Different Size Stargates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Size Stargates

Okay so in SG1 and Atlantis we have seen a number of different sized stargates.

Normal size: MW/PG stargates.
    Orlin's mini stargate.
    The Supergates.
    And lastly the Tollan gate which is slightly smaller than a normal one.

Anyway as far as i know all of these gates can be made to connect to each other, however what happens if you connect a supergate to a normal sized gate and send a large ship through???

Also the same could be said to connecting a normal sized gate to the tollan's and sending a really tall person trough or a puddle jumper.

What would happen? would the object simply not rematerialise? Would it shrink?!?! Would part of it rematerialise but the some not?

It was only the actually gate of the Tollans that was smaller than the normal ones, the size of the wormhole would be the same. And, I believe that you only can send matter to gates either the same size or bigger size.

Comment

No one knows since we've never seen something go from a larger gate to a smaller gate, only the other way around.

There could be a failsafe, you could come out proportionally smaller then before, you could simply not go through at all. All speculation will little real facts to extrapolate from.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        No one knows since we've never seen something go from a larger gate to a smaller gate, only the other way around.

There could be a failsafe, you could come out proportionally smaller then before, you could simply not go through at all. All speculation will little real facts to extrapolate from.
        exactly

Just want to add that the smaller gate might just not materialize the excess. But who knows, we probably never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post

That's not entirely true. We know SG1 traveled to and FROM Tollana's smaller stargate. While it wasn't on screen, it did happen. As SG1 had to return by stargate somehow.

Comment

the event horizons were of similair size, the ring was smaller on tollana

Comment

From the perspective of a programmer and using some logic, here's what I'd say:

Any cautious programmer when dealing with an issue like this would disallow a gate from connecting to a smaller one, as you cannot reliably predict the other gate's ability to reconstruct the sent object as it was when it entered.

Changing the size of the object would be a serious error. The gates are supposed to rebuild the object EXACTLY like it was sent.

When human life is involved on Earth, programmers are VERY cautious. Some aircraft manufacturers on Earth force their programmers to take the test flights with their code keeping them in the air, to ensure they don't get lazy (after going through all possible on-ground tests).

I imagine the Ancients would have done something similar. We know they built a large number of safety systems into the gates and DHDs, so it stands to reason...

Edit: This may also fall under the heading of an unforeseen state for the system to be in, so errors are possible, but as a programmer, I do my best to never make assumptions and fail fast and loud when "impossible" states do happen, meaning if I'd programmed it, the gate wouldn't connect in the above situation.
              Last edited by ascendedancient42; 19 April 2008, 07:07 AM.
              Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

IIRC the Tollan gate does not have the moving inner ring. The quip Jack made about the Tollan gate being smaller is the fact that the distance between the inside to outside edge of the ring was smaller. The actual area in the middle where the event horizon forms is the same diameter. That also reminds me, did the Tollans ever build their own version of a DHD because I don't recall seeing that ever when they show shots of their new homeworld. The Asgard had that palm jewel device and the Nox seems to be able to dial the gate with their minds.

Comment

We never saw more than a small part of the Tollana 'Gate and it was at a severe angle. I think Jack was just being Jack's good old funny self. The ring was thinner, but something tells me that the difference in sizes wouldn't be much more than a foot or so either way.
                  Orlin's 'Gate is another story. From what we know of wormhole physics, it doesn't seem to scale up. Scaling down (super 'Gate -> normal 'Gate) we don't know about, but it seems the even horizon maintains the right sizes.
                  When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                  Zatnikitelman

Comment

The event horizon is the threshold of the wormhole. The gate is what demolecularize matter and converts it to energy and then it transmits it into the event horizon.

Comment

Mckay discussed this lightly in the Pegasus Project. Mitchell claimed that a special control crystal is needed to compensate the difference in size.
                      Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

i thought that control crystal was to enable the long distance connection
                        (am i wrong?)
                        And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Originally posted by Bodmanbod View Post
                          Okay so in SG1 and Atlantis we have seen a number of different sized stargates.

Normal size: MW/PG stargates.
                          Orlin's mini stargate.
                          The Supergates.
                          And lastly the Tollan gate which is slightly smaller than a normal one.

Anyway as far as i know all of these gates can be made to connect to each other, however what happens if you connect a supergate to a normal sized gate and send a large ship through???

Also the same could be said to connecting a normal sized gate to the tollan's and sending a really tall person trough or a puddle jumper.

What would happen? would the object simply not rematerialise? Would it shrink?!?! Would part of it rematerialise but the some not?
                          SG-1 managed to connect the normal gate to the supergate due to the fact that a gate dialled and applied with more energy than required would "skip" the destination and go to the next gate in line. They exploited this technicality to prevent Ori ships from going through. For Orlin's gate, we do not know yet its size, so we can't say it is smaller. The Tollan gate, it doesn't matter what size its outer circumference. What matters is the inner circumference, where we pass through.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
                          Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
                          The Chevron Team
                          Spoiler:
                          Never make everything Organic!
                          Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
                          :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
                          :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
                          :The drones are heading towards us.
                          :Those drones look familiar...
                          : SQUID?!?
                          We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
                            For Orlin's gate, we do not know yet its size, so we can't say it is smaller.
                            Yes we Can. It was 8 feet tall and you couldn't walk through it, but had to jump horizontally.

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s5/5...x03%5F546.html
                            vs
                            http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s10/...20%5F0809.html

i would say there is quite a bit of difference. One gate is barely 6 feet in diameter.

Comment

But it connected to Velona's stargate. Which means they are compatible.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
                              Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
                              The Chevron Team
                              Spoiler:
                              Never make everything Organic!
                              Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
                              :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
                              :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
                              :The drones are heading towards us.
                              :Those drones look familiar...
                              : SQUID?!?
                              We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X