cores to re-power the inertial dampners
                sigpic

Comment

I think the inertial dampeners are to stop things flying about inside the ship during acceleration and deceleration, they shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the outside or to anything when the ship is stationary.

Basicly it will come down to boyancy, does a BC-304 weigh less then its volume in water? If the answer is yes then it will float, how much of it is below water depends on how much water its weight is equal to.
                  Does anyone know the dimensions of a BC-304?
                  Venting the ship's atmosphere before entering the planet's atmosphere will help a bit, but not much.

If we assume the ship is mainly lead (has a standard density of 11340 kg/m^3) and rooms/corridors/holds (empty space: space density 10^-15 kg/m^3 or Earth air density: 1.2 kg/m^3) and the ship is vented (water density 1000 kg/m^3)
                  If the ship is to float in water then volume-wise it must be:
                  8.8% metal and 91.2% air/space

Comment

Originally posted by Thermi View Post
                    and even if the ship did sink its a sodding space ship and a puddle jumper can withstand over 18 atmospheres of pressure so what the hell is a BC-304 gonna be able to take, which even with its shields down can withstand bombardment from a wraith hive ship for a couple of seconds and there are failsafes put inplace where unless the engines are completly torn off power will still be provided to the engines so it can float/hover
                    In the (para-phrased) words of Professor Farnsworth: "It's a space ship so it can take between 0 and 1 atmospheres of pressure"

Comment

Even if it did sink there would be no problem, Its a space ship its going to be water tight lol. Raise the shield and your fine for as long as your life support goes on. in "grace Under Pressure" we heard McKay say

"Why the hell do we have inertial dampeners under water"

or something like that
                      Perhaps Puff

Comment

I think the ship would float, they probably do have failsafes such as emergency lifeboats, much in the same way an aircraft has life-jackets for water landings (not that it would matter too much at such speeds) they are designed for other things, but to design something where in the planet's out there habitable are anywhere from 40% to 90% water, a water landing if it was not smashed up would not be a problem.
                        sigpic
                        In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
                          Even if it did sink there would be no problem, Its a space ship its going to be water tight lol. Raise the shield and your fine for as long as your life support goes on. in "grace Under Pressure" we heard McKay say

"Why the hell do we have inertial dampeners under water"

or something like that
                          I am sure the inertial dampeners could raise the ship from the bottom of the ocean, but the point of the discussion is the 304's abilities to float without any major system online, without any power , or without shield.
                          could it float like a naval carrier ,
                          whithout any external threat ,304 doesn't require shield or must power(other than life support)when it is in space or on the ground.

The Atlantis city can float on water with any power, it require power when it is under the ocean (for the shield)

So can BC-304 float without shield or inertia dampener

Comment

Then can the BC-304 survive a storm is the next question?
                            sigpic
                            In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

As I stated above the inertial dampeners are to stop things inside the ship moving around when the ship is accelerating, they are no help in this situation.

The ship will float but will have to be about 90+% air. It's basic physics.

Comment

Working...
                              X