Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know what is up and down in Space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know what is up and down in Space?

First off, I don't know if this has been discussed, or if it is even worth discussing, but since I'm curious, and perhaps someone else is too, I'm gonna post this anyway...

----------

How do you know what is up or down when you are in space?

If you are in orbit around a planet then down is obviously the direction of the planet. But what about other times, we've seen ships drop out of hyperspace several times, and if there is already a ship there, they always have the downside of the ship in the same direction. Why is that?(Except for the fact that it is most likely made this way when filming) How come that every single ship has down in the same direction if there's no gravity in space?

~SG-Kamikaze

Spoiler:
    PS. If anyone has proof that this isn't always the case, then please post a screenshot. DS

There's no in-story explanation, that's just how the CG is done. Although not always...

Spoiler:

Comment

A prearranged agreement between the parties involved is made beforehand to decide the 360 degree bearing of the ships in play.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        There's no in-story explanation, that's just how the CG is done. Although not always...

Spoiler:
        Hmm, what episode is that, I recently watched all the Atlantis episodes?

Also, they all have their downside in somewhat the same direction, it isn't like some of them are "upsidedown" compared to the others...Or at least I can't see one.

Comment

That is "Be All My Sins Remembered", episode 11 from season 4.

Comment

In stargate sometimes the wraith ships, or even the Daedulas comes in at an angle at times.
            Spoiler:
            http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/411/html/bamsr0046.html

In Star Trek it was because all ships are/were Physical models that had limited range of motions.(Ie it was easier to move the camera to make it appear on it's side)

In star Wars well you just don't see that much actual space meetings compared to the other shows, but had similar problems.

In B5 sometimes you can see ships orient themselves as they come out the jumpgate, though most of the time they already are.

Ultimately it is the directors who decide. They have a hard enough time imagining the size of space.

Comment

One theory is it's some quirk of hyperspace travel in relation to the plane of the Galaxy.
              Another theory is that it's just in relation to the plane of the Galaxy.
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Kamikaze View Post
                First off, I don't know if this has been discussed, or if it is even worth discussing, but since I'm curious, and perhaps someone else is too, I'm gonna post this anyway...

----------

How do you know what is up or down when you are in space?

If you are in orbit around a planet then down is obviously the direction of the planet. But what about other times, we've seen ships drop out of hyperspace several times, and if there is already a ship there, they always have the downside of the ship in the same direction. Why is that?(Except for the fact that it is most likely made this way when filming) How come that every single ship has down in the same direction if there's no gravity in space?

~SG-Kamikaze

Spoiler:
                PS. If anyone has proof that this isn't always the case, then please post a screenshot. DS
                It is relative to the center of the galaxy. As our solar system orbits the center of the galaxy it also occilated up and down at 30 million year intervals. Theres a center of gravity that attracts us up when were down and down when were up. Thats how u tell galactic N/S.

Otherwise unless theres something equivilant with the universe entire from the big bang... there is no other noticable up or down that matters.

Comment

Up and Down are relative.

If you are in a spiral galaxy, then ther farther you travel the more likely your encounter is to be nose to nose.

Sci Fi shows are getting better at remembering space isn't the surface of an ocean. Battlestar in particular.

Comment

It's easy to tell where down is, it's always the direction of your enemies gate.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      It's easy to tell where down is, it's always the direction of your enemies gate.

Comment

Gotta love the Ender's Game reference.
                        From this day to the ending of the world,
                        We in it shall be remembered --
                        We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
                        - Shakespeare's Henry V

Comment

Space ships in sci-fi shows always seem to be in agreement about "up and down" orientation for the same reason we hear an explosion when one of them blows up.

Comment

There is no up or down in space, its all relative. Coming in at perfect angles to planets, maybe satellies etc is only done for tv because it looks better/cooler.

Comment

or maybe it is because the artificial gravity costs less power if it pulls towards a planet, so they always have the bottom towards the planet

Comment

Working...
                              X