PDA

View Full Version : woolsey die??

nova
April 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
who thinks woolsey should die at the end of s5?

i know its mean (and maybe his name is spelled wrong) but i dont like him, and when i heard hes gonna lead atlantis, it makes me think theres gonna be more trouble than s1 ep1/2 of atlantis.

now, they've killed wier and the doc, so it should'nt be 2 hard 2 kill woolsey.

but make it a good death, like he sacrifices himself for the team, that wood be good, id enjoy it

rarocks24
April 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
At the end of the season, the ECH...err, I mean Woolsey, will be gone. The surprise leader of Atlantis will be Lorne. ;)

nova
April 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
in the future, he will, cos last ep shows him general, so we know he aint diein, but not s6 leader, id prefer see shepp be4 him

Reiko
April 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
.: I doubt they (TPTB) would, but it would be nice to have him sacrifice/redeem himself at the end of the day.

.: besides, we must focus all our energy on killing the CMO

Kritter
April 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
in the future, he will, cos last ep shows him general, so we know he aint diein, but not s6 leader, id prefer see shepp be4 him

You will probably get a much better response to your posts if you don't use the "text-speak" so heavily. :mckay:

nova
April 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
im sorry, and its just easier for myself, im sorry if the older members dont understand me much, but its not rocket science

crowmagnumman
April 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Woolsey die? No way! I want him on there just because he's the doctor from Star Trek Voyager. Picardo is way cool. His character isn't amazing, but they could always improve his character. Just give him a chance first and we'll see how he does. Killing characters means the actor just has to find another job. If I want a show where anybody could die I watch Lost or BSG. Stargate and Star Trek are like escapist entertainment. Killing people off makes it less escapist and too serious. There are enough overly serious shows on tv that kill people off for shock value.

Jeff O'Connor
April 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Just give him a chance first, folks.

EdenSG
April 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I think Woolsey may bring an interesting dynamic to the show.

For me it is impossible to say now if I would want to see him gone after season 5 until I actually watch the show and see how he works out. I may love him or I may hate (and I suspect that during season 5 there will be times I will hate him and times I will love him). But then again, even if I decide I don't really like how the character is working it would not mean I want to see him die or gone. Actually I think the position of leader of Atlantis is a role that needs some consistency in a possible future season 6.

Mitchell82
April 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM

i know its mean (and maybe his name is spelled wrong) but i dont like him, and when i heard hes gonna lead atlantis, it makes me think theres gonna be more trouble than s1 ep1/2 of atlantis.

but make it a good death, like he sacrifices himself for the team, that wood be good, id enjoy it
Uh the Doc isn't dead he is still alive (sorta). Anyway I disagree. He redeemed himself starting in season 9 for me and the first time he was on Atlantis.

Stargate121x
April 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of woolsey either but i dont think i want him 2 die tho. I'm kinda getting sick of a new leader everytime now, so if he ends up being good 4 the role and everything works out 4 him, then they should keep him.

Personally i think colonel caldwell should've been the leader but o well...

Mitchell82
April 30th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of woolsey either but i dont think i want him 2 die tho. I'm kinda getting sick of a new leader everytime now, so if he ends up being good 4 the role and everything works out 4 him, then they should keep him.
I wasn't too fond of the choice though I am willing to give him a shot as I think it will add a lot of conflict.

Personally i think colonel caldwell should've been the leader but o well...
Nah he's not the right type IMO.

Reiko
April 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Killing characters means the actor just has to find another job.

.: Nice to know another person (that's not an Anti) agrees with me on that part.

Killing people off makes it less escapist and too serious. There are enough overly serious shows on tv that kill people off for shock value.

.: *cough* SGA has become of them.

elwood
April 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
im sorry, and its just easier for myself, im sorry if the older members dont understand me much, but its not rocket science

Sorry for going off topic...

It is not simply a matter of age. It is about the ability to communicate clearly and properly with people of all ages, ethnicities, socioeconomic status, etc., from countries both near and far, and some of those people are not native speakers of the English language.

Stormtrooper
April 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Woolsey die? Sure. I shall celebrate the day that annoying little man kick the bucket..

Reiko
April 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
.: Wait - the uniform is enough of a reason for him to meet his end :P

crowmagnumman
April 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
.: *cough* SGA has become of them.

Maybe, but it still doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as BSG or LOST or 24. I mean there's still a lot of humor in it that is lacking in most other genre shows now. And they are reluctant to kill off characters which keeps it light-hearted. I'm glad there are edgy and serious shows out there that are willing to take things to the limit, but Stargate has never been one of them. They cover some serious issues, but mostly they are about the level of Star Trek in seriousness. For sci-fi, I think that balance of humor and serious stuff is pretty much perfect.

kali1
April 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM

:indeed: That uniform is just too horrible for words.... http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0194.gif

Arrakis2013
April 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I like the idea of him in charge. Atlantis is the International Oversight Agency's baby. The expedition was borne out of member nations, knowing about the Anubis battle, sending their best and brightest on the mission to Atlantis in the first place. The organization was created for this purpose and he's the face of th IOA. I loved the Weir character but she was a diplomat and personally I don't think there's ever been much use for her as a diplomat with the Wraith as the enemies they have been made to be. The Replicators were more easy to negotiate with but TPTB didn't utilize this and chose the easy way out by making them another enemy. With the Pegasus Replicator threat also finished (more or less) the Weir, as a diplomat, and Carter, as a military officer, characters had to go. Carter was brought in because she knew how to deal with Replicators. And now, Woolsey. At the end of the day he's a straight shooter. He'll do what he thinks to be the right thing as we've seen time and time again. Should he die? No. Long live him.

Lord batchi ball
April 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM
:indeed: That uniform is just too horrible for words.... http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0194.gif

When I first seen that uniform I thought he was joking around. But I guess thats the one he's going to wear. Seriously I think its a womans.

But on the idea that he should die, its a little early for that. First lets see how the season goes.

Reiko
April 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
And they are reluctant to kill off characters which keeps it light-hearted.

.: They seemed to take no hesitation when it came to knocking out Paul and Torri though. :mckay:

When I first seen that uniform I thought he was joking around. But I guess thats the one he's going to wear. Seriously I think its a womans.

.: I think it's Sam's :D He also wore Weir's in S3...

kymeric
April 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry for going off topic...

It is not simply a matter of age. It is about the ability to communicate clearly and properly with people of all ages, ethnicities, socioeconomic status, etc., from countries both near and far, and some of those people are not native speakers of the English language.

<<<is 30 and understandz leet speek, youre just not trying.

SpaceCowboy
April 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Okay....bear with me, this is good.

Woolsey is fatally wounded in a grand and heroic manner that not only saves Atlantis but quite possibly both the PG and the MWG as well. Coincidentally, this act of heroism comes right after the discovery by McKay and Zelenka of an interesting Ancient device in a dark and secluded lab in uptown Atlantis. The purpose of the machine is to preserve the memories, nay the very consciousness, of a human being.

Using his amazing intelligence and guided by his overwhelming ego, McKay not only manages to archive Woolsey in the device, but manages to modify it so that it is possible to project a holographic image of Woolsey. For all intents and purposes, it is Woolsey, who at first won't accept the fact that he is dead. For the sake of clarity, McKay also programs the holographic image to always appear with a large "H" emblazened upon Woolsey's forehead. The only problem seems to be a strange computer glitch that causes Woolsey to constantly mistake Teyla for someone named Kochanski and occasionally to refer to himself as Ace.

http://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/rd/images/rd08.jpg

Okay.....maybe it's been done. Never mind. ;)

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM
I vote no. One of the complaints I've seen about Atlantis is that it seems to lack some stability in its cast- someone always seems to be dying (or just going away, never to be seen or referenced again), and given that the leadership role in particular is now on its third iteration it might not be a bad idea to keep this one around for a while. Do I like Woolsey? No, not particularly, but that doesn't mean I want him dead/gone.

Heroic deaths are all well and good, but I think it'd be kinda pointless and you can only have so many "heroic deaths" before the shine starts to wear off the concept. And, just to keep my bases covered, I don't think a pointless and humiliating death would be useful, either. :rolleyes:

Besides, even if Woolsey DID die, TPTB would probably just bring him back again. They seem to love doing that and, as has been pointed out numerous times, no one ever really dies in scifi. :rolleyes: We already had a clone and a replicator, so maybe we'd get some bad-ass AU version of Woolsey as a replacement. Complete with scars and a pirate patch. Saves on character development, reinforces how bad things could be and it gives folks multiple reasons to complain: not only have they brought YET ANOTHER character back from the dead via an overly contrived manner, but they've brought him back as a budget version of Saul Tigh. :D Hm. I kinda like that, actually. Just for the sheer spitefulness of it. ;)

Ferret
May 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM

That was just 1 possible future. Anything is possible.

nova
May 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
well hopefully they will take sg1's idea from o'neil, and make get atlantis leader, in like atlantis S8 or so

would be good to see how he copes sending his teams on missions, while he has to stay and run things

Reiko
May 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
.: I don't like Wooley Boy as leader but I don't want him to die. (The uniform may kill me first.)

.: If anyone should ide, it shall be Keller-smeller and Gero should do it. Retribution for killing Carson.

crowmagnumman
May 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
.: They seemed to take no hesitation when it came to knocking out Paul and Torri though. :mckay:

True, but they brought him back after realizing their mistake. For Torri, they sure did kick her off the show, but her character could still be alive. In Stargate they usually try not to kill favorite characters off for good.

marty2006
May 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
No. Dont be silly.

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM
well hopefully they will take sg1's idea from o'neil, and make get atlantis leader, in like atlantis S8 or so

would be good to see how he copes sending his teams on missions, while he has to stay and run things
I'm trying to translate this into proper English (spelling and punctuation aren't exactly rocket science either, kiddo). Are you saying you think O'Neill should take command? Because I think that's an un-freaking-believably horrible idea. For one thing it'd continue the subjugation of Atlantis into a platform for SG-1 characters and for another I think it'd be a step down for him, wouldn't it? Isn't he the Grand High Poobah for all of Homeworld Defence or whatever? Fortunately the chances of it happening are pretty much nil as RDA is retired (or semi so) and isn't looking to play a lead on TV again.

If you meant Shep should be lead (since he's the Atlantis equivalent of O'Neill), I still hate it. Even barring the fact that it'd be YET ANOTHER change in leadership (and I don't care if it's a few years down the road), I'm not particularly fond of Sheppard or the way he's been written and while I can, unfortunately, see it as a possibility, I think it'd be a bad one. Of course, you could also say that he basically runs Atlantis already, since he does whatever he wants and everyone caves to his demands. In that respect it might work, but I also think Shep is far more spoiled and arrogant that O'Neill and thus isn't likely to sit back and not go on missions and since there'd be no one around to stop him... *shrug* I think it'd be all kinds of bad. I don't think Shep has what it takes and quite frankly I don't think the writers have it, either.

Mitchell82
May 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Maybe, but it still doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as BSG or LOST or 24. I mean there's still a lot of humor in it that is lacking in most other genre shows now. And they are reluctant to kill off characters which keeps it light-hearted. I'm glad there are edgy and serious shows out there that are willing to take things to the limit, but Stargate has never been one of them. They cover some serious issues, but mostly they are about the level of Star Trek in seriousness. For sci-fi, I think that balance of humor and serious stuff is pretty much perfect.
Agreed. Stargate has just the right balance IMHO.

Reiko
May 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
True, but they brought him back after realizing their mistake. For Torri, they sure did kick her off the show, but her character could still be alive. In Stargate they usually try not to kill favorite characters off for good.

.: They need to realize ALL their mistakes and should have bringed them back for good. And why kick off two of the most loved chaarcters in the first place?

.: I mean, there would be no short of complainers if they were brought back fulltime, but what if *gasp* they also spiffed up the stories and did the returns well? (Theoretically; I don't have that much faith in PTB and are not the goody-goody optimists you guys are.)

jelgate
May 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"].: They need to realize ALL their mistakes and should have bringed them back for good. And why kick off two of the most loved chaarcters in the first place?
To you maybe but their are people who were glad when they disappeared or couldn't care less.

Constanza
May 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I’m going to wait and see how this character develops in the show, before deciding if I want him dead or not…

Jackie
May 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think woosley should die in the very first ep and have his consciousness downloaded into the Ancient computer that runs the city.

The whole season has RP voice and an occasional hologram as he manipulates the city to make Sheppard and Rodney do as he says. Only to be "turned off" every single episode.

Woosely as the city's computer...LOL.

flameling
May 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Agreed, it is to much of a startrek ripoff for me. The IOA must be insane to put him in charge of anything, including an inanimate object(not Atlantis-this is fictitious) as he would probably scare it away in that costume after a few seconds.

Mitchell82
May 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think woosley should die in the very first ep and have his consciousness downloaded into the Ancient computer that runs the city.

The whole season has RP voice and an occasional hologram as he manipulates the city to make Sheppard and Rodney do as he says. Only to be "turned off" every single episode.

That is a very bad idea though I have to say
"Please state the nature of the medical emergency" would be hilarious.

Rickington
May 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM

:lol: I would love to hear Woolsey say that!

Constanza
May 5th, 2008, 07:10 AM

He would be more like a virus…

Mitchell82
May 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
:lol: I would love to hear Woolsey say that!

:indeed: It'd be hilarious.

kali1
May 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM

yes it would! :D

Torri012
May 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
havent read any posts in here yet but i like the topic :P

to the main question: i would LOVE to see him die!! ;)
little annoying hobbit...

nova
May 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM

here here

Torri012
May 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
here here

:D :D

DrJenniferDex
July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I know I'm likely to get flamed for this, but can we please keep the conversation to Woolsey, and keep the hate for other characters in the proper threads?

Sp!der
July 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
like the guy since season 7....
i don't know what u have against him, surely he is not a leader guy (says that for him self) but let the man do his job for one season.... the creators will know if they let woolsey die or not. don't be to judging.

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
I know I'm likely to get flamed for this, but can we please keep the conversation to Woolsey, and keep the hate for other characters in the proper threads?

Not from me you hit the nail on the head.

DrJenniferDex
July 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thank you, Mitchell, it's nice to know someone agrees with me. I know that a few of my friends here on the forum, and myself, tend to avoid the other threads besides the ones where there's a small group of us, since the people who hate a certain character that we all like tend to be very strong-willed about it, and it makes the threads feel rather tense and unfriendly.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM

Sad. I think he's a pretty good character. There is some room for development. Mainly, I hope tptb can utilize him properly (they failed with Weir and carter).

Jumper_One
July 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Sad. I think he's a pretty good character. There is some room for development. Mainly, I hope tptb can utilize him properly

I'm sure they can

(they failed with Weir and carter).

no they didn't

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM

At the end of the season, the ECH...err, I mean Woolsey, will be gone. The surprise leader of Atlantis will be Lorne. ;)

I like him, but I don't like him as a leader. But if he dies, than maybe the real, true leader will return. This woman-

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Challenge_items/Random/atlantislove2redo.jpg

Rocky89
July 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm sure they can

no they didn't

I agree, Carter did not fail!

Pic
July 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
The thing about Weasley **ahem*cough** I mean Woolsey, is that if you like all the characters and all the characters like each other --- where's the tension?

I think the introduction of Woolsey is going to be a groaner for the other characters (I can't wait to see Sheppard's reaction) and they're going to have to deal with it. Or a real-life lesson: "How to deal with a boss you might not like"

Look at it as an opportunity for character development, not just for Woolsey but for the regulars as well. All I ever hear about it people moaning about the lack of character development for this one of that one - well, maybe TPTB are doing something about it.

Of course, if you hate it so much, you could stop watching the show. If they change the leader of Atlantis again after Woolsey, I would think the end is near anyway.

DrJenniferDex
July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
-pictures Sheppard's reaction and nearly falls over laughing-

Mitchell82
July 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Thank you, Mitchell, it's nice to know someone agrees with me. I know that a few of my friends here on the forum, and myself, tend to avoid the other threads besides the ones where there's a small group of us, since the people who hate a certain character that we all like tend to be very strong-willed about it, and it makes the threads feel rather tense and unfriendly.

No prob. I've never understood why things get so out of hand.

DrJenniferDex
July 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Me neither. I mean, I hate Kavanagh, but not as much as they seem to hate my favourite character, and I don't go around calling him foolish names that remind me of being in grade school, or thinking of ways for him to die.

Mitchell82
July 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Me neither. I mean, I hate Kavanagh, but not as much as they seem to hate my favourite character, and I don't go around calling him foolish names that remind me of being in grade school, or thinking of ways for him to die.

Well I'll confess that I've suggested shoving Kav out of an Airlock, and usual Im just having fun but I have never, ever threatend an actor which several have done.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I like him, but I don't like him as a leader. But if he dies, than maybe the real, true leader will return. This woman-

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/Challenge_items/Random/atlantislove2redo.jpg

Let's not get into that here. We all know that her place is on SG-1!

The Prophet
July 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
It depends really on if:

- You hate the character because you're meant to hate the character.

or

- You hate the character for other justifiable reasons.

Woolsey, from the start, is that you were meant to dislike him- he was the sensible authority that was disciplining all the fun SG-1 and Atlantis was having; even if it was necessary. But, he has slowly progressed from the Wimpy Guy who's trying to Control Everything and get in the way; to a brief glimpse of actual morals and knowledge of how things work- allowing further character development.

Much like how McKay was seen as an arrogant jerk who we were meant to dislike, of sorts, who's progressed to become an arrogant jerk who we're meant to like, of sorts.

Hopefully, being leader of Atlantis, we will be allowed to see how he truly functions and acts when he's given actual power; with people to direct and order; but having to keep on the good side, and sometimes have to break the rules he's so found of.

It'll take Atlantis in a new direction, hopefully- and really, the show is all about experimentation. Apart from the times it stick to SG-1's tried-and-tested plots. They're a little inbetween...

DrJenniferDex
July 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I REALLY don't get that. -shakes head-

Off-topic, Ltcol, can I ask you something? Who's the guy in the center of the first pic in your siggy? Looks like Channing Tatum to me, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I REALLY don't get that. -shakes head-

Off-topic, Ltcol, can I ask you something? Who's the guy in the center of the first pic in your siggy? Looks like Channing Tatum to me, but I've been known to be wrong before.

You are correct. It's from the upcoming GIJOE movie.

DrJenniferDex
July 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I thought so! -thinks he's gorgeous-

Rocky89
July 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
The thing about Weasley **ahem*cough** I mean Woolsey, is that if you like all the characters and all the characters like each other --- where's the tension?

I think the introduction of Woolsey is going to be a groaner for the other characters (I can't wait to see Sheppard's reaction) and they're going to have to deal with it. Or a real-life lesson: "How to deal with a boss you might not like"

Look at it as an opportunity for character development, not just for Woolsey but for the regulars as well. All I ever hear about it people moaning about the lack of character development for this one of that one - well, maybe TPTB are doing something about it.

Of course, if you hate it so much, you could stop watching the show. If they change the leader of Atlantis again after Woolsey, I would think the end is near anyway.

Good post :). You know, I realized something, Carter, Weir and every other Stargate character/couple all have anti-threads, now that Woolsey is joining the cast, he'll most likely have one too. I wonder how that'll turn out.

Pic
July 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Good post :). You know, I realized something, Carter, Weir and every other Stargate character/couple all have anti-threads, now that Woolsey is joining the cast, he'll most likely have one too. I wonder how that'll turn out.

I'm pretty shocked he doesn't have one already. As you've pointed out, there's a whole lot of anti-stuff out there...