PDA

View Full Version : "Remnants" (515) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PG15
April 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Writer: Joe Mallozzi
Director: Will Waring

---

Ok, enough stuff has been said about this episode that I think it warrents its own thread now. Here's what we know so far:

Looking way ahead, I’ve talked myself into the #16 spot with “a very special Stargate Atlantis” (apologies to James Stewart),

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/march-4-2008-lowlifes-scripts-and-those-infernal-colored-pages/

At this point, the schedule looks something like this: [...] my “a very special Stargate Atlantis” which quite possibly may see the return of the lovely Kari Wuhrer,

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/29/april-29-2008-on-the-set-of-whispers/

Ok, so there isn't THAT much info. Meh.

Oh, and...yeah, again, not the real title of the episode in the thread title there.

Lythisrose
April 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I must be a popular culture illiterate, but what exactly do the "Very Special" and James Stewart references allude to?

pilgrim soul
April 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM
^Don't worry I don't get it either. :S

I found this reference on Wikipedia to the phrase "a very special episode" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_special_episode) - I hope this isn't waht he was referring to to because taken seriously or as a parody it still sounds like a bad idea.

GoSpikey
April 30th, 2008, 07:51 AM
PG, afraid that someone was going to beat you in making the thread if you waited any longer? :P

PG15
April 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Nah. I doubt anyone has the guts to challenge my episode-thread-making supremecy.

:D

ussrelativity
April 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Nah. I doubt anyone has the guts to challenge my episode-thread-making supremacy.

I thought someone would have, when the title for "The Lost Tribe" came out. I was wondering when you would create the thread for that one.

GoSpikey
April 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
We were afraid of all the whumping that would happen, were we to try to snoop one ep title thread away from you, PG...

naamiaiset
April 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
^Don't worry I don't get it either. :S

I found this reference on Wikipedia to the phrase "a very special episode" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_special_episode) - I hope this isn't waht he was referring to to because taken seriously or as a parody it still sounds like a bad idea.
I hope it's not. my first thought was that it could be another like "sunday" or a reflection episode?

Arica12
April 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I hope it's not. my first thought was that it could be another like "sunday" or a reflection episode?

With the James Stewart reference my first thought was 'It's a Wonderful Life'

I don't know I'm up to Sheppard racing through the halls of Atlantis shouting Merry Christmas Mr Woolsey........:S

naamiaiset
April 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know I'm up to Sheppard racing through the halls of Atlantis shouting Merry Christmas Mr Woolsey........:S
that is just frightening. :S

Jeff O'Connor
April 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe they're finally going and doing the 'Sunday without terrible consequences' which was originally planned. And Maggie will sweep in from a different dimension and they'll all sing 'Merry Christmas, Mr. W --' yeah, exactly.

Mitchell82
April 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Or mcaky singing that itself frightens me.

Lythisrose
April 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJDBay5LcU#
:)

Fenrir Foxz
April 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM

LOL The horror! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJDBay5LcU#
:)

:S ... :lol:

PG15
April 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hey! I thought he was pretty good!

Fenrir Foxz
April 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Yeah but I wouldn't really want to see DH/McKay singing on SGA... that would be weird :P

Mitchell82
May 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM

He was but just not on SGA. Just the though of him singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" is enough to scare the hell out of me.;)

Platschu
May 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
My very special episode idea: We can see only a black screen for 42 minutes as the ZPM will be depleted and the electricity will disappear from Atlantis. :D

Jeff O'Connor
May 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
My very special episode idea: We can see only a black screen for 42 minutes as the ZPM will be depleted and the electricity will disappear from Atlantis. :D

Follow the legendary exploits of Radek and Lorne in surrond sound (and nothing else) as they lead an empty blackness that is Atlantis in search of the one power supply, misplaced but not forgotten, to rule them all.

Highlights include shrieking noises from Zelenka, character development for Lorne (he never watched 'Are You Afraid Of The Dark' growing up because... he was) and no saving grace from Sheppard or McKay, who are both trapped inside closets for the entirety of the episode.

Killdeer
May 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM

Mine too - it made me wonder if it was a Christmas episode. Which would be something never before done on Stargate.

FoolishPleasure
May 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe we'll finally be rid of Keller. That would be very special.

One can only hope.

Reiko
May 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
.: When they kill Keller (and CONFIRM she's staying dead) I will personally deliver very expensive chocolate up to Bridge Studios. given that they also give into my other requests

jenks
May 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
*yawn*

pilgrim soul
May 3rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
Follow the legendary exploits of Radek and Lorne in surrond sound (and nothing else) as they lead an empty blackness that is Atlantis in search of the one power supply, misplaced but not forgotten, to rule them all.

Highlights include shrieking noises from Zelenka, character development for Lorne (he never watched 'Are You Afraid Of The Dark' growing up because... he was) and no saving grace from Sheppard or McKay, who are both trapped inside closets for the entirety of the episode.

Sheppard and McKay being trapped inside closets wouldn't be that special - now Sheppard and McKay coming out of the closet....

:lol:

jelgate
May 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sheppard and McKay being trapped inside closets wouldn't be that special - now Sheppard and McKay coming out of the closet....

That would never happen nor do I want it to happen.

Fenrir Foxz
May 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM

That would never happen nor do I want it to happen.

:indeed:

GoSpikey
May 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
They will forever search for dark corners so no one finds out... :D

Fenrir Foxz
May 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
They will forever search for dark corners so no one finds out... :D

LOL :P

GoSpikey
May 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
They'd better. :D

*Goes to the 5x10 thread since she's got a q*

kali1
May 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM

One can only hope.

That would be a dream come true.....

GoSpikey
May 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM

ijffdrie
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
they kill off everyone except kavanauagh

there deaths are all gruesome, bloody and imaginitive

Mitchell82
May 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
they kill off everyone except kavanauagh

there deaths are all gruesome, bloody and imaginitive
Only if it is in an Alternate Timeline. Personally I want him thrown into a cage with a hungry Wraith.

Mitchell82
May 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Oh lord.........:S

kali1
May 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Only if it is in an Alternate Timeline. Personally I want him thrown into a cage with a hungry Wraith.

I'm all for that. Todd needs to be fed.

Platschu
May 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
.: When they kill Keller (and CONFIRM she's staying dead) I will personally deliver very expensive chocolate up to Bridge Studios. given that they also give into my other requests

They killed her in 4x20 and you didn't say that whether other realities count or not, so you can send the chocolate to the studio. :D

Fenrir Foxz
May 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
They killed her in 4x20 and you didn't say that whether other realities count or not, so you can send the chocolate to the studio. :D

GoSpikey
May 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM

If Kavanagh were to open up a door and see Todd standing on the other side, he'd faint immediately, nothing more required than that man's presence... :D

Mitchell82
May 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM

So it's settled Kav is Wraith food.;)

g.o.d
May 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM

One can only hope.

or maybe Mallozzi will be a guest star and some hungry Wraith will eat him. That would be very very very special:)

Mitchell82
May 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
or maybe Mallozzi will be a guest star and some hungry Wraith will eat him. That would be very very very special:)

I'm sure JM would love to do that.:sheppardanime31:

kali1
May 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
If Kavanagh were to open up a door and see Todd standing on the other side, he'd faint immediately, nothing more required than that man's presence... :D

Ohhh god yes. He would faint in 1 sec flat.

So it's settled Kav is Wraith food.;)

I'm all for it. Does everyone else agree? :D

teehee! :D:D

Reiko
May 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM

.: Note: "and she STAYS dead" ;)

.: LOL. Mallozzi should guest star (the man seems like he can act...) several times as a redshirt and it'll become a running joke - "watch carefully for Joe Mallozzi in this one, his characters' death may go unnoticed!" :P

.: I should ask him :D

PG15
May 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
That...would be hilarious, actually. :D

He appeared as "himself" in SG1's Wormhole X-Treme. He wanted donuts. ;)

Reiko
May 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
.: *must watch Wormhole Xtreme now*

.: So he was still the food-loving Mallozzi back then? :P

PG15
May 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
The man never changes. ;)

kali1
May 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
That...would be hilarious, actually. :D

He appeared as "himself" in SG1's Wormhole X-Treme. He wanted donuts. ;)

It must not have been memorable cuz I don't remember seeing him....hehehe

PG15
May 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
It was just a cameo. Heck, most of the writers/producers/directors made cameos in that episode for obvious reasons.

Here he is:

http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season5/512dvd/caps/sg1-5x12-2425.html
http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season5/512dvd/caps/sg1-5x12-2430.html

kali1
May 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
It was just a cameo. Heck, most of the writers/producers/directors made cameos in that episode for obvious reasons.

Here he is:

http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season5/512dvd/caps/sg1-5x12-2425.html
http://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/season5/512dvd/caps/sg1-5x12-2430.html

Ahhhh, yes. I kinda remember that now. Thanks for the pics. :D

PG15
May 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Small hint of things to come...

Airelle also writes: “Are you on set when filming what you write?”

Answer: I try to be. I dropped by the set while they were shooting Broken Ties, but was there for almost all of the Whispers shoot. I’ll probably be on set or most of Episode #16 as well.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/may-6-2008-things-you-dont-want-to-find-on-your-pizza/

PG15
May 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Joe procrastinates...

Yes, it feels like not that long ago I was prepping episode #3 and now, here I sit, thinking about thinking about episode #16. Yes, I’ll eventually start making headway but, at this point in a story‘s development, it‘s so easy to get distracted by seemingly more pressing matters...

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/may-7-2008-damn-we-shouldve-just-cast-this-guy/

Mitchell82
May 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Ohhh god yes. He would faint in 1 sec flat.

I'm all for it. Does everyone else agree? :D
I think most would.

kali1
May 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I think most would.

I think so too :D

PG15
May 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Update!

Skip over that big, blank space at the #15 slot and you come to my final episode of the season, tentatively titled Remnants. A little more progress today which took the form of my promising to have a beat sheet ready for Monday. I guess there’s nothing left to do now but write the damn thing.

---

Thornyrose also writes: “And when is episode 16 scheduled to start filming?”

Answer: Last time I checked, some time in late July.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/may-8-2008-production-update/

Jumper_One
May 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Update!

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/may-8-2008-production-update/

Remnants? hm if Sam isn't in the season finale I'd say this might be her second ep. of course this could also refer to Michael... :S

EDIT: what about Woolsey? could this be another IOA ep?

PG15
May 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
A slight change...

We spun Marty G.’s latest story idea this morning, going back and forth on various notions as the room argued containment fields, points of science, and hot vs. cold air masses. The thematic shift of his story has turned out to be a good new/bad news situation for me. Good news: HE is now writing “A Very Special Stargate: Atlantis”. Bad news: He takes the #16 slot which means I’m writing #15 which will have to be ready to prep on the day we get back from our summer hiatus. It would be great to have a story locked some time before then, but it’s been mighty slow going. And I’m getting mighty anxious.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/may-12-2008-this-n-that/

Mitchell82
May 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Remnants? hm if Sam isn't in the season finale I'd say this might be her second ep. of course this could also refer to Michael... :S

Hmm well who knows they maybe they find the Remnants of a lost civilization.;) Or maybe the Remnants of the Asuran Fleet.

Fenrir Foxz
May 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM

I'm hoping this eps about Michael... but it could be Woolsey/I.O.A...

GoSpikey
May 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hey boys, I'm watching 'Inferno' at the mo, you know, the Taranis people Michael ended up dedding despite their big rescue ops?

They mention it's 12 hours to fly to Atlantis and back, so those peeps can be saved? Why aren't they dumping them on a planet that's more near Taranis and can sustain them for a few min, while they fly back and get the next load there? :mckay:

The ep's written by a guy, you can tell... :P

Fenrir Foxz
May 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hey boys, I'm watching 'Inferno' at the mo, you know, the Taranis people Michael ended up dedding despite their big rescue ops?

I watched that last night :D

They mention it's 12 hours to fly to Atlantis and back, so those peeps can be saved? Why aren't they dumping them on a planet that's more near Taranis and can sustain them for a few min, while they fly back and get the next load there? :mckay:

Dunno, perhaps there wasn't a viable planet that could have sustained human life close by...

The ep's written by a guy, you can tell... :P

How many SGA arn't written by guys? :P

GoSpikey
May 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
The girl is anxious to be studying under Rodney.

And boy, did he mess that one off, - er, up... :mckay:

:P :P :P

Fenrir Foxz
May 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I had a feeling that is what you were refering to :P

GoSpikey
May 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
And why do certain people (I don't remember if it was Reiko?) say that Carson is only sitting funny in the Atlantis Chair?

Have you seen him look for, and sit down on that chair from the Orion? :lol:

Nope, not just the one he has issues with! :P

Dunno if this works, but here it is:

:o

Fenrir Foxz
May 14th, 2008, 09:44 PM
LOL :p

Mitchell82
May 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I watched that last night :D

Dunno, perhaps there wasn't a viable planet that could have sustained human life close by...

How many SGA arn't written by guys? :P

There aren't any I don't think. I actually can't remember any ep not written by a guy on either Stargate show.

Fenrir Foxz
May 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
There aren't any I don't think. I actually can't remember any ep not written by a guy on either Stargate show.

Yeah that's what I was getting at ;)

GoSpikey
May 15th, 2008, 05:46 AM
*Gets her note book-thingy*

SG-1: "Emancipation" written by Katharyn Michaelian Powers - sounds like a she? So is "Brief Candle", "Thor's Hammer", "Fire And Water", "Enigma", "Thor's Chariot", "Family", "Serpent's Song", etc.

And I think there's a Heather E. Ash? Sounds like a girl too? From "Learning Curve", "Foothold", "New Ground", "Beneath The Surface", etc.

Unless I copied down the wrong things in my book? :)

Fenrir Foxz
May 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I never said none of the eps on SG1 were written by women...

I said:

How many SGA arn't written by guys?
...When can I expect a list for that? :D :P

GoSpikey
May 15th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I never said none of the eps on SG1 were written by women...

I said:

...When can I expect a list for that? :D :P

I was pointing it out to:

;)

So I guess my little bookie didn't lie to me? :P

Fenrir Foxz
May 15th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I was pointing it out to: ;)

Oh...

So I guess my little bookie didn't lie to me? :P

I dunno, I'd have to look up the info...

GoSpikey
May 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM
*Patiently waits*

:P

Fenrir Foxz
May 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM
LOL... :P
S1 "Emancipation"
^ "Brief Candle"
^ "Thor's Hammer"
^ "Fire And Water"
^ "Enigma" ................. (Written by) - Katharyn Michaelian Powers

S2 "Thor's Chariot"
^ "Family"
^ "Serpent's Song" ...... (Written by) - Katharyn Michaelian Powers

S3 "Learning Curve"
^ "Foothold" ............... (Written by) - Heather E. Ash.
^ "Pretense" ............... (Written by) - Katharyn Michaelian Powers
^ "New Ground" ........... (Written by) - Heather E. Ash.

S4 "Crossroads" ............ (Written by) - Katharyn Michaelian Powers
^ "Beneath the Surface" (Written by) - Heather E. Ash.

S5 "Rite of Passage" ...... (Written by) - Heather E. Ash.

S6 "Smoke & Mirrors" ..... (Written by) - Katharyn Michaelian Powers
^ "Metamorphosis" ...... (Written by) - Jacqueline Samuda (and James Tichenor)
...Unless it's not mentioned on Wikipedia, that's the lot.

I also checked SGA:
S1 "The Storm (Part 1)" .. (Written by) - Jill Blotevogel (and Martin Gero)

S2 "Instinct" ................. (Written by) - Treena Hancock and Melissa R. Byer

S3 "The Game" .............. (Written by) - (Don Whitehead,) Holly Henderson, (and Carl Binder)
There's quite a few SG1 but only 3 SGA (2 of which had male co writer/s).

Oh and the episode you mentioned that was obviously written by a guy? ("Inferno") ...That was done by Carl Binder.

GoSpikey
May 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM
It's really not that much on both shows... :(

Yup, that he did. :)

Carl also wrote Vengeance, so he offed them, too. :P

Such a nice guy. :)

PG15
May 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ok, Joe emailed me back after I asked him for a little clarification, and it seems that Martin Gero is directing this episode.

You guys can trust me on this. ;)

This means that this episode is now the "Martin Gero Spectacular" that I made a thread for all those days ago. Looks like I made a mistake there. This is what I posted in that other thread (which will now be shut down, since it's technically for this episode):

---

To prevent any loss of information due to my faulty memory, I'm going to try to make these threads the moment I hear of an episode's existence. I know there isn't much to discuss at the moment, but when the info do come in, it'll have a home.

So far, all we know is...

At this point, the schedule looks something like this: [...] the Martin Gero “written and directed by spectacular“

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/29/april-29-2008-on-the-set-of-whispers/

The other things Martin Gero has directed, to my knowledge, are his own film, "Young People F***ing" and those Stargate Superfan commercials.

Oh, and..."Martin Gero Spectacular" =/= real title.

---

Nevermind all of that. Mistakes have been made.

Mitchell82
May 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ok, Joe emailed me back after I asked him for a little clarification, and it seems that Martin Gero is directing this episode.

You guys can trust me on this. ;)

Because the all mighty PG15 is never wrong.;)

PG15
May 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Read my edited post. I...I made a mistake.

I'M SO ASHAMED!!

Mitchell82
May 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I'M SO ASHAMED!!

:jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05:
Ragnarok is upon us we must hide!;)

pilgrim soul
May 16th, 2008, 03:40 AM

I'M SO ASHAMED!!

You see this is why I asked that question before I got in a muddle with my posts on the spoiler comm. :p

Now lets see if anyone can wheedle any info out of Joe about those last two empty spots.

GoSpikey
May 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
See what you did, PG? In all your haste to rule the season 5 board, you made mistakes! :P

From 'two mentiones = new thread', to 'one mention deserves a thread' my bum.

Fenrir Foxz
May 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM

I'M SO ASHAMED!!

Ragnarok is upon us we must hide!;)

Where can you hide from the end of everything? :P

Ragnarok will not happen... for now :D

See what you did, PG? In all your haste to rule the season 5 board, you made mistakes! :P

From 'two mentiones = new thread', to 'one mention deserves a thread' my bum.

PG15
May 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Indeed; my hubris was my downfall, just like all great tyrants. ;)

PG15
May 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
And the downfall continues. To be fair, Joe was the one who caused my confusion!

PG15 writes: “ Episode 15 = Marty’s pitch, but you’re writing it. You’ve now named it Remnants.
Episode 16 = Very Special Atlantis Episode, Marty’s writing it (and directing it).”

Answer: Why would I be writing Martin’s pitch yet keep the title I came up with for my story? Nope. I’ll be writing my story, Remnants, in the 15 slot. Martin will write and direct his story in the 16 slot.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/may-21-2008-ballroom-dancing-linked-to-mad-cow-disease/

Commence spoiler restructuring!

EDIT: Ok, here's all the vague spoilers that's supposed to have been in this thread:

Small update:

Speaking of scripts - I’ve finally made some headway on episode #15. Sort of. I’ve expanded the story and included throughlines for three separate characters, an A story mystery, and a B story probationary review.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/may-12-2008-whispers-julys-botm-club-selections-and-mike-banas-pi/

Update:

I’ve discovered a cure for insomnia! If you’re ever lying wide awake in bed and unable to fall sleep, all you have to do is start thinking about the outline for your upcoming script. I guarantee you’ll be out before the first act break. Amazingly, it seems to work for mid-afternoon naps as well. Yes, the outline is slow going, but I hope to have a rough beat sheet in by end of day Tuesday after which everyone will weigh in and no doubt help me fill in the missing pieces that will send me on my way to script. If I can lock in a structure by early next week, I could probably turn in a first draft before mid-June, leaving my hiatus more or less free and clear for reading, Esperanto lessons, and my beginner’s garroting class.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/may-18-2008-a-cure-for-insomnia/

New update:

Back at the office today. Watched a director’s cut of The Queen and a Day 1 mix of The Seed, dropped by stage 2 where Will was shooting the inserts and missing shots for Whispers, had Bob Picardo drop by the office to say hi and bye enroute to his convention in Italy, chatted with a familiar face from the SG-1 past at the lunch line, beat out the tease and first two acts of the tentatively titled Remnants,

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/may-20-2008-major-hollywood-star-attacked-by-rabid-turtles/

pilgrim soul
May 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Joe has got me seriously confused with this now - he's completely contradicted himself. He should take pity on poor idiots like me. :(

Platschu
May 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
PG15: It seems I was right. But you still make a wonderful job and it wasn't your fault. ;)

GoSpikey
May 22nd, 2008, 04:32 AM
Bwahahaha!

PG got spanked by Joe!

At least, that's what it felt like when I read it in his mailbox a few min ago!

But doing this is hard work, so thanks, PG! *Kissy*

PG15
May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM

PG15: It seems I was right. But you still make a wonderful job and it wasn't your fault. ;)

That's correct; it wasn't my fault. :D

We'll see what happens. I pointed out in the comments section that it was his mistake, so I guess I can only expect more retribution? ;)

Platschu
May 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
He answered simply, so he didn't want to make retribution. The written words can't express his feelings. ;)

PG15
May 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ok, now we're back on track. Update:

But rather than dwell on that sad tale, why don’t I tell you about my no-less-sad though far more monkeyless day. Well, I’m pleased to report I’ve finally completed a very rough beat sheet for Remnants, formerly a “very special Stargate: Atlantis”, now a “not so special Stargate: Atlantis”. However, I’m sure that once the other writers weigh in with their brilliant ideas, it’ll go from “not so special” to “one of passing interest”. So far, I’ve got the word out to a couple of potential guest stars, discussed the look of the mainland, and have been considering some of the more important character moments I want to explore with Sheppard, McKay, and Woolsey.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/may-22-2008-drunken-monkey-acquitted-in-hit-and-run-death-of-local-man/

Jumper_One
May 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Ok, now we're back on track. Update:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/may-22-2008-drunken-monkey-acquitted-in-hit-and-run-death-of-local-man/

oks so this ep is about Shep, Rodney, Woolsey and the mainland. hm...

Platschu
May 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
"Snakes on the plane" remake. :lol:

GoSpikey
May 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
The mainland? Yay...

Sam didn't even venture there... :)

pilgrim soul
May 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Well, I’m pleased to report I’ve finally completed a very rough beat sheet for Remnants, formerly a “very special Stargate: Atlantis”, now a “not so special Stargate: Atlantis”. However, I’m sure that once the other writers weigh in with their brilliant ideas, it’ll go from “not so special” to “one of passing interest”. So far, I’ve got the word out to a couple of potential guest stars, discussed the look of the mainland, and have been considering some of the more important character moments I want to explore with Sheppard, McKay, and Woolsey.

Isn't this the ep where Joe said Kari Wuhrer could be back as Nancy?

GoSpikey
May 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
It had better not be.

PG15
May 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry, it is:

At this point, the schedule looks something like this: First Contact and The Lost Tribe are the mid-season two-parter, episodes 9 and 10. After that, things get a little wonky. We have Alan McCullough’s location episode (q.v. yesterday‘s David Hassel Hoffan entry), Alex Levine’s Inquisition (in which Atlantis is finally made to answer for past transgressions), Carl Binder’s latest (the beat sheet arrived on my desk late this afternoon and I’m going to try to read it tomorrow morning), the Martin Gero “written and directed by spectacular“, my “a very special Stargate Atlantis” which quite possibly may see the return of the lovely Kari Wuhrer, CSI: Atlantis which will be helmed by Robert C. Cooper, and that season finale I was talking about. Which leaves one mystery slot.

I liked her a lot, so it's all good for me. :p

pilgrim soul
May 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
^Yeah I liked her too, assuming there is a part for her in this episode, I'd be delighted to see her back, hopefully Kari will be available.

Jumper_One
May 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
The mainland? Yay...

Sam didn't even venture there... :)

so?

GoSpikey
May 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
What can you possibly do on the mainland? What can Woolsey possibly do there?

Omg, the outfit is going to be hilarious, though... :lol:

Reiko
May 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
And why do certain people (I don't remember if it was Reiko?) say that Carson is only sitting funny in the Atlantis Chair?

Have you seen him look for, and sit down on that chair from the Orion? :lol:

» Carson + Chairs ... http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/Reiko_Afterglow/smilies/weir/weir_drool-1.gif

jelgate
May 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone got a mop?

GoSpikey
May 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Not for that... :S :S :S

PG15
May 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Update:

Well, after receiving some thoughts from the other writers, I’m off and running on Remnants. I hit the 12-page mark today and hope to make some progress this weekend - at least until I hit the top of the third act where one of those blasted TBD place-holder beats awaits. Nevertheless, I hope to have a first draft done before we head off for hiatus (in two weeks) which would allow me to spend my July researching alternate SF sources and focusing on other pursuits. And by researching alternate SF sources I mean read more books.

And by other pursuits I mean sleeping in.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/may-28-2008-major-retailer-recalls-combustible-underpants/

Mitchell82
May 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
What can you possibly do on the mainland? What can Woolsey possibly do there?

Omg, the outfit is going to be hilarious, though... :lol:

Yeah but hopefully it will look better than it did in TLM.

GoSpikey
May 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
He's gotta wear boots and everything! :lol:

Mitchell82
May 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
He's gotta wear boots and everything! :lol:

Not to mention he has to find a way to say "Please state the nature of the Medical Emergency.";)

maxbo
May 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Isn't this the ep where Joe said Kari Wuhrer could be back as Nancy?

Sorry, it is:

I liked her a lot, so it's all good for me. :p

^Yeah I liked her too, assuming there is a part for her in this episode, I'd be delighted to see her back, hopefully Kari will be available.

I hope Kari Wuhrer is available too. I enjoyed her in Outcast.

oks so this ep is about Shep, Rodney, Woolsey and the mainland. hm...

Hmmm, Sheppard, Rodney, Woolsey and the mainlaind... interesting combo. Didn't they mention that large snake-like things inhabit the mainland? I wonder if we'll see them.

PG15
May 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Update!

Whenever I start work on a script, I set modest goals and then always surprise myself by exceeding expectations. I’ve done this so often that you would think I’d know better by now but, no, I continue to amaze myself. Take Remnants for instance. I wanted to have a first draft for mid-July but, after some thought, revised the target date to a month earlier - the second week of June which would allow me to get some feedback from the other writers before I head off for hiatus. It usually takes me about two weeks to write a script, so I figured if I had an outline in place by the beginning of the month, June 13th would be very doable. Well, as it turned out I nailed down the outline at the beginning of this week which gave me an extra few days to work with. Add the fact that the first two acts practically write themselves, my wife is out of town, and I have no social life to speak of outside of backyard babysitting duties with the dogs, and June 13th looks very doable indeed. “Joseph,”I said to myself using the name given to me by my parents at birth because, for some reason, it seems to draw less attention from curious bystanders, “aim to have 25 pages completed by Monday morning.” They didn’t have to be perfect. Perfection would come later over the course of the interminable polishes. Good would do for a start. Flesh out the scenes. Hit the beats. Run the dialogue. And, most important of all, really push the envelope. They may ask you to scale back or remove it altogether but, hey, you never know. Remember Teal’c’s appearance at that Vagina Monologuesque reading of the Virginia Dialogues in Family Ties?

Anyway, I hit P. 21 today and, as predicted, it’s fairly smooth sailing. So far. The process of scriptwriting is not unlike suffering from a bad fever. Morning, noon, and night, you’re head is swimming with the same damn images, pieces of some unfathomable puzzle bobbing up and down in the soupy morass that was once your mind, just begging to be recovered and made sense of. And, needless to say, the more you obsess over this conceptual flotsam and jetsam, the clearer the grand picture forms. For instance, just this afternoon a couple of those persistent little notions came together to give me a truly diabolical revelation. The result = a scene that will have all the Shep-whumpers screaming “Yes! Yes!” and then “What?! NO!! NO!! NOOOO!!!” The gloves are off, kiddies.

Oh, and I came up with that fifth act twist I’ve been agonizing over. This is cause for celebration. Let’s mark the occasion with a return of the mailbag.

---

Kristen writes: “In your opinion which episode for Sheppard is going to be his character driven magnus opus?”

Answer: Right now? Remnants.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/may-30-2008-celebrity-plumber-confidential/

PG15
June 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Update:

I returned home and immediately got to work in preparation for Fondy’s return tomorrow afternoon: laundry, vacuuming, garbage and recycling. And, all the while, running dialogue through my head for the next scene I have to write: McKay, Zelenka, black tea, and a frank admission. I went on a bit of a creative tear last night, hitting the 29 page mark before running out of steam. But much of the night after that was spent lying in bed, tossing and turning as I plotted out the next couple of acts.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/june-1-2008-consumption-of-plutonium-linked-to-insomnia/

GoSpikey
June 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Poor Joe... :lol:

PG15
June 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Small update:

It's a bit of a challenge sometimes to keep him out of a story but I would love to write a big Woolsey story. Joe's working on one for the back half, no details on that yet, but it's something he's working on which will feature him heavily. That will be great because he's such a great actor. He's really a great actor. He's brought such comic genius moments to a lot of scripts like "The Seer."

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/sophomore_stride3.shtml

naamiaiset
June 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
an episode focused on woolsey... unless his character changes from what it is now, I am not looking forward to that.

GoSpikey
June 4th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Anything *else* we know about this ep? :(

Jumper_One
June 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Anything *else* we know about this ep? :(

nope

GoSpikey
June 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Well, in general, they can mess up the 15th ep... Still got a few left to end the season well with. And the basis for s7 will be laid in 6.0, right?

Any idea what ep they'll end up shooting right before the break?

Because shooting 3 eps at once... :S

Jumper_One
June 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Well, in general, they can mess up the 15th ep... Still got a few left to end the season well with. And the basis for s7 will be laid in 6.0, right?

Any idea what ep they'll end up shooting right before the break?

Because shooting 3 eps at once... :S

no idea :o IIRC they're currently shooting Inquisition, Outsiders and some other ep

PG15
June 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Update:

While I’m not exactly blazing through this script, I am advancing at a fairly steady five-page-a-day pace. Still, this one has been atypical in its progression. Usually, it takes me a while to get going but once I’m past those first three acts, the last two go very quickly. In this case, however, it’s been just the opposite: fairly smooth sailing from the get-go with nary a hiccup until I hit the fourth act, at which point things slowed to a crawl. Unlike most episodes which have an A main storyline and B secondary storyline, this one is a triple A and it’s been a bit of a challenge balancing the three. First, there’s Sheppard and his mainland troubles. Then, there’s McKay and his Zelenka-assisted investigation of the mystery find. And, finally, there’s Woolsey and his good news/bad news/bizarre news day. The way it’s looking, this initial draft is going to clock in at a healthy 60+ pages which I’ll, of course, edit down to a much more reasonable 56-58 before putting it out. Given the type of script it is, I’m expecting significant notes and a potentially heavy rewrite - which, in this case, isn’t a problem because I’ll have all of the hiatus to work on it. The important thing is that I put out a first draft that will give the office a fair approximation of how the production schedule will break down. Most of the beats are sound so I don’t expect much scene-shifting. The only one that worries me is what I’ll be doing to Sheppard at the end of the third act. I suspect more than one person in the room will say something to the effect of: “Are you nuts?!” . Should make for an interesting debate.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/04/june-4-2008-new-studies-suggest-young-people-living-longer-than-old-people/

Linzi
June 5th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Update:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/04/june-4-2008-new-studies-suggest-young-people-living-longer-than-old-people/
I wonder what JM wants to do to Sheppard? :confused: :eek:

g.o.d
June 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I wonder what JM wants to do to Sheppard? :confused: :eek:

he probably wants to find even younger girl in leather for him. But it's against today's laws

GoSpikey
June 5th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Oh, come on, whumpers, you're probably gonna love it! :P

Linzi
June 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Oh, come on, whumpers, you're probably gonna love it! :P

Well, if JM hadn't said we'd say: 'Yes, yes yes!!!' then, 'What? NO NO NO!!!' I'd be really thrilled and excited. But this has me going 'Huh?' The only thing I could come up with is Shep being attacked by a giant venomous snake, which were mentioned in season 4 as being on the mainland. But, if that were to happen, anyone who understands whumpers would know we'd say: 'Yes, yes, yes!!!!''' THUD! 'Cos we'd be unconscious! :lol:

So, um, I really have a bad feeling about this! :eek:

jelgate
June 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
What happens if dies? Is that the ultimate whump for whumpers?

GoSpikey
June 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well, if JM hadn't said we'd say: 'Yes, yes yes!!!' then, 'What? NO NO NO!!!' I'd be really thrilled and excited. But this has me going 'Huh?' The only thing I could come up with is Shep being attacked by a giant venomous snake, which were mentioned in season 4 as being on the mainland. But, if that were to happen, anyone who understands whumpers would know we'd say: 'Yes, yes, yes!!!!''' THUD! 'Cos we'd be unconscious! :lol:

But then this fits in:

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."

;)

Probably not.

Will they accept a clone? :o

Lots of serious whumpage can happen once you can clone your people...

Listy
June 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM

I also have a bad feeling :S because most whump would make us very happy with the exception of hair whump or anything permenant he always has to be put back right in the end

OMG NOOOOOOOOO!!!......oh carp don't even go there.

We always have to make him all better, we don't like to leave our beloved character whumped, we luffs the comfort too.

PG15
June 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Oh, that's it then, isn't it?

Shep is going to need brain surgery due to some major whump, which means he's going to have to get all of his hair cut off!! :eek:

EDIT: 13000th post!!! :D

Listy
June 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Shep is going to need brain surgery due to some major whump, which means he's going to have to get all of his hair cut off!! :eek:

too cruel :D :eek:

Just so we are clear....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o201/listy1980/Posters/Teh_Hair1.jpg

GoSpikey
June 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
:eek: :indeed:

*Watches Enemies*

GoSpikey
June 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM

EDIT: 13000th post!!! :D

I'm at 6,500-ish! That means I'm half the woman you are! :lol:

PG15
June 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Update, I guess:

One week after starting work on the script, I have a 63 page rough first draft of Remnants! Not bad, not bad at all. Not great either, which is why I’ll be spending the next three days revising, shifting, polishing, and rethinking things. I’m aiming to get it out to the writing department on Monday. There’s no sense in putting it out any sooner as Marty G. is out of town until then, riding the east-coast YPF PR train. He called me yesterday from Montreal where he is practicing his French, doing interviews dans la belle province in advance of the big North America-wide release of his movie (June 13th I believe). I updated him on Stargate happenings including Alan and Carl’s story ideas and our end-of-season plans. “How’s your script going?”he asked. “I’m exhausted,”I told him. “You sound exhausted,”he shot back. Yes, exhausted but relieved now that I have a completed draft. For a while there, I was feeling a tad frustrated. Interestingly enough, that frustration happened to coincide with my return to the office where my hitherto rapidfire progress on the script ground to a halt. As someone pointed out, the production offices are fraught with distractions. From Lawren’s lunch orders to Carl’s delightful fishing tales, it‘s a wonder anything gets done. Yesterday, between all of the end of season hoopla and episodes 17 and 18 yakkity-yak, I ended up writing all of a page - then went home, had dinner, and stayed up past midnight to write a whopping eight pages (including two of the script’s most challenging scenes). This morning - and, yes, it took me all morning - I wrote the last half-page scene to finish the script. As is tradition on such momentous occasions, the first thing I did immediately after typing FADE OUT and hitting SAVE was to email myself a copy just in the event: a) my laptop is stolen and/or b) I drop dead before I’ve had a chance to distribute it, thereby hopefully saving my co-workers the awkwardness of running a frenzied post-memorial search of my laptop.

I phoned up Paul Weber this afternoon and discussed casting for the episode. Apparently, the nefarious one’s deal has closed. Next up, we need to get the ball rolling on T.T. Once that’s done, it’s only a matter of finding a Lieberman and a Conrad. Bob has already offered a casting suggestion for the latter.

---

Sandyurbahns writes: “Do you save your original script? The one that you finish before you start cutting it down to fit the 48 or so minutes allowed for filming. I think there would be potential for publication of the original written scripts, after the show has aired of course. I know I’d love to read what your original thoughts were before all the other writers, directors, etc. get their chance to change them.”

Answer: I do save my first drafts. In the past, I have offered up scene-by-scene comparisons between the first drafts and the finished episodes. For season five, I’ll be offering the breakdowns on Broken Ties, Whispers, and Remnants.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/june-5-2008-corn-dog-wins-best-in-show/

PG15
June 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Update:

Speaking of scripts, I went over my first draft of Remnants and trimmed it down from 63 to a somewhat more acceptable 58 pages. I’ll spend the weekend shaving another couple of pages off that count and then, we’ll be good to go. As is often the case when I write a script, I like it a lot more on second reading - although it’s not without its problems. Specifically, and at the risk of giving too much away…

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A

L

E

R

T

I’m referring to pages 29, 31, 33, 34, 40, 44-50, 55, and 56. The nice thing about getting the script in early is that I’ll have a whole month to work on the rewrite rather than killing myself to incorporate everyone’s notes during prep week. It also means that my hiatus will be fairly free and clear.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/june-6-2008-mime-trapped-in-invisible-box-for-11-days-bystanders-assumed-it-was-part-of-act/

GoSpikey
June 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Did you even see my ':lol:' thingy? :(

PG15
June 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Of course I did. I just couldn't come up with a suitable response that's hilarious, cutting, and adorable. I guess even I can be speechless at times. Well done. ;) :p

Meanwhile...

Today, I revised my first draft and shaved the script down to a manageable 56 pages.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/june-7-2008-paris-named-frenchest-city-philadelphia-a-close-second/

GoSpikey
June 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Should we suggest cutting out the Rodney/Keller/Ronon things so he'll do even better than 56 pages? :P

And yay! I made you speechless!

Oh, I just watched 48 Hours. If one were slightly more negative, one could say that 38 Minutes wass everything they didn't do in that ep, right? :o

But you know me. I'm positive, so I wouldn't say such a thing.

How deserving for Rodney to be stuck in the Stargate for once, lol! The part where he could be sucked into the atmosphere was a bonus. :P

PG15
June 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Update:

I went over the script one last time, then handed in after lunch. Finally, I’m done. Until, of course, I get the notes and have to begin the rewrite. Alex Levine, who went over the script before distributing it, had some thoughts. He found the Shen imbroglio too subtle (I thought it might be). He bumped on the end of Act IV and its resolution (I figured some would). He felt the reveal needed to be moved up and the big decision needed more of a build (Hey, man. Don’t come to me with problems. Come to me with solutions.). I expect feedback from everyone else in the not too distant future. Hopefully before we all go our separate ways this Friday.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/june-9-2008-chinchilla-wins-mayorlty-race-in-san-monito-county/

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm at 6,500-ish! That means I'm half the woman you are! :lol:

I'm surprised he didn't quote Daniel from "Threshold."

GoSpikey
June 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
We don't give him ideas, Mitch... ;)

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
We don't give him ideas, Mitch... ;)

Good point.;)

prion
June 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
June 10th

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/june-10-2008-cereal-mascot-knife-fight-claims-the-life-of-beloved-franken-berry/

We started the day with a morning notes session on my latest, Remnants. As is customary, we kicked things off with a round of “cover notes”. Cover notes, as the name implies, refer to general script notes like “I think you need to do a pass on the villain’s voice to make him less eloquent” or “The episode takes a while to get going so I’d suggest trimming the first few scenes” or, in Carl’s case “Aieeee! This font hurts my eyes to read!”. In the case of Remnants, there were a few, some of which I predicted. Marty G. objected to my brutal treatment of Sheppard while Paul took issue with one particular Holy **** Moment in that regard. I agreed that the scenes are dark, but I argued they’re necessarily so. No clean and comical this time out for our hero as the chickens come home to roost. Or, in this case, one particularly bad-ass rooster. Alex’s concerns about the subtlety of the Shen imbroglio were echoed and some great suggestions offered with regard to the McKay-Zelenka scenes. From the cover notes, we moved on to the page notes. Some discussion on the mechanics of the transporter scene, the mainland intro, the off-world fooferah, the short list, the “convincing” gloves, the infirmary scene, and the reveal. All very doable and while I’d love to put out a Writer’s Draft for Friday, it seems unlikely I’ll get the chance since it looks like we’ll be very busy spinning and watching cuts and mixes.

PG15
June 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Looks like Joe is looking out for the whumpers on this one. ;)

GoSpikey
June 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Looks to me like Joe wants to give the whumpers indeed a good ep, and the others are trying to stop it!

Get them, Linz!

pilgrim soul
June 11th, 2008, 04:04 AM
^Well considering where Linzi is going to be today she could literally "get them".

Speaking as a whumper myself I'm not getting excited about this episode because Joe M's earlier comment,

From May 30th:
For instance, just this afternoon a couple of those persistent little notions came together to give me a truly diabolical revelation. The result = a scene that will have all the Shep-whumpers screaming “Yes! Yes!” and then “What?! NO!! NO!! NOOOO!!!” The gloves are off, kiddies.

makes it sound like this isn't really going to be one for the whumpers.

GoSpikey
June 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Better luck next time... :lol:

Chances are that he's kidding. About the whole ep, too. :)

pilgrim soul
June 11th, 2008, 04:35 AM
^I'm a pretty easy going sort, I like all of the characters and I just enjoy the episodes for what they are and if there is whump well that's just a bonus but for some reason, as a Shep fan, I have a really bad feeling about this episode. I've just got it stuck in my mind that I'm not going to like it and I don't know why.

It'll probably turn out to be great, I mean its utterly ridiculous to form any kind of opinion at this stage, but I just have this niggling concern at the back of my mind that I can't quite shake.

Pegasus_SGA
June 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Looks to me like Joe wants to give the whumpers indeed a good ep, and the others are trying to stop it!

Get them, Linz!
HEY!!!!!!! What about me??? :( Did you forget me already? *sniff* ;)

GoSpikey
June 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
That's what you get for not visiting us often, Peg! :P

;)

PG15
June 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Oh leave her alone. I'm sure she's busy practicing her famous hug for her later one with JM. It must be special. :p

PG15
June 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
A mention:

Well, I can honestly say I have never looked forward to a Friday the 13th like I did this one. It was our last day of shooting before the month-long hiatus- still, the mood was fairly subdued on our side of the production offices. I was working on my Remnants rewrite.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/june-13-2008-grass-roots-movement-killed-after-being-sprayed-with-glyphosate/

GoSpikey
June 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Shouldn't you have put an "A mention:" on the board for Linz and Peg successfully hunting down Joe M? :P

PG15
June 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm afraid that that's not within the bounds of "A mention:".

You have much to learn. :p

Platschu
June 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I hope JM won't whump Sheppard through his ex-wife (Nancy). :( Kari Wuhrer was lovely and I hope she can return in Atlantis or Universe. :o

GoSpikey
June 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM

"A mention" should more have referred to one of the previous posts on the board, lol, together with the lines and pics in Joe's blog.

I thought it was good. :cool:

I hope JM won't whump Sheppard through his ex-wife (Nancy). :( Kari Wuhrer was lovely and I hope she can return in Atlantis or Universe. :o

I have a feeling of 'bwek' for Kari from her time in Sliders, although I can't for the love of god remember why...

Did she replace Sabrina Lloyd or what? And I didn't get over it, then? Must have shipped Jerry and Sabrina's characters, then. :D

Platschu
June 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
She replaced Sabrina Lloyd, but I began to like her better. She was in 2 or 3 season. :o When I saw here last year in Atlantis, I felt "what a waste that they hired her for playing such supporter character". I hope she will return in some way. Maybe Woolsey will need help from a talented NID diplomat as she was. :P

GoSpikey
June 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I haven't seen the ep yet, did I mention that? :mckay:

pilgrim soul
June 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM

The whole matter of Nancy returning is confusing now though. JM originally said that she could possible be returning in "a very special Stargate Atlantis" - but since then he has completely confused everyone as to whether he or MG will be writing the "a very special Stargate Atlantis" script. His latest comments seem to suggest MG is writing it which would suggest that if she appears it will be in Brain Storm not Remnants - confused? Because I sure as hell am. We need someone to sort this confusion out for us.

Help us PG15, you're our only hope!

GoSpikey
June 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Wasn't PG the reason it got complicated? :beckettanime14:

Jumper_One
June 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM

oh the irony :P

GoSpikey
June 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM

PG15
June 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Oops. :p

Update:

I rewrote the tease of Remnants (adding Dr. Kiang as per Martin’s suggestion and replacing the tree limb after Rob warned me it wouldn’t work) and made some changes to the first act (I addressed Paul’s note by including an early time-cut, lost McKay’s “I said good day, sir.” because Martin didn’t like it, included Zelenka in the control room scene as per everyone’s request, and changed the final beat to avoid repeating a visual from Broken Ties).

---

Belouchi writes: “3. So far Remnants, the eppy you are writing, can be classified under what type of episode? For example: Sateda=action packed, BAMSR=Best special effects, First Strike=Suspenseful, Doppleganger=unique and frightful…..”

Answers: 3. Suspenseful, character-driven.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/june-13-2008-archdiocese-spearheads-campaign-for-itinerant-hamsters/

pilgrim soul
June 15th, 2008, 02:01 AM

No, I got in exactly the same muddle on the spoiler comm as PG did here, if you go back and read JM's comments he contradicts himself more than once.

Platschu
June 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Let PG work! I like her faith and enthusiasm. :)

Sorry for the Nancy spoiler, but you are right, maybe she will return later and not in this episode. :o

GoSpikey
June 15th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Yes, let's let her work. Come on, PG girl, it's not too late yet!

*Points up*

They started it! :P

pilgrim soul
June 15th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Let PG work! I like her faith and enthusiasm. :)

Sorry for the Nancy spoiler, but you are right, maybe she will return later and not in this episode. :o

No need to apologise, apart from maybe to PG for calling him a girl, I've asked a question on JM's blog which, if he chooses to answer, may clear things up. I asked if there were still plans for Nancy to appear and if so in which episode? Let's hope he's feeling generous and will answer.

PG15
June 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Indeed.

I am male, you guys. ;)

jelgate
June 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
:eek: Since when.:P

PG15
June 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
About the same time you were. :p

Linzi
June 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Oh leave her alone. I'm sure she's busy practicing her famous hug for her later one with JM. It must be special. :p
Well it was. While JM lifted our wallets, Peg's lifted his! What is she like?

Shouldn't you have put an "A mention:" on the board for Linz and Peg successfully hunting down Joe M? :P
Well, let me tell you. JM told me he has no idea where anyone got the idea he doesn't like hugging! He swears he does! :)

Oh , don't we all sweetie? What day is it today, again? Jetlag is a pain! :)

Oops. :p

Update:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/june-13-2008-archdiocese-spearheads-campaign-for-itinerant-hamsters/
Well, JM said to me that this was a character driven eppie - and the inference was, for me, that some folks aren't happy with that sort of eppie. Both Peg and I told him we love those kind of episodes personally :) He seemed so passionate about Remnants, that even if it does turn out to be not 'real' Sheppy whump, that I'd really like him to get the opportunity to film the episode he's envisioned. Call it creative license, or whatever, but as a muscian myself, I feel pretty strongly that we should all be able to put our individual mark on things, and express what we want in our own individual ways.

No need to apologise, apart from maybe to PG for calling him a girl, I've asked a question on JM's blog which, if he chooses to answer, may clear things up. I asked if there were still plans for Nancy to appear and if so in which episode? Let's hope he's feeling generous and will answer.

I could be totally wrong here....nothing new there, I know...but i wonder if Nancy is intended to be in this episode? :confused:

thekillman
June 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
a revival episode: kavanaugh gets killed by a wraith, is revived and the process is repeated

pilgrim soul
June 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I could be totally wrong here....nothing new there, I know...but i wonder if Nancy is intended to be in this episode? :confused:

Well this is it, there has been some confusion as to which episode is the "a very special Stargate Atlantis episode" which JM mentioned she could return in - it now seems that "Brain Storm" is the very special ep NOT Remnants I've fairly certain that she will not be appearing in this episode, nor was she ever intended to, but I'm curious as to whether she will turn up in Brain Storm or whether the plot for that episode has changed seeing as MG is working on it instead of JM.

PG15
June 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
A tidbit:

Enzo Aquarius also writes: “Judging by the cut McKay “I said good day, sir” line, I surmise this was a scene where McKay talks back to somebody? […] Heck, if it was between Zelenka and McKay, I would’ve made McKay say it then.”

Answer: It was. And it was meant to be sarcastic.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/june-15-2008-court-rules-entrance-exams-discriminate-against-the-stupid-and-lazy/

Pegasus_SGA
June 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
That's what you get for not visiting us often, Peg! :P

;)

Ah you have missed me. ;) :P :D

I know i'm a bad Stargate fan! :o There needs to be more hours in the day. :P

It was. ;)

Well it was. While JM lifted our wallets, Peg's lifted his! What is she like?

HEY!!! I thought we promised that we were going to keep that part of the trip between us? ;)

Well, let me tell you. JM told me he has no idea where anyone got the idea he doesn't like hugging! He swears he does! :)

It's the black suits that do it. And let's face it, I think anyone would be nervous about hugging me, I mean look at PG15 backtracking. ;) :p :D It's the Peggy effect. :D

Oh , don't we all sweetie? What day is it today, again? Jetlag is a pain! :)

Well, JM said to me that this was a character driven eppie - and the inference was, for me, that some folks aren't happy with that sort of eppie. Both Peg and I told him we love those kind of episodes personally :) He seemed so passionate about Remnants, that even if it does turn out to be not 'real' Sheppy whump, that I'd really like him to get the opportunity to film the episode he's envisioned. Call it creative license, or whatever, but as a muscian myself, I feel pretty strongly that we should all be able to put our individual mark on things, and express what we want in our own individual ways.

Oh yes, he was quite cagey when we asked him about remnants. Damn it. ;) I do love the character driven ones, and what I really liked is that he felt very passionate about this ep, and it was really nice to see, and even though there were some Holy crap, batman moments, I do think he will try to keep what he originally wrote.

PG15
June 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Boo-hiss on the spoiler teasing. Boo-hiss. :p

And I thought SOMEONE would be updating these threads while I was gone! Luckily I took some time after I got back from my trip and collected every hint I could gleam from the blog entries I've missed:

I settled in and worked on Remnants, rewriting the last McKay-Zelenka scene.

From http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/june-18-2008/

Marla writes: “Sounds like you’re pretty much done with Remnats - does that mean the Shep scene you’ve been fighting over with your fellow writers is still in the script?”

Answer: So far. We’ll see what the network has to say.

From http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/june-19-2008-gunfire-on-the-set/

Hmmm. I knew this would happen. I was motoring along on my Remnants rewrite and then got detoured by Wednesday’s quadruple episode screening. Nothing ruins the rhythm of a rewrite like a day off not writing. Hopefully I’ll be able to recapture the magic this weekend as I want to get this script out to the network before the end of next week.

From http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/june-20-2008-comic-con-update-dinner-at-fuel-and-yet-another-chunky-mailbag/

PG15
June 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Update:

Ikiniowa writes: “On a scale from 1-10, with 10 being the darkest, just how dark is ‘Whispers’?”

Answer: It depends what you mean by dark. I think, in some aspects, Remnants is actually darker than Whispers.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/june-27-2008-adventures-in-haircutting-pineapples-retractions-and-the-return-of-the-mailbag/

miniglik
June 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I. love. dark.

Hooray, dark!

TBA
June 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM

g.o.d
June 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I. love. dark.

Hooray, dark!

I can imagine how "dark" it's going to be...

GoSpikey
June 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
*Puts on her light bulb*

TBA
June 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I don't hope it's ''dark'' as in the 'hey, who turned the lights off?' way - which results in a cheap episode like Trio, but instead it takes place in a dark room with people continuously bumping into eachother.... The horror!

SGFerrit
June 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I don't hope it's ''dark'' as in the 'hey, who turned the lights off?' way - which results in a cheap episode like Trio, but instead it takes place in a dark room with people continuously bumping into eachother.... The horror!

Trio was one of the most expensive episodes to make in season 4.

g.o.d
June 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Trio was one of the most expensive episodes to make in season 4.

really? and which episodes are the cheapest?

GoSpikey
June 29th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Er, BAMSR, and...

Stormtrooper
June 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM

All of them? ;)

g.o.d
June 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM
All of them? ;)

you're right :D

Jumper_One
June 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Quarantine

GoSpikey
June 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
What an idiot would let a hypochondriac like McKay work on the Quarantine program anyway?

*Sneezes*

The city has now been placed under quarantine thanks to a cold. Please remain calm until the bacteria is out of the air in approximately one week's time. Thank you.

:mckay:

PG15
June 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Colds are transmitted by a virus, not a bacteria.

:p

GoSpikey
June 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
And black eyes are delivered by my fist, not fluffy bunnies. :mckay:

Killdeer
June 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Spoilers for Remnants, from GW's front page:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/06/first_details_on_remnants.shtml

naamiaiset
June 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I guessed it was kolya after the first two sentences, but I'm more interested in the "ancient race".

not too enthuised about a "smitten woolsey"... and here I thought the love triangle was bad. :p

The TARDIS
June 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I guessed it was kolya after the first two sentences, but I'm more interested in the "ancient race". :D

Not me, mate...Kolya is the best villain on Atlantis, maybe the best in the entire Stargate franchise... big mistake to kill him off in S3. Glad to see that TPTB thought the same, and are now rectifying that mistake. More Kolya is not a bad thing :D

naamiaiset
June 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Not me, mate...Kolya is the best villain on Atlantis, maybe the best in the entire Stargate franchise... big mistake to kill him off in S3. Glad to see that TPTB thought the same, and are now rectifying that mistake. More Kolya is not a bad thing :D
best villain? not in my opinion, but he's great in "common ground". I'm curious how TPTB will explain his "death" and if he'll get away again. kolya fans won't be happy if he's brought back and killed and the same episode.

miniglik
June 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I just saw it suggested (Shep Whum thread?) that Kolya is a hallucination, and I kind of like the idea of that. It's a way to bring the character back without actually making him alive again.

Lythisrose
June 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I just saw it suggested (Shep Whum thread?) that Kolya is a hallucination, and I kind of like the idea of that. It's a way to bring the character back without actually making him alive again.

Or it could be how these new aliens from the mainland manifest themselves? Lots of possibilites.

naamiaiset
June 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Or it could be how these new aliens from the mainland manifest themselves? Lots of possibilites.
sheppard's already hallucinated in "phantoms". I like the manifest idea though. if the new race can take on other forms, maybe one disguises itself/themself as someone sheppard trusts and that's how he's abducted.

miniglik
June 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
sheppard's already hallucinated in "phantoms". I like the manifest idea though. if the new race can take on other forms, maybe one disguises itself/themself as someone sheppard trusts and that's how he's abducted.

Or manifestations. Definitely. But some version of Koyla that's not actually Koyla, just a representation of "Bad Guy" for Sheppard.

jenks
June 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I doubt it's actually Kolya.

Stormtrooper
June 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Because that would be just ridiculous :S

naamiaiset
June 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Or manifestations. Definitely. But some version of Koyla that's not actually Koyla, just a representation of "Bad Guy" for Sheppard.
going with the hallucination/manifest idea, my early guess is that the scientist will be revealed as one of the new aliens/responsible.

freyr's mother
July 1st, 2008, 12:13 AM
Damn! I am so sick of seeing kolya. If you're going to kill him off, then do it. Dont make him the Daniel Jackson of stargate atlantis.

TBA
July 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Kolya is a hallucination. More spoilers and info of the ancient race:

"Remnants"

And once again I marvel at the fitting episode titles. And the writers' imagination. No really, I do. *cough* Okay. Topic.

Sheppard finds himself in trouble on the mainland when he wakes up and finds himself a lot tied up in the middle of the forrest. Of course, being who he is, that sharp rock in his proximity doesn't escape his notice.

On Atlantis, Mr. Woolsey is trying to balance his lunch tray with trying to push the buttons of a transporter to get back to his quarters. As fate has it (yeah, right, as if that ever happens!), a helping hand is soon found in the form of an attractive female doctor of science -- Vanessa Conrad, as she introduces herself, pretty knew to the city as she has just recently arrived on the Apollo. Woolsey appears to be quite taken with her and the two make small talk about Atlantis, the city's size, etc.

After realizing she might be keeping the good man, she quickly says her goodbyes, leaving Woolsey making his offer to call him by his firstname to the closed transporter's doors.

On the mainland, Sheppard succeeds in cutting his ropes and -- after finding his gun and radio gone -- hurries away from the sight. Back at the jumper, he gets a very unpleasant surprise. As it seems, he's not alone, oh no, and his company is up to no good. A company that will, as we already know, put our hero through, well, Hell. [One Dean Winchester would probably object loudly to this particular phrasing, considering the guy's current whereabouts, but hey! We all have to bear our burdens, right? *gg*] Company wo knows all about torture and torturing Sheppard. Company who's a, let's say "old acquaintance." And shall we all be surprised to meet him. *sigh* Right.

Woolsey, on the other hand, has a very unpleasant possibility to face as well: losing his mind and sanity, because as much as he tries to, he can't find a trace of his newly acuired friend Dr. Conrad. He even suspects alien influnces and the like, subjecting himself to tests, but the truth is a little more complicated.

Dangling over the edge of a cliff, Sheppard finally realizes as well that something very strange is going on, when something he thought he'd, uh, lost, wasn't lost at all when his "tormentor" -- all together now (those who want to know - and becaue I got almost kicked in the teeth for saying to much by the dear stepsister - highlight the following):Hello there, Mr. Koyla! -- advises him to use it to get to safety.

Dr. Conrad, in the meantime, apologizes to Woolsey for making him doubt his sanity. She isn't who she pretends to be, in fact, merely a physical manifestation of his romantic and sexual ideals, the intelligence of one of many "seed-carriers" that a civilization on the verge of extinction sent across the galaxy thousands of years ago to start anew. Obviously, it didn't work that well. The vessel lay dormant on the bottom of the ocean for a very long time, until its systems awakened by the presence of a 'jumper. The Intelligence connected with Woolsey to study him, get to know him and maybe get his help in completing its task.

On the mainland, it's pointed out to Sheppard that he needed to be kept distracted, because as a military man, he was most likely to use force against the seed-carrier's vessel, making him dangerous. Sheppard thinks that what they put him through to keep him busy was overkill. Turns out the joke is on the colonel, because it's pointed out to him, that, no, he wasn't tortured in the traditional sense of the word, that to no point had anyone control over his hallucinations. It's a little trickier than that.

In the end, as so many times before, it comes down to making a decision...

SGFerrit
July 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Woah! Another new race? They sound very different, and very cool. I'm looking forward to this:) The back half is shaping up to look pretty strong compared to previous years!

MechaThor
July 1st, 2008, 03:14 AM
Wow another new race! I hope they are Non-Human (maybe them large venomous Snakes?)

So what this is like the 3rd new alien race this series? The One Daniel finds in the two parter, the ones from the Alt Universe and these. Wow series 5 will be a real Alien fest and I love It!

GoSpikey
July 1st, 2008, 05:29 AM
Good to see it's hallucinations (again).

Because, okay, I didn't like like Kolya that much, he's at least a funny guy for a villain. So maybe better another ep with him vs eg one of the other ebil Genii.

It would also be very ridiculous if it were the real one, and having him running around on the mainland (how did he get there?) right after 5x14...

Everybody would be getting a shot or two, three at claiming Atlantis for their own, then, or so it would seem.

For a minute there I got even a flash of 'let's fly Atlantis to another location' because this one isn't too great after all! :D

Prior_of_the_Ori
July 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Interesting news about the new race, I hope they are quite alien... this reminds me of the Gadmeer episode somewhat back in SG-1. The way its written though it seems that this race might just appear as Humans through technology and we might not actually see them considering the whole hallucination aspect... its either that or they actually are advanced Humans which I hope they arent. Anyway, sounds like an interesting episode, can't wait.

Stormtrooper
July 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM

I'm bored to death already. Doppelganger 2.0.

yawn

g.o.d
July 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM

yawn

another idiotic and completely useless episode

GoSpikey
July 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
another idiotic and completely useless episode

another idiotic and completely useless episode comment

g.o.d
July 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
another idiotic and completely useless episode comment

look, I don't care what you think. Feel free to ignore me. That's what I do with comment I don't agree with.

Platschu
July 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
It seems the episode will be more interesting with this "hallucination Kolya". Maybe Ford will return too. :P We get a new race. The whumper ladies got a suffering Sheppard. :D So it can be a great episode. :cool:

But.

Why do I fear still that this will be the last season of Atlantis? They are writing very good and interesting episodes this year like it would be theirs last chance. So I hope SciFi won't cancel them after the 100th episode. :(

TBA
July 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
I really don't think they are going to cancel it anytime soon. It's (one of) their last original series, and with BSG gone they'll need a big fridaynight show. Besides, SGA is a whole lot better than the other crap Sci-Fi has been making...

naamiaiset
July 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM

Dr. Conrad, in the meantime, apologizes to Woolsey for making him doubt his sanity. She isn't who she pretends to be, in fact, merely a physical manifestation
I was right for once! :lol: I knew it would be the scientist.

I really don't think they are going to cancel it anytime soon. It's (one of) their last original series, and with BSG gone they'll need a big fridaynight show. Besides, SGA is a whole lot better than the other crap Sci-Fi has been making...
:indeed: joe said they'll know by mid-season whether or not SGA will be picked up for a sixth season. I don't see why not, unless ratings suddenly plummet (or sci-fi gets cheap... :S).

Jumper_One
July 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM

sounds great :D

yawn

:rolleyes:

GoSpikey
July 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
You'd rather have PG say it? :P

PG15
July 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Small update:

New Woolsey Judges Our Bald Atlantis Commander:

In the episode "Remnants," Woolsey is judged by the person who replaced him. The IOA comes in and is none too pleased that Woolsey has become a bit cavalier about the rule book he once treasured and it he may even get sacked. Picardo explained that, "He becomes a character that the audience can sympathize with. You come to realize that he is leader material."

http://io9.com/5021267/stargate-atalantis-season-5-new-aliens-and-cameos

naamiaiset
July 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
"he may even get sacked."

sure... then who would replace him? teal'c? :lol:

GoSpikey
July 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
No, Naami, there's like one person out there that's been crying that Daniel Jackson would be the best one to lead...

:mckay:

Some people just never think before they say things...

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
look, I don't care what you think. Feel free to ignore me. That's what I do with comment I don't agree with.

It's hard not to say what he did to you when you say the same thing about every single episode.

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like an interesting ep. Cool way to bring Koyla back even if he isn't real.

g.o.d
July 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
It's hard not to say what he did to you when you say the same thing about every single episode.

it's not my fault that every episode is stupid. But I can be very positive, I liked Continuum:)

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
it's not my fault that every episode is stupid.
Just remember that is your opinion not everyones.
But I can be very positive, I liked Continuum:)
SOunds like we might actually agree on something! I havent seen it but I'm sure I'll like it.

g.o.d
July 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Just remember that is your opinion not everyones.
I'm well avare of that.

SOunds like we might actually agree on something! I havent seen it but I'm sure I'll like it.

you will. For me, it's thousand times better than AoT, which is quite strange because I don't like time travel episode and I was a big fan of the Ori story line:mad:

GoSpikey
July 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
How could you have seen "Continuum" already? Is it out yet?

g.o.d
July 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
How could you have seen "Continuum" already? Is it out yet?

it has leaked today...and it's a DVD rip

GoSpikey
July 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

GoSpikey
July 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not that I'll get it, I just ordered Ark for 15.99 euros online as well. :P

It's to complete my DVD collection, you see... :D

TBA
July 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Looks like our opnions are the opposite, g.o.d.... I hated Continuum and loved SGA s4&5!

SGFerrit
July 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
And I love both:)

Mitchell82
July 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM

Same here and I loved AoT as well.

Platschu
July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
We are off-topic, gaters. :sheppardanime21:

The story could be better, if the aliens from Home could return. ;)

Jumper_One
July 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Small update:

In the episode "Remnants," Woolsey is judged by the person who replaced him.

http://io9.com/5021267/stargate-atalantis-season-5-new-aliens-and-cameos

Mr. Coolidge?

me too :D

GoSpikey
July 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I asked a while ago if Mr Coolidge came back, the answer was "nope, sorry".

Jumper_One
July 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I asked a while ago if Mr Coolidge came back, the answer was "nope, sorry".

ok thanks :) I guess it's someone else

PG15
July 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, if that was before all the episodes were thought up, then it's possible that things have changed since then.

PG15
July 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Update:

Is Woolsey going to be loosening up as this character arc and be less by the book as the season goes on?

Joseph Mallozzi: Well I mean, you kind of answered that question with regard to Episode 2 where - I mean, he comes in and he’s essentially appointed because he is a by the book guy and someone who the IOA feels they can trust to follow protocol.

And in his very first, crisis situation in Episode 2 called The Seed, he throws the playbook out the window and quickly realizes that in the Pegasus Galaxy, you can’t just follow protocol in order to save lives and really make the right decision.

You really have to react as a situation dictates. You just kind of play it by ear and it’s like a little mini crisis for Woolsey at the episode’s end where he realizes he - rather than following protocol, he went against protocol.

And even though the situation worked out, that’s not the point because I mean, that he was not sent to the Pegasus Galaxy to just kind of play the cowboy.

And then over the course of the ensuing episodes, the lesson becomes even more obvious, when [Ronon] goes missing. And then it’ll eventually culminate in an episode call Remnants - Episode 16 -- we’re not yet up to 15 now – where over the course of most of the season, I mean, he did come in as an interim leader.

Over the course of the scenes they begin to just kind of accept his as a new commander of the base. But then come Episode 15, he’s suddenly up for review and the IOA is not exactly pleased with his performance because he was sent in to, just in a sense, be a pit bull but he wasn’t following procedure and his job is at stake.
I kind of liken it to that first - the second episode that Bob referred to, Inauguration, where he played Kinsey’s pit bull and Kinsey sicked him on SG-1.

And he was more than happy to do his job so long as he thought he was doing the right thing. And then near the end of the episode, he realized, my gosh, I mean, I’m not doing the right thing.

And rather than just play along with Kinsey, he actually goes to see the President and comes clean with him. And that was our first step towards, I guess, rehabilitating the character and making him a character that ultimately the audience could sympathize with and grow to like. You can argue back and forth whether he’s leadership material, but I think, over the course of season five you’ll come to realize that he is leadership material even though maybe he doesn’t realize it himself.

---

Joe, what has been the toughest episode so far for you to write this season, would you say?

Joseph Mallozzi: Right now, the one I’m working on now, Remnants...which really is three different stories. I mean, there’s a story involving Sheppard on the mainland. There’s a story involving Woolsey and a potential love interest, in the midst of this probationary review that he’s undergoing that clearly is not - looks like it’s not going to go very well.

And then there’s a third story involving McKay and Zelenka that kind of explores a bit of their friendship or some would say non-existent friendship. But I mean, there’s still that mutual respect between the two.

When the - and it involves them discovering a device at the bottom of the ocean, just maybe a couple of hundred miles, , way from the city. It’s a script that jumps kind of back and forth between the three stories.

As things progress, they inevitably come together and you realize that the three seemingly unrelated stories are in fact connected in a very big way.

There are a couple of instances that- particularly with regard to Sheppard, I don’t want to give too much away.
Because I don’t even know what’s going to make it to screen. But it’s very dark with regard to the Sheppard story and there are a couple of instances that a couple of the writers, my fellow writers, balked at but a couple of other writers loved as well.

And I thought were very important to keep in the script that I’ll be interested to see what the network says when they read the script. Of all the scripts I think this one in particular has been particularly challenging. We’ll see what the network has to say and what the rewrite will look like.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/features/article_1415529.php/Robert_Picardo_and_Joe_Mallozzi_discuss_command_changes_on_Stargate_Atlantis?pag e=2

Carter1994
July 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ah, fascinating. Thanks, PG15!

PG15
July 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
You're welcome!

A mention:

Rose writes: “I’ve been reading your blog for close to a year now and I can’t help but notice that “Whispers” seems to be very close to your heart, more so than any of the other Atlantis episodes you’ve written. Am I wrong?”

Answer: Yes and no. Given the complexities of the episode (and because I had some free time), I made it a point to be on set throughout production so, in that respect, Whispers did garner more of my attention. I’m equally proud of Broken Ties however and, hopefully, I’ll be able to say the same for Remnants.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/july-8-2008-meals-musings-and-the-mailbag/

PG15
July 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Ooooo....

Meredith Woerner: My second question is, you know, Sheppard’s done a lot of character development already that I’m seeing. I want to know more about his character.

Are we going to delve more into the demons of his past? I know there was a big surprise and is any of that going to be coming back this year?

Joseph Mallozzi: Yeah, in fact, actually - I mean, like I said, in season four we wanted to do an episode where we spotlighted - you know, we shined the spotlight on each character.

We did pretty much the same thing in season five and the episode I’m writing now, Remnants, is like I mentioned, kind of a dark episode with three different elements.

And the Sheppard element kind of delves into his character and kind of asks the question - here’s a guy who, you know, he - basically he comes to the Pegasus Galaxy to protect people, you know - comes all the way over to another galaxy and, you know, risks his life sort of protecting people.

And, you know, there are instances where, you know, he’s not successful. I mean, he, you know, he lost, you know, Ford and he lost Weir. And you could argue whether, you know, it’s really his fault or not.

But at the end of the day, what drives a guy like that and, you know, he - and, you know, frankly is it a healthy thing that drives the guy? And that’s, you know, one of the questions that is positive in Remnants that is kind of thrown in Sheppard’s face that we kind of explore.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/07/09/conference-call-with-joseph-mallozzi-robert-picardo/

naamiaiset
July 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
you know, joe, he, you know, uses the words "you know" a lot. you know?

the "insight" into sheppard sounds okay, but I think some of the others characters could use it more than him.

Jumper_One
July 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Ooooo....

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/07/09/conference-call-with-joseph-mallozzi-robert-picardo/

sounds interesting

you know, joe, he, you know, uses the words "you know" a lot. you know?

the "insight" into sheppard sounds okay, but I think some of the others characters could use it more than him.

LOL indeed :P

PG15
July 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Uh huh...

Cheeky Lil Devil writes: “Thanks for keeping us up to date, I just hope, you know that Remnants will be everything we hope it is, because you know what the whumpers are like. You know especially how much we adore the character development. So any news on what the network said about some of the scenes?”

Answer: Well - y’know - we’re still on hiatus and I - well, y’know - just got the script in a little while ago so I expect notes - y’know - hopefully sometime before we start shooting.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/july-9-2008-liquorice-notes-with-honey-spice-cake-hints-redolent-of-tropical-fruits-and-spicy-flavors-with-an-undertone-of-gut-shank/

naamiaiset
July 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
from: tvaholic.com/2008/07/10/interview-with-robert-picardo-joseph-mallozzi-part-2-of-3/ (http://www.tvaholic.com/2008/07/10/interview-with-robert-picardo-joseph-mallozzi-of-stargate-atlantis-on-sci-fi-channel-part-2-of-3/)

Question: Oh that’s great to hear, excellent. And Joe, I just want to ask you a quick question. Writing-wise, what do you think has been toughest — because I’ve been keeping track of your blog as well — what maybe has been the toughest episode so far for you to write this season, would you say?

Joseph: Right now, the one I’m working on now, “Remnants”, which really is three different stories. I mean, there’s a story involving Sheppard on the mainland. There’s a story involving Woolsey and a potential love interest, you know, in the midst of this probationary review that he’s undergoing that clearly is not - looks like it’s not going to go very well.

And then there’s a third story involving McKay and Zelenka that kind of explores a bit of their friendship or, you know, some would say non-existent friendship. But I mean, there’s still that mutual respect between the two.

When the - and it involves them discovering a device at the bottom of the ocean, just maybe a couple of hundred miles, you know, way from the city. And, you know, this - it’s a script that jumps kind of back and forth between the three stories.

And, you know, as things progress, they inevitably come together and you realize that the three seemingly unrelated stories are in fact connected in a very big way.

And, you know, it’s - there are a couple of instances that- particularly with regard to Sheppard - I mean, I can’t - you know, I don’t want to give too much away.

Because, you know, I’m not - I don’t even know what’s going to make it to screen. But it’s very dark with regard to the Sheppard story and there are a couple of instances that a couple of the writers, my fellow writers, balked at but a couple of other writers loved as well.

And I thought were very important to keep in the script that, you know, I’ll be interested to see what the network says when they read the script. You know, it’s - you know, of all the scripts - I mean, every script is a challenge but I think this one in particular has been particularly challenging.

And, you know, we’ll see what the network has to say and what the rewrite will look like.

Q: Because I mean, how far are you guys into - how far are you into fifth season? Is it just the first ten or are you guys actually working on the back ten now?

Joseph: Now, we’re actually working on the back five. We prep Episode 15 when we come back, hopefully on schedule we’ll shoot 15 and then we’ll, you know, we’ll finish up those last four along with our big 100th episode which will fall 20 this year.

PG15
July 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Update:

Fun time’s over. It’s back to work for me tomorrow. And, by the looks of the prep schedule, it’s going to be a long day:

0900: Concept Meeting for Ep. #515 “Remnants”

1030: Prosthetics Meeting for Ep. #515, “Remnants”

1100: Art Department Meeting for Ep. #515, “Remnants”

1145: Props Meeting for Ep. #515, “Remnants”

1330: Costumes Meeting for Ep. #515, “Remnants”

1430: Casting Session for Ep. #515, “Remnants”

The VFX/Playback, Sunts/SPFX, and Extras Meetings are mercifully scheduled for Tuesday. Once they’re done, I’ll have the rest of the week and weekend to address the studio/network notes and any input from the other producers, the department heads, and the actors. After that, I’ll hand things off to multi-talented director Will Waring and it’ll be smoooooooooth sailing…up until I start on Project Twilight.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/july-13-2008-baron-destructos-investment-advice/

PG15
July 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Update:

Well, I was back at work today and, despite a full slate of meetings, it wasn’t so bad. Assistant A.D. and official Stargate curmudgeon paid me a rare compliment by telling me he actually liked the script! The Concept Meeting went smoothly and we followed up with a brief Prosthetics Meeting, ultimately deciding to use a combination of visual effects and practical movie magic for the forest sequence. The Art Department Meeting went well - until we got to the scenes in Woolsey’s quarters. Well, the first and only other time we’ve seen his quarters was in episode #3, Broken Ties, and it was a night scene that offered up a magical view of the city outside his bay window. Alas, those magical views don’t look quite as magical in the day time and so, rather than go with a projected image, we’re talking about making the view a visual effect. That would, of course, assure its magical quality - but at potentially great expense. We decided to table the discussion until tomorrow’s visual effects meeting but, in the end, I have a feeling we’ll be going with a combination of visual effects and creative camera angling on the part of wiz director Will Waring. Evil Kenny took us through the Props Meeting. We talked guns, vests, knives, and nasty machetes. The Costumes Meeting was also a breeze. It was t-shirt over long-sleeves, blood and bullet holes over none, and a military look for our guest star over his admittedly suave civilian look. After lunch, we had our casting session and checked out Kiangs, Libermans, soldiers, and Luthor Dovelocks.

Which took me to about 3:30 p.m., just in time for a double note session on my final draft of Remnants (for those of you wondering how I can make changes to a draft that has already been marked a final, check out this post: THE ULTIMATE EXTREME EXTRA SUPERFANTASTIC BEST LUCKY ULTRA NUMBER ONE FINAL FINAL DRAFT

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/march-10-2008/), and Marty G.’s first draft of Brain Storm.

It looks like a busy morning tomorrow. We’ll be kicking things off with a location scout (tentatively entitled A Production in Search of a Cliff), following up with the Visual Effects and Playback Meeting, the Stunts and SPFX Meeting and, finally, capping things off with the Extras Meeting. I’ll be sure to bring lots of chocolate.

PG15
July 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Update:

Thankfully, saner heads prevailed and the location scout initially scheduled for 7:15 a.m. this morning was moved to a much more bearable 8:00 a.m. The trip to Stokes Pitt took about 45 minutes and I spent the time chatting food with producer John G. Lenic, and catching up on my emails. [...]

In the meantime, however, it looks like I’ll be doing things the old-fashioned way - ie. dealing with people face to face. Like today, for instance, when the ten of us hopped out of the transport mini-van like circus clowns and checked out the site of Sheppard’s day in Hell eppy. We needed someplace to park the jumper, and then someplace that would serve as a proper cliff setting. Check and check. The first one will be easy. The latter will require a bit of imagination, a backhoe, an Art Department extension, and some green screen effects, but the ten foot drop-off we sized up should do the trick. We stood around, discussed, took measurements, stood around, traipsed through the forest, stood around, and then, once everyone was satisfied (for my part, I could have done with a little more standing around), we piled back into the clown car and headed back to the studio.

The prep schedule was juggled so that we had only one meeting today: Playback and VFX. For the playback portion, we discussed oscillating energy signatures, scrolling alien script (not to be confused with), and scrolling alien text (it scrolls the opposite direction to help differentiate). We moved on to visual effects and some discussion about that damn bay window in Woolsey’s quarters (what the hell was I thinking?), the visual depiction of physical damage, the scenic cafeteria view, stuns, muzzle flashes, beam downs, and the big reveal.

---

Alipeeps writes: “So, any news on how things are progressing in your anticipated fight to keep in the darker elements of the story? Were the network okay with the dark stuff or are you having to fight for it?”

Answer: We’ll find out tomorrow morning when we have our notes session.

There are also a few pics from the location scouting. That, the write-up above, and a video taken there can all be found here: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/july-15-2008-our-class-field-trip-unwelcome-bodies-discussion-and-the-mailbag/

PG15
July 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
More updates:

Today’s notes session on Remnants was long and involved but went very well. No requests to tone down or lose any of the key beats. Mainly requests for clarity and thematic reinforcement. We followed up with our final meetings of the week - 1) Stunts and SPFX in which we discussed squibs (What’s a squib? Look here: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/april-20-2008-my-squibbiest-post-ever/), ratchets, and a plethora of punches, 2) Make-Up, and 3) Extras.

One more casting session tomorrow afternoon in a bid to find our Kiang. Looks like I’ll be losing Lieberman and bringing back Parrish instead.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/july-16-2008-meetings-book-discussion-and-lazy-dogs/

So the Shep Whump stays. :D

PG15
July 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Small update...I think:

DLK writes: “Parrish coming back?”

Answer: And quite possibly in shorts!

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/17/july-17-2008-congratulations-to-our-vfx-crew-suggestions-for-this-years-crew-gift-jeff-carlsons-trailer-for-plague-war/

naamiaiset
July 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
parrish? he hasn't been around since S2.

PG15
July 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I didn't even know he was an old character until I read the blog comments.

naamiaiset
July 18th, 2008, 01:20 AM
he was in "runner" last.

TBA
July 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Thet Sheppard is on the mainland in the beginning of the episode is apparently because he wants to get laid. ... Nah, joke. He probably just wants to score a few brownie points with a young, female scientist - Dr. Kiang - he's escorting. When Dr. Lieberman, another scientist present on the little trip, exclaims in delight, the colonel gets a little twitchy as he storms through the forest with his gun out - merely to find the good doctor discovering a flower that no longer exists on Earth.
ETA: Strike Dr. Lieberman and say hello again to the good Dr. Parrish being back. Thank you to kimberlyfdr for pointing out to me that it was mentioned by Joe Mallozzi in a post to his blog.

Sheppard is, of course, much less ecstatic by the find than the good man, asking Kiang if she'd like to help him prepare their camp for the night. She declines.

On Atlantis, Woolsey an McKay have to decide what to do with the "seed carrier vessels," as it's either to take a look at the data or send it on its way. There's no 'and' in there, as, Rodney informs him.

Then there's another POV to the story: the I.O.A. sent someone to review Woolsey's work, and it looks like they are thinking about replacing him. It makes the whole deal of him seeing things--er people - hello, Dr. Conrad! - who ain't there a bit more complicated...

PuddleJumper42
July 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Parrish? Squee! Hopefully he'll be on screen longer this time.

(Me? Fangirl? Never. :P)

Rac80
July 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
as for this episode -
I don't know if I missed the discussion on Kolya coming back, but I really REALLY hate sga's "he's dead,no he's not, yes he is" trend! (that can be a she if you want! not politically correct here. :P ) we ahve had carson and elizabeth and now kolya... get over it people and let the dead rest in peace!

GoSpikey
July 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM

That's why I'd prefer not to see Ford back, and everybody else who's died in the past... It's getting ridiculous.

Ans who's Parrish again? Piccy link? :P

And edit: Kolya's a ghost, of course.