This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cassandra's name...

"Greek for 'prophet of doom'" According to an MSN commercial that just came on. Her name actually has signifigance for 1.15 "Singularity" , considering that she WAS a prophet of doom! Cool little tidbit, is all. I am sure someone noticed it in the past 8 years, but I just noticed it so I figured I'd post it.

PS: We should have a charecters section. Not a section for each charecter like some forums, but one section for all the mains, villians, guests and ect.
    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Originally posted by Beckmen
    "Greek for 'prophet of doom'" According to an MSN commercial that just came on. Her name actually has signifigance for 1.15 "Singularity" , considering that she WAS a prophet of doom! Cool little tidbit, is all. I am sure someone noticed it in the past 8 years, but I just noticed it so I figured I'd post it.

PS: We should have a charecters section. Not a section for each charecter like some forums, but one section for all the mains, villians, guests and ect.
    Yeah, it's kind of a pun, Cassandra was, from what I can recall (mostly from Scream 2 and an episode of Red Dwarf ), a mythical figure who had visions of terrible things, and was then blamed by everyone when they came to pass, and I think she foresaw her own death...

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
      Yeah, it's kind of a pun, Cassandra was, from what I can recall (mostly from Scream 2 and an episode of Red Dwarf ), a mythical figure who had visions of terrible things, and was then blamed by everyone when they came to pass, and I think she foresaw her own death...
      Cassandra was a princess of Troy who was given the gift of prophecy by Apollo, but was cursed never to be believed when she refused to go to bed with him. She warned her parents about taking her brother Paris back in, and about the whole 'Helen' thing. Then when Agamemnon kidnapped her and dragged her back to his kingdom (she bore him twin children en route) she warned him that his wife wasn't happy with him for sacrificing their daughter for good sailing on the way out.

No-one listened. Everyone died.

Rather unfairly, anyone who predicts doom and gloom is called a 'Cassandra', despite the fact that the original was always right.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckmen

"Cassandra" was also referenced in the movie "12 Monkeys" (w/ Bruce Willis). The psychologist (Dr. Kathryn Railly) explained how she had the power to see the future, but was powerless to do anything about it, hence, the whole "Prophet of Doom" thing.
        -GuyFromOH
        I'm a guy, from Ohio.
        ------------------------------------
        Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
        Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
        cool!"

Comment

Yeah... it's like the "I told you so" thing... the person giving out the warning unfairly also gets the blame despite the fact that all the dummies around him or her should have listened in the first place

On a tangent, I guess they're leaving out most Greek/Roman myth stuff from Stargate because that has been done in other shows like Xena.
          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
            Yeah... it's like the "I told you so" thing... the person giving out the warning unfairly also gets the blame despite the fact that all the dummies around him or her should have listened in the first place

On a tangent, I guess they're leaving out most Greek/Roman myth stuff from Stargate because that has been done in other shows like Xena.
            Here's a great idea for an episode: They find Hercules (played by Kevin Sorbo) and Xena (played by Lucy Lawless) and it turns out they are Goa'uld or Tok'Ra
            -GuyFromOH
            I'm a guy, from Ohio.
            ------------------------------------
            Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
            Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
            cool!"

Comment

Originally posted by GuyFromOH
              Here's a great idea for an episode: They find Hercules (played by Kevin Sorbo) and Xena (played by Lucy Lawless) and it turns out they are Goa'uld or Tok'Ra
              LOL!

But, let's face it, even the Goa'uld can't be THAT dumb.

I seem to remember an ep. of Xena, where she travels to England to help defend the stonehenge building site from the romans, who wanted to stop the construction, despite the fact that the monument was already 2000 years old when the romans arrived. Even the writers of wormhole Xtreme would struggle to write a plot that thin!
              sigpic

Comment

Why do you think I never watched either pool of poop?
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                  LOL!

But, let's face it, even the Goa'uld can't be THAT dumb.

I seem to remember an ep. of Xena, where she travels to England to help defend the stonehenge building site from the romans, who wanted to stop the construction, despite the fact that the monument was already 2000 years old when the romans arrived. Even the writers of wormhole Xtreme would struggle to write a plot that thin!
                  Yeah, being English that paticularly erked my melon.

They did a survey around here asking questions about legend and TV, and so many people answered 'yes' to things that have happened on TV (i.e: If Hurcules was a demi-god in ancient cultures, then Xena must've been a real princess) than to things that actually happened (such asthe battle of hastings)

Comment

On that last note, would you believe how many people think Blackadder really existed?

(Americans you may not know who Edmund Blackadder is)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Edmund Blackadder is a character of fiction, but Baldrick is the true undisputed lord and master of thine universe.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                        Yes, but then Xena also encountered both King David and the Baby Jesus: and Queen Boudicca; and Julius Caesar. At the same time, Hercules was clashing with Gilgamesh in Mesopotamia, delaying Ragnarok by saving Baldur from Loki's treachery and learning kung fu from the druids.

I mean, they really pinned their historical colours to the mast and openly declared that they didn't give a toss.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

That Musical episode kind of confirmed it for me... ha ha... the show is meant to be a parody in more than one way. I was really disappointed in the last episode though -- I don't know why they had to end it in Japan; full circle back to Greece would have been more satisfying for me. Was a good season finale but not a good series finale, and the CGI effects were a bit over the top and it's obvious how much budget $$$ went into that!
                          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                            On that last note, would you believe how many people think Blackadder really existed?

(Americans you may not know who Edmund Blackadder is)
                            Baldrick's great... I so want a turnip.

Comment

Working...
                            X