This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honor Harrington Series

hey all i just wanted to start a thread about the Honor Harrington series. This is a great series and i hope there are some others on here that have read them. Im on Echos of Honor, the 8th book, myself. does ayone know if War of Honor book ten is the last one ore does David Weber have others comming. and how do the Worlds of Honor books fit into the series?

Originally posted by spg_1983
    hey all i just wanted to start a thread about the Honor Harrington series. This is a great series and i hope there are some others on here that have read them. Im on Echos of Honor, the 8th book, myself. does ayone know if War of Honor book ten is the last one ore does David Weber have others comming. and how do the Worlds of Honor books fit into the series?
    I believe Weber has a new one out that is in the Honor universe, but I'm not sure if it's specifically about Honor. War of Honor is the last one I've read. I've read a couple of the Worlds of Honor books (of short stories). They have some Honor stories & some that are about other people (or treecats) in the Honor universe. Some are written by Weber and some by others.

Comment

The newest book in the Honorverse is hitting shelves as we speak; it's called "Shadow of Saganami," and Honor only has a cameo in it. The Honorverse is expanding; I would definitely recommend reading the worlds of Honor anthologies as they tell stories about things in the Honorverse we wouldn't see from Honor's perspective, and those can affect later developments. Also, Crown of Slaves is a novel that doesn't have Honor in it, but changes the overall political system, which obviously affects Honor, though exactly how it does has not been made clear yet. It's co-written with Eric Flint, another great SF author. Shadow of Saganami, the new book, also should change the political equation greatly, so if you don't read them you may miss stuff when the next Honor book comes out.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
        The newest book in the Honorverse is hitting shelves as we speak; it's called "Shadow of Saganami," and Honor only has a cameo in it. The Honorverse is expanding; I would definitely recommend reading the worlds of Honor anthologies as they tell stories about things in the Honorverse we wouldn't see from Honor's perspective, and those can affect later developments. Also, Crown of Slaves is a novel that doesn't have Honor in it, but changes the overall political system, which obviously affects Honor, though exactly how it does has not been made clear yet. It's co-written with Eric Flint, another great SF author. Shadow of Saganami, the new book, also should change the political equation greatly, so if you don't read them you may miss stuff when the next Honor book comes out.
        so there are definately gonna be more honor books?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          so there are definately gonna be more honor books?
          Yeah. You may have noticed that a few years ago there was a sharp drop in the frequency of Weber books being published; that's not the result of a lack of ideas or disinclination or problems with the publisher, that's a case of Real Life catching up with him.

First. He broke his wrist, smashed it up but good. Can't type for extended periods of time like he used to. He now dictates his books using a voice system called Dragon Naturally Speaking, but he can't talk as fast as he could type, and it takes longer to edit the finished product. And he'll almost certainly never be able to go back to typing like he used to.

Second. His wife has severe health problems. They thought she couldn't have kids, so they decided to adopt. Twin girls. From Cambodia. Unfortunately, the INS decided to be absolute *******s and decided to f*** with Cambodian adoptions. Straightening the system out required almost two years and the intervention of at least one senator and a congressman. Anyway, it turns out they were wrong, and his wife could indeed have a child, so when David went over to Cambodia with his brother and sister-in-law to pick up his twin girls, who were about two years old at the time (this was almost a year ago, now), his wife was staying at home recovering from the delivery of their son. So on top of his broken wrist, David now has three children under the age of three.

But as far as I know, David has the story arc planned for the Honorverse for the forseeable future. It's just getting the time to _write_ it, along with all the other projects he's got going. Check out his other stuff, if you need something to read. He's got a fantasy series with three books so far that's just great; the first book is called _Oath of Swords_. His other major project at the moment is a series he's co-writing with John Ringo; the first book is called _March Upcountry_. It'll all get finished, in time.

Oh, and if you want to keep current on DW's schedule, check out www.baen.com/main. I believe all his books are published by Baen Books, and Baen is one of the few publishers out there that has a good, useable, regularly updated website. They also have an electronic free library, if you would like to check out a few older books by an author before buying them; all their titles are available as e-books with no encryption for a few dollars apiece (and you can even buy them as e-books before the dead-tree version comes out; they're called "webscriptions"); and they have a wonderful message board, which most of their authors use regularly (it's called "Baen's Bar"). All the links are on the main page. David used to frequent the Bar, before he broke his wrist; he still does, occasionally.

Oh, and one of the perqs of the Bar is that sometimes authors will post snippets of their work before it goes to the publishers. Never more than half the book, but it can be fun anyway. Those are collected by a bar member at jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com
          My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Comment

I like Weber's books at lot. The HH books are very good. The last one was a little slow but it was a transition book and they usually drag.
            If you like Weber's book check out his other stuff. The Behzel books are good. The Starfire books are great. And check out the Dahak books too.

Comment

awesome thanks i didnt know anything about any of that. like i said before im still on echos of honor so is til have ashes of victory and war of honor to go, and im definately going to check out the other novels too

i really like webers interpretation of the future of space travel, its advanced and all but still very limited at the same time. he didnt just make things really easy for the characters in his universe, he masde them very real. i especially like the way he took the idea of a monarchy like old english empire and showed how it could be a star empire

a couple quick questions though:
              first off where is earth in relation to manticore? i think it said that earth is part of the Solarian League but im not sure.

actually thats the only question i can remember right now but i know there are others il post later

one last thoguht though: i want a treecat! i think that treecats are the coolest thing about the honorverse. Nimitz is awesome!

Comment

Earth in relation to Manticore: a long ways off. Several months away through hyperspace, Earth is only a few weeks away if one uses Manticore's wormhole to get to Beowulf and then go from there. Earth is the capitol of the Solarian League, as one might guess from the title. ("Sol" is the standard SF name for Earth's sun when "the sun" isn't specific enough.) The heart of the known, civilized universe (at least geographically, and certainly in their eyes), the Solarian League is a bloated collection of core systems, allies, and "protectorates," all controlled by bureaucrats, with a degree of injustice, opression, mismanagement, arrogance, and sheer disjointedness that is absolutely incredible. The only way it has survived so far is that it is big enough that nobody's ever dared challenge them in a major way. But from what David Webber has said (and this is mostly speculation, mind, but it's solid speculation)
                Spoiler:
                the Solarian League is about to come apart at the seams. At least part of it will end up in a war against Manticore and some combination of its allies, and possibly against the Peeps as well. With old ships that are mostly getting taken out of mothballs for the fight and a Navy that hasn't had any combat above the ship-to-ship level that's necessary for suppressing piracy, with officers who are almost all political hacks, don't expect them to fight as well as the Peeps did in the first stages of the war.
                Shadow of Saganami is supposed to set this up, to a great degree.

Earth itself mainly has two classes of people: the rich beaurocrats, who live in glittering towers, and the poor downtrodden masses who live crammed into substandard housing with a standard of living no Manticoran would accept, and prey upon each other with no hope of getting out of the projects.
                My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

wow you really know your stuff! lol thanks alot!
                  i think one of the best things about the honorverse is that Weber has kept the tech pretty realistic (for a series about space war fare, thousands of years in the future, lol) they dont have like warp drives or hyperengines, they use the impellers and sails, which is actually very limiting. i know part of this is because it lets Weber create their space navies very much like they were on old sailing ships, but it makes for very interesting reading, and as far as ive read (and i have read a considerable amount of science fiction) his universe is singularly unique in this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                    Yeah. You may have noticed that a few years ago there was a sharp drop in the frequency of Weber books being published; that's not the result of a lack of ideas or disinclination or problems with the publisher, that's a case of Real Life catching up with him.....
                    Thanks for all this info. Has anyone mentioned Path of the Fury? In enjoyed that one too. Is it a stand-alone book?

Comment

Path of Fury is a stand alone book. Along with Apocolypes Troll. Both are O.K. books and if you like Weber's stuff you will like them too.

Comment

Working...
                      X