This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure Goa'uld dialects

This has happened several times starting with "Brief Candle" in the temple of Argos Teal'c IDed Linear A (i think) as a Goa'uld dialect. In the middle of a situation an alien text is discovered to be both an "obscure Goa'uld dialect" and a known language on Earth. Would it not be prudent for someone, at some time to show either Teal'c or some of their later allies some samples of known languages on Earth so that they could identify some of the "obscure dialects" beforehand?
    Last edited by KorbenDirewolf; 07 May 2004, 12:06 AM.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Yes it probably would be. I reckon they tried to do, but Teal'c was feeling lazy and kept saying he'd do it tomorrow...
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Must be...
      The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I think the general consensus is the Abydonian language is an offshoot of Goa'uld dialect. considering words like "na-nay" are used by the Goa'uld ("Within the Serpent's Grasp"), and Teal'c is able to translate Abydonian ("Full Circle").

Comment

That may be, but from what little I know Linear A (from Brief Candle) is nothing remotely similar to Goa'uld/Abydonian/Egyptian. Oh well.. I guess its just a writers device so they can use other languages in the future. Such as the text that had to do with Telchac, which was, I believe an Amerind (Aztec/Mayan, somewhere around there) dialect.

Comment

Maybe he just couldn't be bothered?

Comment

He couldda thought he was in a time loop and had 3 months to learn and help translate?

Comment

Maybe it was written in a secret code?
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Or a Goa'uld version of Pig-latin... Pig-Goa'uld maybe.

"Jaygafayga, Kraygee!"

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
                    Or a Goa'uld version of Pig-latin... Pig-Goa'uld maybe.

"Jaygafayga, Kraygee!"
                    ROFL...That would make a great subplot for an ep.
                    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Heheheheee,

Jacob/Selmak: "Daniel, can you speak in a Goa'uld dialect?"
                      Daniel: "... sure..."
                      Jacob/Selmak: "Good, keeep them distracted!"
                      Daniel: "AygI aygam thayge greygate aygand paygowaygerfaygul aygOz!"

Comment

Heheheheee,

Jacob/Selmak: "Daniel, can you speak in a Goa'uld dialect?"
                        Daniel: "... sure..."
                        Jacob/Selmak: "Good, keeep them distracted!"
                        Daniel: "AygI aygam thayge greygate aygand paygowaygerfaygul aygOz!"
                        Whoah, thank you, I'm supposed to fill in my tax forms and you made me snort into my coffee.... *ROTFL*

I've always wondered why the language that the Goa'uld speak in the series is nothing like the reconstructed Ancient Egyptian of the film...but probably they just couldn't be bothered to hire an Egyptologist *grumble*.....*I* would have done it.....

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                        Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                        ~CELLO!~
                        ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Glad to make you snort Isky. Yeah, I've always wondered how they speak English, seeing as they've never taken an english speaking host before. It's kinda... odd... The only explination I could think of is that Daniel taught the Abydonians and some of them got taken as hosts before Jack and co arrived in CoTG. But surely Jackson would've mentioned something? I don't know *goes into deepth thought now*

Comment

Glad to make you snort Isky. Yeah, I've always wondered how they speak English, seeing as they've never taken an english speaking host before. It's kinda... odd... The only explination I could think of is that Daniel taught the Abydonians and some of them got taken as hosts before Jack and co arrived in CoTG. But surely Jackson would've mentioned something? I don't know *goes into deepth thought now*
                            Magnets.
                            Last edited by Mio; 31 May 2004, 06:11 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

The magic of television?

Comment

Working...
                              X