Two way travel through a wormhole is possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two way travel through a wormhole is possible

Okay, so I've been thinking about this and 2 way travel between 2 stargates via a wormhole (inbound or outbound) is completely possible.

Matter is converted into energy when it enters the event horizon of an outgoing wormhole and transmitted to the receiving gate. The limitation the Stargate has is that it cannot pass matter back through an incoming wormhole as that conversion from energy to matter can only occur on the event horizon of the incoming wormhole.

However, we do know that energy can pass through a wormhole in both directions. The key to this problem is to circumvent the use of the event horizon. If the matter was already converted to energy before it was transmitted through an incoming wormhole then you would be able to reconstitute that energy back into matter from the other side. Therefore you can use the wormhole solely to transmit energy and reform that energy back into matter through another method.

We've seen a lot of matter/energy converters on the show. The Ancient Rings and transport system. The Wraith culling beam. And the Asgard beamng technology. I don't think Ancient rings would be a very viable option as I think the rings have to be physically close to create a matter stream to transmit the energy. But I do think Ancient Beaming Tech and Wraith Culling Tech are very viable options that when used in conjuction with the Stargate would open up the possibility for two way travel through a wormhole.

where have you seen energy traveling both ways through a wormhole?

So far, the only thing seen being able to travel both ways was radio waves, and thats it.
    Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
      where have you seen energy traveling both ways through a wormhole?

So far, the only thing seen being able to travel both ways was radio waves, and thats it.
      So what are radio waves then?

Comment

The problem with two-way travel would be interference. Remember, some data, when transmitted together, cause interference with each other and it gets corrupted. Radio waves through a wormhole don't send clear views, there seems to be static, and since the MALP was designed for surveillance, they can't just have put in cheap cameras and antennas there, since they might miss anything harmful. Crystal clear MALP camera + Good antenna= Crystal-clear transmission. So where did the static come from? The Ancients didn't want to journey there and end up there with switched body parts. Which means, they disallowed two-way travel due to interference from the two energies traveling through the gate, which can end up in switched bodies.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
        Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
        The Chevron Team
        Spoiler:
        Never make everything Organic!
        Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
        :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
        :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
        :The drones are heading towards us.
        :Those drones look familiar...
        : SQUID?!?
        We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Merlins lab transporting obelisks were an example of non-stargate transport beams going thru a stargate. We dont know if the obelisks used the recieving obelisk to materilze or if it was just a sender.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            Merlins lab transporting obelisks were an example of non-stargate transport beams going thru a stargate. We dont know if the obelisks used the recieving obelisk to materilze or if it was just a sender.
            What are transport beams? Energy signatures, with a person in them, right? Even if we use other stuff, it won't be possible. If Bluetooth interferes with a plane's radio signals, what more of energy signatures? Plus they need to override some Ancient protocols. McGyvering the DHD was hard enough, what if you need to McGyver the gate itself?

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
            Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
            The Chevron Team
            Spoiler:
            Never make everything Organic!
            Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
            :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
            :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
            :The drones are heading towards us.
            :Those drones look familiar...
            : SQUID?!?
            We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by AncientOne View Post
              Okay, so I've been thinking about this and 2 way travel between 2 stargates via a wormhole (inbound or outbound) is completely possible.

Matter is converted into energy when it enters the event horizon of an outgoing wormhole and transmitted to the receiving gate. The limitation the Stargate has is that it cannot pass matter back through an incoming wormhole as that conversion from energy to matter can only occur on the event horizon of the incoming wormhole.

However, we do know that energy can pass through a wormhole in both directions. The key to this problem is to circumvent the use of the event horizon. If the matter was already converted to energy before it was transmitted through an incoming wormhole then you would be able to reconstitute that energy back into matter from the other side. Therefore you can use the wormhole solely to transmit energy and reform that energy back into matter through another method.

We've seen a lot of matter/energy converters on the show. The Ancient Rings and transport system. The Wraith culling beam. And the Asgard beamng technology. I don't think Ancient rings would be a very viable option as I think the rings have to be physically close to create a matter stream to transmit the energy. But I do think Ancient Beaming Tech and Wraith Culling Tech are very viable options that when used in conjuction with the Stargate would open up the possibility for two way travel through a wormhole.
              My only question is, why didnt the ancients set it up this way then? I'll give you the milky way gates, since it was the first gate network, but how about the pegasus gates?

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                My only question is, why didnt the ancients set it up this way then? I'll give you the milky way gates, since it was the first gate network, but how about the pegasus gates?
                Why? gate travel is simple and straight forward. there are only a handful of tactical times when two way gate travel would be useful. a simple probe to determine the status of the DHD before hand is all that is needed.

Simplicity is the key to reliability. The longest lasting devices have the fewest overall parts. Adding an extra transport system, power source, control system, is a waste for 99.9999999999999999% of the time the gate will be used.

all statistics are made up, just remember the gates are thousands of years old.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                  Why? gate travel is simple and straight forward. there are only a handful of tactical times when two way gate travel would be useful. a simple probe to determine the status of the DHD before hand is all that is needed.

Simplicity is the key to reliability. The longest lasting devices have the fewest overall parts. Adding an extra transport system, power source, control system, is a waste for 99.9999999999999999% of the time the gate will be used.

all statistics are made up, just remember the gates are thousands of years old.
                  Actually the gates are millions of years old.

And i wasn't supporting the need to have 2 way travel. I was merely saying that if 2 way travel could be achieved, and there was a need for it, why didn't the ancients do it.

And there is nothing easy and straight forward about how the gates operate. Think of a 2-way gate as a door in your house. The gate currently does 3 things: ability to dial to another address, ability to establish a connection with another address, dematerialize and re-materialize matter 1 way. You would only add another function such as the last. The gate would function input/output either way, whether its 2 way or 1 way travel. Whatever information is inputed into a gate, it would output that information to the other gate. And the gate is already set up in this way, but only for 1 way travel.

And there are more then a handful of reasons why a gate would be useful if it was 2 way, and not even in a tactical military way. And as for your probe example: what if you sent a probe through the gate and it emerged in a hostile environment. You just lost a probe. If you had 2 way gate travel, immediately when either the probe or yourself realized there was danger, it would return through and you would shut off the gate/activate the iris/sheild once the probe returned. With 1 way travel, that probe or someone else on the other gate would have to dial back to return.

Comment

According to Carter its matter that cannot travel both ways through an open wormhole. Radio waves can travel both ways through an open wormhole because its energy and has no mass. The obelisk we saw in The Quest and the ones the Sodan use are probably the same design. In both cases there are two, one on each end just like stargates and rings. First one turns you into energy and sends your pattern to the second one which turns you back into matter. Even the Asgard has similar devices on their protected planets to get in and out of the secret chambers. The ones the Sodan had can teleport you several hundred km across a planet's surface, possibly using relays like the gate bridge but this was never mentioned on the show. Anyway, in The Quest the obelisks were observed to only transport matter one way through an outgoing wormhole.

It might not even be possible to implement two way travel through an open wormhole. You think if it could have been done the Ancients would have included the feature in to begin with. Then again they may have felt that the extra hardware requirements to both the gate and DHD to make 2-way travel possible was not worth the effort due to the rare occasion when the feature is actually needed. So the current gate/DHD design does not support 2-way travel through an open wormhole but it is theoretically possible. Of course the *******s ascended before they made a gate that could so the knowledge is lost with them.

Comment

Originally posted by AncientOne View Post

The event horizon is part of the wormhole, the gate is what converts the matter to energy. There are many inconsistence on the show as to what the gate itself does.

The problem if the gate was two way would be if two objects or people entered the gate at the same time from opposite sides. They would be re-materializing into each other. But yes you could probably do it with beaming tech.

I believe this was discussed before a couple years ago in some long forgotten and probably archived thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X