X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Question

Help! I'm confused.

How many gates are there on Earth? There's the Giza gate, the Antartic gate and the Russian Gate. Are there actually three gates or are the Antartic and Russian gates the same one? What happened to each of them?

Thanks
    Sparki
    Honk if you love cheese

There are two Gates...

The first Gate was found in Giza and used in the SGC until it was beamed aboard the Bilistner (sp) in Nemesis it was then found by the Russians and they had it until Redemption were the U.S. is now leasing it from the Russians.

The second Gate was found in the Arctic moved to Area 51 used by the rogue NID until it was sealed by Gen. Hammonds Orders. When the First Gate was lost in Nemesis the second gate was brough out of storage and used up until the events of Redeption where it was destroyed by Anubis.
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Don't forget, the "one shot" gate built by Orlin still technically counts as a gate. Or at least, I've seen Earth's gate count listed as "three" in a couple of places and that's why. I've heard it's in storage at Area 51. Wonder if they'd ever find a way to use it again. Might be nice to lug around your own semi-portable gate. "In case of emergency..."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Don't forget, the "one shot" gate built by Orlin still technically counts as a gate. Or at least, I've seen Earth's gate count listed as "three" in a couple of places and that's why. I've heard it's in storage at Area 51. Wonder if they'd ever find a way to use it again. Might be nice to lug around your own semi-portable gate. "In case of emergency..."
        Or as a prank... dial up a Goa'uld planet, walk up to someone you don't like, and drop it on them...

Comment

ShadowMaat

I liked Orlin's gate. I wonder why the SGC never tried to duplicate what he made. Everything he used was Earth material and all they had to do was see what substances he purchased with Carter's money, study the minature gate and build their own version. Perhaps Earth would even become smart enough to build their very own gate network! lol
          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
            I liked Orlin's gate. I wonder why the SGC never tried to duplicate what he made.
            Maybe that's what they're trying to figure out at Area 51.

Maybe they're using the wrong brand of toaster...

Comment

Yes, perhaps they need a older model toaster! lol One that uses less power and that toasts very slowly
              __

__

Comment

we dont even know if carter said in her debreifing that a toaster was used... now THAT would confuse those in A51...
                Suffer, for it is your reward.

Comment

... and there was the government thinking it was a piece of alien technology. Finally, they've found a weapon to defeat the Goa'uld!

Comment

And it's not round any grey with symbols ll over it

Comment

Originally posted by thor39
                      And it's not round any grey with symbols ll over it
                      Toaster Dialing Sequence: Temperature, No. of Sides to be Toasted, Estimated Time of Toast Needing, Bagels/Bread or poptarts, white or brown, toastiness

Point of Origin: Breadbin

Comment

I've always wondered about those gates. The Tollan made a samller one also.

Surely when they come out the other side they should be huge. They're in sub-space or wherever they go during transport. They are re-intergrated by the gate. So, surely they should be re-intergrated according to the size ratio of the gate. Since most of the gates are exactly the same size, they would always be the same size. But, Sam could hardly fit thru Orlin's gate, so she should hardly be able to fit through the other one aswell.

If not, where does she emmerge. The Centre, bottom, top? And if you dial up a smaller gate like the Tollan's and send something through in a section that isn't covered by the smaller gate, where does it go?
                        Godspeed, Don.

Comment

I've always wondered why were there two gates on Earth. You would think the ancients might have made it so you could use more than one gate on a planet. If you have to specify a point of origin would it not be possible to operate two gates on a planet with two different points of origin? Of course the problem would be dialing to it but you would thing that the point of origin would somehow be represented in the first six chevrons.

I also don't completly understand the dialing system. Has anyone figured out what each symbol means as in is it a cordinate or does each one relate to a certain quadrant then section and solar system and so on?

Comment

The symbols are star constellations as you look into the night sky on the "planet of origin", so from earth to get to abydos you'd need a position in between orion and the north star, so using all 6 symbols you first find orion's belt, then you find the north star symbol etc etc. the gates are supposed to look different on other planets because the stars would change at night. The movie explains it better than I can.

Comment

Ah I see thank you, I haven't watched the movie ina long time and so probably frgt about that. I thought I remembered reading in another thread though that the series changed this after the producers realised that it would never be possible to do some part of it.

Also how do they know what to dial when there on another planet then? If the star concelations change then so would the adress each time so wouldn't they have to spend at least one day there to see over night what they would have to dial and i'm sure i've seen episodes where this is not the case or they have been unconchios theough out the night? Also they would need to know where Earth would be in the night sky wouldn't they? The only explanation I could think of would be that at the SGC they have some sort of pretty powerful computer which can virtually recreate star concelations how they would look on other planets but this of course would have bugs as a planet on the other side of the galaxy may contain a cluster of stars which we haven't seen yet because light from them has yet to reach us essentially trapping that team on that planet.

Comment

Working...
                              X