This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay's Fighting Skills

Is anyone else rather happy with how the writers have prgressed with McKay in regards to his fighting skills. In late season 4 he was firing the P90 and he looked totally at ease with the weapon. In season 1 they made McKay the comic relief when handling guns and it was painful to watch as Daniel Jackson (who also had no firearms experiance) didnt make those kind of mistakes in the early seasons of Stargate SG1.

Im mainly creating this thread to ask what would you guys like to see in season 5 in regards to McKay fighting and what wouldnt you like to see.

Here are mine

What i want to see
    - McKay continuing to improve with all forms of firearms
    - Afew scenes where Teyla is trying to teach McKay some basic hand to hand combat (they did this with Ronon trying to teach McKay in a season 3 episode but i got the impression that Ronon wasnt the best teacher for Rodney. I think Teyla would be far more suited to the role).
    - I would really like to see a episode where McKay must fight the bad guys by himself to save the rest of the team.

What i dont want to see
    - Any regression in his fighting abilities (which would make no sense).
    - McKay being used as comic relief when handling weapons of any kind like he was in the first 2 seasons.

I'm not sure but he's still comic relief when he handles his P-90, he hardly looks where he's shooting (ref: Reunion, and he wasn't much better in Missing).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

His technique with the P90 is what we like to call "Spray and Pray"... McKay closes his eyes most of the time while holding the trigger and simply prays that he hits something. Not exactly alot of skill involved...

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

And the idea of the team relying on McKay to take down a bad guy? That'll be a sad day in Pegasus.

Comment

The writers have been wildly and obnoxiously inconsistent with McKay's combat skills. As far back as "The Defiant One," he was able to fire a gun with extreme accuracy. As recently as "Missing," he was just blindly shooting at nothing.
          Theoretically spoilerish:
          Spoiler:
          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
            The writers have been wildly and obnoxiously inconsistent with McKay's combat skills. As far back as "The Defiant One," he was able to fire a gun with extreme accuracy. As recently as "Missing," he was just blindly shooting at nothing.
            In Defiant One, he had to, he saw his enemy, and new that otherwise, he would die for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
              In Defiant One, he had to, he saw his enemy, and new that otherwise, he would die for sure...
              And he's not worried about dying in other situations where he's portrayed as a clumsy buffoon?
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                Is anyone else rather happy with how the writers have prgressed with McKay in regards to his fighting skills. In late season 4 he was firing the P90 and he looked totally at ease with the weapon. In season 1 they made McKay the comic relief when handling guns and it was painful to watch as Daniel Jackson (who also had no firearms experiance) didnt make those kind of mistakes in the early seasons of Stargate SG1.

Im mainly creating this thread to ask what would you guys like to see in season 5 in regards to McKay fighting and what wouldnt you like to see.

Here are mine

What i want to see
                - McKay continuing to improve with all forms of firearms
                - Afew scenes where Teyla is trying to teach McKay some basic hand to hand combat (they did this with Ronon trying to teach McKay in a season 3 episode but i got the impression that Ronon wasnt the best teacher for Rodney. I think Teyla would be far more suited to the role).
                And yet, that really isn't Rodney's character. He is a scientist. He's the one being protected while he tries to figure out how to save the day. And let's face it, he's graceless and clumsy, and seems to be inept and just plain uninterested in hand-to-hand.

- I would really like to see a episode where McKay must fight the bad guys by himself to save the rest of the team.
                THE HIVE! THE HIVE!

What i dont want to see
                - Any regression in his fighting abilities (which would make no sense).
                - McKay being used as comic relief when handling weapons of any kind like he was in the first 2 seasons.
                Oh me too. But I've never been a big supporter of McKay the Clown anyway.

But neccessity doesn't negate skill. If he could do it once, he can do it again.

I would just like to see McKay be more comfortable with the P-90. He seems to use the point, close your eyes, shoot, and pray method too often.

I just don't see McKay learning any real fighting techniques.
                sigpic

Comment

I'd just prefer some consistency. If they want to make him a clumsy buffoon who doesn't know which end the bullets come out of, fine, but don't show him being competent and proficient in random episodes. OR, if (as with Daniel) you're going to show him as gaining experience and accuracy, then please, for the love of fluffy puppies, stop turning him into an incompetent twit in random eps.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    I'd just prefer some consistency. If they want to make him a clumsy buffoon who doesn't know which end the bullets come out of, fine, but don't show him being competent and proficient in random episodes. OR, if (as with Daniel) you're going to show him as gaining experience and accuracy, then please, for the love of fluffy puppies, stop turning him into an incompetent twit in random eps.
                    Completely agree.
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

And he's not worried about dying in other situations where he's portrayed as a clumsy buffoon?
                      In most other situations, he's not really facing the death.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        I agree completely. McKay hasnt been done consistantly in regards to his combat skills. In "The Kindred" (both parts 1 and 2) McKay was shown as a person who could handle a P90 quite well but there have been other episodes in season 4 where he doesnt handle it aswell.

I hope they use the Daniel Jackson model. In season 1 of SG1 he was completely useless with a gun but by season 5 he was very good and he stayed very good right until the end of season 10.

Even though McKay is shooting ok in some episodes the writers (or more likely the directer) arnt showing anything. Can anyone remember if McKay has a confirmed kill as they keep showing him shooting his P90 but they dont actually show him hitting anything?

Comment

In most other situations, he's not really facing the death.
                          That's a real stretch in my opinion. McKay ALWAYS thinks he's facing death. And just because one's facing death doesn't mean they're suddenly imbued with a skill they wouldn't otherwise have. In fact, for most people -- especially someone like McKay -- it would have the opposite effect, eroding whatever the skill in question is.
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                            I agree completely. McKay hasnt been done consistantly in regards to his combat skills. In "The Kindred" (both parts 1 and 2) McKay was shown as a person who could handle a P90 quite well but there have been other episodes in season 4 where he doesnt handle it aswell.

I hope they use the Daniel Jackson model. In season 1 of SG1 he was completely useless with a gun but by season 5 he was very good and he stayed very good right until the end of season 10.

Even though McKay is shooting ok in some episodes the writers (or more likely the directer) arnt showing anything. Can anyone remember if McKay has a confirmed kill as they keep showing him shooting his P90 but they dont actually show him hitting anything?
                            That I'm not sure about.

I agree about the Daniel Jackson model being a good one. Outside of McKay, he's been the most interesting character in the series because of how he's changed. Sometimes I miss the old "I don't want to shoot anybody" Mr. Optomism Daniel, but as someone who appreciates character growth, "I'll do what I have to" Mr. Jaded Daniel is great. And he's extremely accurate with weapons now.
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

in the defiant one he was shooting a 9 mil and a P90 in missing. theres more recoil on a P90

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                              Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Working...
                              X