Why the urgent need for ZMP's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the urgent need for ZMP's?

I mean with the Asgard tech you could virtually create one.
    Originally posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

We have no need for these zmps you speak of lol. A ZPM however we need those and no we cant just create them with asgard tech, dont you think the asgard would have done that or somthing similar to it already?

Comment

Maybe the Asgard don't need ZMP's (or, ZPM's).

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
        I mean with the Asgard tech you could virtually create one.
        Honestly, would you really continue to watch the show if they could just magic any technology they wanted from the Asgard Synthesizer/Converter, cos that would make the show awfully boring.

Chuck: We've detected one hundred Hive ships approaching, they'l be here in about 2 weeks.

Woolsey: Not to worry, we'll just get the SGC to synthesize some ZPMs, send them over via the gate, and we'll send our ZPM-enhanced 304s to pwn their asses.

Two days later...

Caldwell: We destroyed all the Hives without even breaking a sweat. And while we were at it we took care of those remaining Replicators, and in a week we'll have cured hunger in the galaxy.

Woolsey: Very good. We've just deployed the ZPM powered, Asgard beam equipped defense satellites in orbit, so we'll never have to worry about anyone attacking Atlantis ever again.

Woolsey (looking at watch): Well isn't that handy, we brought peace to the galaxy just in time for dinner. I hear its Lemon Chicken tonight.

THE END (of the series as this is the point at which it gets cancelled)

Comment

Law of Conservation of Energy

Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

We cannot make zpms. We can probably make the shells for them but not a fully charged one.
          Visit my Website

Comment

Listen to him ^^

And I think your the billionth person who has come up with an idea like this.....though ZMPs are an interesting idea
            Perhaps Puff

Comment

The only things we see the Asgard converter make are small items with comparatively small power sources (power sources that are probably based on some sort of chemical/physical reaction, like naquadah). A ZPM has just ungodly amounts of power stored in it in the form of a "miniature universe," so there's no way the Asgard core could synthesize one without actually having an equal amount of power on hand, and if that's the case, why even bother?

Plus, as has been said, synthesizing ZPMs en masse would just wreck any possibility of drama for the entire show.

Comment

Well, we can make one but it is just a pretty, decorated stained-glass shell, which if you tried to plug it in, would asplode infront of your face.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
                Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
                The Chevron Team
                Spoiler:
                Never make everything Organic!
                Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
                :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
                :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
                :The drones are heading towards us.
                :Those drones look familiar...
                : SQUID?!?
                We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by PotluckoftheGods View Post
                  The only things we see the Asgard converter make are small items with comparatively small power sources (power sources that are probably based on some sort of chemical/physical reaction, like naquadah). A ZPM has just ungodly amounts of power stored in it in the form of a "miniature universe," so there's no way the Asgard core could synthesize one without actually having an equal amount of power on hand, and if that's the case, why even bother?

Plus, as has been said, synthesizing ZPMs en masse would just wreck any possibility of drama for the entire show.
                  when have we "seen" the asgard converter make small power sources?
                  Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by PotluckoftheGods View Post

I think the converter only convertes one substance to another. It doesnt make something new out of thin air. For a ZPM you'd insane amounts of power, because beaming up a ZPM would require an equal amount of power.

The beaming tech basically works by scrambling with the atoms of the object so it comes out diffently (I think)
                    Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
                      I think the converter only convertes one substance to another. It doesnt make something new out of thin air. For a ZPM you'd insane amounts of power, because beaming up a ZPM would require an equal amount of power.

The beaming tech basically works by scrambling with the atoms of the object so it comes out diffently (I think)
                      Wrong. I point you to the Siege part 3, where daedalus beams down a ZPM.
                      A ZPM, draws it's energy directly from the zero energy field of an artifical region of subspace. When beaming it down, the area of subspace doesn't move with the ZPM, it's subspace. However the ZPM remains anchored to that region by (insert technobabble), but because it's subspace it can be accessed anywhere.

I think that's the jist of it...orection would be goof if i'm wrong.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
                        I think the converter only convertes one substance to another. It doesnt make something new out of thin air.
                        Ark of Truth, when they make a replicator?
                        "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

out of materials onboard, say all the waste of 100+ crew? they have more than enough resources, and btw the asgard probably thought of storing some extra resources in the core.

zmp. zero moint podule?

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                            when have we "seen" the asgard converter make small power sources?
                            When oneill made the first replicator disruptor.
                            That thing had to be powered by something

Comment

But if your saying to create a power source with the Asgard Core you need the power, just fly it near a black hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X