• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Poison Sky (3005/405)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    THE POISON SKY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3005

As the Sontarans launch their attack on Earth by unleashing poison gas into the atmosphere, the Doctor must deal with a missing TARDIS and a mole in his midst.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:52 PM.

Great episode. Made me laugh when the Dr said 'Are you my mummy' when they all had the gas masks on.
    Was rose saying something when she appeared on the TARDIS screen?
    So what race next wants to turn Earth into their breeding/cloning ground.

Comment

Too many fab moments in this one for me to remember, but here are a mere few of the ones that made my inner fangirl dance jigs and fling streamers:

The Brigadier is alive and well!

Rose?! I'm surprised at how much of a thrill I got from that split-second shot of her.

Martha's first instinct is to hug the Doctor; for Donna, that's the second instinct after thumping him. I love Donna.

An axe! Someone had a brain, at least.

Are you my mummy?

Burning skies, wonderfully exciting SFX there.

Clone!Martha turned out to be a sort-of good guy. Rather sweet, she was.

Nice that the geek students were reasonably sane and not all like their mentor.

LOL at how the doctor dealt with geek-nutter's gun.

Another "What? WHAT?" moment; nice ending.

Next week? Crikey, looks like a big deal....

Madeleine

Comment

I absolutely love this episode, favorite of the season. Love it when unit went in and started kicking aliens (soltarians)butts. I also love it when the valiant flew in and bombarded the factory. And it was pretty smart using it engines to blow away the gas.

I also like the way the humans actually help save the planet this time, to me it seem more like partnership and than just the doctor doing it, for a change.

And it nice to actually see our weapons having a effect on the enemy. A bit odd that soltarians did not seem all that powerful to me when engage with the right bullets.

Their was not one thing that I did not like about this episodes, may actually seeing the valiant fly in space, would of been cool but I doubt it has that capability.

Does anyone here actually want to earth to fight a full interstellar war with the doctor in the middle or actually helping humans win it.

Comment

Good conclusion to part one...

though the burning off the gas in the atmosphere was a bit suspect, normally burning off a an atmosphere results in a dead world

Pvt. Ross Jenkins died There goes my hopes for him as companion in season 5

Liked that the traitorous genius sacrificed himself to save the planet (though it wouldn't of needed saving if he wasn't a naive short sighted idiot)

We got to see the Valient again YAY

Mention of the Brig

more thoughts after I rewatch it.... had my housemates badgering about making a racket in the kitchen

Ohhh and the next trailer.... have been looking forward to this one since I heard about it

Spoiler:
          Looks like it may well be his actual daughter and not a clone.... in which case how come he didnt know she survived the time war?

And does she have some kind of control over the TARDIS?

Cant wait for next week
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

"Are you my mummy?" BWAH!! Awesome! So perfect!

Also, mention of the Brigadier to please the Classic fans.

This was a good episode - better than the first part. It nicely fulfilled the promise of the first part, which was a lot about setting the scene, and the reveal of the Sontaran's true plan and the resolution of that was great. Some really lovely moments in there too - loved the two companions different reactions when the Doctor returns safe and sound. Martha rushes to hug him and Donna thumps him one for scaring them so much!

Tiny nitpick on the idea of igniting the atmosphere - wouldn't that also burn off the oxygen and uhhhh.. leave everybody to suffocate to death? Looked cool though. Awesome use of the Valient too.

I liked that the Doctor wasn't fooled by Clone!Martha for a second and thought the idea of him relying on Donna to save the day, being reluctant and regretful at having to put her in that situation, was wonderful. Those were truly tense moments where the companion, all alone, had to sneak through the enemy ship, fearing at any moment she'd be discovered. And if she was, there'd be nothing to Doctor could do to save her.

Next week looks fab! I wasn't sure about the concept when I first heard about it but the idea is growing on me and the trailer looked great!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post

Ohhh and the next trailer.... have been looking forward to this one since I heard about it

Spoiler:
              Looks like it may well be his actual daughter and not a clone.... in which case how come he didnt know she survived the time war?

And does she have some kind of control over the TARDIS?

Cant wait for next week
              Actually I think it is a clone, created from the hand, that why they showed the hand several times. If it was his real daughter we would not of needed to see the hand. Plus I read somewhere that the hand would have it's mini story arc, sound like that would be it.

I think that the hand and her being connected has drag the tardis to where ever she is.

Comment

Loved this one. UNIT actually being competent on their own works for me every time, so I was in raptures when the Doctor was impressed by the Colonel's plan.

(Next week on... spoilers)
                Spoiler:
                Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                I think that the hand and her being connected has drag the tardis to where ever she is.
                I reckon far future, because it didn't look like present day and that's the only other time the hand has been to. Plus, who more likely than the Master to clone the Doctor into a supersoldier?
                Last edited by Mr Prophet; 03 May 2008, 09:35 PM.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Al lot better than the first part, so where to start,

Is it me or did Rose look like she was trying to warn Donna about something?

The Brig is mentioned and what's he doing in Peru?

"Are You My Mummy" I was sooooo waiting for Jack to appear, at least he got a mention

The Daedalus Valliant back again

Thank %&?£ for Donna's mum, now I know where Donna get's it from

I thought the burning atmosphere was a bit suspect too, good bit of FX tho

Poor Ross, a 'Red Shirt' if ever I saw one, damn shame

The nutty genius sacrificing himself to save those he nearly destroyed, in a fit of remorse gimme a break

I love Bernard Cribbins' Gramps he's one of the best reoccuring characters ever in New Who

As for next week

Spoiler:
                  Could the Doctor's Daughter be the hand that picked up Ming the Merciless The Master's ring?

Roll on next week
                  Last edited by Reefgirl; 03 May 2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                    Is it me or did Rose look like she was trying to warn Donna about something?
                    I thought it looked like she was shouting "Doctor!" - as though she is trying to contact/find a way through to the Doctor.
                    sigpic

Comment

1. Liked the fact that the Doctor saw through Martha-clone early on!

2. Liked the fact that Earth was able to play a decent part in saving it's own backside(so much for not being able to fight the Sontarans!)

3. Could relate to the Sontaran's proxy to an extent but would still whack him if I saw him.

4. Rose again! Hmmm...

The doctor's daughter? WEll technicallly the Doctor had a granddaughter in the old school series so could this individual be Susan's Mum after several regens?
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Guys, can I play mum for a moment and remind everyone that any spoilers/speculation etc for episodes beyond The Poison Sky need to be spoiler-tagged in this thread.

Cheers.
                        sigpic

Comment

This series is looking like a really tepid one. I haven't found much beyond Donna (& of course The Doctor) to like about any of the episodes so far, Martha being in so many episodes is just painful for me to watch and Rose being the "Bad Wolf" "Torchwood" of the series is getting on my nerves no end.

While a kid probably loved this episode I found it lack any real story, all The Doctor did was run around yelling, barely thought beyond two seconds ahead and really I expect way more.

Sorry, but I bloody do!

Two things I liked, "Are you my mummy?" and the mention of Jack was nice but explain what The Doctor meant? The t-shirt and the clone reference? Was this just a clever nod to what is to come or something else? I was a bit lost there.

Maybe it is a blessing that next year we will only be getting specials, maybe they all need a good long break to get back to the magic that was in series one and two and the latter part of series 3. There have been far too many misses in the last 18 episodes of the show, I want a few more hits.

Don't even get me started on the premise of next week's ep. I just hope it is closer to a great episode then say a "Daleks in Manhattan" type episode.
                          Spoiler:
                          She is Rose's child right? *shrugs* I wouldn't put it passed them.

Either that, or RTD has gone completely mad and it is Jack's and The Doctor's daughter... yes! LOL

*goes off to re-watch The Doctor Dances*

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Much better than the rubbish Helen Raynor came out with last season.

Loved the "are you my mummy" bit

I think Rose said 'Doctor.' Don't think Donna saw her though, she didn't seem very surprised to see a random face show up if she did. And how was Rose able to make herself show up on the TARDIS screen anyway?

Regarding next weeks episode, does anyone else think the doctors daughter is very un-doctorish? Running around with guns and everything.
                            sigpic

Comment

Right........This Episode............THE BEST YET this season. No two ways about it. It was just fantastic. I'll have to write more about it but I can't be bothered right now but I'll watchi it again then come back.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X