Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the constant re-killing of Wraith queen characters hurt Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the constant re-killing of Wraith queen characters hurt Atlantis?

This started out as a reply to the Wraith commandos thread but the more I rambled on about it there the more I figured it deserved it's own thread rather than derailing that one.

The topic, the constant killing and resetting of the Wraith queen characters (potential recurring villians) rather than making one and sticking with her for a while like the various Goa'uld system lords.

Now it's no secret to anybody that watches Atlantis that if you see a Wraith queen you'd better not get too attached because you can expect her to be dead by the end of the episode. Queens are suppossed to be a rare and valuable resource to the Wraith, leaders, mothers of armies, scientists, starship captains, and yet from the first episode the show has remained fairly commited to treating them rather more like skeet discs.

The most recent queen was killed after uttering literally a single line of dialog

"You will pay for this".

"PULL!"

Other queens have fared little better, typically showing up for a few scenes in a single episode before being uncerimoniously gunned down, blown up, stabbed to death or some other decidedly unqueenly death more suitable for a nameless Jaffa. In every case they're never around long enough for them to evolve any really well defined personalities as characters and of course when they're killed and replaced with their newest version we have to start from the begining all over again.

I think this pretty much sucks and has robbed a lot more potential from the show than has probably been realized by most people, and if you do to here's the thread about it.

I've said before in other threads that they should have used the Rising hivekeeper as a villian for a lot longer than the 10 or so minutes they did, and after her the Allies queen. Those two really stood out to me as having the potential to be developed into something far more interesting than the throw away characters they ultimately became.

The Keeper was an ancient and powerful individual who gave the perfect intro to the Wraith, an intro that could easily have carried on for at least a season or two rather than the black featureless void of Wraith non development we got in the seasons following her cheepo death. Due to her status she was someone you could easily justify as having personal control over enough resources to make a lot of trouble for the expedition at the outset, a perfect first badguy for our heroes to face and one that would allow us to avoid the ridiculous idea that Earth's a match for the entire society that crushed the ancients at once. Rather than fighting "the Wraith" at the start they could have just faught her and her own personal family assets, more than enough initial challenge for 100 people and a broken down relic from the loosing side of a 10,000 year old war I'd say.

She also remains my personal favorite skeet disc because her blueish colour makes her more challenging to see against the sky, but also because in the breif time we saw her she seemed strangely more curious about the way humans actually thought and percieved the world, suggesting the possability that she was actually fully aware of their basic equality of sentience with Wraith like herself but ate them anyway. In other words she might have been someone who'd "seen behind the curtain", the whole "humans are infearior species/food animals thing". An intriguing thing to explore to eventually shape her as either someone who's potentially reachable on the idea of eventual cooperation due to her more complete view of the world, or someone who's so decadently twisted that knowing humans are just as sentient as herself only increases her delight in toying with their minds and emotions before killing them.

The allies queen was interesting for different reasons. In addition to a snappy little suit she also had a great potential ongoing arc with Michael had she not been waste killed like all her predecessors. She also had a certain quality of deviousness that made her compelling, more so than the typical "rar I'm the booggyman, I'm gonna eatcha" portrayal the wraith more typically got. The way she totally duped the entire expedition in allies and the whole idea of her being a young, militaristicly weak, but clever queen trying to work her way up in a power structure of jaded immortals held great potential for future stories.

Even the queen in the hive could have been developed into an interesting recurring villian. She was the only Wraith queen ever seen to keep human slaves, human slaves she seemed to be "doing things" with. While the keeper could have represented the same ancient malevolence that destroyed the ancients, and the allies queen could have been the ambitious new order, she could have been the decadent corruption that came between. She could have been a sort of twisted perverse individual more concerned with personal indulgence, her own pleasure and the fame and personal glory destroying Atlantis and culling Earth would bring to her in Wraith society. The sort of bored aristocrat who's casual cruelty stems from a boredom with life itself. It's no doubt that some of the other's, like for example the keeper I've envisioned here, would despise her and her corrupt lifestyle, and with them chasing the same goal you'd therefore have the potential for Wraith infighting that actually gets to happen on screen, and with actual characters instead of in throw away lines.

The submersion queen has never been a personal favorite of mine but the story potential with her was abundant. Given her situation, being cut off from Wraith society for 10,000 years it not even impossible that she could have been basically forced to seek shelter with the Atlnatis expedition following her release. With the Wraith in a state of civil war and her most recent accomplishment being a 10,000 year old failed attack that ended with her ship crashing into the ocean and her eating her entire crew it's not likely that she would be a hot commodity on the Wraith markets. Hell if you wanted to do something really radical you could even have her express some measure of gratitude for being saved from the nightmare of spending 10,000 years on the bottem of the ocean by herself. I know, Wraith expressing gratitude or actually suffering misery, I'm thinking of them like they're part human or something. I should really get control of these ridiculous thoughts of mine eh.

The spoils of war queen is really the only one I can't think of anything for, maybe someone else can. There's no questioning that she was wasted though, and made of fool of before hand by having a frakking fetus and someone who couldn't even be considered a wraith halfbreed somehow overpower her psychically. When her end finally came it was to nothing but a few 9mm rounds from Shep's pistol. Yep that's right, she wasn't even important enough to get the P90s out. I may not have really liked her because she reminded me more of a lizard than a Wraith queen but that still sucks. Remember when Wraith used to just laugh and eat your face when you tried to shoot them with little pussy guns like that? If you don't ask Colonel Evrett, he remembers.

Anyway the whole kill and reset thing was an interesting experiment with the whole "faceless enemy" vibe but I think looking back on it now it ultimately hurt the show a great deal more than was perhaps initially realized or forseen. I mean could you imagine SG-1 without Apophis to give a face to the Goa'uld at the start? All that great material for Teal'c would have never happened, the Sha're plot would have been different and likely worse without ther personal hatred between him an Daniel and we never would have grown to appreciate and even like him for the lovably over the top megalomaniac psycho he was. Who knows how much similar material was lost as a result of never having a central Wraith badguy to play off of? Good villians don't just exist to develop themselves, they're an excellent foil for the heroes and well, the interactions of the two sides revealing more about both.

Every hero needs a good villian to balance them out and challenge them. Stargate Atlantis has a whole team of super heroes and they're confronted with nothing but a bunch of no names to mow down with minimal effort.

I completely agree with this analysis. There have been some many wasted opportunities. In SG-1 having a Goa'uld an episode would have been awful, why is Atlantis any different. We only have Michael and Todd now as recurring "wraith".
    I hope season 5 takes a new perspective on the whole queen issue.

Comment

Excellent assessement.

I have little to say in response, but though I'd add my opinion on the matter.

I was never too fond of the Wraith in Atlantis, until, strangely Season 3 and 4 with the introduction of Todd, and though Michael annoyed me at first, he's improved greatly. It's interesting for our villains to not be head honchos this time, but I see what you mean. Perhaps the reason I never gelled with the wraith was for the very reasons you stated. A lack of an identifiable enemy.

On the one hand, that's kinda realistic. But on the other hand... meh.

So on second thoughts. I think you're very right. A wraith Queen as a main enemy and then finally killed by Michael with him as her replacement adversary may have been the way forward...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I totally agree. In fact, despite Andee's amazing performances, I almost forget that Wraith queens exist. I just don't allow myself to become attached to them, even though I love the Wraith as a whole. I just pretty much see them now as a bunch of sexually dormant (and/or frustrated) males, getting their biggest thrills from feeding.

I had SO much hope for the Submersion queen (yeah, I liked her!) - she was great, and really should have been allowed to escape, even if she did suck on a couple of Lanteans. And the Allies queen was about the best, just so perfect. Just so much potential if a queen was allowed to live...but it seems the male-dominated creative team just likes to kill things, and blow things up. You'd think they were ALL Ronon...

Great post - couldn't agree with you more!! the only thing I'll disagree with you about is the idea that the Wraith are 'villains' - I would prefer to think of them as 'enemies'. Villain implies evil, and the Wraith are not evil, but instead a dangerous species that must feed on humans in order to survive - like a tiger must eat meat in order to do the same. As an 'enemy', there can be different ones who rise up to be the 'villain' (Michael, Sateda's Superwraith; Allies' queen), and those who rise up to be something else - even an ally (Todd - and hopefully more). Then there are those gray area Wraith - ones that are just doing what they need to do in order to survive - Wraith like Steve, or even Greg, and Bob. They were just doing what their nature dictates - hunt and feed. Bob was doing so during an act of war, so - technically - he was a soldier spy. Steve was only hunting, and Greg, doing whatever he could to survive.

The queens - well, The Hive queen was guilty of nothing - her hive was invaded by her enemy! The Submersion queen, like Greg, was only trying to survive. The SoW queen was also just doing what her nature dictates, and it was Teyla who invaded her mind against her will...so anything 'evil' she tried to do was an attempt to break free of the invasion (I wonder if she survived the gunshots - I mean...it's been known to happen...). Oh, I could go on, but it's obvious that I don't see the Wraith as 'evil villain', and would prefer if some are allowed to continue to exist in a gray, dangerous enemy zone, while individuals like Michael rise up to be actually villains worth eventually killing off, but not immediately as has been done in the past.

And Todd? He really needs to live forever.

das
        Last edited by dasNdanger; 24 April 2008, 03:58 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree. Ever since I noticed that they started killing off Wraith Queens like the drone Wraiths I always wanted a recurring character Queen.

Vala,

Comment

I agree also. as much as I'd like a recurring queen, I wouldn't hold my breath. it took four seasons to finally see one wraith have longevity (todd, two if you count michael I guess). the best chance for seeing a queen in S5 will likely be in "the queen", but even then, there's no reason to think TPTB will change their formula now and she'll survive the episode.

Comment

I would very much like to see a Wraith Queen survive to come back another day!
              sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

I also think the writing for the wraith would have benefited from more recurring and unique individuals, particularly women. There have been male wraith who have stood out in their respective eps (Defiant One, Condemned, Sateda, Michael), but all the females have been practically identical.

Comment

Im actually in shock... never thought a wraith queen would have so much support like this.....

To me, when watching the show, killing the wraith queen is the most logical thing to do. As Todd said himself, "many ships are without queens, if they were to fall in battle we would have no way of creating new warriors".

The only thing that bothers me about the wraith is how are NEW queens born, if at all? We saw how a queen creates new males (only warriors though, the ones with the mask)

I mean, does a queen secrete different genetic material depending on what kind of wraith she wants? You have your warrior, scientist (Todd), and then queen. That pretty much sums up the wraith.

In the beginning of Atlantis we find out that there are ROUGHLY 60 hives in the Pegasus galaxy (This is at the end of season 01). Presumably, every hive has a queen. We've blown up and destroyed like what, 20 hives or something since that time (season 04), hell with the asuran battles I'll say that maybe 20-30 hives remain. So, 20-30 queens?

And you listed like what, several examples of queens. So logically, theres still a lot of queens out there. In fact, every instance we see a queen, its usually a bunch of wraith doing there own side project that will benefit only them, and not the wraith in general. The only exception to this is the queen/keeper from 'Rising'. So in a sense, its kinda good we dont see queens that often.

I do agree that we should find out a little bit more back story though. They have to be the most mysterious part of the wraith now. These days Im more curious about how the wraith were like back in the Ancient War days, 10,000 years ago. When Todd brought up the war with the ancients, on how they got the 3 zpms, I... um, lets just say I was excited Cause you have to say to yourself, who exactly worked with who (all the wraith, some of the wraith, etc) to figure out how to clone themselves on the hundreds of thousands level, and then be balsy enough to include lantean ZPMs into your plan. How wraith society/civilization started out is also a curious thought.

-------------------------------------------

Ouroboros: I hear what your saying, but I feel differently. You see, in SG-1 the goa'uld always got away or came back because they always ran away and were cowards. 7 years. I mean, if you look at most of the scenes, they only escape because we give them the time to do it, or they were just cowards... Example off the top of my head... Redemption, when The Free Jaffa boarded Ba'als ship, after the dakara weapon was used, Ba'al was done. In a real situation he would of been dead on the spot and that would of been the end of it. I mean, he laughs, brings his hands together, activates the beam transport and is done. And then the Jaffa start firing. I would have shot him in the arm/shoulder as soon as he starting moving his hands, Any military person would. If he continues to move, shoot more. Sure, he may still beam away, but he'll be dead. I felt that the goa'uld storyline was stretched out and was beginning to kill itself. I mean, the next year Atlantis started and I've been hooked on it every since. Season 08 was pretty good, but still, you had Anubis. Season 09-10 was wayy different. I personally drifted away during season 08, and only went to 09-10 because the Ori were connected to the Ancients, but even I feel the Ori were overdone just a bit. I mean, I enjoyed the times that TPTB brought Ba'al into the story.

I am however completely bias. I just care about the Ancients I also prefer the side stories, were SG-1 would visit a new uninhabited planet and get involved in some adventure (but then again, even when they did those, it was always about getting weapons to defend the planet from the goa'uld).

Dont get me wrong, I pretty much love every character the writers come up with. I just don't always agree on what situations those characters are put in. I feel Atlantis had a good balance, but the wraith hurt the story in a way. Every world is pretty much the same, they've all gotten culled by the wraith. Not only have the wraith limited to number of humans, the Asurans started targeting them too, and we even have Michael after humans.
                  Last edited by Halzman; 24 April 2008, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                    In the beginning of Atlantis we find out that there are ROUGHLY 60 hives in the Pegasus galaxy (This is at the end of season 01). Presumably, every hive has a queen. We've blown up and destroyed like what, 20 hives or something since that time (season 04), hell with the asuran battles I'll say that maybe 20-30 hives remain. So, 20-30 queens?
                    since todd said many ships are without queens, I'd guess there's 10-15 left going with the 20-30 hives estimate. there's been six queens killed (assuming the female keeper was a queen), so all together there only would've been 20 or so alive to begin with? that's a low number compared to all the males and warriors... unless there might be immature (such as ellia) or mature queens that just aren't kept aboard the hives.
                    Last edited by naamiaiset; 24 April 2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Don't disagree in principle with the OP. But the lady would have to have something that really distinguishes her from the rest of the pack. Right now I've always compared the vast majority of the Wraith queens to the Borg queens in Trek, where although I thought they made a great enemy, they were pretty much interchangeable with one or two exceptions. On the whole if you killed one, the next one would have the same grand ambitions and driving will.

Actually, the focus on the less powerful males makes a really interesting dynamic. Think about it, most of the non-human alien leaders we met in SG-1 were male, although there were exceptions. I always wondered if that was in part due to the fact that the head honchos for a long time , the Goa'uld System Lords, were mostly male. In the PG galaxy its almost the opposite, with the Wraith Queens being the evil baddies and a lot of female leaders (Teyla, Larrin, Harmony, etc.). So you have to wonder if there is some reverse sexism (at least from our point of view) in PG that works to keep the men down. A glass ceiling and watching Todd and Michael try to break through it is quite fascinating to me.
                      If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
                        since todd said many ships are without queens, I'd guess there's 10-15 left going with the 20-30 hives estimate. there's been six queens killed (assuming the female keeper was a queen), so all together there only would've been 20 or so alive to begin with? that's a low number compared to all the males and warriors... unless there might be immature (such as ellia) or mature queens that just aren't kept aboard the hives.
                        You cant think of it in terms of how humans are. Remember, there descendants from insects, which is why they give birth the way they due. Think of the wraith like a Bee Hive. You only have 1 queen giving the orders and hundreds of bee 'workers' doing there bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Risem View Post
                          I completely agree with this analysis. There have been some many wasted opportunities. In SG-1 having a Goa'uld an episode would have been awful, why is Atlantis any different. We only have Michael and Todd now as recurring "wraith".
                          I hope season 5 takes a new perspective on the whole queen issue.
                          Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Excellent assessement.

I have little to say in response, but though I'd add my opinion on the matter.

I was never too fond of the Wraith in Atlantis, until, strangely Season 3 and 4 with the introduction of Todd, and though Michael annoyed me at first, he's improved greatly. It's interesting for our villains to not be head honchos this time, but I see what you mean. Perhaps the reason I never gelled with the wraith was for the very reasons you stated. A lack of an identifiable enemy.

On the one hand, that's kinda realistic. But on the other hand... meh.

So on second thoughts. I think you're very right. A wraith Queen as a main enemy and then finally killed by Michael with him as her replacement adversary may have been the way forward...
                          The thing with Michael and Todd though is that, while they're a great improvement, neither one of them really fits the bill of a Wraith villian/adversary if you think about it. Michael's not a Wraith anymore, he's something else with his own seperate agenda and is also an enemy of the Wraith, and Todd is more of an ally than an actual adversary.

The show still pretty much lacks an actual Wraith villian character, someone that represents and embodies the Wraith as an adversary the way the various system lords did the Goa'uld.

I like Todd, and liked Michael up until that alternate reality ep revealed how shallow his ambitions actually were, (hopefully that stays in the other reality) but the two of them don't really fill this particular void.

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                          the only thing I'll disagree with you about is the idea that the Wraith are 'villains' - I would prefer to think of them as 'enemies'. Villain implies evil, and the Wraith are not evil, but instead a dangerous species that must feed on humans in order to survive
                          No worries, what you've wrote here in fact mirrors the way I look at them myself. I only use the term villian in the sense of a storytelling role here. I don't actually consider the Wraith to be a villianous or evil species, despite the show's numerous and often over the top efforts to paint them as such.

Taken objectively I could make a very good argument that the SGA expedition actually makes for the better villians.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          I also think the writing for the wraith would have benefited from more recurring and unique individuals, particularly women. There have been male wraith who have stood out in their respective eps (Defiant One, Condemned, Sateda, Michael), but all the females have been practically identical.
                          Indeed, and that itself is another thing I wanted to talk about. The various queens that have appeared over the years could easily have been rolled into one character. One recurring character like a system lord. I can't see any reason creatively speaking why it's better to have a bunch of barely developed nobody throwaway characters instead of just creating one and then using her in these various situations.

The Submersion queen would have needed to be different but it would have taken very minimal rewriting to make the Rising, Hive, Allies and Spoils of War queen the same individual. Think about it. All that would really need changing is the misc cheap death's they all got.

I can't see how this wouldn't have improved the show really. For one thing just imagine how much more intense episodes like Allies or even the Hive could have been with the past history between the parties.

"You killed Colonel Sumner!"

"He invaded my territory! You blew up my last ship killing thousands of my children!"

So why were these individuals made seperate? I heard a horrible explanation once that it could be because doing it this way means they can use some kind of loophole to pay the actress less as oppossed to making it the same character for recurring appearences. If there's any truth to that... wow.

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                          Im actually in shock... never thought a wraith queen would have so much support like this.....
                          A lot of people like the Wraith apparently. I know speaking for myself I've always found them more interesting than other "bad guys" like the Goa'uld, Ori or especially the Replicators. I think it's the whole idea that they're part human really, almost like a darker offshoot of our own species. I would really like to see that idea explored more. Some episodes like Instinct and Common Ground have done a good job of showing the more human side of the Wraith but the simplistic "Grar gonna eatcha" stuff is still far too dominant in how they're depicted.

Todd is definately a step in the right direction but he needs lots of others like him, Wraith individuals who are depicted as more than just simplistic monsters and boogymen and more like someone you could actually envision having a galactic civilization and spacecraft.

Originally posted by Teslan View Post
                          Don't disagree in principle with the OP. But the lady would have to have something that really distinguishes her from the rest of the pack. Right now I've always compared the vast majority of the Wraith queens to the Borg queens in Trek, where although I thought they made a great enemy, they were pretty much interchangeable with one or two exceptions. On the whole if you killed one, the next one would have the same grand ambitions and driving will.
                          Well like I said in the OP even some of the queens we did get showed signs of potential that could have been developed into something much greater than they ended up. It's the fact that this type of character development was never allowed to happen with the queens, because they keep getting killed off and reset, that bothered me enough to finally make this thread about it.

Last season's finale was especially noteworthy here. Easily one of the best looking queen makeups ever devised and she's wasted, and I mean that in every sense of the word, after saying 1 line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                            No worries, what you've wrote here in fact mirrors the way I look at them myself. I only use the term villian in the sense of a storytelling role here. I don't actually consider the Wraith to be a villianous or evil species, despite the show's numerous and often over the top efforts to paint them as such.

Taken objectively I could make a very good argument that the SGA expedition actually makes for the better villians.
                            Did you ever read my thread, "Lanteans: Out-Wraithing the Wraith"?? In many ways I see the Lanteans as the villains, entering a galaxy not their own and enforcing their rules and their moral code on the inhabitants, as if they're some sort of Gods able to decide who is good, and who is bad. Drives me nuts, but then again...I'm kinda partial to the ones the Lanteans immediately smacked the 'bad guy' label on.

The Submersion queen would have needed to be different but it would have taken very minimal rewriting to make the Rising, Hive, Allies and Spoils of War queen the same individual. Think about it. All that would really need changing is the misc cheap death's they all got.

I can't see how this wouldn't have improved the show really. For one thing just imagine how much more intense episodes like Allies or even the Hive could have been with the past history between the parties. ...

So why were these individuals made seperate? I heard a horrible explanation once that it could be because doing it this way means they can use some kind of loophole to pay the actress less as oppossed to making it the same character for recurring appearences. If there's any truth to that... wow.
                            And there probably is truth in that. The show doesn't operate on the biggest budget, and so...yeah, if Andee is a regular, reoccurring character, then she might be able to demand a bigger paycheck (contracts and all, perhaps). I know Chris said he doesn't work under a contract, but just comes in when they need him to do his Todd bit. However, if they decide to keep the character around a while, it might require that he agree to 'X' amount of episodes, with contracts and all - which means he can negotiate for a higher wage (all speculation, of course, since I have no idea how actors are hired/contracted in this show).

But I agree with you - if any of those queens had been around for mulitple episodes, it would have been both exciting ('oh, look! It's the queen from such-and-such - wonder what she's up to now!'), and it could have added depth to the queens, and Wraith as a whole.

Todd is definately a step in the right direction but he needs lots of others like him, Wraith individuals who are depicted as more than just simplistic monsters and boogymen and more like someone you could actually envision having a galactic civilization and spacecraft.
                            Agree! I've even bugged Joe Mallozzi on his blog about this - about introducing other Wraith characters that aren't killed off, but show up now and then to cause trouble or to help, and by doing so make them a more interesting species and much more intriguing foe/ally.

Let's hope they do something positive with the Wraith (and esp. Todd) in S5. I figure the Wraith in the Ronon episode (Broken Ties?) will probably be dead by the end of the show, so no hopes for him. But maybe other Wraith - hopefully a queen - will survive to live another day....

Time will tell...

das
                            sigpic

Comment

killing the wraith queen, however, is a su re fire way to eventually, eliminate them.

the wraith produce only through a queen. kill all the queens and the wraith become a dying species that will rule only as long as their longevity lasts.

kill all the queens and they go from uncountable population growth to negative pop growth

tactically, it makes sense. for every queen you kill, you kill all her future off spring as well.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X