PDA

View Full Version : "Brain Storm" (516) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

PG15
May 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Writer: Martin Gero
Director: Martin Gero

---

It's mentioned. It can be unmentioned:

Well, hey. Marty G. just dropped by to pitch out his new, wonderfully exciting idea for Episode #15. We all love it. I suggested he rush back to his office and write it up before he changes his mind. Again.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/may-8-2008-production-update/

GoSpikey
May 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Fist! :p

PG, I know you say that when an episode idea gets mentioned twice, you make the board, but honestly, it's been mentioned twice in the SAME blog entry...

Afraid again? :P

PG15
May 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Fist? ;)

Yes, that was the old rule. Now it's first mention = thread. Yep. :p

Fenrir Foxz
May 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, that was the old rule. Now it's first mention = thread. Yep. :p

Trying to stay one step ahead incase someone else decides to make an episode discussion thread ruining your plans for folder domination? :P

Killdeer
May 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I guess this means "Hexed" is out of the running? :(

PG15
May 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, looks like it...at least in Season 5. Who knows, maybe they can do it for Season 6, should the show get renewed again.

I've asked JM that today, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Maybe.

Trying to stay one step ahead incase someone else decides to make an episode discussion thread ruining your plans for folder domination? :P

Yes, and now that there's only 1 more episode thread left to make, I must stay vigilant, lest my entire effort goes to waste! ;)

ussrelativity
May 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Yes, and now that there's only 1 more episode thread left to make, I must stay vigilant, lest my entire effort goes to waste! ;)

And you wouldn't want that to happen.

Baileyblue
May 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Why not just make a The Unkown Episode Thread, or the To Be Announced Episode Thread, or the Who the Hell Knows What it's About Episode thread, just to make sure it gets on the board? :S

Fenrir Foxz
May 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM

LOL :P

GoSpikey
May 9th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Which ep are we missing?

And yes, on the other board that I frequented (not on here), we used to call the first comment on a new page a 'fist'.

Just because someone wanted to post 'first' and mistyped it as 'fist'. He tried to correct it twice, but kept on forgetting that silly letter, so it's 'fisting'. :)

PG15
May 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not even gonna comment on that...fisting, lest the thread goes to the gutter. :p

I think we're missing episode 519 which, along with "CSI Atlantis" is written and directed by Rob Cooper and appears to be connected to 520. I can't be sure though, until JM answers one of the questions I posed yesterday, so we'll see. If I'm wrong, then I'd be making a thread based on NO info, and that's just WRONG. ;)

Platschu
May 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
They should make an SG-1-Atlantis cross-over as a sign of respect in 5x19, but the Atlantis stars have to be in 100th episode for the "real" party. :)

PG15
May 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
It might be Martin Gero's pitch, but...

We spun Marty G.’s latest story idea this morning, going back and forth on various notions as the room argued containment fields, points of science, and hot vs. cold air masses. The thematic shift of his story has turned out to be a good new/bad news situation for me. Good news: HE is now writing “A Very Special Stargate: Atlantis”. Bad news: He takes the #16 slot which means I’m writing #15 which will have to be ready to prep on the day we get back from our summer hiatus. It would be great to have a story locked some time before then, but it’s been mighty slow going. And I’m getting mighty anxious. By the way, best exchange of the day:

Brad: But that contradicts the laws of thermodynamics!

Martin: Laws are made to be broken!

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/may-12-2008-this-n-that/

Pajus is going to love this one. ;)

Mitchell82
May 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM

:lol:

Fenrir Foxz
May 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Brad: But that contradicts the laws of thermodynamics!

Martin: Laws are made to be broken!

:indeed:

I wonder what they have in mind that contradicts the laws of thermodynamics :P

GoSpikey
May 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Does anyone have a good definition of thermodynamics? Lol.

I don't think we came that far with physics. We had ways to stall the teacher. :P

PG15
May 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM
It depends on what you mean by a "definition" of Thermodynamics. It's basically a study of the macroscopic properties and consequences of heat flowng in/out of a substance or some such. I kind of pushed it out of my mind after taking a course on it. I hated it. :p

There are also 3 laws of Thermdynamics.

PG15
May 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Small update:

Speaking of scripts - I’ve finally made some headway on episode #15. Sort of. I’ve expanded the story and included throughlines for three separate characters, an A story mystery, and a B story probationary review.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/may-12-2008-whispers-julys-botm-club-selections-and-mike-banas-pi/

Nevermind this. Mistakes have been made.

GoSpikey
May 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
That was indeed some sort of an update. :)

g.o.d
May 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM
It depends on what you mean by a "definition" of Thermodynamics. It's basically a study of the macroscopic properties and consequences of heat flowng in/out of a substance or some such. I kind of pushed it out of my mind after taking a course on it. I hated it. :p

There are also 3 laws of Thermdynamics.

magic. It's simply magic

Jeff O'Connor
May 14th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Probationary reviews are always fun.

PG15
May 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Update:

Pilgrim writes: “If I recall correctly a while ago you said that Martin Gero would be directing an episode in the second half, is that still the case? And, if so, which episode will it be?”

Answer: He’ll be directing episode #15.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/may-15-2008-marty-g-blows-something-up/

Hmmm...

Nevermind. I've got it cleared up. Marty G isn't directing this episode.

GoSpikey
May 16th, 2008, 04:38 AM
*Hugs PG*

Almost had it right... :)

PG15
May 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Update:

I’ve discovered a cure for insomnia! If you’re ever lying wide awake in bed and unable to fall sleep, all you have to do is start thinking about the outline for your upcoming script. I guarantee you’ll be out before the first act break. Amazingly, it seems to work for mid-afternoon naps as well. Yes, the outline is slow going, but I hope to have a rough beat sheet in by end of day Tuesday after which everyone will weigh in and no doubt help me fill in the missing pieces that will send me on my way to script. If I can lock in a structure by early next week, I could probably turn in a first draft before mid-June, leaving my hiatus more or less free and clear for reading, Esperanto lessons, and my beginner’s garroting class.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/may-18-2008-a-cure-for-insomnia/

Nevermind this, mistakes have been made.

Platschu
May 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
If I remember well, the 5x15 will be written by Joseph Mallozzi and the 5x16 will be Martin Gero's pitch. So you should change the titles. :o

PG15
May 18th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Actually, Joe will be writing Martin's pitch, while Martin takes over for Joe's "very special episode"/Remnants.

It's confusing, believe me.

GoSpikey
May 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Did anyone try to tell him that, if he's falling asleep just from thinking out the script, we'll most likely will do the same in the first 5 min? :S

:P

PG15
May 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Alright alright alright, everything's kind of screwed up.

PG15 writes: “ Episode 15 = Marty’s pitch, but you’re writing it. You’ve now named it Remnants.
Episode 16 = Very Special Atlantis Episode, Marty’s writing it (and directing it).”

Answer: Why would I be writing Martin’s pitch yet keep the title I came up with for my story? Nope. I’ll be writing my story, Remnants, in the 15 slot. Martin will write and direct his story in the 16 slot.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/may-21-2008-ballroom-dancing-linked-to-mad-cow-disease/

Hold on, let me switch some spoilers around...

EDIT: Turns out, only needed to add this:

To prevent any loss of information due to my faulty memory, I'm going to try to make these threads the moment I hear of an episode's existence. I know there isn't much to discuss at the moment, but when the info do come in, it'll have a home.

So far, all we know is...

At this point, the schedule looks something like this: [...] the Martin Gero “written and directed by spectacular“

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/29/april-29-2008-on-the-set-of-whispers/

The other things Martin Gero has directed, to my knowledge, are his own film, "Young People F***ing" and those Stargate Superfan commercials.

Oh, and..."Martin Gero Spectacular" =/= real title.

GoSpikey
May 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Think this is the Michael ep?

How many sloths have we got open for the Michael ep? Is there an overview/speculation? I think I've seen you and someone else compare notes on the ep sloths, PG...

PG15
May 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sloths? You mean slots, right? Sloths are really really slow, tree-dwelling animals. :p

I don't think it's possible to figure out which episode Michael's in based on the episode titles. We'll just have to wait and see.

GoSpikey
May 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Er, that'll work also...

There's a Sloth game around on the net somewhere, you see... :)

(Is non-English, like FH)

Yeah, I would like to know what positions are open, still, but it's maybe only one ep that's left?

McKay, Shep, and Woolsey on the mainland won't be it, though, right?

Michael never found Atlantis, I think, since in Missing Nabel demanded the addy, and in TLM it was still standing.

TBA
May 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well, we do know that S&R willl revolve around Michael of course. Beyond that, Whispers deals with some of his creatures and Inquisition will deal with Atlantis responsible for creating Michael. And there's also some episodes we know nothing plot-wise about, so who knows ;)

Jumper_One
May 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well, we do know that S&R willl revolve around Michael of course. Beyond that, Whispers deals with some of his creatures and Inquisition will deal with Atlantis responsible for creating Michael. And there's also some episodes we know nothing plot-wise about, so who knows ;)

I thought that was only one part of Inquisition

GoSpikey
May 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM

No kidding... ;)

But we were fishing for the NEW episode with Connor in it.

Maybe it is Inquisition, and Michael's playing the wronged party, and demands goods in return for the pain done to him. Teyla and the baby... :lol:

PG15
June 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Some new bits in the new Gateworld article:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/06/gero_to_direct_iatlantisi.shtml

Jumper_One
June 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Some new bits in the new Gateworld article:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/06/gero_to_direct_iatlantisi.shtml

More recently Gero informed GateWorld exclusively that this fourth episode will be Earth-based. The title is still not known.
interesting...

PG15
June 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Update:

Speaking of Martin, we’ll be breaking his episode #16 when he gets back into town next week. Apparently, finding an oil rig-like setting for his script has been a bit of a challenge. John Smith did find one suitable-looking place however. The only drawback = it’s a sewage treatment plant and, by John’s own admission, tends to get “a little ripe in the summertime”. But sacrifices must be made for art and I, for one, don’t really have a problem shooting there despite the olfactory downside. Of course, the fact that I have no intention of visiting the location during production could have something to do with it. Also, the fact that Marty G., the director of said episode, WILL have to be there may result in a conceptual change. Maybe the story doesn’t take place on an oil rig after all. Maybe it takes place in a second-hand book shop…

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/june-6-2008-mime-trapped-in-invisible-box-for-11-days-bystanders-assumed-it-was-part-of-act/

Platschu
June 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I can't say I became exited. Martin Gero is a very good writer, but I don't know why they had to return to Earth based stories. Maybe they want to reuse the SGC set, which is always a good point. :D But I hope it won't be a NID/Trust story. I would like to see same SG-1 character (Walter, Dr. Lee, Mitchell or Teal'c). :P

zoislk
June 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I can't say I became exited. Martin Gero is a very good writer, but I don't know why they had to return to Earth based stories. Maybe they want to reuse the SGC set, which is always a good point. :D But I hope it won't be a NID/Trust story. I would like to see same SG-1 character (Walter, Dr. Lee, Mitchell or Teal'c). :P

Earth episodes are probably (almost always) cheaper. They wanted a cheap episode to give a little breathing room for the rest of the eps. There is less of a need for any sort of special effects or CGI work. And it gives a little break from the same PG episodes you always see (variety is a good thing)

You're bound to see an Earth episode or three in a season, depending on their seasonal budget and how big their other episodes are.

GoSpikey
June 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Well, there's a lot of Wraith related stories going on in season 5, so can't complain about one that takes use home again...

I mean, they're trying to get Todd in for the other left over ep... :D

:o

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Oy...

The rest of the gang is understandably busy. Still, we did find time to gather and discuss Martin’s script (a very special Stargate Atlantis). The highpoint of the afternoon’s progress was, of course, the place-holder title we came up with: Snow Globe. Ah, the satisfaction of another day’s work well done.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/june-9-2008-chinchilla-wins-mayorlty-race-in-san-monito-county/

I give up.

Jumper_One
June 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
hm snow in the PG? :P somehow reminds me of Beneath the Surface...

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM

I don't mind Earth eps or even NID ones. As long as the story is interesting I'll be fine.

jenks
Surely it's not a Christmas episode?

Mitchell82
hm snow in the PG? :P somehow reminds me of Beneath the Surface...
An odd but interesting ep.

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM

It'd be a first for the franchise.

Not Telling
June 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM

The title sounds like a Christmas-ish episode to me.

Platschu
June 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I have said earlier my Titanic 2 : Atlantis idea. :mckayanime18:

I could imagine icebergs around Atlantis because of the melting of the poles. Maybe an oceanic undercurrent will bring them near the cold north. There were desert, storm, deadly whales so we need something new nature disaster. ;)

^ I didn't count with Ronon. :lol:

The Prophet
June 9th, 2008, 09:40 PM
It's Atlantis crossed with Lost. ;)

They can't get off Atlantis, because it's trapped in some sort of space/time manipulating "snow globe" :P

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have said earlier my Titanic 2 : Atlantis idea. :mckayanime18:

I could imagine icebergs around Atlantis because of the melting of the poles. Maybe an oceanic undercurrent will bring them near the cold north. There were desert, storm, deadly whales so we need something new nature disaster. ;)

^ I didn't count with Ronon. :lol:
I think a new Natural Disaster type event could be interesting but an idea I have would be better but result in many dead people. And no I don't mean a blow it all up and start over approach.

Klenotka
June 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I have no idea what is this episode about but I have to admit - I LOVE the title :D And I even don´t know why :D

Didn´t Mallozzi say some time ago that they are planning a Xmas episode? I am not sure but I think it was mentioned somewhere.

GoSpikey
June 10th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Why would they celebrate Christmas on Atlantis?

:S

TBA
June 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Why wouldn't they?

GoSpikey
June 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Cos people like Teyla aren't catholic, or another Earth religion?

And I'm thinking that maybe the left over Athosians stay in Atlantis, too?

kymeric
June 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Without sg1 on air sga hasto make some connection with earth. I like the occasional earth episode :)

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Cos people like Teyla aren't catholic, or another Earth religion?

And I'm thinking that maybe the left over Athosians stay in Atlantis, too?

Wait since when was Christmas just a Catholic holiday? And even though the Athosians and even Ronon wouldn't know about it doesn't mean they wouldn't celebrate it.

g.o.d
June 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Why wouldn't they?

They should..but TPTB must somehow involve Santa Claus from Futurama;)

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
They should..but TPTB must somehow involve Santa Claus from Futurama;)

No way the best Santa is right herehttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/gatefan7882/santa2.gif

Klenotka
June 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
No, please no Santa! This is an international expedition and if Christmas, then international - neutral. Santa is just US, every nation has someone else.

But why am I talking about Santa? This episode has probably nothing to do with Christmas :D
It has to be the hot weather - makes me think about Christmas :D

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
No, please no Santa! This is an international expedition and if Christmas, then international - neutral. Santa is just US, every nation has someone else.
Uh are you serious? If so then I suggest you re read world history.

Fenrir Foxz
June 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
No way the best Santa is right herehttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/gatefan7882/santa2.gif

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM

What you don't like The Santa Claus or are you just in a funny mood today.;):):cool:

jenks
June 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM

No, I suggest you do. Most countries have their own santa-like character, they're not all the same and most have different names. Santa is really just a US and Canada thing, and to a lesser extent the UK, but he's usually called Father Christmas over here.

Klenotka
June 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Sorry, but this is really funny. I am from country, where we really don´t have Santa (and many of us are sick from constant invasion of Santas from US movies and shows)and I should read history? You do it ;) Or you thought that whole planet has some version of someone, who brings gifts to kids?

Anyway, sorry for OT.

Once I read really cool fan fiction about Christmas in Atlantis. It was made very believeable and there was no problem with Teyla, Ronon or others who don´t celebrate Xmas. But I think if authors should do Xmas story, it would be something like "problems find us even on Christmas Eve". But I think there could be some cute confusion, where Americans have gifts in the morning and for example Zelenka (as Czech) would get his in the evening how is it done here :D Hmm, I think I will try to write a story again...
It could be cool to see something like that in one episode, thought.

GoSpikey
June 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
In Belgium we have "Sinterklaas" on the 6th of December.

And then Santa Claus on the 25th... :)

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
No, I suggest you do. Most countries have their own santa-like character, they're not all the same and most have different names. Santa is really just a US and Canada thing, and to a lesser extent the UK, but he's usually called Father Christmas over here.
Ok so yeah he is called other things but it is still the same concept.

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Sorry, but this is really funny. I am from country, where we really don´t have Santa (and many of us are sick from constant invasion of Santas from US movies and shows)and I should read history? You do it ;) Or you thought that whole planet has some version of someone, who brings gifts to kids?
I know the whole planet does not but a far as I recall several countries, UK, and most of Europe as well as Finland have similar incarnations of Santa, like Father Christmas. Also I have a minor in History and the idea of Santa was modeled after a real person in Turkey in the 11th century.

jenks
June 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Ok so yeah he is called other things but it is still the same concept.

Actually it's not just the names, the tales from each country are all fairly unique (http://ezinearticles.com/?Santa-in-Different-Countries&id=263450).

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Actually it's not just the names, the tales from each country are all fairly unique (http://ezinearticles.com/?Santa-in-Different-Countries&id=263450).

I'm aware of that and I never said they weren't. I understand the frustration that the majority of the version that is shown in movies and tv is the American one but we have ventured way of topic.

prion
June 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
June 10th

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/june-10-2008-cereal-mascot-knife-fight-claims-the-life-of-beloved-franken-berry/

We did get around to breaking Martin’s story today. The place-holder title, Snow Globe, lasted all of one day. It looks like, instead, we’ll be going with Rob Cooper’s suggestion: Brain Storm.

Gonna have to change the title of the thread!

GateofDOOM
June 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Santa as he appears in Canada and the US is almost wholly the creation of the Coca-Cola Corporation.
How's that for corporate power?

On Topic: Brain Storm!!

Sounds ominous.

GoSpikey
June 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Muahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

naamiaiset
June 11th, 2008, 03:27 AM
brain storm? the first person I thought that could be for is mckay. :p

GoSpikey
June 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM
LOVE the new siggy!

prion
June 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Santa as he appears in Canada and the US is almost wholly the creation of the Coca-Cola Corporation.
How's that for corporate power?

On Topic: Brain Storm!!

Sounds ominous.

Wonder if the writers realize BRAINSTORM was the name of the ill-fated scifiy type movie in which Natalie Wood died?

kymeric
June 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Ronin sitting thru Xmas mass = lol!

Even i cant sit still that long!

PG15
June 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
From the new Martin Gero interview:

MG: [...] and I'm going to do one more which I'm also going to direct, but I have no idea what it's going to be yet.

I'm so focused on getting this two-parter really, really great. So I'm not sure. I think, ideally, it will be a smaller, quieter episode and [will] save some money.

GW: Has it been slotted into the schedule yet? Do you know what number it is?

MG: Yeah, I think it's going to be number 15. [Update: Now episode 16, "Brain Storm." -Ed.] It depends. It keeps moving around because I have responsibilities.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/landmarks3.shtml

GoSpikey
June 27th, 2008, 03:47 AM
So it's still brain storm, so far? Hmm...

Funny how 'brain' immediately reminds us of Rodney's... But I'm guessing this time we're not going to fry it. :o

PG15
July 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
A mention:

Which took me to about 3:30 p.m., just in time for a double note session on my final draft of Remnants and Marty G.’s first draft of Brain Storm.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/july-14-2008-unwelcome-bodies-by-jennifer-pelland/

GoSpikey
July 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Anyway. "Brain Storm"

Yup, it's: The One With McKay's Rival Scientist. *gg*

Running a last few tests for a presentation the next day, Tunney stands in the control room of an Earth-located secret facility when an older guy - Kramer - walks in and confronts him about how his staff thinks it's reckless to go through with it. Tunney is very confident in his work, though, saying that, yes, of course things could go wrong but they won't and The Cause - which is involved in funding the project, if I read this correctly - is going to be very thrilled with everything.

And how it is, Drs. Rodney McKay and Jennifer Keller are on the way to that very same presentation. [Which means of course something's going wrong, duh! We need a storyline. ;)]

McKay *****es about the private jet his beloved rival sent to get them. Why? Well, it's just because the guy wants to rub it in, blah blah, blah. Keller thinks he should enjoy it no matter what, and hey, he tries. There is a limit to his goodwill, though, when they arrive at the secret facility and are asked to sign none disclosure and confidentialy agreements. Again, Keller is the one to get him to cut back on the *****ing and just sign so they can go in.

Inside, the cocktail party is in full swing when the couple is standing on their own, having some snacks. Enter two of Rodney's past acquaintances - Ken and Steve - and, wow, it's so not love at first sight. Later, Rodney and Jennifer go snooping around, but the latter isn't too happy about that.

At the same time, Tunney and Kramer are made aware of the fact that they have a problem: they can't turn off the device. Or rather turning of the "space/time bridge" said device draws its power from. Since it's impossible to lower the shields with it still active, it leaves them all trapped in the building - and in danger of freezing to death. On top of that, Tunney believes that someone tampered with it.

Things turn from bad to worse, when the device gets a little out of control.

For once, KcKay and Tunney are in complete agreement and try to convince Kramer to make a call to the military, but the man doesn't want to listen. He doesn't want the government to shut down the project, being so close to a solution for global warming. They try to make the call anyway, only to find out that someone killed the phone lines.

Later on her quest to reach the SGC, something hits the hallway Keller is ind breaks her phone. Worse, she gets stuck - literally frozen in, as she tells Rodney over the radio. The scientist is in the control room of the facility with Tunney and Ken still trying to shut off the device. After discussion the situation over and over, McKay decides to go after Jennifer. He's lucky, but she's in pretty bad shape.

Back in the control room, the containment field around the building fails and the outside world is affected as well. Lightning strikes, tornados, dust storms, etc. are the consequences. [Sounds creepy...] Tunney races to shut off the device...

GateofDOOM
July 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Brain STORM!!!

Dun dun dun!

The TARDIS
July 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well now... that sounds awesome :D

I'm placing my money on Tunney being Bill Nye... but we'll just have to wait and see, shall we? :P

PG15
July 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Ahhh!!!

*Turns away from the uber-detailed spoilers*

Jumper_One
July 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM

ooh sounds great :D

PG15
July 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
*Still avoiding*

French update!

Anais33 a ecrit: “2) Selon vous qu’elle épisode sera le plus comique?”

Answer: 2) Brain Storm.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/17/july-17-2008-congratulations-to-our-vfx-crew-suggestions-for-this-years-crew-gift-jeff-carlsons-trailer-for-plague-war/

Platschu
July 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
http://gateworld.net/news/2008/07/new_details_on_brain_storm.shtml

It sounds cool. I think they began to envy the frozen set from Continuum. :P

Klenotka
July 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I am looking forward to this one! More than to The Shrine I have to say. Rodney on his own. I have to admit I like this type of episodes where some of characters returns to Earth to face the past. I wasn´t too happy about some episodes being set on Earth but this one is the second one I am really excited about. So yeah, I think I am beginning to be slightly optimistic :)

g.o.d
July 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
boring

GoSpikey
July 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I never thought I'd agree with G.o.a.'u.l.d.

:eek:

stclare
July 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I am looking forward to this one! More than to The Shrine I have to say. Rodney on his own. I have to admit I like this type of episodes where some of characters returns to Earth to face the past. I wasn´t too happy about some episodes being set on Earth but this one is the second one I am really excited about. So yeah, I think I am beginning to be slightly optimistic :)

As long as Rodney doesnt act to much OOC I think this ep could be good. im interested to know what the artifact is and what it does etc.

I cant stand the name though Brain Storm makes me think of the Artic Monkeys Brian Storm. I now have that sone going round and round in my head :o

thekillman
July 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
i hope his rival isnt killed/ruined, and actually gets contracted for Area 51. imagine. we could help tons of people. or just use a planet for farming and flood the world with cheap, high quality food.

Infinatus
July 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I hope this "The Cause" organization is actually the Trust.

Platschu
July 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Pro:
- Martin Gero will write and direct it
- maybe they will talk about Touchstone
- they can reuse the big fridge from Continuum to create frozen set in Atlantis too
- I hope McKay's sister will appear too

Contra:
- only Jennifer and Rodney, where is Teyla, John, Richard and Ronon?
- Earth based adventure
- it seems to be a "stand alone" adventure, which has no connection to earlier episodes
- the story is a bit slowly, which contains less "scifi" element

Jumper_One
July 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Pro:
- Martin Gero will write and direct it
- maybe they will talk about Touchstone

I doubt it

- they can reuse the big fridge from Continuum to create frozen set in Atlantis too

why in Atlantis?

- I hope McKay's sister will appear too

Jeannie will only be in The Shrine imo

Contra:
- only Jennifer and Rodney, where is Teyla, John, Richard and Ronon?

I think only Shep will appear briefly, ie Trio

- Earth based adventure

that's bad?

- it seems to be a "stand alone" adventure, which has no connection to earlier episodes

we'll meet some of Rodneys old friends

- the story is a bit slowly, which contains less "scifi" element

maybe

Platschu
July 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I liked the first half of the season better after the spoilers, because I would like to see more Pegasus related adventures. When I want to see Earth based adventures, than I will watch X-Files. :o So I fear they waste an episode for a stand-alone adventure instead of making a better, more complex story with every actor. ;)

Jumper_One
July 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I liked the first half of the season better after the spoilers, because I would like to see more Pegasus related adventures. When I want to see Earth based adventures, than I will watch X-Files. :o So I fear they waste an episode for a stand-alone adventure instead of making a better, more complex story with every actor. ;)

did you enjoy Outcast?

GoSpikey
July 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I *missed* Outcast, since it aired on Sunday, and the girl next door had problems with getting her own tape out of her vid recorder, so no putting mine in and recording. :(

Must get it some other way, then. :(

Platschu
July 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
did you enjoy Outcast?
I like it, but I could imagine more original SG story, which involves recurring stars and older storylines. I would like to see new planets, races, cultures, but not Earth and secret companies etc. NID, Trust, IOA... They are boring for me. :o

Jumper_One
July 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I *missed* Outcast, since it aired on Sunday, and the girl next door had problems with getting her own tape out of her vid recorder, so no putting mine in and recording. :(

Must get it some other way, then. :(

that sucks :S

I like it, but I could imagine more original SG story, which involves recurring stars and older storylines. I would like to see new planets, races, cultures, but not Earth and secret companies etc. NID, Trust, IOA... They are boring for me. :o

I think this ep might be like Outcast but instead of Shep the main characters would be Rodney and Keller

Platschu
July 19th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Maybe my worries are baseless. If they continue the same quality what they showed in the first 2 episode, than it will be a great episode in the best season of Atlantis. :o

Reiko
July 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
» Oh no, more Keller. :mckay:

naamiaiset
July 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
boring
agreed. I think this'll be just as exciting as "the seed" was... err... wasn't.

PuddleJumper42
July 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I actually like Keller. But what I don't like is the Rodney/Keller pairing constantly being shoved at us.

Mitchell82
July 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
ooh sounds great :D

Sure does!

fumblesmcstupid
July 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I love Rodney Vs. Bitter enemy dude......It's like Die Hard and G.I Joe's Weather Dominator all rolled into one!!!

BOO on the Dasterdly Duo of K/M :(

Jumper_One
July 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
I actually like Keller. But what I don't like is the Rodney/Keller pairing constantly being shoved at us.

constantly? I don't remember any significant R/T moments in S&R and The Seed

GoSpikey
July 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Oh, it was there alright. :D :D :D

Jumper_One
July 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Oh, it was there alright. :D :D :D

where?

Mitchell82
July 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM

Meesa suggest you rewatch The Seed. It's there especially when Woolsey suggets making her a drone cushion.

Jumper_One
July 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Meesa suggest you rewatch The Seed. It's there especially when Woolsey suggets making her a drone cushion.

I'll admit that's a R/T moment but nothing significant imo

Mitchell82
July 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'll admit that's a R/T moment but nothing significant imo

Why do you put R/T? Doesn't Keller start with a K?;)

Jumper_One
July 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Why do you put R/T? Doesn't Keller start with a K?;)

LOL sorry :P R/T :rolleyes: of course it's R/K ;)

PuddleJumper42
July 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM

Okay, maybe constantly isn't the right word, but there does seem to be a lot of Rodney/Keller moments either mentioned in spoilers or shown on screen.

Reiko
July 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
» I cannot emphasize how much of a pain in the ass it was dodging all those McKeller anvils in The Seed. Which is why I'm dreading this episode, but Tracker will probably already make me spork myself.

Mitchell82
July 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
» I cannot emphasize how much of a pain in the ass it was dodging all those McKeller anvils in The Seed. Which is why I'm dreading this episode, but Tracker will probably already make me spork myself.

For you maybe but I liked it.

GoSpikey
July 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
I liked it as well (I think I about agree to everything Mitchell says?) :D

And I also meant I saw the Rodney/Keller things. Let them.

Jumper_One
July 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Okay, maybe constantly isn't the right word, but there does seem to be a lot of Rodney/Keller moments either mentioned in spoilers or shown on screen.

really? hm I must be blind :P

PG15
July 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Update:

Once that was done, the producers took a stroll down to the lot where we checked out the (and hilariously named) reefer truck that Marty G. will be using for Brain Storm. The guys from SPFX were on hand to offer demonstration of the “burst pipe” sequence. Chilly!

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/july-21-2008-special-guest-bloggers-and-office-happenings/

GoSpikey
July 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
really? hm I must be blind :P

*Keeps on positioning the reflection her watch creates because of the sunlight right into Jumper's eyeballs*

g.o.d
July 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Once that was done, the producers took a stroll down to the lot where we checked out the (and hilariously named) reefer truck that Marty G. will be using for Brain Storm. The guys from SPFX were on hand to offer demonstration of the “burst pipe” sequence. Chilly!

what? it isn't great or even amazing? Blasphemy!

jenks
July 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
This is my least anticipated of the season, in fact I think it will seriously damage the entire franchise. Isn't Stargate supposed to be happening in the here and now and that's one of its draws? So a random scientist is creating a weather control device, what the **** were they thinking?

Bytor
July 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
This is my least anticipated of the season, in fact I think it will seriously damage the entire franchise. Isn't Stargate supposed to be happening in the here and now and that's one of its draws? So a random scientist is creating a weather control device, what the **** were they thinking?

hopefully he was former NID and got his hands on touchstone tech.

jenks
July 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I hope so.

bluealien
July 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM

I know.. it's also just Keller and Rodney.. the show just totally loses it's appeal for me when they split up the team like this and I don't even consider Keller part of the team. The team and their interaction is what draws me to SGA.. just like it did with SG1.. I don't recall many eps where we had a whole ep of Carter with some random guest star of the week, or Daniel off having an adventure just with Teal'c... I watched to see all of them walk through the gate together.. it was the team chemistry that kept me watching.

But SGA is getting way too diluted in that respect for me with too many characters being thown into the mix... Rodney and Keller together and some other random guy just leave me wanting to skip this episode entirely.

From the spoilers so far I'm beginning to think that not many eps will live up to Search and Rescue for me.

Mitchell82
July 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM

It definitely doesn't sound as good as most of the episodes though Marty is a good writer and director so I have hopes.

GoSpikey
July 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I've already seen this episode on 16th Feb 08, and again on 28th May... :mckay:

Infinatus
July 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Sorry, what?

Infinatus
July 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM

Well Henry Hayes obviously isn't the president, so if it's "here and now" it's either in an alternate reality or... On your TV.

But Earth has encountered weather control technology in Touchstone, so this isn't that far fetched for Stargate. I'm just worried that a) this episode might not be very interesting and b) this episode might not be very different from Touchstone.

jenks
July 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
^^ Yeah but that technology was created by an alien race, not some random present day scientist...

Infinatus
July 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
^^ Yeah but that technology was created by an alien race, not some random present day scientist...

You definitely have a point there.

Jumper_One
July 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

huh?

jelgate
July 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think Spikey is calling this a rehash of Touchstone. This seems like one of the weaker episodes of S5.

PG15
July 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Update:

Martin Gero was stumped. The Art Department needed a name for the venue in Brain Storm. You know, the one where Tunney gives his big speech and demonstration. “So what do I call it?”he asked the room.

Before anyone else could even consider the possibilities, Paul already had the answer: “The Carl Binder Memorial Theatre”. Brilliant! Word went out to the Art Department and, three hours later, the plans for the Carl Binder Memorial Theatre were distributed.

Success on the naming of the venue! Less cause for celebration on the naming of the one of the characters in the script. “I need a name for the English scientist,”Martin informed me.

“Percival Drinkwater,”I suggested.

“Yeah,”he admitted. “That was the first one I thought of too.” But his tone clearly indicated it wouldn’t fly.

We stood in silence for a full half minute at which point I offered: “Hamshell?”

He threw me a look. “Hamshell?“ With a sad shake of his head, he headed back down the corridor to his office.

“Haversham?!”I called out to him. But he was already long gone.

Also: Carl Binder and his memorial theatre...and Martin Gero (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/dsc09611.jpg)

All from: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/july-21-2008-remnants-day-1/

PG15
July 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
A mention:

Alan finished his rewrite of Infection, Martin is prepping Brain Storm, Carl is poised to prep Identity, and Paul has broken ground on #20. With less than two months to go, it looks like it’s going to be a mad dash to the finish line.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/july-23-2008-burgers-then-back-on-the-program-then-remnants-day-2/

Mitchell82
July 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I think Spikey is calling this a rehash of Touchstone. This seems like one of the weaker episodes of S5.

It doesn't sound like it's going to be one of the best eps but it could still be good.

GateofDOOM
July 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It doesn't sound like it's going to be one of the best eps but it could still be good.

Sounds like it's going to be a funny episode...
What with Martin Gero writing and all.

GoSpikey
July 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Maybe he needs to save the script... :D

Jumper_One
July 31st, 2008, 04:48 PM
from AL's blog

And if the science aspects of the show excite you, stay tuned for Brain Storm - Martin Gero's upcoming episode - which will air in the fall.
http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

naamiaiset
July 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Well, it’s a race to the finish line as Marty G. begins directing Brain Storm today (which, if you haven’t heard by now, will guest Dave Foley, Billy Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson), Alan preps Infection (in which Todd makes his return following the events of the mid-season two-parter), Carl (Identity) and Rob (Vegas) field questions about their respective episodes, while Paul continues work on the big season (series?) finale.

from http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/july-31-2008-the-happening/

PG15
August 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Holy ****.

Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, AND Dave Foley? Kids in the Hall, Newsradio Dave Foley?!

This is like...no words can describe the sheer happiness I'm feeling right now.

Damn.

EDIT: Also, a mention from Alex Levine:

So it's a slow day around here. Martin Gero is directing his episode "Brain Storm" and the first unit is not on the lot (they're on location).

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archives/2008/07/slow_day_mish_m.html

GoSpikey
August 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
Who are they? :o

PG15
August 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Gods.

Naonak
August 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
On a slightly less insane note, Dave Foley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004929/) is an actor, Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist (who stole one of McKay's ideas ;)), and Bill Nye is a god (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye_the_Science_Guy). :p

kymeric
August 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM

Theyve had a full decade to poke and prod the Touchstone device. Frankly the scientist in charge sucks if he dosent have SOME idea how it works after that long. Ppl who can decode ancient technology shouldnt have trouble with something that could be guaould tech.

Naonak
August 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Theyve had a full decade to poke and prod the Touchstone device. Frankly the scientist in charge sucks if he dosent have SOME idea how it works after that long. Ppl who can decode ancient technology shouldnt have trouble with something that could be guaould tech.
They returned the Touchstone to the Medronans.

EvenstarSRV
August 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
:eek: Bill Nye is going to be on SGA! Woohoo!

I had the incredible opportunity of having dinner with Bill Nye and his wife a couple of years ago at my university, and I got his autograph on my lab safety glasses. I'm a bit of a science geek. :o

Hee, I'm very excited about this episode now. :D

PG15
August 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
From David Hewlett's twitter:

Hanging with Dave Foley, Bill Nye & Jewel Staite here on Atlantis...I love my job!

http://twitter.com/dhewlett/statuses/878324040

Gaaaah!! The jealousy is eating my braaaaaain!!

Naonak
August 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's OK, you still have us. :p

Actually, no, you're right...

Reiko
August 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM

» The ultimate geek fantasy, eh? ;)

Mitchell82
August 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
From David Hewlett's twitter:

http://twitter.com/dhewlett/statuses/878324040

Wait you actually have one?;)

GoSpikey
August 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
That's Linda, again... ;)

jelgate
August 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hold on for a second. It violates the law of physics for a whumper to have a brain

Mitchell82
August 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hold on for a second. It violates the law of physics for a whumper to have a brain

PG15
August 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oh, the whumpers have more brains than you can handle, little man. ;)

» The ultimate geek fantasy, eh? ;)

Yes! That's what it is!

Dave Foley is a comic genius, Bill Nye is a God, and Jewel Staite is...Jewel ****ing Staite!

Mitchell82
August 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Oh, the whumpers have more brains than you can handle, little man. ;)
Are you sure about that?

Yes! That's what it is!

Dave Foley is a comic genius, Bill Nye is a God, and Jewel Staite is...Jewel ****ing Staite!
David is such a lucky guy to not only be around two of the funniest and smartest tv personalities but Jewel as well.

PG15
August 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Small update:

Well, back in the office today and things are very quiet at The Bridge, partly because the cast and crew are away, shooting on location but mostly because yappy writers’ room regular Martin Gero is off with them directing his first full episode of Stargate Atlantis.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/august-4-2008-youre-all-monsters-more-guest-bloggers-and-todays-weird-food-purchase-of-the-day/

GoSpikey
August 6th, 2008, 03:47 AM

In that case, I have never once laughed with someone's hyperdrives blowing up, not once. Not even twice. Ever. :o

:D

PG15
August 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
A mention from Jewel Staite:

(we're currently shooting the episode "Brain Storm"—this will be a goody)

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=147037658&blogID=421479063

PG15
August 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
More gloating (;)) from David Hewlett's twitter:

Oh, just filming a few scenes with Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye! How I love Stargate!

http://twitter.com/dhewlett/statuses/880458322

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'd rather be seeing one with Todd... :P

Reiko
August 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
» Aww, poor Spikey :P I am also personally hoping a Wraith will come and crash the McKay/Keller party :P

Platschu
August 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
» Aww, poor Spikey :P I am also personally hoping a Wraith will come and crash the McKay/Keller party :P
They have to cull only one of them. :wraithanime11: So this is the reason how an 50% successful mission can change into 100%. :wraithqueen17:

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Awe, come on, they're cute... :P

Although I have to wonder how she can like him after Trio, with his 'maybe you should flash at them, it couldn't hurt'.

I mean, what an idiot makes such remarks?

jelgate
August 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
McKay always has had the mind of a teenager.

Platschu
August 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't care about the McKay / Keller ship, but she was a bit strange, when she almost kissed Ronon in Quarantine, than she began a relationship with McKay. But I accepted it, but I think it was written badly. Ronon could have been better, because she could change Ronon into a better character. IMHO.

I hope not only Keller and McKay will appear in this episode. :o Maybe there is a B plot, what we couldn't hear. ;)

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
There's like 3 different stories on at once, in BS...

Platschu
August 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
There's like 3 different stories on at once, in BS...
You know something, what I do not. :) Can you tell me some detail? :spoilerjunkie:

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Oh woopsie, was that Remnants?

Brain Storm is the Earth ep... :S

With the Touchstone-like device... :S

I always imagine "Storm" and Woolsey and the main land together, you see... But that's wrong.

Reiko
August 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
They have to cull only one of them. :wraithanime11: So this is the reason how an 50% successful mission can change into 100%. :wraithqueen17:

» Hopefully they'll take Keller. I can tolerate McKay and do like him. :):P

Platschu
August 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Oh woopsie, was that Remnants?

Brain Storm is the Earth ep... :S

With the Touchstone-like device... :S

I always imagine "Storm" and Woolsey and the main land together, you see... But that's wrong.

They mentioned that this episode will have realistic scripts about physic as well, so maybe we get more than a single technology bla-bla, if they invited such guest stars. I am interested what Martin wants to tell us with the weather device (global warming, cutting down the rainforrests, melting of ice caps). But I had to learn that they wants only entertain us, so maybe I shouldn't expect bigger message, because Atlantis is not a drama show. So I think there will be some special effects as everything began to cool down and freeze (Continuum feeling :) ), than McKay will save the day somehow. And because they are on Earth, he will marry Keller, who was rescued in the last minute. Than the episode will end with Reiko's screams. :cool:

Yaskaleh
August 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
They mentioned that this episode will have realistic physical scripts as well, so maybe we get more than a single technology bla-bla. if they invited such guest stars. I am interested what Martin wants to tell us with the weather device (global warming, cutting down the rainforrests, melting of ice caps). But I had to study that they wants only entertain us, so maybe I shouldn't expect bigger message, because Atlantis is not a drama show. So I think there will be some special effects as everything began to cool down and freeze (Continuum feeling :) ), than McKay will save the day somehow. And because they are on Earth, he will marry Keller, who was rescued in the last minute. Than the episode will end with Reiko's screams. :cool:

I like the sound of that :D. All of it.

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
LOVE IT! Especially the ending. :D

Yaskaleh
August 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
:indeed:

GoSpikey
August 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hehe. :D

Reiko
August 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
And because they are on Earth, he will marry Keller, who was rescued in the last minute. Than the episode will end with Reiko's screams. :cool:

» Oh, ha ha, make fun of me. Though that is quite accurate. ;)

» Need I not fill your head with images of Woolsey/Keller, or would you like to continue with the Rodney/Ronon slash I started on the 'Tracker' thread? Take a pick, any pick, Rodney, Ronon, Jenn or Dick? :P

jelgate
August 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I think Beckett/Keller has potential:P

Yaskaleh
August 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Write as much as you want. In my mind I'll just swap Woolsey with McKay and Ronon with Keller ;).

Replicator Fifth
August 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
hate slashers :mckay:. they are specially nefarious for the Trinity Blood series.

Naonak
August 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
... I think I just heard PG asploding from seeing Joe's latest blog entry.

:p

Reiko
August 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM

» *ignores jel, goes and sporks self* :P You can be sporked next! :D

» I'm personally leaning towards a slash trio of Woolsey/Ronon/Rodney today *g*

jelgate
August 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
You wouldn't be the first person to try that. I look forward to your failure

PG15
August 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
*ASPLODE LIKE WOAH*

But first, major update!

ROAD TRIIIIIP!

This morning, fellow Exec. Producer Carl Binder and I threw caution to the wind, jumped into my Q7, and hit the road. We took an impromptu journey guided only by our spontaneity, our sense of adventure, and the directions to the location of Marty G.’s Brain Storm shoot. As it turned out, however, we’d been given a map for people who already knew the way there. I say this because only someone with an intimate knowledge of the area would have known that the Route 7A on the street sign was a.k.a. the St. John’s Street referred to in the directions (“Take a left on St. John’s). Oblivious to this crucial fact, we drove right by it and into off-road territory where Carl followed the guidelines of proper bear safety procedure - and I quote “Never run from a bear! Talk to it, wave your arms, and back away slowly” - by appealing to it’s sense of reason (“Seriously, you don’t want to do this. Devour us, and you’ll just be sinking to our level. You’re better than that.”) while I made a lovely soup out of stinging nettle, birch bark, and a hapless giant centipede. We eventually doubled back, played Carl’s hunch and took a right on Route 7A, and we were right back on track.

We pulled into the parking lot, right behind Special Features Producer Ivon Bartok who was documenting Martin Gero’s foray into the dark side of directing, and followed him into the high school - down a flight of stairs, around a corner, and into the gymnasium that - through the magic of television - had been transformed into the Carl Binder Memorial Theatre. Extras milled about in tuxes and cocktail dresses while Marty G. set up his next shot. Jewel Staite looked, well, nothing short of drop-dead gorgeous in her evening best while David Hewlett exuded the roguish charm of a nerdy James Bond in his flash jacket and pants. Sitting by the monitor was former Kids in the Hall/News Radio alum Dave Foley who, for reasons unknown, had been given a way-too-early call and was good humouredly killing time until his first scene. As we were chatting, I received a call from the production offices informing me that a network employee named Averie was a HUUUUGE Dave Foley fan and would it be possible for me to get him to sign something, anything for her? Hearing this, Dave suggesting going one better. So, I phoned up Claire at SciFi who put me through to Averie’s cell. Unfortunately, I got her voice mail. “Hi, Averie,”I greeted her. “This is Joseph Mallozzi, the show-runner of Stargate Atlantis. I hear you’re a big Dave Foley fan. Well, I have Dave Foley sitting right here.”

At which point, Dave took the phone and left his own message: “Hi, Averie. This is Dave Foley. How are you? Sorry I missed you but if you have time, swing by set. I’m here all day.”

And I capped off the message with: “Doesn’t this just call you? If you leave L.A. right now, it’ll take you maybe three hours to fly, an hour to clear customs, and then another hour traveling time to get here.”

Dave Foley = Class Act.

Equally pleasant and engaging were the sovereigns of science Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye. They turned out to be a lot of fun both in front of and away from the camera, regaling the rest of the cast and crew with stories of their empirical exploits. They seemed to be as happy to be there as we were to have them.

Well, Martin appeared to have everything well in hand so, after a couple of hours of hanging around on set, we hopped back into the Q7 and returned to the studio - but only after dropping the bear off at the Burnaby sky train station because it was on the way.

Big pile o'pics!

Marty G. sitting amongst the greats (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09903.jpg)
Carl Binder the friendly ghost checks out his memorial (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09906.jpg)
The guests (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09908.jpg)
I guess the "cook-your-own-pizza-pie" thing really took off... (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09909.jpg)
Carl deals with the reality of life after death (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc099111.jpg)
Martin Gero: newbie director (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09912.jpg)
HOLY HOTNESS...oh hey, and there's David Hewlett too. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09916.jpg)
That dress is very well cut. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09918.jpg)
OMG. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09922.jpg)
OMFG. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09927.jpg)
Marty G. and Dave Foley (!!) enjoy a good ole' fashioned physics-off. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09929.jpg)
"So what came before the Big Bang anyway?" (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09931.jpg)
The lovely Alex, intern at Bridge Studios (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc099401.jpg)
HD Tech Paul Trudell at the helm (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09941.jpg)
Fox and the foxy Leah (Joe's words, not mine) (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09942.jpg)
...McKay's such a lucky ******* (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09944.jpg)
Judgement time for McKay (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09947.jpg)
Heads up Pajus, guess which one of these people is the show's physics consultant ;) (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09956.jpg)
GTFO. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09951.jpg)

All from: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/august-7-2008-road-triiiiip-and-the-weird-food-purchase-of-the-day/

Reiko
August 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
» Pajus! Oh well, he'll find his way over soon enough. ;)

Heads up Pajus, guess which one of these people is the show's physics consultant ;) (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc09956.jpg)[/url]

» Please tell me it's not Martin Gero. :S

PG15
August 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
No, it's not him or a him. ;)

Naonak
August 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
*ASPLODE LIKE WOAH*
Ah, good, you're still alive. :p

And wait, there are people who don't like Keller? I don't understand... ;)

... You know, considering Jewel's mention of the anti-Keller threads on MySpace or wherever, I feel I shouldn't be making comments like that in case she's here... http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/beckett/beckett_new026.gif

wheresmyfroggy
August 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at david in a tux!!!!

ussrelativity
August 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I was sold at BILL NYE!!!!!!!

That's two eps now.

Klenotka
August 8th, 2008, 01:31 AM
David in tuxedo - yummy, yummy, yummy! And, Rodney with Jennifer...McKeller hints? I hope so! I am definitely looking forward to this episode most from S5. This and The Shrine :)

GoSpikey
August 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I don't care about the McKay / Keller ship, but she was a bit strange, when she almost kissed Ronon in Quarantine, than she began a relationship with McKay. But I accepted it, but I think it was written badly. Ronon could have been better, because she could change Ronon into a better character. IMHO.

I hope not only Keller and McKay will appear in this episode. :o Maybe there is a B plot, what we couldn't hear. ;)

1. Almost kissing someone doesn't mean you're getting married the next week, last time I checked? Although that might explain why the divorce rate is so high...

2. Ronon left. What's she supposed to do? Sit on a chair being pretty and wait when he's getting his bum blown up?

If he didn't stay behind for her then, it meant it didn't turn into nothing... It's as simple as that.

3. It can't have been written badly, as you didn't see them grow towards each other. You just got the scene, that's all...

There's other people who've seen worse things happen to their ship in TLM, but do you hear them whine so loudly? Nope.

4. Ronon already is a good character. See him wake up Shep in Midway. He's a big fluffy bear. If you don't see that without Keller hanging around him, then you're just blind. Besides, giving Ronon more screen time by hanging a girl at his side is just plain stupid, it's like they don't know what else to do with him, then.

Now, Rodney, he's a character that needs to change, to finally grow up. Before it's too late for him. If someone doesn't distract him from his work, puts his feet on the ground, it might only be a matter of time before Trinity happens again...

... I think I just heard PG asploding from seeing Joe's latest blog entry.

:p

*ASPLODE LIKE WOAH*

But first, major update!

PG, is there something left of you to perform CPR on? I'll get Todd for it. :P

David in tuxedo - yummy, yummy, yummy! And, Rodney with Jennifer...McKeller hints? I hope so! I am definitely looking forward to this episode most from S5. This and The Shrine :)

He looks good, bummer about the chin, lol! :o

Nah, he looks good.

ussrelativity
August 8th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I think the pics with Bill Nye are the best.

I wonder if his show is available on DVD?

g.o.d
August 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
» Pajus! Oh well, he'll find his way over soon enough. ;)

» Please tell me it's not Martin Gero. :S

yeah, it's him. I don't remember what exactly he said about laws of physics. But it explains everything

McKaysLady
August 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I love Rodney Vs. Bitter enemy dude......It's like Die Hard and G.I Joe's Weather Dominator all rolled into one!!!

BOO on the Dasterdly Duo of K/M :(

I admit that I'm looking forward to this one, but not as much as I am "The Shrine." It sounds almost like Rodney gets to see the disaster of Doranda from another POV. Namely, his actions and ego put Sheppard in danger. Now, his former friend and rival puts his own ego above the safety of Keller and Rodney.

stclare
August 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
4. Ronon already is a good character. See him wake up Shep in Midway. He's a big fluffy bear. If you don't see that without Keller hanging around him, then you're just blind. Besides, giving Ronon more screen time by hanging a girl at his side is just plain stupid, it's like they don't know what else to do with him, then.

Now, Rodney, he's a character that needs to change, to finally grow up. Before it's too late for him. If someone doesn't distract him from his work, puts his feet on the ground, it might only be a matter of time before Trinity happens again...

I agree that hanging a girl of Ronon's arm is not the best way forward. to be honest im not sure what is with him? im fed up with the runner connection in "his eps" id like to see something different, im just not sure what :o

now Rodney needs to be putting his feet over here on my bed followed by the rest of him, tux not needed ;)

Rac80
August 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
1. Almost kissing someone doesn't mean you're getting married the next week, last time I checked? Although that might explain why the divorce rate is so high...

2. Ronon left. What's she supposed to do? Sit on a chair being pretty and wait when he's getting his bum blown up?

If he didn't stay behind for her then, it meant it didn't turn into nothing... It's as simple as that.

3. It can't have been written badly, as you didn't see them grow towards each other. You just got the scene, that's all...

There's other people who've seen worse things happen to their ship in TLM, but do you hear them whine so loudly? Nope.

He looks good, bummer about the chin, lol! :o

Nah, he looks good.

I will always posit that it is already too late for Mckay. he is the perfect example for "Guyland" by Michael Kimmel!
I complete agree with you on points #1 &2. if going out for a drink with a male friend makes a woman "easy", what about me... a married woman whose best friend is a guy she has known since she was 10??? and nope, he is NOT my hubby! ;)

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I agree that hanging a girl of Ronon's arm is not the best way forward. to be honest im not sure what is with him? im fed up with the runner connection in "his eps" id like to see something different, im just not sure what :o

now Rodney needs to be putting his feet over here on my bed followed by the rest of him, tux not needed ;)

I don't quite understand. If it's not a good idea to progress Ronon's character by "hanging a girl on his arm" why is it a good idea to progress Rodney's character the same way?

It seems to me that there are a lot of avenues left open for Ronon to explore as a character but Rodney McKay has been done to death. Hmmmm...perhaps that's why they're "hanging a girl on his arm"...there's nothing left for Rodney?

stclare
August 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I don't quite understand. If it's not a good idea to progress Ronon's character by "hanging a girl on his arm" why is it a good idea to progress Rodney's character the same way?

It seems to me that there are a lot of avenues left open for Ronon to explore as a character but Rodney McKay has been done to death. Hmmmm...perhaps that's why they're "hanging a girl on his arm"...there's nothing left for Rodney?

Erm i didnt mention Rodney apart from him sleeping in my bed i was discussing Ronon, and my wish to see him explored other than romanticly. i dont see what there is to not understand.

my point is I would like to see more of Ronon in a different setting in his individual eps. other than it being a runner connection. as i said im not sure what that way is, but something that doesnt mean fighting maybe explore his position in Sateda, why he joined the military, what that society was like and his family background, thats all im saying i dont see whats wrong with that?

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Erm i didnt mention Rodney apart from him sleeping in my bed i was discussing Ronon, and my wish to see him explored other than romanticly. i dont see what there is to not understand.

my point is I would like to see more of Ronon in a different setting in his individual eps. other than it being a runner connection. as i said im not sure what that way is, but something that doesnt mean fighting maybe explore his position in Sateda, why he joined the military, what that society was like and his family background, thats all im saying i dont see whats wrong with that?

Perhaps I shouldn't have generalized my question towards you. But you did make the comment about advancing Ronon by "hanging a girl on his arm" and I was only curious why this is a good thing for Rodney, but not Ronon. If you'd rather not answer I understand.

Honestly, Ronon has never been explored romantically. Rodney's been there, done that. And you said you'd like to see Ronon explored in ways other than being a runner, fighting, military, etc. Romance is certainly a far cry from his past show development.

:)

Yaskaleh
August 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
From my perspective, what Ronon need is a woman with some bite. Someone who would growl back to him.

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
From my perspective, what Ronon need is a woman with some bite. Someone who would growl back to him.

Oh, okay, so Ronon can have a woman on his arm for development, just not Keller because what, she's not wild enough for him? What is she...a timid mouse? I mean, seriously, Ronon's not a Klingon for goodness sake and he's shown a lot of compassion and consideration and sweetness over the past three seasons.

stclare
August 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't have generalized my question towards you. But you did make the comment about advancing Ronon by "hanging a girl on their arm" and I was only curious why this is a good thing for Rodney, but not Ronon. If you'd rather not answer I understand.

Honestly, Ronon has never been explored romantically. Rodney's been there, done that. And you said you'd like to see Ronon explored in ways other than being a runner, fighting, military, etc. Romance is certainly a far cry from his past show development.

:)

I guess because i got more development non romanticaly from Rodney before the romance was injected (katie Brown) we'd already seen his sister and there struggle. him fail big style (trinity) just I could go on i just feel I know rodney more through these kinds of episodes than i have with ronon at the moment.

though i like the idea of mckeller now, last year I would have been opposed to it because i was against shippyness in any form in scifi. but the writters this year have gentled me along with the mckeller (as i see it) i like the way its being done. this as i say is a huge turn about for me as i didnt like keller at all to start with or romance, so baby steps from me at the moment. one romance/friendship is enough for me to handle.

maybe next year it would be something i would like to see for Ronon. this year though id realy like to see the things i mentioned before.

I hope that gives you an idea, I am the sort of viewer whos opinion can change from ep to ep :o

Yaskaleh
August 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah. but he need someone to really take command in their relationship. Someone with an unbreakable will.

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I guess because i got more development non romanticaly from Rodney before the romance was injected (katie Brown) we'd already seen his sister and there struggle. him fail big style (trinity) just I could go on i just feel I know rodney more through these kinds of episodes than i have with ronon at the moment.

though i like the idea of mckeller now, last year I would have been opposed to it because i was against shippyness in any form in scifi. but the writters this year have gentled me along with the mckeller (as i see it) i like the way its being done. this as i say is a huge turn about for me as i didnt like keller at all to start with or romance, so baby steps from me at the moment. one romance/friendship is enough for me to handle.

maybe next year it would be something i would like to see for Ronon. this year though id realy like to see the things i mentioned before.

I hope that gives you an idea, I am the sort of viewer whos opinion can change from ep to ep :o

Thanks but no, I'm sorry, it doesn't.

I guess I don't get the "gentled" thing vibe with McKeller and instead side with those who consider it tossed into my face all at once starting with Last Man. And since those events technically didn't really happen then I can't consider that ep in the growth process either. And if I don't consider Last Man in the McKeller growth process then to my eyes McKay and Keller might have shared a beer in Season 4 and that's all. Nothing more. It seems to me that the POB are basing a romance on a situation that never occured.

Also so far in season 5 in the Seed, we've had Ronon ...willing to give his life to rescue Keller and Rodney not quite being brave enough to volunteer.

Just saying, that's the kind of guy I'd want.

As for your argument that you've seen more development for Rodney before the injection of romance, I'm sorry but I don't get that either!!!! Mckay and Katie Brown started to hook up in the middle of Season 2 so Rodney had only one and a half seasons of regular development on Atlantis before romance entered the picture. Ronon has had three years of development and still has not had any romantic encounters.

I'm sorry but I really don't get any of the shipping arguments. Your remark about developing characters using "girls on their arms" just piqued my interest.

Sorry to get off topic. I'll conclude here.

Yaskaleh
August 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
McKay was in the middle of volunteering when both Ronon and Sheppard loudly volunteered. He changed his mind then as it would be the most intelligent to let the best men do the job (fighting). He is after all a scientist. But he did try to volunteer.

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
McKay was in the middle of volunteering when both Ronon and Sheppard loudly volunteered. He changed his mind then as it would be the most intelligent to let the best men do the job (fighting). He is after all a scientist. But he did try to volunteer.

That's not what I remember ;)

stclare
August 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks but no, I'm sorry, it doesn't.

I guess I don't get the "gentled" thing vibe with McKeller and instead side with those who consider it tossed into my face all at once starting with Last Man. And since those events technically didn't really happen then I can't consider that ep in the growth process either. And if I don't consider Last Man in the McKeller growth process then to my eyes McKay and Keller might have shared a beer in Season 4 and that's all. Nothing more. It seems to me that the POB are basing a romance on a situation that never occured.

Also so far in season 5 in the Seed, we've had Ronon ...willing to give his life to rescue Keller and Rodney not quite being brave enough to volunteer.

Just saying, that's the kind of guy I'd want.

As for your argument that you've seen more development for Rodney before the injection of romance, I'm sorry but I don't get that either!!!! Mckay and Katie Brown started to hook up in the middle of Season 2 so Rodney had only one and a half seasons of regular development on Atlantis before romance entered the picture. Ronon has had three years of development and still has not had any romantic encounters.

I'm sorry but I really don't get any of the shipping arguments. Your remark about developing characters using "girls on their arms" just piqued my interest.

Sorry to get off topic. I'll conclude here.

i see even less romance between ronon and keller, but i know some see it that way, each to there own. tptb will do what they want some will be happy some wont.

ill also agree to disagree but the bolded was actualy posted before my post and i was using there comment in my comments back.

GoSpikey

Yaskaleh
August 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
That's not what I remember ;)

Rewatch The seed then ;). I've seen it 4 times. It is quite easy to notice. Though that might be because I use the same body language with my hand as McKay in such a situation.

Showfan
August 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
i see even less romance between ronon and keller, but i know some see it that way, each to there own. tptb will do what they want some will be happy some wont.

ill also agree to disagree but the bolded was actualy posted before my post and i was using there comment in my comments back.

My goof. I guess it was GoSpikey's comment that caught my interest! But since you agreed with it, and utilized it, I didn't think it was incorrect to quote you.

And your comment, tpdb will do what they want... That's the first thing you've said in our discussion that I agree with!

:sheppard::ronan::mckay::teyla:

stclare
August 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Rewatch The seed then ;). I've seen it 4 times. It is quite easy to notice. Though that might be because I use the same body language with my hand as McKay in such a situation.

Ill bet there will be loads of arm waving in Brain storm. I dont know the guest stars that have been mentioned and fawned over as im in the UK and dont remember seeing them over here. i wonder if there arm wavers to? or if they will be in this ep cant wait!

Yaskaleh
August 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Would be cool. Me, McKay and science folks of Brain storm. Arm wavers united :D.

PG15
August 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I like McKeller. :p

There is just something about two socially-inept people finding each other that I find appealing. Maybe because I identify with McKay so much? :D

I've argued for ages that Trio wasn't anything romantic, but I think I'll change my mind now, given recent evidence. There was probably something there after all.

Todd?

I think I'll pass. :p

But, if Dr. Keller's around... ;)

yeah, it's him. I don't remember what exactly he said about laws of physics. But it explains everything

Hm, very solid evidence. ;)

But no, it's the girl, Mika.

Platschu
August 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM
"Great potential".

^ Thor knew what is good in life even if he hadn't got any experience with Asgard women. ;)

Naonak
August 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I like McKeller. :p

There is just something about two socially-inept people finding each other that I find appealing. Maybe because I identify with McKay so much? :D
Your own social ineptness? :p

You know what I'm gonna do?

I'm going to watch the episodes and judge it then. Revolutionary, I know. :p

GoSpikey
August 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
:eek:

How *dare* you?

You must tear it down to shreds BEFORE you even hear the first spoiler about it!!!!

Anything else is unacceptable!

prion
August 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
BRAIN STORM pictures from Mallozzi’s blog (Aug 12th)

Keller and Rodney at the opera!?
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00037.jpg

Another shot as the two look adorakably at each other
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00038.jpg

Yaskaleh
August 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I want Brain Storm now :(.

Klenotka
August 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Do you see how they are looking at each other on the second photo? Yay! I want to see this episode now. I am glad that there isn´t any season break this year.

Cautious Explorer
August 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Is Keller the only person under 40 at these events?

Repli!kat
August 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM

She's probably the only person under 30!
Oooooooh, Rodney, you lucky dog, you! :cool:

jelgate
August 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think McKay is 40 yet:P

Dr Quinn
August 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't think McKay is 40 yet:P

David Hewlett is.:)

PG15
August 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
More pics:

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00041.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00026.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00040.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00049.jpg

Also, small update:

Marty G. is directing his last day on Brain Storm (at the airport shooting the Learjet sequences)

All from: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/12/august-12-2008-another-yawn-study-production-update-lets-talk-cordelias-honor-mailbag-and-the-weird-food-purchase-of-the-day/

Mitchell82
August 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
BRAIN STORM pictures from Mallozzi’s blog (Aug 12th)

Keller and Rodney at the opera!?
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00037.jpg

Another shot as the two look adorakably at each other
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc00038.jpg

They really are a cute couple. Rodney sure is a craddle robber but age really doesn't matter when you're in love.;)

ykickamoocow
August 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
They really are a cute couple. Rodney sure is a craddle robber but age really doesn't matter when you're in love.;)

Well to be fair its not the first time Stargate has had a couple with very different ages.

Richard Dean Anderson - Born 1950
Amanda Tapping - Born 1965
Difference - 15 years

David Hewlett - Born 1968
Jewel Staite - Born 1982
Difference - 14 years

Also on another note this is the first episode where Keller shows some cleavage :D

Mitchell82
August 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well to be fair its not the first time Stargate has had a couple with very different ages.

Difference - 15 years

Jewel Staite - Born 1982
Difference - 14 years
I know. I'm a S/J shipper.;)

Also on another note this is the first episode where Keller shows some cleavage :D
I know that too. I like cleavage.;)

PG15
August 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Cleavage is what brings the world together. I know this, as it is true.

Reiko
August 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM
» pffft, Sparky owns all other SGA ships :rolleyes:

PG15
August 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Which one's that again?

jelgate
August 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
» pffft, Sparky owns all other SGA ships :rolleyes:Kind of hard when one characters of that ship is no longer on the show:P

Reiko
August 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Kind of hard when one characters of that ship is no longer on the show:P

» Sparky is always there. So is Emmett. (Though it is a much much smaller 'ship group.)

Platschu
August 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I am surprised with the opera scene. Maybe this episode will be better than my first impression. ;)

ykickamoocow
August 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I am surprised with the opera scene. Maybe this episode will be better than my first impression. ;)

McKay and Keller dont appear to be the type of people who would enjoy Opera.

Platschu
August 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
What if Woolsey will sing something? :)

I would like to see marry them. If Teyla could become a mother, than I think it would be nice to see a real couple in the series. They never risked this step in SG-1, but they should do it in Atlantis. If the show doesn't get the next season order, than it could be a good way to finish their storyline. If they get new season, than it can change the relationship in Sheppard's team too. ;)

GoSpikey
August 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM
We sure it's an actual Opera thing they're going to see? Might be the other party they're going to attend, after all, they'd have to dress up for it. And one event in it seems to be enough, no?

Unless the entire episode is to be one giant date... :)

JasonG
August 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Difference - 15 years

Jewel Staite - Born 1982
Difference - 14 years

I think the big difference is that RDA never really showed his age and AT was nearing 32 when the show began. The age difference didn't seem so noticable so they were a good pairing.

But McKay/Hewlett with his receding hairline, IMO could pass for 45-46 easy and Jewel/Keller would be asked to show ID at a bar!

In the opera pics at JM's blog it looks like father/daughter night at the high school. And the cleavage thing just makes the entire scenario just a bit more icky.

:mckay:

CazzBlade
August 13th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Unless the entire episode is to be one giant date... :)

I doubt it and my god I hope not! But at the moment thats all we're seeing :S

I think the big difference is that RDA never really showed his age and AT was nearing 32 when the show began. The age difference didn't seem so noticable so they were a good pairing.

But McKay/Hewlett with his receding hairline, IMO could pass for 45-46 easy and Jewel/Keller would be asked to show ID at a bar!

In the opera pics at JM's blog it looks like father/daughter night at the high school. And the cleavage thing just makes the entire scenario just a bit more icky.

Somebody (I can't remember who or where) asked if Rodney was chaperoning Keller to her prom :P

ykickamoocow
August 13th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Except by season 2 RDA had grey hair. He did look quite old in later seasons aswell. You could easily tell that Carter was considerably younger than him.

Anyway it shouldnt matter as my aunt married a man who was 15 years older than her and they lived happily together for 30 years.

Showfan
August 13th, 2008, 04:42 AM

AGREED. And I like McKay. Until this season he used to be my favorite character.

I have to disagree here. McKay and Keller at the opera? I certainly hope not.

IF ONE OF THEM starts tearing up like Julia Roberts in pretty woman, I know my show is gone.

Oh, team where are you?

:sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:

CazzBlade
August 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Except by season 2 RDA had grey hair. He did look quite old in later seasons aswell. You could easily tell that Carter was considerably younger than him.

Anyway it shouldnt matter as my aunt married a man who was 15 years older than her and they lived happily together for 30 years.

I personally I don't think the age is a problem. It could be that they just don't look right together and people are attributing that to the age difference.

chensuu
August 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I disagree. Even with grey hair RDA always seemed youthful to me. Grey hair doesn't make a man old. And anyway, RDA's grey hair was actually quite hot IMO.

How about this...Keller just seems a lot younger than her years and McKay sometimes seems a lot older.

Cautious Explorer
August 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I don't have so much of a problem with the age issue if the younger of the pair is actually mature beyond his/her years. That certainly can't be said for Keller.

Keller's lack of emotional maturity coupled with her extremely youthful appearance (they can show all the cleavage they want but with that baby face she still looks too young) I'm finding it disturbing.

I think it's bringing down Rodney's character. Makes it look like he needs a young girl to get him through his mid-life crisis.

chensuu
August 13th, 2008, 04:59 AM
AGREED. And I like McKay. Until this season he used to be my favorite character.

IF ONE OF THEM starts tearing up like Julia Roberts in pretty woman, I know my show is gone.

Oh, team where are you?

OMG, please no! :eek:

:lol: Seriously though. Please no.

Aurora1101
August 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I disagree. Even with grey hair RDA always seemed youthful to me. Grey hair doesn't make a man old. And anyway, RDA's grey hair was actually quite hot IMO.

How about this...Keller just seems a lot younger than her years and McKay sometimes seems a lot older.

I agree, Chensuu. I think, if anything, the gray hair made RDA more distinguished, and like you said, hot :jack:

Showfan
August 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I don't have so much of a problem with the age issue if the younger of the pair is actually mature beyond his/her years. That certainly can't be said for Keller.

Keller's lack of emotional maturity coupled with her extremely youthful appearance (they can show all the cleavage they want but with that baby face she still looks too young) I'm finding it disturbing.

I think it's bringing down Rodney's character. Makes it look like he needs a young girl to get him through his mid-life crisis.

Agreed. This is not the McKay I want to see. I could care a less about canon romance between the characters and I think you've hit the nail on the head with this mid-life crisis thing.

Oh, team where are you?

BARF. They wouldn't do that? Would they???????

ykickamoocow
August 13th, 2008, 05:05 AM
People forget that jewel Staite likes the potential relationship between Keller and Mckay. If the actress who plays Keller thinks that McKay is a good match for Keller then that should end all age discussions about the potential couple.

bluealien
August 13th, 2008, 05:05 AM

This episode gets more unappealing by the minute. They look like father and daughter. I see no romantic spark at all between them and watching 2 socially inept people intereact is the least appealing thing I can think of.

This romance has just been shoved upon us and I can't believe that we have to edure it for the most part of the second half of the season. The tpb go from one extreme to the other.. I have never really been bothered by any pairing before because they were always handled very subtley but this is overkill IMO...
I really need to stop looking at spoilers because they are totally spoiling my squee for the show.

chensuu
August 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM
People forget that jewel Staite likes the potential relationship between Keller and Mckay. If the actress who plays Keller thinks that McKay is a good match for Keller then that should end all age discussions about the potential couple.

Why?

This episode gets more unappealing by the minute. They look like father and daughter. I see no romantic spark at all between them and watching 2 socially inept people intereact is the least appealing thing I can think of.

This romance has just been shoved upon us and I can't believe that we have to edure it for the most part of the second half of the season. The tpb go from one extreme to the other.. I have never really been bothered by any pairing before because they were always handled very subtley but this is overkill IMO...
I really need to stop looking at spoilers because they are totally spoiling my squee for the show.

I agree with everything you said, specifically the bolded. Overkill is a perfect word.

ykickamoocow
August 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Why?

If Jewel doesnt have a problem with the age difference then why should anyone on this board?

Showfan
August 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM

I second that...WHY???? I dont' get your reasoning here.

Agreed completely!!!! I have no desire to see a forty year old man, who, yes LOOKS OLDER, romancing a twenty something woman who looks and acts MUCH YOUNGER. How can they expect this show to be taken seriously? And if the spoilers are to be judged, the Romance of Keller has invaded the entire season in little bits and pieces.

I still think bringing Teyla to Earth would have been a nice idea. But then they'd have to write a good storyline for her.

:sheppard::ronan::teyla::mckay:

chensuu
August 13th, 2008, 05:26 AM
If Jewel doesnt have a problem with the age difference then why should anyone on this board?

That's just such a non-answer I don't know how to respond.

If Jewel didn't have a problem with eating meat, should I not be a vegetarian?

Come on.

ykickamoocow
August 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I second that...WHY???? I dont' get your reasoning here.

Jewel Staite is the one who will be acting out the romance. If she doesnt have a problem with it then why should anyone else.

I still think bringing Teyla to Earth would have been a nice idea. But then they'd have to write a good storyline for her.

Teyla would be useless at a cocktail party as she doesnt understand earth customs enough to appear normal.