This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to watch next?

So I'm just about to wrap up Farscape (just gotta watch the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries), and I started thinking of what sci-fi show to watch next. So far I've watched:

Stargate SG-1
    Farscape (awesome!)
    Stargate Atlantis (going downhill)
    Ark of Truth

I'm leaning towards Battlestar Gallactica or Firefly, as I've heard good things about both.

Any suggestions welcome!
    sigpic

The series Firefly is a must

Stay away from new BSG its vastly over-rated,
    I admit it seduced me with a wonderful smoke screen of 12-15 fantastic episodes but the show jumps the shark really quick and drags on season after season as a depressing soap opera or forced political commentary. Old BSG is very suckish but at least it was original

Others I'd recommend apart from Firefly
    Heroes
    Odyssey 5
    Lexx
    Supernatural
    and B-5 lost tales for the hardcore scifi fans
    Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
    They had to fake the ratings
    They had to fake the ratings.
    Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Firefly, Smallville season2, Lost season1, Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles, Red Dwarf

Comment

Firefly
        Jericho
        Battlestar Gallactica

Watch them NOW!

Comment

i agree firefly/serenity first, because it's short you can get through it quick

i like BSG, personally, but it's very different from any other sci-fi out there.

heroes is must aswell, and lost too, and of course the x-files

well, that's my dvd show collection exhausted...
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Great to see replies already!

Actually I should've mentioned this but I've already watched Heroes and Jericho as well.

So now I'm leaning towards Firefly, as it is only one season and will probably be easier to get through.

What's the story with BSG. Was there a miniseries first and then the full TV series?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              So I'm just about to wrap up Farscape (just gotta watch the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries), and I started thinking of what sci-fi show to watch next. So far I've watched:

Stargate SG-1
              Farscape (awesome!)
              Stargate Atlantis (going downhill)
              Ark of Truth

I'm leaning towards Battlestar Gallactica or Firefly, as I've heard good things about both.

Any suggestions welcome!
              bsg or Jericho

if you want a good laugh defenlity firefly
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Firefly is a must, it's really a tragedy it died so young.

BSG (new) is also a necessity, It is, without question, the drama on television right now. Don't mind these detractors who whine "soap opera"--they're just not used to seeing human interaction with consequences on a science fiction series Answering your question, yes, BSG began with a miniseries (which is included in the R1 season 1 set) before beginning its proper TV series run. It's currently airing the first half of its fourth and final season, with the second half not likely to broadcast until some time next year. A word of warning though: don't start watching the new episodes and expect to know what's going on. You'll be beyond lost, and spoil some terrific reveals from the first three years. Also: "Razor" broadcast between seasons 3 and 4.

The new Doctor Who is also a terrific series. It's got all the not-taking-itself-too-seriously humour that made SG-1 so enjoyable, and is really one of the most imaginative series you're likely to come across.

If you're interested in a long haul, there's always The X Files.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd have to disagree about Doctor Who, I'd say it takes itself more seriously than SG-1 and is even more cheesy, which is a terrible combination. And now that Catherine Tate is a main character, Oh dear, it's awful. I caught the end of the Pompeii episode the other day and I've got to say she can't act for ****, she has the odd funny line, but it's not worth enduring all the bad acting while something serious is going on, what were they thinking...

Anyway, on topic I'd say you need to watch Firefly definitely, and the first season of BSG is worth watching too, although it takes a nose dive in quality after that in my opinion, the writers seemed to run out of ideas, all the show is now is plot twists and special effects, oh and a few political messages that are about as subtle as a bag of hammers.
                  Last edited by jenks; 21 April 2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I liked the BSG2003 miniseries, and the first season, and bits and pieces of the second season, but that's all. The problem is that the writers (and a few of the viewers as well) don't understand the difference between the "drama" that they had in season 1 and the "melodrama" that they had in seasons three and, so far, four. I liked BSG: Razor though, for the most part.

Overall I'd say that BSG2003 is worth watching just for the coolness that existed in the miniseries and season 1. Just don't expect it to live up to that as you finish out the storyline with the rest of the seasons.

Most of my favourite shows have already been mentioned (Firefly, Heroes. I kinda like Jericho as well). I also like Star Trek: DS9, Enterprise, and, especially, Babylon 5. They all have some (significant) flaws, but they're still good in my opinion. Seasons 2 through 4 of B5, seasons 4-7 of DS9, and seasons 3-4 of Enterprise are the better ones. Don't bother with the other Star Trek series unless you are a fan of the show. There are some great individual episodes in all of them, but not enough to justify watching them all the way through unless you really like Trek.

Other than that, I seem to remember liking Space: Above and Beyond. It's old, and there was only one season, but I still liked it. I don't know where you're from, but Doctor Who(2005) is quite different from most American scifi, so you may find it weird. It's cheesy, but there is humour in it and a few awesome episodes, and that mostly makes up for the cheesiness. One thing to keep in mind is that Doctor Who is in the Scifi/Humour/MildHorror category, so some of it can be suspenseful if you don't like that kind of thing.
                    Last edited by gopher65; 21 April 2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Personally, I love Supernatural...much more than either of the Stargates.
                      I love BSG as well.
                      What about Buffy or Angel? Those are amazing shows.

If you don't mind old, why not watch the original Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone.

I think that Odyssey 5 is a great show, but unfortunately it only got one season. I'm still glad I watched it, though.\

Babylon 5 is definitely worth your time too.

Dead Like Me is an incredible show(again a show that got cancelled way too soon).

Carnivale is also one of my favorites. Like Dead Like Me, it's not sci-fi, but it has major elements of the mystical and supernatural.

Firefly is good as well.

Comment

Lexx!

Comment

Originally posted by somme View Post
                          Lexx!
                          Lexx ftw.

Its a show that takes new, original and, a lot of time, disturbing leaps....But Prince and the idea of Fire and Water in season three was pretty spectacular.
                          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Some of the shows I like watching.

Shows still being made:
                            Lost
                            Supernatural
                            Battlestar Galactica (2003)
                            Dexter (not fantasy/sci-fi but a damn good show)

Shows that have finished:
                            Buffy/Angel (Both continuing in comic form)
                            Firefly
                            Tru Calling
                            Dead Like Me
                            Life On Mars (UK)

Comment

Originally posted by somme View Post
                              Lexx!
                              Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                              Lexx ftw.

Its a show that takes new, original and, a lot of time, disturbing leaps....But Prince and the idea of Fire and Water in season three was pretty spectacular.
                              Indeed. Lexx is a terrific show--if you can get into it. It's pretty much beyond niche.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X