This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New X-files Movie

The new x-files movie was a tv show that was made into movies just like Stargate SG-1. the only difference is SG-1 went one more season longer than x-files. so why cant continuum be allowed to be shown in theatres if the x-files can.
    Oh yeah and Col. Steven Caldwell (Mitch Pileggi) is going to be in it

The X-files received a great deal of recognition over the years - winning Golden Globes and Emmy's (which are rather more prestigious than Saturn awards...) and it is therefore more widely known that Stargate. I'm sure a vast number of people could tell you which show Mulder and Scully are from - less could identify O'Neill and Jackson.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I seriously doubt that Stargate would ever make it into a feature film.
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
        Never say never. Sure, at the moment, Stargate just doesn't have the public recognition to be worth the expense of a cinematic release, but in the future... who knows. Ten / twenty years from now, when "Atlantis" and "Universe" are off the air, the equivalent of JJ Abrams might be hired by MGM to "revive" the Stargate franchise (as Abrams was hired to revive the "Star Trek" franchise), a new feature film will be made, which will spawn new interest in this beloved niche franchise, and everyone will wonder why it didn't happen twenty years earlier.

... Or maybe something completely different will happen. I don't exactly have a good record when it comes to predicting the future. "Of course you won't need your waterproofs!" "This film is gonna be so cool!" "What's the worst that could happen?"

So... who knows. As much as anything, I think it will depend on the popularity of "Universe". If this new spin-off only manages to attract the same audience as "SG-1" and "Atlantis", then no, but if they can create something with a wider appeal... well, plenty of popular TV shows have gone on to make theatrical movies! And, oh yes, strong sales for "Ark of Truth" and "Continuum" won't hurt!
        Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

I hope so. with current writters(and lack of fresh and interesting ideas) it would be a tragedy. Cinemas would be empty. DVD movies are the best way for SG.
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
            I hope so. with current writters(and lack of fresh and interesting ideas) it would be a tragedy.Cinemas would be empty. DVD movies are the best way for SG.
            While I disagree with that, as if the cinemas would be empty anyway, have you seen what sort of films are making it big at the moment? Originality seems to have gone out of fashion at the moment...

Comment

The X-Files was on primetime, broadcast TV and was (and is) one of Fox's most popular series ever. As a program on broadcast TV it received huge viewership. Stargate is a TV series spinoff from a so-so scifi flick, which broadcasts on a cable TV channel. As such, its viewership figures are easily dwarfed by those of The X-Files.

Don't get me wrong, I love SG-1 and I'm dying to see Continuum. But holding up The X-Files to SG-1 is really comparing apples to oranges.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wasn't there the rumour that Continuum could be seen by the MGM executives as a dry run for a feature film, depending on its success?

Comment

I doubt it, you can't really compare the two.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I doubt it, you can't really compare the two.
                    You mean you can't compare a DVD movie to a feature film? I would maybe agree, in terms of the limitations that budget differences introduce. The rumour I mentioned was from the Continuum teaser article (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...continuu.shtml)

If Stargate: Continuum is an "audition" for a theatrical feature film, as executive producer Brad Wright calls it, then MGM needs to green-light that movie now.

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
                      You mean you can't compare a DVD movie to a feature film? I would maybe agree, in terms of the limitations that budget differences introduce. The rumour I mentioned was from the Continuum teaser article (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...continuu.shtml)
                      Yeah I think what he means is they have proven to MGM that they can make a decent movie, but I don't think the 'success' of a DVD movie can really be used to gauge how well a theatrical movie would do.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Yeah I think what he means is they have proven to MGM that they can make a decent movie, but I don't think the 'success' of a DVD movie can really be used to gauge how well a theatrical movie would do.
                        I guess not in monetary terms. But it might lead to MGM trusting TPTB with more money in light of them proving that they can produce a successful film within the boundaries they had (assuming Continuum does well).

Comment

You have to remember, Stargate already WAS a feature film shown in a theater. It did well, and it was no where near as good as the show or AoT was.

And I believe that Brad Right said that Continuum was like and an audition for a real movie shown in theaters.

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                          X