PDA

View Full Version : McKay's Fighting Skills

ykickamoocow
April 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else rather happy with how the writers have prgressed with McKay in regards to his fighting skills. In late season 4 he was firing the P90 and he looked totally at ease with the weapon. In season 1 they made McKay the comic relief when handling guns and it was painful to watch as Daniel Jackson (who also had no firearms experiance) didnt make those kind of mistakes in the early seasons of Stargate SG1.

Im mainly creating this thread to ask what would you guys like to see in season 5 in regards to McKay fighting and what wouldnt you like to see.

Here are mine

What i want to see
- McKay continuing to improve with all forms of firearms
- Afew scenes where Teyla is trying to teach McKay some basic hand to hand combat (they did this with Ronon trying to teach McKay in a season 3 episode but i got the impression that Ronon wasnt the best teacher for Rodney. I think Teyla would be far more suited to the role).
- I would really like to see a episode where McKay must fight the bad guys by himself to save the rest of the team.

What i dont want to see
- Any regression in his fighting abilities (which would make no sense).
- McKay being used as comic relief when handling weapons of any kind like he was in the first 2 seasons.

Falcon Horus
April 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure but he's still comic relief when he handles his P-90, he hardly looks where he's shooting (ref: Reunion, and he wasn't much better in Missing).

Ace
April 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
His technique with the P90 is what we like to call "Spray and Pray"... McKay closes his eyes most of the time while holding the trigger and simply prays that he hits something. Not exactly alot of skill involved...

Ace

rielgenius1688
April 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
And the idea of the team relying on McKay to take down a bad guy? That'll be a sad day in Pegasus.

KindlyKeller
April 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
The writers have been wildly and obnoxiously inconsistent with McKay's combat skills. As far back as "The Defiant One," he was able to fire a gun with extreme accuracy. As recently as "Missing," he was just blindly shooting at nothing.

TOIVA
April 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
The writers have been wildly and obnoxiously inconsistent with McKay's combat skills. As far back as "The Defiant One," he was able to fire a gun with extreme accuracy. As recently as "Missing," he was just blindly shooting at nothing.

In Defiant One, he had to, he saw his enemy, and new that otherwise, he would die for sure...

KindlyKeller
April 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
In Defiant One, he had to, he saw his enemy, and new that otherwise, he would die for sure...

And he's not worried about dying in other situations where he's portrayed as a clumsy buffoon?

Pandora's_Box
April 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Is anyone else rather happy with how the writers have prgressed with McKay in regards to his fighting skills. In late season 4 he was firing the P90 and he looked totally at ease with the weapon. In season 1 they made McKay the comic relief when handling guns and it was painful to watch as Daniel Jackson (who also had no firearms experiance) didnt make those kind of mistakes in the early seasons of Stargate SG1.

Im mainly creating this thread to ask what would you guys like to see in season 5 in regards to McKay fighting and what wouldnt you like to see.

Here are mine

What i want to see
- McKay continuing to improve with all forms of firearms
- Afew scenes where Teyla is trying to teach McKay some basic hand to hand combat (they did this with Ronon trying to teach McKay in a season 3 episode but i got the impression that Ronon wasnt the best teacher for Rodney. I think Teyla would be far more suited to the role).

And yet, that really isn't Rodney's character. He is a scientist. He's the one being protected while he tries to figure out how to save the day. And let's face it, he's graceless and clumsy, and seems to be inept and just plain uninterested in hand-to-hand.

- I would really like to see a episode where McKay must fight the bad guys by himself to save the rest of the team.

THE HIVE! THE HIVE!

What i dont want to see
- Any regression in his fighting abilities (which would make no sense).
- McKay being used as comic relief when handling weapons of any kind like he was in the first 2 seasons.

Oh me too. But I've never been a big supporter of McKay the Clown anyway.

But neccessity doesn't negate skill. If he could do it once, he can do it again.

I would just like to see McKay be more comfortable with the P-90. He seems to use the point, close your eyes, shoot, and pray method too often.

I just don't see McKay learning any real fighting techniques.

ShadowMaat
April 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'd just prefer some consistency. If they want to make him a clumsy buffoon who doesn't know which end the bullets come out of, fine, but don't show him being competent and proficient in random episodes. OR, if (as with Daniel) you're going to show him as gaining experience and accuracy, then please, for the love of fluffy puppies, stop turning him into an incompetent twit in random eps. :rolleyes:

KindlyKeller
April 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'd just prefer some consistency. If they want to make him a clumsy buffoon who doesn't know which end the bullets come out of, fine, but don't show him being competent and proficient in random episodes. OR, if (as with Daniel) you're going to show him as gaining experience and accuracy, then please, for the love of fluffy puppies, stop turning him into an incompetent twit in random eps. :rolleyes:

Completely agree.

TOIVA
April 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
And he's not worried about dying in other situations where he's portrayed as a clumsy buffoon?

In most other situations, he's not really facing the death.

ykickamoocow
April 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM

I agree completely. McKay hasnt been done consistantly in regards to his combat skills. In "The Kindred" (both parts 1 and 2) McKay was shown as a person who could handle a P90 quite well but there have been other episodes in season 4 where he doesnt handle it aswell.

I hope they use the Daniel Jackson model. In season 1 of SG1 he was completely useless with a gun but by season 5 he was very good and he stayed very good right until the end of season 10.

Even though McKay is shooting ok in some episodes the writers (or more likely the directer) arnt showing anything. Can anyone remember if McKay has a confirmed kill as they keep showing him shooting his P90 but they dont actually show him hitting anything?

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 02:36 AM
In most other situations, he's not really facing the death.

That's a real stretch in my opinion. McKay ALWAYS thinks he's facing death. And just because one's facing death doesn't mean they're suddenly imbued with a skill they wouldn't otherwise have. In fact, for most people -- especially someone like McKay -- it would have the opposite effect, eroding whatever the skill in question is.

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I agree completely. McKay hasnt been done consistantly in regards to his combat skills. In "The Kindred" (both parts 1 and 2) McKay was shown as a person who could handle a P90 quite well but there have been other episodes in season 4 where he doesnt handle it aswell.

I hope they use the Daniel Jackson model. In season 1 of SG1 he was completely useless with a gun but by season 5 he was very good and he stayed very good right until the end of season 10.

Even though McKay is shooting ok in some episodes the writers (or more likely the directer) arnt showing anything. Can anyone remember if McKay has a confirmed kill as they keep showing him shooting his P90 but they dont actually show him hitting anything?

That I'm not sure about.

I agree about the Daniel Jackson model being a good one. Outside of McKay, he's been the most interesting character in the series because of how he's changed. Sometimes I miss the old "I don't want to shoot anybody" Mr. Optomism Daniel, but as someone who appreciates character growth, "I'll do what I have to" Mr. Jaded Daniel is great. And he's extremely accurate with weapons now.

jonos101
April 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM

in the defiant one he was shooting a 9 mil and a P90 in missing. theres more recoil on a P90

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM
in the defiant one he was shooting a 9 mil and a P90 in missing. theres more recoil on a P90

But then he was seen in "The Siege" fumbling with the 9 mil like an idiot and almost getting killed for it.

jasminaGo
April 19th, 2008, 04:18 AM
McKay is a character writen from episode to episode and what ever works for the moment. Not just about his skills with weapons or hand to hand, but about everything. In one episode he's willing to sacrifice himself for his team and then in the next he's willing to push someone in front of him so that he can protect himself. One minute he's a nice caring friend the next he's the arogant moron that first showed up in 48 hours. And honestly all the inconsistencies are starting to go on my nerves.

Linzi
April 19th, 2008, 04:35 AM
McKay is a character writen from episode to episode and what ever works for the moment. Not just about his skills with weapons or hand to hand, but about everything. In one episode he's willing to sacrifice himself for his team and then in the next he's willing to push someone in front of him so that he can protect himself. One minute he's a nice caring friend the next he's the arogant moron that first showed up in 48 hours. And honestly all the inconsistencies are starting to go on my nerves.
I can see what you're saying here, but I think we're all pretty inconsistent as human beings. Sometimes we don't learn from our mistakes and revert to the way we behave that isn't particularly how we'd like to. It's like a default setting. Other times we rise above our faults and overcome them, just to slip right back again.

I would agree, on occasion, McKay has been made to look a bit of a clown, but I think he'll always be like that. He's a flawed individual, as are we all. I also think he has changed a lot since 48 hours. The one time I think he was disappointing was in Quarantine. I didn't like the way he was written there, in a few scenes. He just was so self-centred and was pretty thoughtless towards Katie. It seemed out of character to me. But, that aside, I think McKay is McKay. Nice sometimes, othertimes not. Arrogant and brash, and conversely caring and sweet. He's complicated. He has good days and bad days. I just have to look here to see that people behave differently every day. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not. McKay isn't a man of consistency. He's mercurial, I think.

As far as the fighting skills and gun handling? Please DON'T make him good at them all. McKay isn't someone proficient in combat and he shouldn't be. He's a scientist. When would he have time to practice his skills? Why would he want to? As far as the gun handling goes - he's not going to win any awards for it that I can see, but so what? He's carrying it as a sort of last resort defense item, and he knows how to basically use it. So I'm not unhappy with that either. A gun toting all fighting McKay would not be who the character is, from my perspective. Just my two cents on the issue. :)

ykickamoocow
April 19th, 2008, 04:55 AM
As far as the fighting skills and gun handling? Please DON'T make him good at them all. McKay isn't someone proficient in combat and he shouldn't be. He's a scientist. When would he have time to practice his skills? Why would he want to? As far as the gun handling goes - he's not going to win any awards for it that I can see, but so what? He's carrying it as a sort of last resort defense item, and he knows how to basically use it. So I'm not unhappy with that either. A gun toting all fighting McKay would not be who the character is, from my perspective. Just my two cents on the issue. :)

Think if you were asked to go on regular dangerous missions and you had no weapons training, wouldnt you constantly practice with firearms so when the time came you could not only defend yourself but your teammates aswell.

I think any person who goes on the types of missions McKay goes on would make the time to learn how to handle weapons correctly as it could be the difference between life and death. He may never be as good as the others on his team but he would practice constantly as it is a extremely important skill for him to have.

McKay is no idiot and you would have a hard time convincing me that he wouldnt have done alot of work with his P90 so he has a greater chance at survival when going off world.

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I agree with everything Linzi said, excepting the firearms stuff. Do I want McKay to be ducking and rolling, then popping up with duel pistols and shooting two Wraith right between the eyes? No. I'd just like to see him improve as time goes on like Daniel did, because it's not only logical, but I think REQUIRED for someone going on missions like that.

But unlike with Daniel, McKay's progress with weapons isn't something that can be charted since TPTB have no clue what they're doing in that regard. When they desire to throw in a scene of humiliation, they make him fumble around like a 16 year-old new ROTC recruit, and then the rest of the time they make him competent. So who knows what THEY even think his progress has been.

Jackie
April 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM
McKay's development in general goes up and down. One ep he's competent and in the next ep he's runs around like a panicked teenager.:mckay:

I find it really hard to believe that any military organization would give a weapon to someone who cannot control that weapon. In order to even go off world the military should have required weapons training for those individuals. The training would be far more intense than just sitting on your back porch shooting 22's at tin cans on a fence too.;)

Overall I find the "joke" firearms displays of McKay's abilities rather annoying.

No one should be handed a weapon they cannot control. His eyes are closed half the time when he's firing...thus he doesn't know what his target is or where the bullets are going. It's amazing McKay hasn't shot one of his own team members so far.

When I watch McKay's "comic" gun handling, I just shake my head and grit my teeth. It's a prime example of everything a basic hunting firearms course will tell you not to do.

Of course in the film and TV industry firearms are nothing more than a prop and are treated as toys...which gives young and impressionable viewers the idea that "dad's gun" is a toy.

In real life many parents go to extremes to keep guns away from dangerous hands. I wish TV would reflect that more. TV never shows the guns locked in a storage facility, trigger locks, gun safes, locked up rounds of ammunition. That's not cool to show unless someone is breaking into it.

They never show instant background checks, permit process...many viewers have no idea what the gun laws in their own state are. That's frightening. :o

ShadowMaat
April 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Well said! And you're right, McKay's fighting skills aren't the only thing about him that suffer mass inconsistencies. And I think you're right about the reason, too: TPTB write him in whatever way is convenient for an ep rather than looking into the long-term effects/possibilities. He seems to be their favorite character to write, but it hasn't done him any favors. Sure, he's in the spotlight in nearly every ep, but if you try to track his "progress" as a character all you get is a messy, uneven blob. Every time it seems like he's moving forward, another ep will come along to set him back- sometimes even further than he was in the previous ep. :rolleyes:

McKay used to be my favorite character, now I can't stand the sight of him. Way to go, writers. :rolleyes:

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Couldn't possibly disagree with you more, Shadow. Outside of "Quarantine," which was a bizarre look at pre-Season 1 Rodney, his growth has been exceptional and -- I thought -- undeniable.

When the show began, he had blinders on. He was arrogant, tactless, and obsessed with work and work alone. As time went on, though, he realized the value of friendship, his relationships with John and Weir growing in both scope and importance to him.

His arrogance and tactlessness have ebbed away some too, as he's been humbled by episodes like Trinity, Sunday, McKay and Mrs. Miller (as much as I loathe that episode), The Tao of Rodney, Adrift, This Mortal Coil, Miller's Crossing, and Kindred.

What I saw in The Last Man was a character who has grown leaps and bounds -- in a way TPTB have consistently honored outside of Quarantine and their brief, annoying forays into humiliation -- and has shown what a good and evolving human being he really is.

Jumper_One
April 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
No one should be handed a weapon they cannot control.

what about Daniel?

Falcon Horus
April 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
what about Daniel?

He shouldn't have been given one either.

KindlyKeller
April 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
He shouldn't have been given one either.

Daniel COULD control it, though. Since he was never used for humiliation purposes, he got to be competent 100% of the time, as I recall. Rodney is shown being competent very early in the series, then being an idiot who's going to kill himself sometimes thereafter, as Jackie said. If they just had him be competent, but limited, like they started out with him, there wouldn't be a problem. It IS unrealistic to have him be worthless with firearms, since he's no doubt had at the very least a comprehensive basic training, and probably more than that.

desh
April 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I think the inconsistencies in Rodney's character have more to do with his lack of discipline. He demonstrates resolve only in the most severe circumstances but usually executes things haphazardly. He can never sit still and clear his mind long enough to do things with precision and purpose. Although his undisciplined nature is what allows him to think of unconventional solutions, which is what differentiates him from Carter, it usually results in he wasting time and energy fidgeting and acting inconsistently.

By contrast, Daniel is usually sure of himself even in the most uncertain situations. Over the course of SG-1, he develops the discipline and understanding needed to reconcile himself with the conflicts that he faces. He ascends but descends upon realizing how politicized the supposedly enlightened ascended community is; this takes incredible resolution and discipline.

I think McKay is evolving as a character. He clearly values his friendships with his team members and will do anything for them, even if it means fighting. In "The Kindred, part 2," McKay enters a heated firefight in order to rescue Teyla and guns down some of Michael's mercenaries with his P90--quite accurately and with his eyes open.

No matter what happens to McKay, he will be always be himself and that means being egoistic and inconsistent. He is not Daniel Jackson and will never become Daniel Jackson.

ykickamoocow
April 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
The writers really need to come together and come up with what McKay's fighting skills are like because like others have pointed out his fighting skills are very inconsistent as different writers and directors seem to have different idea's on how well McKay can fight. I know McKay will never be as good a fighter as Teyla, Sheppard and Ronon but i would like him to become the sort of person who the others can count on during a firefight.

Also i would love to see Teyla trying to teach McKay some basic hand to hand (or stick to stick) combat in season 5 as she would be a far better teacher than Ronon was in that one episode in Season 3 where all Ronon was doing was hitting McKay with a big stick.

PG15
April 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I thought Quarantine made perfect sense, actually.

We saw a backtracking in McKay, which I think we can all admit DO happen to us under various circumstances for whatever reason. Now, in Quarantine, McKay was indeed in an unique situation, in that he 1). didn't know anything, 2). couldn't have done anything, 3). was stuck with a girl that he was obviously nervous around before, and 4). was possibly facing death.

Put them all together, and you have a nervous wreck in someone like McKay. Remember how he always did a lot of work whenever he's stressful? That's to take his mind off of it, as he admitted in This Mortal Coil. Stuck with nothing to do but to THINK about the situation leads to an explosion in imagative horrors, which can easily overwhelm a person.

This, I know from experience.

KindlyKeller
April 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Except that he doesn't respond the same way in other perilous circumstances. Plus, Katie wasn't someone he was nervous around. He was going to PROPOSE to her, after all. And he wasn't nervous about the proposal during the quarantine, because he totally forgot about the fact that he was going to until Katie found the ring.

PG15
April 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Except that he doesn't respond the same way in other perilous circumstances.

Name me one other situation where, as I said, he 1). didn't know anything, 2). couldn't have done anything, 3). was stuck with a girl that he was obviously nervous around before, and 4). was possibly facing death.

Like I said, it was an unique situation.

Plus, Katie wasn't someone he was nervous around. He was going to PROPOSE to her, after all. And he wasn't nervous about the proposal during the quarantine, because he totally forgot about the fact that he was going to until Katie found the ring.

Rodneyanna Velosa scene. :p

I take it that he WAS nervous when he tried to propose, and that set the tone for the whole thing. You may disagree, but c'est la vie.

fumblesmcstupid
April 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
In KINDRED part 2 Rodney clearly takes out bad guys 2 and 3

in HARMONY John has Rodney provide COVER FIRE for him!

Then in MIDWAY which was brimming with Soldiers!
Rodney stayed out of the way like John told him to move.
Right when John and crew enter the control room Rodney stayed in back UNTIL John told him to go!

Rodney is good at follwing orders!

It would be cool if Rodney could become Jet Li/Jackie Chan!
But alas he will end up looking like the Drunken Warrior!

Can TEYLA make Nuke?
Can JOHN OVERWRITE a nanovirus thingy?
Can Ronon do complicated astrophisist stuff?

NO!

Rodney is a GEEK not a SOLDIER!

Rodney does his sciency stuff
John, Teyla and Ronon do the soldiery stuff

I am pretty sure that if NONE of his team felt safe with him.... he would not be going out with them!

ykickamoocow
June 21st, 2008, 04:31 AM
BUMP

Spoilers for "Search and Rescue"

While McKay didnt do any fighting as such his character development from season 1 Rodney to season 5 Rodney were really obvious.

1. McKay flying the jumper really well
2. McKay wanting to take on a Wraith crusier in nothing but a jumper (with him flying it) while Carter wanted to remain cloaked and wait for backup.
3. On the Wraith crusier McKay actually took the lead (he was running infront of Ronon and Sheppard). Season 1 McKay would never have put himself in that much danger.

Rac80
June 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
He has some? :S

stclare
June 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM
He has some? :S

Yes I think he does.

Vengence I thought, show cased his ability to use his weapon. Also the way he traversed the hallways checking out the ducts etc and pointing out the soft spot on the Alien to his team mates shows that hes come along way on this front from the 1st seaon.

I dont want to see him acting like Rambo. I just want to see him stay consistant and competant within those types of scenarios. Which I dont think is to much to ask ;)

vaberella
June 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm a bit lost on how McKay & Fighting Skills share a sentence. I'm still remembering McKay from Lost Boys/The Hive---and all the smacking. It just makes me say, "Anyi".

fumblesmcstupid
June 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
isn't there a thread in gen stargate whining about whether Rodney is good enough using a weapon????

all these questions about Rodney's skills are just a clever way to bash him.!!!

yes there are people standing up for him (YES!!!!!)
people harping on him (BOO!!!!!)

wasn't there a thread about feeding him to a wraith that was removed?

Oh wow! There are people who HATE Rodney! Yeah we get it blah! blah! blah!

Next you'll be asking should Rodney be ambidextrous?

or should he have hair?

How dare he have blue eyes!

oh my Gawd should Rodney be walking?

How dare he pee standing up

!:mckayanime03::mckayanime18::mckayanime22:

vaberella
June 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
isn't there a thread in gen stargate whining about whether Rodney is good enough using a weapon????

all these questions about Rodney's skills are just a clever way to bash him.!!!

yes there are people standing up for him (YES!!!!!)
people harping on him (BOO!!!!!)

wasn't there a thread about feeding him to a wraith that was removed?

Oh wow! There are people who HATE Rodney! Yeah we get it blah! blah! blah!

Next you'll be asking should Rodney be ambidextrous?

or should he have hair?

How dare he have blue eyes!

oh my Gawd should Rodney be walking?

How dare he pee standing up

!:mckayanime03::mckayanime18::mckayanime22:

I don't see much bashing when it comes to Rodney's fighting ability. The show has set the pace...ie once again I mention The Hive.

As for wraithing. The amount of stupid high jinx the SGA team has gotten into, some of which are repeated stupidity---says they ALL need to be wraithed. :cool:

Rac80
June 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well said! And you're right, McKay's fighting skills aren't the only thing about him that suffer mass inconsistencies. And I think you're right about the reason, too: TPTB write him in whatever way is convenient for an ep rather than looking into the long-term effects/possibilities. He seems to be their favorite character to write, but it hasn't done him any favors. Sure, he's in the spotlight in nearly every ep, but if you try to track his "progress" as a character all you get is a messy, uneven blob. Every time it seems like he's moving forward, another ep will come along to set him back- sometimes even further than he was in the previous ep. :rolleyes:

McKay used to be my favorite character, now I can't stand the sight of him. Way to go, writers. :rolleyes:

well said ITA (well except for the part of him EVER being my favorite character) but i can't stand him period now! WHEN HE SHOWS UP, THE MUTE BUTTON GETS HIT.

PG15
June 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Then you'll miss important plot points.

Since, you know, he's really really really important to the show. ;)

Dax
June 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
McKay could probably win in a

eating contest

beside the daily pissing contest.

McKaysLady
June 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I much rather see McKay with a P-90 then Keller with one! :) And though he may whine, when his team needs him he does pull himself together.

I would like to see something, though, even though TPTB probably won't do it. And I don't think that it ever happened on SG-1. I'd like to see McKay shoot and acually kill another human being.:O I'm not saying in murder, I'm saying in self defense. Rodney can shoot at wraith, replicators, and maybe hybrids. But he's never had to kill another human being.

starfox
June 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'd like to see a Rodney-Teyla stick scene for the character moment, as well as the fact that it would be nice to have the confirmation that the team does keep him trained in some sort of combat skills, whether or not he's good at it. It would be silly of them not to. Or perhaps an opening scene where he's on the firing range, renewing his firearms license. We don't need to see the whole thing, just a few shots down the range and a "You passed, Dr. McKay," would do.

He may be a scientist, but he's also on a first-contact off-world team that goes into dangerous situations, and we've seen him along on rescue missions. It's highly improbable that anyone in those sorts of situations for 4 years wouldn't pick up some skills along the way. I don't need to see him be Rambo, but I can't accept Rodney-as-a-combat-buffoon situations any more; I can't suspend disbelief for that.

It would be interesting to see a B-plot where all of the scientists have to pass some sort of combat test as an IOA review. It wouldn't be enough to build an entire episode around, but it would be interesting to throw in there, a nice twist on the background bureaucracy.

ykickamoocow
June 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I much rather see McKay with a P-90 then Keller with one! :) And though he may whine, when his team needs him he does pull himself together.

I would like to see something, though, even though TPTB probably won't do it. And I don't think that it ever happened on SG-1. I'd like to see McKay shoot and acually kill another human being.:O I'm not saying in murder, I'm saying in self defense. Rodney can shoot at wraith, replicators, and maybe hybrids. But he's never had to kill another human being.

Yes that would be good to see as it would show that his character has evolved and i would imagine shooting a human would be alot tougher mentally than shooting a Wraith.

I'd like to see a Rodney-Teyla stick scene for the character moment, as well as the fact that it would be nice to have the confirmation that the team does keep him trained in some sort of combat skills, whether or not he's good at it. It would be silly of them not to. Or perhaps an opening scene where he's on the firing range, renewing his firearms license. We don't need to see the whole thing, just a few shots down the range and a "You passed, Dr. McKay," would do.

He may be a scientist, but he's also on a first-contact off-world team that goes into dangerous situations, and we've seen him along on rescue missions. It's highly improbable that anyone in those sorts of situations for 4 years wouldn't pick up some skills along the way. I don't need to see him be Rambo, but I can't accept Rodney-as-a-combat-buffoon situations any more; I can't suspend disbelief for that.

I agree 100%. The scene with Ronon and McKay in "First Strike" was used purely as humour and when you think about it Ronon is not the best person to teach McKay basic combat. Teyla is the far better choice as she looks to be a better teacher and a much calmer person.

wilsan
July 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM

I don't know about any of you? But I recently watched Harmony, and I couldn't help myself from LMAO every time McKay opened his mouth. I find that when he whines and complains, I cann't help but laughing.

kymeric
July 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Two words...... stick fighting!

ykickamoocow
July 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Two words...... stick fighting!

Id love to see afew scenes in season 5 where Teyla is teaching mcKay how to stick fight. He doesnt have to be good but it would be nice to see his teammates taking a active interest in improving his fighting skills.

There was a scene in "First Strike" (i think) where Ronon was trying to teach McKay but i honestly felt that Teyla would have been the far better option to try and teach McKay as she would have alot more patients than Ronon would. Also Teyla owes McKay since

McKay delivered her baby

So she could make it her personal mission to improve mcKay's stick fighting skills :)

GateofDOOM
July 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
BUMP

Spoilers for "Search and Rescue"

While McKay didnt do any fighting as such his character development from season 1 Rodney to season 5 Rodney were really obvious.

1. McKay flying the jumper really well
2. McKay wanting to take on a Wraith crusier in nothing but a jumper (with him flying it) while Carter wanted to remain cloaked and wait for backup.
3. On the Wraith crusier McKay actually took the lead (he was running infront of Ronon and Sheppard). Season 1 McKay would never have put himself in that much danger.

I thought that was great. Hopefully he continues down this path of you know...competence. Not a sharp shooter by any means, but competent.

And i'd love to see some stick fighting lessons! (real ones!)

d10sfan
July 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I really like how they portrayed McKay in 5x1 when he tells Keller to look at Lorne instead of him and when he argues with Sam to stay

Platschu
July 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM
McKay's Fighting Skills -

Hm. Does he have anything at all? :mckayanime17:

Rac80
July 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Then you'll miss important plot points.

Since, you know, he's really really really important to the show. ;)

LOL that is what closed captioning is for... so I no longer have to hear that whiiiiiiiiiineeeeeee in his voice! ;) modern technology is wonderful isn't it? ;)

PG15
July 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Certainly more so than antiquated mindsets.