Countering the Ori /Asgard beam weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countering the Ori /Asgard beam weapons

As of now, ship battles will remain bland. The beam weapons poke a hole through ship shields and destroy a ship hyperdrive, taking the ship out in a few shots. This level of power is incredible and eliminates any future challenges for any new earth expedition because the weapon is just too potent. Ship battles should be interesting if the writers are going to continue shifting enemy engagement to space battles. They have the same function as drones, but without the limited supply of drones.

I think there are two options that could work in the future

1) Swarms of high speed ship bombers are unloaded from the mothership that can dodge the beam weapons. But the writers usually only capital ship versus capital ship battles right now.

2) Reintroduce the ship from the s5 SG-1 episode Enemies. Its point defense lasers were nullifying the Apophis supership Hatak volleys. The beam weapons are still burst of plasma so I believe that they can be neutralized. It would be good to see some overconfidence from earth forces expecting their ships to be invincible but then be countered by a point defense system.

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
    2) Reintroduce the ship from the s5 SG-1 episode Enemies. Its point defense lasers were nullifying the Apophis supership Hatak volleys. The beam weapons are still burst of plasma so I believe that they can be neutralized. It would be good to see some overconfidence from earth forces expecting their ships to be invincible but then be countered by a point defense system.
    I really doubt that the point defense could work on the beam weapons. But as shown in atlantis it was hard to hit a cruiser that was moving and when the phoenix was ambushed it lost its beam fast.
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe the new race in Atlantis season 5 will have shields that can withstand the beams, or some other way of countering them. I agree that Earth has become too powerful now it has these weapons on all their ships.
      sigpic

Comment

Earth is not that powerful, as there are only three ships, and only one of which is in Atlantis in any given time.

Comment

If the show were allowed to continue for even a half a season or so just to wrap things up, we might have been able to develop something other than Asgard super-pwners, or atleast had a more plausible explanation for their apparrent super pwnage capabilities rather than "We Asgard; we die; you take tech; it include very powerful weapons that have no explanation." However, I think that these weapons aren't quite the super-powered things we think they are. They seem to operate as very long pulses as much as beam weapons. Just take a look at the various "Unending" battle scenes. The weapon fires, then the weapon detaches from the ship and continues of its own accord. If it was like Trek's phasers, then yea, they'd be pretty much invincible cause they could just sweep the beam around any moving target and blow it away. Not only that, but it appears that Wraith weapons are still very strong. I don't think we've been able to develop the uber-strong shielding that Oddyssey seems to exhibit probably because Apollo, Daedalus, and other ships don't/won't have a ZPM neccessarily. Plus, it may take more time to engineer new shield technologies than the plasma beam weapons. I'd say that while yes, we do have the advanced weapons, we don't neccessarily have the shielding to back them up. Not only that, but we haven't seen the new weapons fire aft or even very much out of the forward direction of the ship. And on top of that, we haven't seen the plasma weapons take on more than one ship at a time unlike the railguns.
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

What i'd love to see would be a mirror shield that can reflect beams to the sender.

It would be so funny to see the Odissey shoot at an enemy ship and oh! surprise!
            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

That would be sweet

Comment

I wonder if Todd will come up with some defense against our weapons, or maybe steal schematics of them or something when he
                Spoiler:
                steals the Apollo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                  I wonder if Todd will come up with some defense against our weapons, or maybe steal schematics of them or something when he
                  Spoiler:
                  steals the Apollo
                  Yeah i sure hope so.

I don't like the idea of the tau'ri being superior when it comes to technology and especially weapon/shield technology. I hope either the wraith/todd manage to upgrade their ships weaponary and the organic hull or even develop or steal shield technology.
                  sigpic

Comment

The weapons are far too advanced for the Wraith to build from regular specs.

Todd would need to steal the Asgard replicators and instruction manuals.

Nothing can withstand the beams, that is why Earth only got them in Season 10 last episode no less.

With the beams and the Asgard shields, 304's open up a can of whoop ass on anything.

As for the Wraith as an enemy, they are rather weak and trashy, third rate enemies.

I like to see some evil Asgard, evil Ancients (not Ori), or evil Nox, hehe, take on the Tauri.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post

Nothing can withstand the beams, that is why Earth only got them in Season 10 last episode no less.

With the beams and the Asgard shields, 304's open up a can of whoop ass on anything.

As for the Wraith as an enemy, they are rather weak and trashy, third rate enemies.

I like to see some evil Asgard, evil Ancients (not Ori), or evil Nox, hehe, take on the Tauri.
                      Evil asgard and nox? Not likely.Both of Their societies were to evolved and mature to split up and become evil. Loki could serve as an evil asgard but he just tried to save his dying race.

However what would be intresting would be a whole new base (Not pretending to be gods) that are on similar technology levels as perhaps the tollans but were more aschen like in a way, They are constantly looking for new worlds to conquer to gain materials.

But hey, That's just an idea
                      sigpic

Comment

If Earth can build Asgard weapons a race leaps and bounds above us like the Wraith certainly can.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          steals the Apollo
                          Perhaps he does so, and it is stolen by michael's fleet. So that way we are no longer so uber..

Comment

Earth could not build the Asgard weapons from scratch., i.e. by stealing the weapon. Nobody on Earth could figure out the Tollan Ion Cannons. Neither will the Wraith be able to.

In order for Todd to build the Asgard beams, he would need the Asgard database and replication device, this is how Earth is building the beams.

Presumably that is why SGC has been unsuccessful in creating drones or ZPMs. Drones should not be that difficult. By something like the ZPM, even with detailed instructions, SGC will be unable to make one. Requires a simple interface that can replicate ZPMs.

As for defense against beams, no defense. They eat through shields and other materials. Dodging is ridiculous, Michael's plot shield Cruiser aside. Because 1 direct hit=dissected Cruiser.

The beams would be moving faster than any other weapon in the SG universe.
                            The speed of the beam (close to light, just faster than a very fast missile) depends on the CGI used at the time.

Comment

Earth could not build the Asgard weapons from scratch., i.e. by stealing the weapon. Nobody on Earth could figure out the Tollan Ion Cannons. Neither will the Wraith be able to.

The wraith are way smarter than us

In order for Todd to build the Asgard beams, he would need the Asgard database and replication device, this is how Earth is building the beams.

Give evidence for this statement

Presumably that is why SGC has been unsuccessful in creating drones or ZPMs. Drones should not be that difficult. By something like the ZPM, even with detailed instructions, SGC will be unable to make one. Requires a simple interface that can replicate ZPMs.

Again, give evidence. Anyway to replicate a ZPM would require the amount of power that the ZPM has

As for defense against beams, no defense. They eat through shields and other materials. Dodging is ridiculous, Michael's plot shield Cruiser aside. Because 1 direct hit=dissected Cruiser.

How is dodging ridiculous, the go in a straight line so one you've fired it cant go anywhere else.

The beams would be moving faster than any other weapon in the SG universe.
                              The speed of the beam (close to light, just faster than a very fast missile) depends on the CGI used at the time.
                              How do you know its close to the speed of light? watch all the epps with beams in and you can see they go nowhere near the speed of light. There is no statement in the show that says they go at C
                              Dude so much wrong with your post
                              Perhaps Puff

Comment

Working...
                              X