This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many shiops?

Anyone else think the mass of ships in the trailer is over doing it? In the trailer it shows hundreds of mother ships.. i mean Anubis only had a handful when he decided to attack Earth.

Hell no, the more ships the better...

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmatel View Post
      Hell no, the more ships the better...
      Exactly. Ba'al doesn't have the Ancient-augmented ships that Anubis has at his disposal, and certainly not the invincible Kull warriors to crush Earthican resistance. As such, Ba'al needs more troops and more ships to bring the hammer down on us, and he'll need even more if he plans on successfully occupying the planet for any length of time.

It always irked me that Apophis thought he could subjugate Earth with a measly two old-school Ha'taks and a few thousand Jaffa. Seriously, how did he expect to make any inroads after landfall when the human population outnumbers his own forces 10,000 to 1? How the hell would he have set up an occupying force? The only he could have actually conquered Earth would have been to wipe out chunks of the population (on the order of, for instance, Japan) to show everyone he meant serious business. But even then, you can only push a population so far.

In all, if anything Ba'al's fleet is too small. You'd need tens of millions of trained soldiers, supported by millions more, to mount a successful invasion of Earth. At least. To guarantee success, one needs to follow the Toclafane school of thought; one troop for every member of the population.
      Last edited by Mefusta; 26 April 2008, 11:56 PM.
      Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
      Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
      Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
      - Serenity

Comment

Nope

Ba'al would have changed a few more things than just
        Spoiler:
        stealing and hiding our gate when he went back in time. I presume he would have used his knowledge to overthrow the other system lords and become supreme commander of the galaxy, hence, all the ships
        But thats just my spec on the issue. Plus, I love ships
        sigpic
        By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
          Anyone else think the mass of ships in the trailer is over doing it? In the trailer it shows hundreds of mother ships.. i mean Anubis only had a handful when he decided to attack Earth.
          What is a shiop?

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta View Post
            It always irked me that Apophis thought he could subjugate Earth with a measly two old-school Ha'taks and a few thousand Jaffa. Seriously, how did he expect to make any inroads after landfall when the human population outnumbers his own forces 10,000 to 1? How the hell would he have set up an occupying force? The only he could have actually conquered Earth would have been to wipe out chunks of the population (on the order of, for instance, Japan) to show everyone he meant serious business. But even then, you can only push a population so far.
            I always felt that way too, whenever they showed a "fleet" of Hatak it only ever consisted of 2 or 3 ships, even Anubis only took a dozen ships to attack earth.

The only reason I accepted Apophis' fleet is for 2 reasons

1) He didn't realise how many people there were, afterall most worlds have a small population centred around the stargate
            2) In There But By The Grace Of God Apophis wasnt taking over the planet, he was actively wiping out massive amount of the civilisation. Also you have to remember, back then the goauld weapons had the power of uber big nukes, but for some reason they got less powerful over the years

Comment

Anubis took over 30 ships to attack Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                Anubis took over 30 ships to attack Earth.
                Which, counting his upgraded Ha'taks and Kull Warriors, is easily the equivalent of Ba'al's fleet seen in the trailer.

Long story short, Earth is boned.
                Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                - Serenity

Comment

You can never have too many Ha'taks.

Comment

There's a lot to consider.

First is that the Gao'uld are big fans of the Tarkin doctrine: rule through the fear of force rather than its use. I think that- to Apophis- once Earth realized they were screwed, they'd bow down.

Second, and more relevant, is that the Goa'uld aren't even used to conquering planets. They fight amongst themselves, and when Ba'al chases Amaterasu away from a planet, the populance wises up and simply switches allegiance. No mess, no fuss. They're already slaves, its just a name change. Earth in this regard is a whole nother ball game.

Comment

i think that in continuum, with baal's knowledge[he most likely took some of his own s10 tech back in time], he could easily have taken the same position as ra: supreme system lord. he then gathers a massive fleet, wich a supreme system lord can do easily, then heads to earth.

cant wait to see the biggest fleet ever seen in stargate history!

Comment

Why are people assuming the ha'taks in the trailer haven't got anubis' upgrades? Ba'al has recreated Anubis' mothership, I'm sure he could upgrade all those ha'tak, that is likely how he got that powerful to start with, using his advanced knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                          Why are people assuming the ha'taks in the trailer haven't got anubis' upgrades? Ba'al has recreated Anubis' mothership, I'm sure he could upgrade all those ha'tak, that is likely how he got that powerful to start with, using his advanced knowledge.
                          Well it looks more like Aphophis's mother ship it doesn't have that big super weapon look that Anubis's had. Ba'al's ships will have another advantage which is we don't have any ships to fight back with in this timeline so his ships will have a massive advantage over us.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by NIKIN View Post
                            I always felt that way too, whenever they showed a "fleet" of Hatak it only ever consisted of 2 or 3 ships, even Anubis only took a dozen ships to attack earth.

The only reason I accepted Apophis' fleet is for 2 reasons

1) He didn't realise how many people there were, afterall most worlds have a small population centred around the stargate
                            2) In There But By The Grace Of God Apophis wasnt taking over the planet, he was actively wiping out massive amount of the civilisation. Also you have to remember, back then the goauld weapons had the power of uber big nukes, but for some reason they got less powerful over the years
                            There weapons didn't loose strength we just developed tech eventually that evened the field. Also you forget that in seasons 1-3 we didn't have anything to combat the ships yet so they easily could take us with a small fleet.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

not to mention cloning abilities and asgard beaming, replicator modifications, dakara weapon

he has knowledge of atlantis through the trust, possible he could get his hands on a zpm the one camulus found then booby trapped since he totured him when sgc gave him up

kull warriors possible, its possible he could of killed the goauld anubis before he could ascend but then again baal wasnt in his era but then again i could be wrong

with those he could easily become supreme system, take over earth with the other system lords to bring in their ships

to make things easier why couldnt baal just go back in time and use the dakara device just before earth buried it and wipe the whole planet clean.

cor goaulds a?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X