PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers! new ship name! NEW SHIP NAME

segaxgames
April 25th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Yeah, so I was doing some research, and I heard about a new ship that was going to be made. This ship will roll off the assembly line a little after the PHeonix. The ships name will be called: The Penelope! The captain will be a woman, and the ship crew will not be completely American. The captain will be British, and the crew will consist of Europeans.

What do you all think about this?

I heard that the directors will bring back the multi country fleet story line again. The Joint work of the Korolev and Odyessey failed, but what about this?

I would love to see a Phoenix and Penelope team up.

Oh and SGA will keep the Daedalus in Daedalus Variations

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah, there's a video of the new ship here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU).

wkw427
April 25th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Is it still Daedalus class?

thekillman
April 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM
is this a joke? the vid leads to rick roll

SGFerrit
April 25th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yeah, so I was doing some research, and I heard about a new ship that was going to be made. This ship will roll off the assembly line a little after the PHeonix. The ships name will be called: The Penelope! The captain will be a woman, and the ship crew will not be completely American. The captain will be British, and the crew will consist of Europeans.

I heard that the directors will bring back the multi country fleet story line again. The Joint work of the Korolev and Odyessey failed, but what about this?

Yeah? And where did you hear about it?

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM

I hope its true as the British have a proud naval history and even though they are in space i would imagine commanding a Battleship would have similarities with commanding a space ship.

Jeffala
April 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure I like the name.

The faithful wife of Odysseus whose main achievement was apparently avoiding re-marriage until he returned. Wow.

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I'm not sure I like the name.

The faithful wife of Odysseus whose main achievement was apparently avoiding re-marriage until he returned. Wow.

I have to agree. The British are so good at naming warships so why dont the writers pick a name from a Royal Navy battleship in WW2.

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I'm sorry, do people actually believe that this is in any way real? As if it isn't just something segaxgames made up... :rolleyes:

SGFerrit
April 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM
The British/Europeans SHOULD have a ship. But tptb seem to want to make it increasingly like the USA is the world, and evey one else is stupid/insignificant/doean't matter. That has to be my main gripe with tptb.

But that's for another thread.

Jeffala
April 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I'm sorry, do people actually believe that this is in any way real? As if it isn't just something segaxgames made up... :rolleyes:

Hopefully...

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
The British/Europeans SHOULD have a ship. But tptb seem to want to make it increasingly like the USA is the world, and evey one else is stupid/insignificant/doean't matter. That has to be my main gripe with tptb.

I agree 100%. I want other countries to not only have field units (people who go offworld) but also X304/X305 battleships.

Though i think it would be cool if each country had a different design to their X304/X305.

Cavil
April 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM
"Yeah, so I was doing some research, and I heard about a new ship that was going to be made. This ship will roll off the assembly line a little after the PHeonix. The ships name will be called: The Penelope!"

Ok first off, when and where did you find this information when you were 'researching'? I think this is fake, either something you made up or someone else made up. Penelope has to be one of the lamest names ever for a starship!

Also, where did you find the info that we'd keep the AU Daedalus? I dont think it makes much sense for the show to have TWO Daedalus', i assumed that it would either most likely blow up in some fashion in a fight or we will destroy it somehow.

wizz_kid_sid
April 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I agree 100%. I want other countries to not only have field units (people who go offworld) but also X304/X305 battleships.

Though i think it would be cool if each country had a different design to their X304/X305.

I totally agree with you!
I'm getting annoyed about seeing "U.S.S" on the side of the ships and even "USAF"
They should give a ship to Russians again, Britian, France and China. That way all of the IOA have their part in it =]

Vala_M
April 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
This has got to be fake, right?

Vala,

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I totally agree with you!
I'm getting annoyed about seeing "U.S.S" on the side of the ships and even "USAF"
They should give a ship to Russians again, Britian, France and China. That way all of the IOA have their part in it =]

They dont need to give those countries anything as all are capable of building the ships temselves (though i wouldnt give the plans to the Chinese). Even small countries in Scandinavia and countries like Japan, Australia and Germany all would have the capacity to build space ships (though it would take abit longer for some of them).

SGFerrit
April 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
They dont need to give those countries anything as all are capable of building the ships temselves (though i wouldnt give the plans to the Chinese). Even small countries in Scandinavia and countries like Japan, Australia and Germany all would have the capacity to build space ships (though it would take abit longer for some of them).

Yeah, I don't think we should just be given them. We should be able to build our own.

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I seriously doubt we'll ever see a British 304, or even a European one, I think the best we'll get are international ones under the command of the IOA.

Cameron Mitchel
April 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Why would TPTB want USA to be the world when they're in Canada? I think the problem is that they're keeping to much to the movie, where the US first opened the Stargate.

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Why would TPTB want USA to be the world when they're in Canada? I think the problem is that they're keeping to much to the movie, where the US first opened the Stargate.

Because it's made for an American audience.

clwaurie
April 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I think it would be a bad idea for britain to build its own 304, it took us 750 million pounds to build wembley stadium and it was 4 years behind the intial schedule. I don't think the 304 would ever be finished and would probably bankrupt us.

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think it would be a bad idea for britain to build its own 304, it took us 750 million pounds to build wembley stadium and it was 4 years behind the intial schedule. I don't think the 304 would ever be finished and would probably bankrupt us.

Wembley is wasn't built by the government though was it?

clwaurie
April 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think it was built with public money.

thekillman
April 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM
i dont get why stargate likes russia so much. they can spend their money better. europe has money.the euro in real life is worth 1.5 dollars.
so europe could make a 304. easily. but as the USA doesnt want to share tech, i think they should split it up.
the hull and superstructure could be built in europe. it wouldnt be more expensive: the trinium and naquahdah would be given by america. the ship itself would be built in europe, as the alien and more important components[reactor, engines, hyperdrive, shield generator, etc] would be america made, and shipped to europe via asgard beams.
in europe, it would take off.

why are alien components more expensive? well you need multiple sorts of components, circuits, crystals, and other important stuff. and alot of companies, to prevent the leaking of the SGC programm.
the hull and superstructure would be relatively cheap, as it would be like building a normal ship.
[you could also do it other way round: build it in america as hull components are beamed over].

europe could instruct every country to build a different part, completely avoiding any suspicion.

thekillman
April 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
and europe building the hull would also make them involved in the programm, without getting the advanced tech, something america wants

Constanza
April 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM

“Penelope”? It has to be a joke!
LOL!

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
i dont get why stargate likes russia so much.

The answer to that question is very simple, they don't like them at all. The Russians are basically target practice for the enemy, they always die. "The Tomb" anyone? "Lockdown"? The Korolev lasted about 2 seconds.

I like the idea of a British/EU ship but it needs to have a better name than "Penelope", and for the love of god let it last at least half a season before blowing it up.

jenks
April 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I always wonder why they portray Russia as powerful as they do, as if they're some sort of rival to the US. I'm not sure if history went differently in the SG universe or it's just because of the ignorance of the writers...

Flyboy
April 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I always wonder why they portray Russia as powerful as they do, as if they're some sort of rival to the US. I'm not sure if history went differently in the SG universe or it's just because of the ignorance of the writers...
I don't think they're showing Russia to be powerful, just politically cunning. Russia owns the gate which gives then leverage, when they have nothing else. I liked the fact China was getting more of a role in S9 & 10, it reflects the current political climate.

But if I recall, the gate was revealed to the UN P5 in Disclosure... I think the gate and all off world ops, including fleets shoud be put under control of a new, secret United Nations organisation, thus bypassing the ridiculous problems it has in the current world with dictators having more say than they should, but becoming truely international instead of US with some outsight oversight. I would argue that it should simply be a UN P5 operation... with all battleships bearing the UN Crest as well as those military officers and other ranks serving.

Cameron Mitchel
April 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't think they're showing Russia to be powerful, just politically cunning. Russia owns the gate which gives then leverage, when they have nothing else. I liked the fact China was getting more of a role in S9 & 10, it reflects the current political climate.

But if I recall, the gate was revealed to the UN P5 in Disclosure... I think the gate and all off world ops, including fleets shoud be put under control of a new, secret United Nations organisation, thus bypassing the ridiculous problems it has in the current world with dictators having more say than they should, but becoming truely international instead of US with some outsight oversight. I would argue that it should simply be a UN P5 operation... with all battleships bearing the UN Crest as well as those military officers and other ranks serving.
I agree. And, then, let's bring in the primary land force of each nation.For the US, this is the ARMY (not the Air Force, which has only one special forces infantry unit, which the SG teams aren't apart of).

Armada114
April 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Would be Great to get a British ship out there but that name is just not British
HMS Prince of Wales is more of a British name for a ship

as for getting the Tech, please go back to s10 e20 of sg1 and the Ark of Truth they now have the ability to make things with the Asguard transporter e.g the Replicator

but we can only hope we get a British or even a european ship

Integrabyte
April 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM

We already know who the Captain will be. Penelope Pitstop ;)

Flyboy
April 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
We already know who the Captain will be. Penelope Pitstop ;)
Here was me thinking of a Thunderbirds affiliate.

thekillman
April 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM
i prefer an european ship with a british commander over a UK ship. i hate it when 1 country gets everything. i hated that russia had the gate. cmon. we could farm some 47 gates or so. why not keep one ourselves and give the russians their gate!. get europe to help build 304's, wich with EU resources wouldnt be too hard. the alien tech could be made by US.

the computercore is too buisy being studied and making beam cannons. i dont think it can build much else, as it doesnt have time for it

marty2006
April 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Well as jenks said it wasnt built by the government and thats england alone not britain or europe.

name
April 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
hi and it would bankrupt us

thekillman
April 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
yea the uk. but did you ever hear of the EU?

marty2006
April 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
yea the uk. but did you ever hear of the EU?

Interesting sig.

Ltcolshepjumper
April 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM

First, there's been no confirmation that the Phoenix will make an appearance in the show. And research where?

Vala_M
April 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Obviously. But the Russians have had the plans for the F-302 and the BC-303 since 2002 and they've never made one ship yet, why?

Vala,

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Obviously. But the Russians have had the plans for the F-302 and the BC-303 since 2002 and they've never made one ship yet, why?

That is the question as we all know that Russia has a very high capacity of making combat materials so they should have made atleast 2 more X304's since their first one was destroyed.

KiLL3r
April 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
penelope? cmon you must be american to come up with such a stupid name for something british.

jelgate
April 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
penelope? cmon you must be american to come up with such a stupid name for something british.

Thats kind of insulting to Americans.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Thats kind of insulting to Americans.
He's British..... we're always insulting Americans :P

ETA: The name "Penelope" is insulting to Brits

ykickamoocow
April 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
He's British..... we're always insulting Americans :P

Its not just a British sport. The enntire western world enjoys it aswell. Come up with almost any topic (its easier if its political) and i can tell you why the US of A has a negative influence on it :D

thekillman
April 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Interesting sig.

* not getting your point *

Foley
April 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM

Has any one here watched the last eposide of sg1??(unending) The eposide were they got the asguard core... dont you think that they will use it to make new battleships... after all it would be cheaper and quicker.

thekillman
April 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
too big. too complicated. no matter how powerfull, it couldnt do it. the alien components could be made cheaper however

marty2006
April 26th, 2008, 03:47 AM
* not getting your point *

Lol, you're sig said you support good grammar, yet you started a sentence with but.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 26th, 2008, 03:49 AM
You started your sentence with "lol"...

Is ending one's sentences with ellipses considered bad grammar?

marty2006
April 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
You started your sentence with "lol"...

Is ending one's sentences with ellipses considered bad grammar?

I never declared to the public i supported good grammar or had good grammar for that matter.

GoSpikey
April 26th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Lol, you're sig said you support good grammar, yet you started a sentence with but.

Good grammar/spelling also includes using capitals to begin with, and a dot or something else to finish with. And no typo's of course.

'eight day' :mckay:

jenks
April 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Vala,

Because they don't have access to naquadah or trinium.

ykickamoocow
April 26th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Im sure the IOA would make sure that the Russians and any other nation which want Naquadah and Trinium get access to the gate so they can send mining teams all over the galaxy. The gate after all does belong to the Russians and other countries building X304's would be in everyones best interest.

jenks
April 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM
If the US doesn't want Russia to get trinium or naquadah then they won't do, the IOA only controls the gate because of their funding, I'm sure the US would rather lose the funding than surrender those sort of materials to Russia, and the IOA would know that.

ykickamoocow
April 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
If the US doesn't want Russia to get trinium or naquadah then they won't do, the IOA only controls the gate because of their funding, I'm sure the US would rather lose the funding than surrender those sort of materials to Russia, and the IOA would know that.

Except you forget that the Russians have already built their own X304 so that means they must have already used the gate to go to other planets to mine the materials.

jenks
April 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Except you forget that the Russians have already built their own X304 so that means they must have already used the gate to go to other planets to mine the materials.

They never built that, it was given to them by the US in exchange for their lease of the gate being extended.

ykickamoocow
April 26th, 2008, 06:27 AM
They never built that, it was given to them by the US in exchange for their lease of the gate being extended.

I'll have to take your word for it as i havent watched that particular episode in quite awhile.

In any case the USA would have no choice but to give other countries access to the gate as with all the countries that are aware of the gate they have alot of power not only could they introduce harsh economic laws against America but they could also reveal the existences of the Stargate programme to the entire world.

jenks
April 26th, 2008, 06:33 AM
So why haven't they? Every country would be clamoring over themselves to get their hands on a 304 if they could, so why haven't we seen any other than US ones?

ykickamoocow
April 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
So why haven't they? Every country would be clamoring over themselves to get their hands on a 304 if they could, so why haven't we seen any other than US ones?

They havent built the X304 because the writers havent written it. Assuming for a minute that the Stargate Universe is real then in reality most of the countries which are aware of the programme would have the technology and access to the gate as the countries which are aware are some of the most powerful in the world. They may not beable to defeat America in a military engagment (due to Asgard tech) but they could certainly cripple the United States economy.

Clearly the Stargate Universe isnt real but its still important for the writers to make it seem as real as possible but i find other countries reactions to the Stargate programme in the Stargate Universe to be very odd and unrealistic.

clwaurie
April 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Well as jenks said it wasnt built by the government and thats england alone not britain or europe.

I apologise to the scottish, welsh and northern irish, you are right its only the english that I meant to imply are inept. I never mention the europeans though, so feel no need to apologise to them.

I don't see though how it would add to the story to have 304's run by americas foreign allies, wouldn't it just be for the sake of it. And the suggest name is awful, can't they go with prometheus 2.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 AM
or how about "The Thor"? It's about time we named a ship after the asgard for a change

clwaurie
April 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM
The Thor is good, what about naming it after his hammer Mjolnir.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 26th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I have done anything on Vikings since year 3.... how is that pronounced?

SpaceCowboy
April 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I think that if the UK does have a 304, it should be named the HMS Margaret Thatcher. Everyone could call it the "Iron Lady" for short. :)

Fenrir Foxz
April 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I think that if the UK does have a 304, it should be named the HMS Margaret Thatcher. Everyone could call it the "Iron Lady" for short. :)

LOL :P

Vala_M
April 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Possibly. But I didn't think you needed Naqahdah for anything other than the power source.

Vala,

Mitchell82
April 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Vala,

Don't worry this is a joke.

thekillman
April 27th, 2008, 12:56 AM
i support good grammar. yet you dont have to write it 100% properly.
ending with a "." or not doesnt add to your story, unless you write a 2000 character story without them.

back to ships.
id love to see an EU 304. id love to see it. 304 made in europe, 302's made in europe. no stupid uk or french or german. uk and french and german and belgium and dutch and hungarian and spanish ETC. europe would work together. it would be stupid to let a country make their own ship. the EU would make it together. and america would probably trust the command to a UK commander, seeing their relations.

and ofcourse its a joke. if it wasnt, he/she/it/they wouldve posted the research, and arguments and proof. and the research would be defended. but it hasnt happened, so ofcourse its a joke. we all knew it immediatly. but we are discussing how it should be

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this ship (if it's real) is going to be lost in a friendly fire incident?

thekillman
April 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
why do i get the feeling it too will be destroyed soon?

jrd231
April 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Stargate SG1 and SGA are American shows, written for an American audience first. An American company named MGM owned Stargate and released the movie which spun-off the TV show. NBC, which is an American company, owns the Sci-Fi channel which airs the show.

I'm sorry all these AMERICAN companies don't bend over backwards to make England happy and write for their audience first. Maybe Doctor Who should focus on the UNITED STATES instead of ENGLAND. How arrogant.

Get a clue people. This show is tailored to the American public because it's an American show. The US/Russia dynamic is due to the fact that the United States and Russia went through what we refer to as the "Cold War" where they spent a decade of political posturing and fighting without actually physically fighting. It's the same way in the show, and it's done that way to parallel the relationship that the US had with Russia during the 1960's and 70's.

When Stargate becomes a show that is made for a European country FIRST, you'll start seeing writing that reflects it. Until then, you'll have to settle for the fact that you're watching an American show in your country.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Stargate SG1 and SGA are American shows, written for an American audience first. An American company named MGM owned Stargate and released the movie which spun-off the TV show. NBC, which is an American company, owns the Sci-Fi channel which airs the show.

I'm sorry all these AMERICAN companies don't bend over backwards to make England happy and write for their audience first. Maybe Doctor Who should focus on the UNITED STATES instead of ENGLAND. How arrogant.

Get a clue people. This show is tailored to the American public because it's an American show. The US/Russia dynamic is due to the fact that the United States and Russia went through what we refer to as the "Cold War" where they spent a decade of political posturing and fighting without actually physically fighting. It's the same way in the show, and it's done that way to parallel the relationship that the US had with Russia during the 1960's and 70's.

When Stargate becomes a show that is made for a European country FIRST, you'll start seeing writing that reflects it. Until then, you'll have to settle for the fact that you're watching an American show in your country.
^the cold war lasted from 1945 - 1991, not a decade.
Also most of the cast and crew are CANADIAN (you insist on putting the caps lock on for these things), but you're right in the fact it is made for AMERICA PRIMARILY. However, alot of SG-1 episodes have aired in th UK FIRST (basically the second half of every season from 2 onwards, excluding 9, have aired in the UK/Ireland first). And alot of Atlantis episodes have aired in Canada first.
Also the US has decsribed the UK as its closest ally, why wouldn't we be more involved? Not anything too much, just an English person with a believable english accent, and a ship that comes and goes from time to time.

ykickamoocow
April 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Also most of the cast and crew are CANADIAN (you insist on putting the caps lock on for these things), but you're right in the fact it is made for AMERICA PRIMARILY. However, alot of SG-1 episodes have aired in th UK FIRST (basically the second half of every season from 2 onwards, excluding 9, have aired in the UK/Ireland first). And alot of Atlantis episodes have aired in Canada first.
Also the US has decsribed the UK as its closest ally, why wouldn't we be more involved? Not anything too much, just an English person with a believable english accent, and a ship that comes and goes from time to time.

I wouldnt listen to that as the US says that about just about every country which the President of the USA happens to be in. I know they have said that about Australia on several occasions while afew weeks later saying the exact same thing to the UK.

Though it might be relivant that in recent times the USA has been more willing to share its most advanced military technology with countries like Australia compared to other countries as i think they think because we only have 21 million people that we are less of a threat than other countries with larger populations.

SGFerrit
April 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM

The whole US thing in Stargate takes the p*ss sometimes though. What has the UK got from it, especially considering they took all that stuff from the Ancient Cavern in OUR country, such as the phase tech that became very important at the end of season 10.
Atlantis is especially bad for this. It's supposed to be totally international. But then I guess it kind of reflects the American idea of international, a few token and expendable foreign characters, and maybe one important Canadian.

ykickamoocow
April 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Atlantis is especially bad for this. It's supposed to be totally international. But then I guess it kind of reflects the American idea of international, a few token and expendable foreign characters, and maybe one important Canadian.

They ditched the Scot and replaced him with another American. Also when i heard that Amanda Tapping had decided to leave i was really hoping that the new leader of Atlantis would be from another country (maybe Russian) but unfortunately they went for another American.

On another note if they didnt kill him wouldnt Colonel Chekov have been a great leader of Atlantis.

SGFerrit
April 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, someone from a country other than America would have been good. And ,on Atlantis we had English Peter Grodin who sacrificed himself to destroy one of the Hive Ships coming for Atlantis, one of the most heroic things done on Stargate. Yet another thing we have done to help the program, but again I don't believe we have anything to show for it.

As I have said before, it's pretty stupid. The Russians have gotten more out of the program than any country bar America, and they got it by being malicous and blackmailing the SGC/US. We gave the US the stuff from the Ancient cave and Peter Grodin gave his life to protect the expedition and Earth, but because we haven't used underhanded tactics we are left with little to nothing to show for it.

jrd231
April 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Ok, from 1945 to 1991. I stand corrected. None of this matters, though. It doesn't matter that it airs in the UK before the US. That's SCI FI's decision. My point still stands, that this is an American show written for the American audience. It makes no difference where's it's filmed or where the cast is from. It's a show written for the US first. Expect it to position the US as the best. That's what I would expect from a show written for UK audiences first.

I think some people on this forum get the real world mixed up with the Stargate universe. Finding treasures in England on the show and SGA being an international expedition aren't real. None of the Stargate canon is REAL. Just because they found a fictional ancient device in England doesn't mean that the show writers are writing with UK viewers in mind, or that you're entitled to have them do so. They just needed another angle to tie the story line into an ancient culture. The bottom line is that the show is produced primarily for the UNITED STATES (yes, the CAPS indicate an EMPHASIS.) People think that because made up characters in a made up world found things in their country that their entitled to something in the real world.

Separate reality from fiction people, and try living in the real world for a few minutes.

Repli!kat
April 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Separate reality from fiction people, and try living in the real world for a few minutes.

No, thank you. :)

jrd231
April 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
No, thank you. :)

Fair enough.

SGFerrit
April 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Ok, from 1945 to 1991. I stand corrected. None of this matters, though. It doesn't matter that it airs in the UK before the US. That's SCI FI's decision. My point still stands, that this is an American show written for the American audience. It makes no difference where's it's filmed or where the cast is from. It's a show written for the US first. Expect it to position the US as the best. That's what I would expect from a show written for UK audiences first.

I think some people on this forum get the real world mixed up with the Stargate universe. Finding treasures in England on the show and SGA being an international expedition aren't real. None of the Stargate canon is REAL. Just because they found a fictional ancient device in England doesn't mean that the show writers are writing with UK viewers in mind, or that you're entitled to have them do so. They just needed another angle to tie the story line into an ancient culture. The bottom line is that the show is produced primarily for the UNITED STATES (yes, the CAPS indicate an EMPHASIS.) People think that because made up characters in a made up world found things in their country that their entitled to something in the real world.

I don't see it as wanting something in the real world. I see it as the show being more realistic. And adding more countries into the mix after they have been helpful towards the program makes it not only more realistic, but also more interesting. And I don't think American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper International expedition, they want to add more recurring characters, why can't they add more foreign recurring characters, English, Russian, Australian, whatever.

jrd231
April 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I don't see it as wanting something in the real world. I see it as the show being more realistic. And adding more countries into the mix after they have been helpful towards the program makes it not only more realistic, but also more interesting. And I don't think American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper International expedition, they want to add more recurring characters, why can't they add more foreign recurring characters, English, Russian, Australian, whatever.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting a more diverse cast or adding characters from different countries, but people act like because SG1 found Ancient artifacts in England the writers somehow owe them something in the form of a UK starship.

Also, maybe you can quote me, but I don't remember saying American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper international expedition.

SGFerrit
April 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting a more diverse cast or adding characters from different countries, but people act like because SG1 found Ancient artifacts in England the writers somehow owe them something in the form of a UK starship.

Also, maybe you can quote me, but I don't remember saying American audiences are too stupid to comprehend a proper international expedition.

1. But you see, this is the thing: Russians act like ***holes and get a BC-304. Brits act like good, trustworthy allies and get frak-all. Can you not see how stupid that is? But hey, I guess that's politics!:S The Stargate Program gained some of the most useful technology of recentyears on the show in the form of the phase cloak technology, but from what we have seen Brits haven't even been allowed near the technolgoy found in our own country. The Stargate currently in use somehow belonged to the Russians. They started moaning and got a BC-304 at the end of season 9, considering the SGC could just as easily have gotten another gate I don't see how the heck this works when we get nothing for allowing the SGC access to the cave.

2. No, I didn't think you said that, but if it is accurate then American viewers should have no problem with more international involvement, like there would be were it real.

jrd231
April 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
1. But you see, this is the thing: Russians act like ***holes and get a BC-304. Brits act like good, trustworthy allies and get frak-all. Can you not see how stupid that is? But hey, I guess that's politics!:S The Stargate Program gained some of the most useful technology of recentyears on the show in the form of the phase cloak technology, but from what we have seen Brits haven't even been allowed near the technolgoy found in our own country. The Stargate currently in use somehow belonged to the Russians. They started moaning and got a BC-304 at the end of season 9, considering the SGC could just as easily have gotten another gate I don't see how the heck this works when we get nothing for allowing the SGC access to the cave.

2. No, I didn't think you said that, but if it is accurate then American viewers should have no problem with more international involvement, like there would be were it real.

I understand your point. However, you're taking this personally, and it's not real. The Stargate program isn't real, and nobody really found cloaking technology in the country you live in. It's just a TV show, and that's my point. You're acting as if England really has somehow been shafted by the United States government, when in reality it's a handful of writers for a television program that have decided to write a story that doesn't involve the United Kingdom getting made up technology.

Do you see my point? Don't take it personally, because it's not real.

Detox
April 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM
They havent built the X304 because the writers havent written it. Assuming for a minute that the Stargate Universe is real then in reality most of the countries which are aware of the programme would have the technology and access to the gate as the countries which are aware are some of the most powerful in the world. They may not beable to defeat America in a military engagment (due to Asgard tech) but they could certainly cripple the United States economy.

Clearly the Stargate Universe isnt real but its still important for the writers to make it seem as real as possible but i find other countries reactions to the Stargate programme in the Stargate Universe to be very odd and unrealistic.

What the hell are you talking about?

First off, there' NO X304. It's a BC-304 or a DSC-304.

Secondly, other countries can't build a 304 before they don't know how. Only the US have the schematics and facilities to build it. And your suggestion that other nations would attack and force economic sanctions on the US for the plans for the 304 is just plain stupid. Why would they? They realize by now that their whole idea of individual nationalities is essentially worthless, that they need to band as an entire global force in order to survive. Trying to bring down the biggest military arm of the world would NOT help them to survive.

Stargate is a SCI FI series. It gets syndicated to UK and Canadian networks. SCI FI doesn't give a crap about Canadian or UK or any other audience, they only care about their own audience, an American audience. So if Stargate Atlantis wants to survive longer, it needs to appeal to SCI FI's audience, not to Skyone or The Movie Channel's audiences. This reminds me a lot about an episode from Studio 60, where the network head wanted to grab a show about the UN, but the network chairman doesn't want it, because he says that the American public wouldn't be interested in a show about the UN.

The fact is, most American viewers don't care, or don't want to care about people from other countries when watching TV. Have anyone seen a show about Canada that's been popular in the US? A show about Britain? France? Why did you think FOX had to make an American version of Hell's Kitchen, or NBC had to make an American version of The Office and Top Gear?

ykickamoocow
April 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Secondly, other countries can't build a 304 before they don't know how. Only the US have the schematics and facilities to build it. And your suggestion that other nations would attack and force economic sanctions on the US for the plans for the 304 is just plain stupid. Why would they? They realize by now that their whole idea of individual nationalities is essentially worthless, that they need to band as an entire global force in order to survive. Trying to bring down the biggest military arm of the world would NOT help them to survive.

You could also use that quote to make a arguement for the USA giving the plans to the 304 to other countries.

Ltcolshepjumper
April 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, someone from a country other than America would have been good. And ,on Atlantis we had English Peter Grodin who sacrificed himself to destroy one of the Hive Ships coming for Atlantis, one of the most heroic things done on Stargate. Yet another thing we have done to help the program, but again I don't believe we have anything to show for it.

As I have said before, it's pretty stupid. The Russians have gotten more out of the program than any country bar America, and they got it by being malicous and blackmailing the SGC/US. We gave the US the stuff from the Ancient cave and Peter Grodin gave his life to protect the expedition and Earth, but because we haven't used underhanded tactics we are left with little to nothing to show for it.

It's not as though it's real. give the show credit for even showing the British flag. Besides, there's Beckett, Mckay, Zelenka. All from different nations. The Russians weren't malicious; they were smart, cunning, and somewhat deceitful at first. Also, think of this: the Russians had the stargate first, so they get some leverage. Also, backtrcking to the Cold war era. The US and the USSR were the first two nations that put someone in space. Now, when you look at that, you can see why Russia gets the most benefits aside from the US.

As well, don't try to use real-life examples of British support to the US to justify why Britain needs some pay back. When they get an SG team, then they'll have some say. But ultimately, it's a writing issue, so don't claim that the US is being an ***hole. When the writers decide to write in Britain as a stargate program ally as well, then maybe the British will be included. But don't expect to see the UK getting anything when they've only been seen through their IOA representative (who has made a sum total of three appearances- 2 in SG1, 1 in SGA)

SGFerrit
April 29th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I understand your point. However, you're taking this personally, and it's not real. The Stargate program isn't real, and nobody really found cloaking technology in the country you live in. It's just a TV show, and that's my point. You're acting as if England really has somehow been shafted by the United States government, when in reality it's a handful of writers for a television program that have decided to write a story that doesn't involve the United Kingdom getting made up technology.

Do you see my point? Don't take it personally, because it's not real.

I know it isn't real. But there is no problem with it being realistic, with them following stuff like Avalon up and continue the way they were going around seasons 7 and 8 and focusing more on politics and the affect this is going to have on Earth.

I'm one of the biggest Stargate fans out there. But my main gripe is the way it is pretty much portrayed like no other nation exists. You'd just think it would be a bit more international, especially now that SG-1's survival is much less Dependant on US audiences. But I guess allot of SciFi shows are like this, it's the same with Star Trek.

jrd231
April 29th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I know it isn't real. But there is no problem with it being realistic, with them following stuff like Avalon up and continue the way they were going around seasons 7 and 8 and focusing more on politics and the affect this is going to have on Earth.

I'm one of the biggest Stargate fans out there. But my main gripe is the way it is pretty much portrayed like no other nation exists. You'd just think it would be a bit more international, especially now that SG-1's survival is much less Dependant on US audiences. But I guess allot of SciFi shows are like this, it's the same with Star Trek.

I don't know any other way to put this. STARGATE IS A SHOW THAT IS WRITTEN FOR THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!SHIFTONE. It's not about England. It's not about Canada. It's not about international this or international that. It's a show designed and written with the American audience in mind. SCI FI is an American television channel. Stop it, everybody. Stop complaining that your country isn't involved in the Stargate universe enough. It's not about YOUR country, it's about writing a show for American viewers. If American viewers stop watching the show, it gets canceled, not just in the United States, but everywhere. The reason the show is written like no other nations exist is because American viewers aren't interested in seeing your country prosper in a fake universe. We don't care about making the show "more realistic" so that your country can have a fake starship with your flag on it. I don't care whether or not England ever gets anything in Stargate. Stargate is entertainment. I like my entertainment to focus on MY interests, which is my own country. The same way that you want it to focus on YOUR interests. The only problem is that it isn't going to focus on your country.

SGFerret, you seem like a smart person. If you're interested in being realistic, then you have to realize that Stargate is never going to be about any country besides the U.S.

ykickamoocow
April 29th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I don't know any other way to put this. STARGATE IS A SHOW THAT IS WRITTEN FOR THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!SHIFTONE. It's not about England. It's not about Canada. It's not about international this or international that. It's a show designed and written with the American audience in mind. SCI FI is an American television channel. Stop it, everybody. Stop complaining that your country isn't involved in the Stargate universe enough. It's not about YOUR country, it's about writing a show for American viewers. If American viewers stop watching the show, it gets canceled, not just in the United States, but everywhere. The reason the show is written like no other nations exist is because American viewers aren't interested in seeing your country prosper in a fake universe. We don't care about making the show "more realistic" so that your country can have a fake starship with your flag on it. I don't care whether or not England ever gets anything in Stargate. Stargate is entertainment. I like my entertainment to focus on MY interests, which is my own country. The same way that you want it to focus on YOUR interests. The only problem is that it isn't going to focus on your country.

So you dont see it as a problem that Americans care only about America and nothing else.

Also do Americans watch tv programmes from other countries? I ask because when a British show becomes successful in England instead of showing that show the Americans decide to make a "American Version". What is wrong with the original version?

kymeric
April 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
So you dont see it as a problem that Americans care only about America and nothing else.

Also do Americans watch tv programmes from other countries? I ask because when a British show becomes successful in England instead of showing that show the Americans decide to make a "American Version". What is wrong with the original version?

Nope, every country only cares about its self. Infact americans find much of the world culture baffling. The closest we come to internation entertainment is the 15-23 yr old generation that for some reason is obsessed with japanese anime. Theres little sub genres like british humor but its not enough to base a studio or even a network on. Even science fiction is fairly fringe in america.

Your average american tvshow is relationship drama focused around action or emotions in regional settings. And that is soo subjectively different from country to country to be relatable. About the only reason i could see american televison/movies being in such demand is a) theres a glut of it and b) people want some of that hypothetical american money so they emulate the culture.

Its actually a pretty huge thing that atlantis is international, and that sg1 was altered for an internation aspect its final 2 years. As a rule we american consumers are pretty self aborbed :-p

freyr's mother
April 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I think it's safe to assume this is a fake because the original poster has not come back on with a credible source of the information.

jrd231
April 29th, 2008, 07:15 AM

You're just reinforcing my points. See, you're not separating reality from television here. When it comes to my entertainment, I don't care about any other country, because it's NOT REAL! You're saying that because I don't care about a fake version of England in Stargate that I don't care about England in the real world?

Also, I have no idea whether other Americans watch television shows from other countries.
I've watched Doctor Who, and I didn't go on forums and ask them to focus on the United States in the show, either. I accepted the fact that it is written for an audience in another country. Realistically, all the alien races that visit earth in Doctor Who wouldn't all end up in London, would they? Of course not. To make it more realistic they would have Doctor Who traveling the globe, but they don't. It's written for a British audience, and nobody in other countries are complaining about it.

The reason that British shows such as the Office are re-made in America is because they weren't originally written for American audiences. This is natural, as it was a BRITISH SHOW! They remade it to write it for American audiences. NBC bought the rights and put a lot of money into it to do this. This point you've made just reinforces what I've already said. If you want a Stargate that focuses on England, maybe a British network should buy the rights and write the show for the core British audience.

Lastly, you asked what was wrong with the British version of the Office? Nothing. But, would you expect Americans to get all the jokes in the show?

jenks
April 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Why do American audiences need to be spoon fed like no other? Why do the powers that be always assume that American audiences are retards and won't get anything that isn't within their narrow scope of general knowledge? The Office wasn't remade because Americans are too stupid to get the original, it was remade because Gervais is brilliant at making money, and he knows he can let the American version run as long as he wants without giving a **** about it creatively. I'll never understand this idea that Americans needs to be protected from scary cultural references they might not immediately get, things like that are good for them and they know as much, the number of Harry Potter fans I've heard complain about the changes in the American versions, deary me...

jrd231
April 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Why do American audiences need to be spoon fed like no other? Why do the powers that be always assume that American audiences are retards and won't get anything that isn't within their narrow scope of general knowledge? The Office wasn't remade because Americans are too stupid to get the original, it was remade because Gervais is brilliant at making money, and he knows he can let the American version run as long as he wants without giving a **** about it creatively. I'll never understand this idea that Americans needs to be protected from scary cultural references they might not immediately get, things like that are good for them and they know as much, the number of Harry Potter fans I've heard complain about the changes in the American versions, deary me...

Why is it so hard for you to understand that when it comes to entertainment people want things tailored to them? Why do we HAVE to accept a product from England because people in that country said we should? Why do we have to settle for a show that has references we may not get? Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office? You don't even have to watch it.

jenks
April 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Why is it so hard for you to understand that when it comes to entertainment people want things tailored to them?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that they don't, and your ignorant outlook on entertainment is a minority one. Most people couldn't care less where entertainment comes from as long as it's entertaining.

Why do we HAVE to accept a product from England because people in that country said we should? Why do we have to settle for a show that has references we may not get?

No one said you should, what are you taking about?

Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office?

I don't.

jrd231
April 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Why is it so hard for you to understand that they don't, and your ignorant outlook on entertainment is a minority one. Most people couldn't care less where entertainment comes from as long as it's entertaining.

That's funny. People from England seem to want their entertainment tailored to them. They want more English characters and a starship for the UK. In the minority you say? Maybe you should go back and read this thread. The difference is they're asking for something that isn't reasonable considering the audience the show is written for.

Quote:
Why would you even care if there is a remade American version of the Office?
I don't.

Then why do you care if we are spoon fed a different version that has references outside of our narrow scope of knowledge?

thekillman
April 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM
personally, why change something thats entertaining. but if you want to release a comedy into annother country, it needs to be remade so that country can laugh about it aswell. if britain has a succesfull comedy, and wants to get to holland, but we think the jokes suck, or dont get them, isnt it logical you create dutch jokes for dutch people? same for us dutch making a succesfull comedy, release it to germany, and turn the jokes german, so its succesfull in germany, isnt it?
in this world, its about success and selling. if a britain version of stargate would sell better, and create a more solid fanbase, they would do it. if australia would be better, they turn it australia. its marketing.
seeing its success around the globe however, i say stargate pays more attention to europe and the world. not just britain. i hate the britains saying "we want britains, we want britains". "die" i say. why the hell would america go to britain, while in reality the whole european union can get cash from a ton of countries, and help produce 304's?? why would they turn to the uk for that? europe as a whole would be much better. but i wouldnt blame them, if the european 304 would be under command of a UK officier.
why would america turn to russia, while they could spend their money on the poor sitiuation in russia? why go to the UK alone? why be so selfish. im not here, crying "why dont they turn to the netherlands!. we helped them with a missile tracking system. we helped them in new orleans. we helped them!. we helped them!. you would say f*k your netherlands. ofcourse. because the EU can do much more. austalia could help easily. japan and china. they have a good economy. but russia? thats like asking africa, except russia has money, but they should spend it better.
UK on its own cannot do much.

back to the whole public thing: more aim at the EU would bring in more people than just UK.

jenks
April 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
That's funny. People from England seem to want their entertainment tailored to them. They want more English characters and a starship for the UK. In the minority you say? Maybe you should go back and read this thread. The difference is they're asking for something that isn't reasonable considering the audience the show is written for.

People from all over (including America) want there to be more characters that aren't just American.

Then why do you care if we are spoon fed a different version that has references outside of our narrow scope of knowledge?

I don't. It was a question, hence the '?' at the end of it.

ykickamoocow
April 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
personally, why change something thats entertaining. but if you want to release a comedy into annother country, it needs to be remade so that country can laugh about it aswell. if britain has a succesfull comedy, and wants to get to holland, but we think the jokes suck, or dont get them, isnt it logical you create dutch jokes for dutch people? same for us dutch making a succesfull comedy, release it to germany, and turn the jokes german, so its succesfull in germany, isnt it?
in this world, its about success and selling. if a britain version of stargate would sell better, and create a more solid fanbase, they would do it. if australia would be better, they turn it australia. its marketing.
seeing its success around the globe however, i say stargate pays more attention to europe and the world. not just britain. i hate the britains saying "we want britains, we want britains". "die" i say. why the hell would america go to britain, while in reality the whole european union can get cash from a ton of countries, and help produce 304's?? why would they turn to the uk for that? europe as a whole would be much better. but i wouldnt blame them, if the european 304 would be under command of a UK officier.
why would america turn to russia, while they could spend their money on the poor sitiuation in russia? why go to the UK alone? why be so selfish. im not here, crying "why dont they turn to the netherlands!. we helped them with a missile tracking system. we helped them in new orleans. we helped them!. we helped them!. you would say f*k your netherlands. ofcourse. because the EU can do much more. austalia could help easily. japan and china. they have a good economy. but russia? thats like asking africa, except russia has money, but they should spend it better.
UK on its own cannot do much.

back to the whole public thing: more aim at the EU would bring in more people than just UK.

In Australia we get a stack of tv shows from but the USA and Britain, none of them are modified for Australian audiences and even if we dont get the occasional joke or reference the shows are still easy to understand. If we can watch English shows in Australia why cant Americans watch English shows in America?

jrd231
April 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'd answer, but I'm tired of debating. I concede all previous points.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just got my box set of the Office (British edition) that I need to start watching.

kymeric
April 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Question, is that dr who show i keep hearing about on scifi the british one or a purely american construct?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
^I'm fairly certain it's the British one

SGFerrit
April 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I find Dr. Who laughable allot of the time, it seems much more aimed at children than other Sci Fi shows are. I find Torchwood is better, but apparently it's been quite controversial in America.

Either way, I thik we can safely say this thread is BS, there will be no 'Penelope' (what a stupid name for a ship).

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It is aimed at children, well at least that's what the general consensus is.

Cam_Mitchell
April 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yeah, there's a video of the new ship here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU).

HAHA HELL YEAH MATE! lol... i have been rick rolled...