A few questions about Ark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about Ark

I finally rented it and was somewhat disappointed. Not that itwas bad but I just expected more. With all the extra money, the special effects wwere bigger but that was all. No bigger cast, not a lot more special effects, and the story was just the normal tv eppy. Nothing that could not have shown up on any Friday night episode. Can the fans help me with the following in case I missed something?

1. Very few loose ends were tied up. The team was going on another mission just like old times but there will be no more missions. Continuum is totally different and the 3rd series will have completely different characters and mission.
    2. Where did the replicators come from, I thought they had been wipped out, several times?
    3. Was I the only one to think the ancient weapon ending was very "Dues-ex-machina"?
    4. Vala and Hubby. What happened? She was forced to marry him, they had never made love, She loved Daniel (one eppy they had lived as man and wife for years even though it was later wiped out by a plot ploy, it still happened) , he was not the father of her child, and she treated him as a stray dog, yet at the end; she was sitting on his bed saying that we can work it out. Did that mean she accepted him as her man? If so, IMHO it is just another example of Stargate going to any lengths to keep a relationship out of the show.

Deus ex machina? Nothing about the use of the Ark fits that term, SG1 were searching for the ark since the beginning of the movie which completely negates it's use being 'deus ex machina'...

In modern terms the deus ex machina has also come to describe a being, object or event that suddenly appears and solves a seemingly insoluble difficulty, where the author has "painted the characters into a corner" that they can't easily be extricated from (e.g. the cavalry unexpectedly coming to the rescue, or James Bond using a gadget that just so happens to be perfectly suited to the needs of the situation).

Comment

the ending was the way it was planned, an open door for future movies and what else is planned.

the replicators i believe were wiped out but the one in the ark of truth was made by the nid from research done on previous ones.

vala's marriage in the ori world was a way to get to adra and bring that character into the storyline. any feelings or not for tomin was what developed in the story.

the movie was to complete/finish a story arc of the ori in series season 10 and leave the door open for future stories. it was not meant to tie all ends up and put a conclusion to sg1.

Comment

Originally posted by masterblaster View Post
        1. Very few loose ends were tied up. The team was going on another mission just like old times but there will be no more missions. Continuum is totally different and the 3rd series will have completely different characters and mission.
        It tied up the whole Ori storyline which was what was intended...just because the Ori are defeated doesnt mean the SGC would shutdown, as seen with the time between the defeat of the Goa'uld and the introduction of the Ori

2. Where did the replicators come from, I thought they had been wipped out, several times?
        They were, in the story an IOA rep created it using the Asgard Core to wipe out the Ori fleets

3. Was I the only one to think the ancient weapon ending was very "Dues-ex-machina"?
        No you aren't...but that does not make it so

4. Vala and Hubby. What happened? She was forced to marry him, they had never made love, She loved Daniel (one eppy they had lived as man and wife for years even though it was later wiped out by a plot ploy, it still happened) , he was not the father of her child, and she treated him as a stray dog, yet at the end; she was sitting on his bed saying that we can work it out. Did that mean she accepted him as her man? If so, IMHO it is just another example of Stargate going to any lengths to keep a relationship out of the show.
        Yes she was forced to marry him, but they obviously had made love for tomin to believe that the child was his until the Prior told him otherwise. She had said that she deeply cared for him many times during the series

Comment

And clearly Vala had been intimate w/ Tomin while they lived together because he thinks that he fathered Adria. Then when the Prior informs him that he had been impotent, he is visibly upset and believes that Vala had cheated on him. Therefore he must have thought Adria was his child, which, unless sex ed classes over there are really bad, implies that he had slept w/ Vala.

Comment

yeah the reps were made using the matter thingymabob in the asgard core, probably based on asgard research, but with base code altered by the IOA.

and i thought the Ark bit was awesome.

my main quandry is why it was ever created.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              yeah the reps were made using the matter thingymabob in the asgard core, probably based on asgard research, but with base code altered by the IOA.

and i thought the Ark bit was awesome.

my main quandry is why it was ever created.
              would not be the first time an ancient made something and then got refused permission to use it. Janus in Before I Sleep springs to mind
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                would not be the first time an ancient made something and then got refused permission to use it. Janus in Before I Sleep springs to mind
                that wasn't my point, what i meant was that it kind of implied the ori already had followers and stuff before the ancients left that galaxy, implying they were already ascended. but they never said that outright, and had always made it seem like both factions attained ascension at similar times.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

I read it more as a situation akin to the Spanish Inquisition. The Ori - akin to the Catholic Church in days gone by, were growing in power and influence, anyone loike the Alterans were heretics and killed. The alterans felt the need to open the peoples' eyes to the fact that Origin wasn't right so that the Ori "church" lacked support, but eventually refused to use their own creation. When the Ori ascended they took Origin further, but the Ark still worked as essentially, with the Ori gone, the problem returned to the way it was before.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I finally rented it and was somewhat disappointed.
                    First off why are you renting? You should be buying buying and buying!!! Now thats out of the way...

Not that itwas bad but I just expected more. With all the extra money, the special effects wwere bigger but that was all. No bigger cast, not a lot more special effects, and the story was just the normal tv eppy. Nothing that could not have shown up on any Friday night episode. Can the fans help me with the following in case I missed something?

Why would there be no more missions? There is so much more to explore out there, and now they can since the Ori are eliminated.

As stated before, the replicators are wiped out as far as we know, but the blueprint of them was obviousely stored in the Asgard core since it contains all there knowledge. The crystal was just a program to make one with our there inate flaw of falling to dust after getting hit by an ARG pulse.

No. But I liked the ending.

She deeply cared for Tomin and they must have slept together or he never would have thought the baby was his. She married him hoping that the timing was close enough to make him think that it was his too, since having err you know is out of the question apparently in Origin if you are not married.

All in all if you are a true Stargate fan, support it. Like I supported season 8 ......oh the horror.
                    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Working...
                    X