Wraith Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Feeding

I've watched Atlantis from the start, and much as I enjoy it, have they ever stated in the series that Wraith need to feed on humans specifically? Okay, the series wouldn't last long if the SGA team weren't protecting the Pegasus humans from life-sucking monsters, but surely an alternative food source would be a solution worth exploring in the series, especially since they're now starting to paint the Wraith as a semi-sympathetic enemy who have no choice but to do what they do?

Also, any pseudo-scientific theories on how the Wraith feeding works? I've got a loose idea based on a symbiotic bacteria injected by the Wraith that steals ATP, haemoglobin and calcium, and plucks mitochondria right out of the cells, incidentally damaging collagen as a byproduct (or maybe even intentionally), weakening the victim by lowering the energy available to the body, reducing the number of powerplants to make new ATP and creating the same general cosmetic effects of aging (I seem to remember most of the outward signs of aging are based on deteriorating collagen). That or they just suck the lifeforce out of you...
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Originally posted by Sealurk
    I've watched Atlantis from the start, and much as I enjoy it, have they ever stated in the series that Wraith need to feed on humans specifically? Okay, the series wouldn't last long if the SGA team weren't protecting the Pegasus humans from life-sucking monsters, but surely an alternative food source would be a solution worth exploring in the series, especially since they're now starting to paint the Wraith as a semi-sympathetic enemy who have no choice but to do what they do?
    There was recently a similar thread on this (so this might be merged into it), but we discussed many different aspects of their feeding. My personal feelings - based on what the show has shown so far - is that they can't feed on anything but humans - AND gain nutrition/sustenance.

Reasons:

1. Sheppard tried to feed Steve 'all sorts of living things', but nothing worked. Some suggest this is only because Steve was spoiled, and refused to feed on animals because they taste bad, but...

2. If Ellia could have fed on animals, she would have, since she hated Wraith feeding.

3. When Todd was starving in Miller's Crossing, why would Sheppard have allowed him to feed on a human IF he could feed on an animal, and survive? No way Sheppard would have sacrificed a human if he knew a Wraith could suck on a cow, or something. (A meal is a meal, even if it is an unsatisfactory one.)

4. With the Wraith's food supply being killed off, why would Todd be looking for ways to save said food supply (humans) - why wouldn't he just start feeding on animals - or start looking for a way to feed on animals - instead?

Right now, it seems they can only thrive/live/survive by feeding on humans.

I have been pestering Joe Mallozzi on his blog about finding a Wraith food alternative, without taking away the Wraith ability or desire to feed on humans (like a reformed alcoholic still craves a drink, but resists). JM replied to me, saying that there will be 'interesting developments in S5, one that I (personally) will be particularly interested in.' Now - he didn't specifically say that it had to do with Wraith feeding (though that was the question he was addressing) - or with Todd (who he knows I like) - but MAYBE it will have something to do with feeding...I certainly can't wait, either way!

Also, any pseudo-scientific theories on how the Wraith feeding works? I've got a loose idea based on a symbiotic bacteria injected by the Wraith that steals ATP, haemoglobin and calcium, and plucks mitochondria right out of the cells, incidentally damaging collagen as a byproduct (or maybe even intentionally), weakening the victim by lowering the energy available to the body, reducing the number of powerplants to make new ATP and creating the same general cosmetic effects of aging (I seem to remember most of the outward signs of aging are based on deteriorating collagen). That or they just suck the lifeforce out of you...
    LOL...I'll go with either theory! I don't know if TPTB even know how it's done - it's a mystery, like the Trinity...and Spam...

But your idea sounds good. How it works - I don't even dare to imagine - but to me, it's like they take the person's essence...their energy, their fluids, their feelings - and it's been hinted at - their thoughts/memories. Would be fun to learn that every human continues to live on in the Wraith, so that everytime a Wraith is killed, ultimately so is every human they ever fed upon. But that's a totally 'out-there' concept, just fun to think about...

das
    sigpic

Comment

Well, when you describe it like that...it makes perfect sense! Maybe I'm just one of those 'but have they actually SAID it?' people. It's a curse, trust me.

I had forgotten Sheppard trying to feed Steve other lifeforms. And I suppose they would probably have tried it by now (I can imagine the cold looks from Teyla and Ronon when somebody suggests it). So whatever the Wraith need from us (whether lifeforce or actual, physical 'stuff'...'stuff' probably being preferable when filling in the gaping holes left by a 5.7mm P90 round) is only available in humans..or something human-like. On a purely hypothetical note...has McKay ever suggested offering a chimp to a Wraith?
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Well, when you describe it like that...it makes perfect sense! Maybe I'm just one of those 'but have they actually SAID it?' people. It's a curse, trust me.

I had forgotten Sheppard trying to feed Steve other lifeforms. And I suppose they would probably have tried it by now (I can imagine the cold looks from Teyla and Ronon when somebody suggests it). So whatever the Wraith need from us (whether lifeforce or actual, physical 'stuff'...'stuff' probably being preferable when filling in the gaping holes left by a 5.7mm P90 round) is only available in humans..or something human-like. On a purely hypothetical note...has McKay ever suggested offering a chimp to a Wraith?
        Never heard them suggest a chimp...but...

some additional thoughts...

Some have suggested that if a Wraith does find a way to feed on something else, they may lose their longevity. It may be that human life force gives them everlasting life as long as they feed on them. This would make sense.

Some have wondered if a Wraith would absorb animal DNA if they fed on an animal, thus transforming them into something less human-like. This may be an undesirable side effect from feeding on other things, and may be why they reject it.

It would be interesting to see Sheppard's reaction if he was to learn that Todd COULD have feed on an animal, instead of Wallace...I can just hear Mr. Whiny now...

Sheppard (furious): "Why didn't you tell me you could suck on a cow?!?"

Todd: "You did not ask."

Shep: "That's not the point!"

Todd: "You were agreeable to providing me with a more satisfactory meal, why should I have settled for less?"

Shep: "I sent a man to his death when I didn't have to!"

Todd (smiles slyly): "And I will forever be grateful to you for your generosity. Of course, he did not satisfy my hunger quite like you did..." (cocks his head to the side and leers at Sheppard)

Shep (screwing up his face): "Aww, now you're just creepin' me out..."

das
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
          Never heard them suggest a chimp...but...

some additional thoughts...

Some have suggested that if a Wraith does find a way to feed on something else, they may lose their longevity. It may be that human life force gives them everlasting life as long as they feed on them. This would make sense.

Some have wondered if a Wraith would absorb animal DNA if they fed on an animal, thus transforming them into something less human-like. This may be an undesirable side effect from feeding on other things, and may be why they reject it.

It would be interesting to see Sheppard's reaction if he was to learn that Todd COULD have feed on an animal, instead of Wallace...I can just hear Mr. Whiny now...

Sheppard (furious): "Why didn't you tell me you could suck on a cow?!?"

Todd: "You did not ask."

Shep: "That's not the point!"

Todd: "You were agreeable to providing me with a more satisfactory meal, why should I have settled for less?"

Shep: "I sent a man to his death when I didn't have to!"

Todd (smiles slyly): "And I will forever be grateful to you for your generosity. Of course, he did not satisfy my hunger quite like you did..." (cocks his head to the side and leers at Sheppard)

Shep (screwing up his face): "Aww, now you're just creepin' me out..."

das
          The worst part is, that sounds perfectly like how it would go...
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

That sounds eerily accurate...

No, McKay's never suggested offering chimps to the Wraith to my knowledge, my reasoning was simply a) chimps being the closest related species to humans with very little genetic difference, I wondered if the Wraith may get the same benefit from our jungle cousins and b) it sounds like something McKay would do. After all, he did suggest taking the ZPM from the planet with all the kids because it would benefit the expedition more. And I think there have been other occasions, I just can't remember them.

The fact that the Wraith have absorbed human DNA over thousands of years definitely suggests there is at least a physical component to the feeding process, i.e. the Wraith actively remove something tangible from the victim / meal, not just some metaphysical energy.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X