This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis - A strategical consideration

Atlantis is a VERY important asset to Earth. Not only does it host a whole wealth of information but has excellent defences that would be of great use against any offensives against earth. Even though the Ori are gone, there are still risks.

I appreciate that the concept of moving Atlantis to earth has been discussed before, but here's a new angle. The reason for leaving Atlantis in PG was always because of the fact that we owed a debt to the inhabitants by awakening the Wraith. That's fair enough. But how does Atlantis benefit the Pegasus Galaxy? It doesn't, all it does is provide Jumpers and a cloakable, shielded base.

If Atlantis were to be moved to earth, allowing for greater defensive capabilities and much more readiable study, Earth could set up an Alpha site style base in the pegasus galaxy. Not only would this completely remove the ZPM requirement of a PG outpost, but would allow for greater concealment. Futhermore, if the outpost was taken or destroyed there'd be less of a loss than if Atlantis was taken or destroyed.

Offworld outposts are no longer as mediocre as the first Alpha site, they're legitimate Stargate Commands in their own right.

And bearing in mind the Antarctic outpost is running low on drones, it would not only lift the burden, but also free up a ZPM for further use in Atlantis.

What do people think?
    Last edited by Flyboy; 23 August 2008, 08:06 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I think that even if they wanted to bring Atlantis to Earth they couldn't simply cos they don't have 3 ZPMs to fly it. They wouldn't have enough power to make an intergalactic trip. It was a struggle to get it across a short expanse of the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

They were trying to make Atlantis fly with one half used ZPM. We have three ZPMs in the Gateverse, on on a ship, one in Antarctica, and one in Atlantis, just temporarily shift them all to Atlantis, and bingo.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davecs View Post
        I think that even if they wanted to bring Atlantis to Earth they couldn't simply cos they don't have 3 ZPMs to fly it. They wouldn't have enough power to make an intergalactic trip. It was a struggle to get it across a short expanse of the Pegasus galaxy.
        If ZPMs are the only thing stopping them, they can just borrow Odyssey's and the Antarctic Outpost ZPMs. That makes three reasonably charged ZPMs.

But, that can't be allowed to happen anyway.
        It's called Stargate Atlantis after all.....how can they remove Atlantis from the show?

What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
        Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

I think the Stargate Programme would have to be revealed to the public first; you can't just hide a City the size of Atlantis, even in the Antarctic, without people spotting it, with the amount of Satellites around now-a-days. Also, the danger that the possible technology there could bring to Earth- just think if the Hotzone virus or that Shadow Creature were released into the Earth's populace?

I think it would be a good idea to move Atlantis to the Milky Way, seeing as there are practically no advanced races in Pegasus that aren't hostile, but position it outside of our Solar System- Heliopolis? Abydos? (or was it the entire planet that was destroyed, I don't remember) Somewhere near Earth, but not actually on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Voxyn View Post
            It's called Stargate Atlantis after all.....how can they remove Atlantis from the show?

Simple: just set the adventures of the Atlantis crew in the Milky Way and not the Pegasus Galaxy.

That said, while it's an interesting concept, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Comment

what about the moon, there it can still hit enemies, but not poison the population(than again, there is the problem of air, but we know the doors of atlantis are airtight)

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
                what about the moon, there it can still hit enemies, but not poison the population(than again, there is the problem of air, but we know the doors of atlantis are airtight)
                I was thinking of the Darkside of the Moon; but the lack of air worried me, the doors don't seem pretty heavy, a single shot looks like it could break them, and then you're pretty much screwed until some forcefields come-online. (Do they have emergency forcefields like Star Trek?) Also the temperature would be an issue, but I suppose Atlantis is regulated somehow.

NASA would be pretty pissed. I'm surprised it's still around in the Stargate-Universe. Maybe it's only a front to continue funding it, when it's actually being diverted into Stargate Operations?

Comment

Atlantis has his on air reserve & it's on gravity. So that's not the problem. Good point
                  The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
                  Spoiler:
                  Originally posted by Karhedron
                  I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                    Atlantis is a VERY important asset to Earth. Not only does it host a whole wealth of information but has excellent defences that would be of great use against any offensives against earth. Even though the Ori are gone, there are still risks.

I appreciate that the concept of moving Atlantis to earth has been discussed before, but here's a new angle. The reason for leaving Atlantis in PG was always because of the fact that we owed a debt to the inhabitants by awakening the Wraith. That's fair enough. But how does Atlantis benefit the Pegasus Galaxy? It doesn't, all it does is provide Jumpers and a cloakable, shielded base.

If Atlantis were to be moved to earth, allowing for greater defensive capabilities and much more readiable study, Earth could set up an Alpha site style base in the pegasus galaxy. Not only would this completely remove the ZPD requirement of a PG outpost, but would allow for greater concealment. Futhermore, if the outpost was taken or destroyed there'd be less of a loss than if Atlantis was taken or destroyed.

Offworld outposts are no longer as mediocre as the first Alpha site, they're legitimate Stargate Commands in their own right.

And bearing in mind the Antarctic outpost is running low on drones, it would not only lift the burden, but also free up a ZPM for further use in Atlantis.

What do people think?
                    Even if the Ori and Replicators are gone, and the Wraith Michael and Guaould are not a threat anymore, there is no telling what horrible nightmare threat is elsewhere out there in the universe just waiting to jump out of the darkness and kill us all.

Atlantis could be the first line of defense with the 304s and the antartica outpost as the last line of defense.

Comment

I'm sure we'll never see it happen, but it would have a terrific homecoming feeling if Atlantis were to arrive back in Antarctica.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well originally it was supposed to take place in the MW until SG1 got signed to season 8.

I like it in the Pegasus galaxy though. You still get all the tech/research available to Earth scientists without any risk of danger to Earth. When the gate bridge was up it was almost the same as having another off world base.

Having it in Pegasus has also scored us some big stuff. We got multiple ZPMs from that galaxy, including the 2 currently defending Earth. I think they said they resupplied Earths drones with some from the Tower.

For earths purposes it would be a waste of resources moving it when you have access to all of its pros and no direct cons from moving it to our galaxy.

All we have to worry about is the Wraith in Pegasus now and in MW we still have Jaffa, Lucien Alliance, some Goa'uld, who knows what else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                          I think the Stargate Programme would have to be revealed to the public first; you can't just hide a City the size of Atlantis, even in the Antarctic, without people spotting it, with the amount of Satellites around now-a-days. Also, the danger that the possible technology there could bring to Earth- just think if the Hotzone virus or that Shadow Creature were released into the Earth's populace?
                          Cloak it?

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I'm sure we'll never see it happen, but it would have a terrific homecoming feeling if Atlantis were to arrive back in Antarctica.
                          QFT

Comment

well, if Atlantis is ended i hope the last e[isode is about atlantis making peace with the majority of the wraith who now use cows as a foodsource, and us evacuating all humans and atlantis to the milkyway, but on the way we are attacked by the last ermaining wriath uman-eaters

Comment

well, if Atlantis is ended i hope the last e[isode is about atlantis making peace with the majority of the wraith who now use cows as a foodsource, and us evacuating all humans and atlantis to the milkyway, but on the way we are attacked by the last ermaining wriath uman-eaters
                              No offense, but I'll throw away my series-worth of DVDs if that's how it ends.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X