PDA

View Full Version : All Female Team

Pages : [1] 2

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Allow me to introduce...

Major Anne Teldy Christina Cox
http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blog/tuned/uploaded_images/cast_ChristinaCox-779658.jpg

Captain Alicia Vega Leela Savasta
http://www.leelasavasta.ca/images/leela_savasta_biography.jpg

Sergeant “Dusty” Mehra Janina Gavankar
http://www.l-word.com/news/images/janina.jpg

Dr. Alison Porter Nicole de Boer
http://www.ufpofsa.org/Interviews/Nicole_DeBoer/Nicole_de_Boer_04.jpg

I'm glad they haven't gone for women that all look like models, and I just hope we'll get some variety with their nationalities, thoughts?

Repli!kat
April 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Allow me to introduce...

I'm glad they haven't gone for women that all look like models, and I just hope we'll get some variety with their nationalities, thoughts?

?????????????? My ophthalmologist has some open appointments next week, if you need new glasses?

They are a varied group of beautiful women, though.

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Well I'm looking forward to this anyway :cool:

Jumper_One
April 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
oh yeah I like those pics :D

Killdeer
April 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm glad they haven't gone for women that all look like models

They haven't? *blinks* Could have fooled me. Janina especially looks like an escapee from America's Next Top Model.

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
?????????????? My ophthalmologist has some open appointments next week, if you need new glasses?

They're all good looking I'll give you that, but I wouldn't say any of them except maybe Vega are stunners, they just look like ordinary women for the most part to me.

Lythisrose
April 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
They're all good looking I'll give you that, but I wouldn't say any of them except maybe Vega are stunners, they just look like ordinary women for the most part to me.

Where do you live? I think half the men on this forum will move there!;)

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Admittedly I do know a few strippers, maybe that's why :o

Reiko
April 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
They haven't? *blinks* Could have fooled me. Janina especially looks like an escapee from America's Next Top Model.

.: ITA - 'Next Top Model' reject was the first thing I thought. They do look like models, except Porter, and all look lovely. No denying they are beautiful. Yet I'm still disappointed in PTB going all the way in the "hot chicks" route :mckay:

Silversi
April 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Nicole is a pretty good actress...she was on 'The Dead Zone' that ran on USA...that'll be fun to see her have scenes in Atlantis. :)

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Where do you live? I think half the men on this forum will move there!;)

LMAO! :D ...it does sound like a nice place ;)

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
.: ITA - 'Next Top Model' reject was the first thing I thought. They do look like models, except Porter, and all look lovely. No denying they are beautiful. Yet I'm still disappointed in PTB going all the way in the "hot chicks" route :mckay:

It's hardly the 'hot chicks' route, those are promo shots designed to make the actresses look hot, it's not like they're going to look like that when they're camo'd up running around in a forest!

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It's hardly the 'hot chicks' route, those are promo shots designed to make the actresses look hot, it's not like they're going to look like that when they're camo'd up running around in a forest!

Yup I don't think stilettos would work well in that terrain either :P

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Any ideas on their nationalities? I'm guessing Dusty will be Indian and the rest American...

Silversi
April 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
yeah...but think of Amanda and Teryl, both supremely beautiful in uniform!

Killdeer
April 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Actually.....

I am disappointed about that too, but as far as the individual casting goes....Janina is the one who pushes it over the edge, IMO. Nicole is a good choice for Dr Porter, Christina is a good choice for Major Teldy IMO - she's guest starred on just about everything (kind of like Jessica Steen) and I've always liked her in the roles I've seen her in. And we already knew about Leela. But Janina - that just pushes the whole thing over the edge into an SGC's Hottest lineup.

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Any ideas on their nationalities? I'm guessing Dusty will be Indian and the rest American...

Leela Savasta was born and raised in Vancouver, Canada. She is also a dual citizen with the United States...

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Leela Savasta was born and raised in Vancouver, Canada. She is also a dual citizen with the United States...

I meant the characters ;)

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I meant the characters ;)

Ohh :S ...I'm definately having another Walter day :P

iolanda
April 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Nicole de Boer! Geat!

Maybe they put her together with McKay in a box and make The Cube - 15 years later :D (no, I dont wish that, really - but I'd love a hint, a quote ore something).

And for the hot chick thingie: it isn't really bothering me. They are actors and they look different when they wake up in the morning before they go into mask. OK, they might be prettier than most of us but then - they are actors.

Trek_Girl42
April 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Is this in earnest? There's going to be an all-female team? Not to mention an all-female team that do indeed look like models. :rolleyes: How about put a couple of women on Lorne's team? Why should they be separating out the genders in to different teams!? :rolleyes:

Seeing Nicole De Boer on the show would be cool though.

The rest of it.....I'll have to wait and see. :S

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Is this in earnest? There's going to be an all-female team? Not to mention an all-female team that do indeed look like models. :rolleyes: How about put a couple of women on Lorne's team? Why should they be separating out the genders in to different teams!? :rolleyes:

Seeing Nicole De Boer on the show would be cool though.

The rest of it.....I'll have to wait and see. :S

I believe it is just for this one episode, 'Whispers'... :)

"Said hello [to] Paul McGillion back who dropped by the production offices on his way to his wardrobe fitting for 'The Seed.' I pitched him 'Whispers.' He was predictably delighted at the prospect of being stranded off-world with an all-female team."
(Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at his blog)
http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5/507.shtml

atlantis_babe34
April 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
whooooooooooo! Christina Cox yay!!!

hope she's got the same kick ass personality that she has in Blood Ties:D

Agent_Dark
April 12th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I guess all the people (women?) complaining about 'casting hot models' would prefer if Flanigan, Momoa, Hewlett and Smith were replaced by butt ugly guys.

iolanda
April 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Maybe having more hot female characters will even the ratio between males and females at conventions :D:D:D

Klenotka
April 12th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Nicole de Boer - the best news in SGA in two years :D

I hope that we will meet them all more often when they are doing such an event from that.
And I hope this doesn´t mean that we will see less Lorne in S5 :(

akren
April 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Having established that the all-female team is played @ least semi-descent & atrractive, strong women (both individually & as a group); I am more interested ot see the characters & how they interact with one another & Shep's Team - particularly considering alot of front line tropps are male.

Women here in the Australian Army aren't allowed to serve on front lines (don't ask me why, I've had plenty of women kick my ass over the years, I know they can hold theitr own! :o); but it is good to see STARGATE & the female military characters in SGA &SG-1 giving women in the military a good wrap & showing they can be sexy/smart/sophisticated AND kick ass (literally & figuratively).

I personally wanna see more of the all-female team & wtach them whump the boys from Atlantis (preferrably Shep) & pwn the Wraith! :cool:

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Nice to see Nicole again, last time I saw her was in DS9 and quite enjoyed her character despite the short run she had. I think she does look the part of a doctor so here's hoping they write her to be an interesting character.

Tal-Galahad
April 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Talking about supermodels: lol

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/hongkiat/IonaKnife3.jpg

Looks sweet, doesn`t she...

Honestly...if there is nothing to complain about, you guys are perfect in searching for something to complain.
We all know about Leela and not only SG wanted her but BSG as well...hmmm...makes you think about her as a good actress.

Christina is 36 years old for gods sake...not the mid-twen you would have expected.

Nicole is 38 years old and something you could call a scifi-veteran

Janina...well, you can see the picture. I think she fits perfectly the type of woman they wanted, according to the casting call I read.

Overall I think they made a pretty good job here. I`m totally looking forward to this one...

SGFerrit
April 12th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I noticed people moaning about the all female team expecting them to be too beautiful/look like hookers. These woman look pretty normal to me, good looking yes, but there are still some people complaining.

Maybe the next all female team could consist of women inflicted with elephantitis. Wouldn't that just be so much better? And don't forget, we have to replace Shep, Ronon and Lorne with rabid, deformed hobos too! It's gotta be a fair deal now!

Jackie
April 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Allow me to introduce...

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blog/tuned/uploaded_images/cast_ChristinaCox-779658.jpg

LMAO...boy do they ever look like models. Or maybe it's me that needs new glasses?:cool:;):)

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Honestly, I think it's more about the ages for me than the looks. Because I don't have a problem with Christina or Nicole, but they're both actresses in their 30s. Beautiful women yes, but definitely women, not girls. This thing with bringing in the cute young chicks started with Jewel, and it's continued to irritate me since then. I didn't like the casting of Leela, and Janina is just another one along those lines, although granted her character's not likely to live past this episode.

And as far as the guys go, when they start bringing in the cute 20-something boys, we'll talk. Right now all of their guys are close to 40 if not over (JF is 41) except for Jason, and no one is going to mistake him for a boy.

DetriusXii
April 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
And it's becoming a tired concept that all these female experts are 30 or under. There are supergeniuses above 30 and likely possess more experience under their belt. Teryl Rothery was at the appropriate age to play a talent doctor with loads of experience under her belt. Because these actresses are all very young, it's becoming clear that the advertising slogan for Atlantis will become "Stargate: Atlantis, now with more breasts!"

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Frat boys had a night out and got drunk... next thing we know we have an all female team who looks like they could be whining about breaking a nail... Don't know the lot of them...

One thing I'm quite sure of... their characters won't even make it one-dimensional. Have a little fun with the boys and that will be it... Mmm... I see Trio-potential in the near future, and that ain't a good thing.

iolanda
April 12th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I think they are soldiers, not veterans.

Teryl played a doctor with loads of experience - Jewel doesn't. Her chara even complained about not having experience enough in the first eposode she was in.

Sorry, but I just can't see the base of your complaints. And I am neither male nor lesbian.

ToasterOnFire
April 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Because that way the gals can have awesome transformation sequences!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0jQqRqfpBE&feature=related) :rolleyes:

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Frat boys had a night out and got drunk... next thing we know we have an all female team who looks like they could be whining about breaking a nail... Don't know the lot of them...

One thing I'm quite sure of... their characters won't even make it one-dimensional. Have a little fun with the boys and that will be it... Mmm... I see Trio-potential in the near future, and that ain't a good thing.

Frat boys? Well I for one will watch the episode before making a judgement. They are only casted for one stinkin episode, I'd give them a chance. Plus, this is Carson's episode that they are appearing in next season. The story will likely focus on Carson and how he returned and being written back into the show.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM
With the exception of Vega and possibly Dusty, I don't think they look like super models.
Porter is very pretty, but I don't think she's exactly supermodel.
Also I don't find Teldy attractive at all.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

In my eye the second and third one down (the pictures) look like model-material. Christina and Nicole look more mature. The first has worked on SG before and her resume was probably still archived somewhere. The latter might have to pull in new male viewers who liked her in ST and The Dead Zone.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM

And I think Christina Cox is beautiful. *shrugs*

Honestly, if Christina or someone similar had been cast for the role of Vega, I don't think I'd be having the problems I've had with the concept of that character. And if they'd brought in someone like Nicole de Boer for the role of Keller instead of Jewel, I don't think there'd be near as many people having issues with the Keller character (although yes, I know there's a few who would still be unhappy no matter what). But instead of replacing Paul with an actress about the same age, they replaced him with an actress 13 years younger. I'm sorry, that's just frustrating to me. And yes, I did warm to Keller somewhat toward the end of the season, but her youth does continue to be a constant problem I have to ignore. She is just simply not old enough to be in the role she's in.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Frat boys? Well I for one will watch the episode before making a judgement. They are only casted for one stinkin episode, I'd give them a chance. Plus, this is Carson's episode that they are appearing in next season. The story will likely focus on Carson and how he returned and being written back into the show.

:indeed:

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Mr. Optimistic strikes again. Was going to lay low until like June or so, but my optimism is needed. :p

DigiFluid
April 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Allow me to introduce...

[pics]

Oh lord. As much as I like the idea in general, the way this writing staff works all we'll get out of it will be some lousy 'comedy' episodes where McKay gets stuck on a mission with just them, or they all fall in love with Sheppard because of some alien doohickey, or any other number of contrived/cliched male/female interaction plots.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Mr. Optimistic strikes again. Was going to lay low until like June or so, but my optimism is needed. :p

Yup and I believe you're right... little is known about this ep in question and IMO this all Female team isn't going to be half the focus I'm getting the impression from how it is being brought up... I originally though 'Whispers' was going to deal with Carson and his experience of genetics, specifically the hybrids Michael is creating :)

SGFerrit
April 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Oh lord. As much as I like the idea in general, the way this writing staff works all we'll get out of it will be some lousy 'comedy' episodes where McKay gets stuck on a mission with just them, or they all fall in love with Sheppard because of some alien doohickey, or any other number of contrived/cliched male/female interaction plots.

You obviously haven't heard what the ep is about then...

DetriusXii
April 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Well, we got a taste of "comedy" in Irresistable. A comedy about rape wasn't all that funny. I think all the writers, except for Brad Wright, need to be replaced. They just can't do females or get Stargate right.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM
IMO this all Female team isn't going to be half the focus I'm getting the impression from how it is being brought up

With that I do agree. Although I still don't understand why an all-female team. A female leader? That's great. But creating an all-female team just to send out and get killed off in the horror episode of the year?

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
With that I do agree. Although I still don't understand why an all-female team. A female leader? That's great. But creating an all-female team just to send out and get killed off in the horror episode of the year?

That is a good question... I would think it just happens to be a group of women thrown together for whatever reason :)

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
An all-female team could be interesting but I guess I just will have to wait and see how it plays out however I do that there is at least one character that I will probably end up Loveing and that would be Major Tedly. I Love Christina Cox! I was so happy to hear that she was cast. Okay I will stop now my girl crush is showing.

jasminaGo
April 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I saw the pics and they're all beautiful women IMO.

But I don't want their whole appearance in the episode to consist of standing around, looking pretty. I want there to be a reason for all of them to get together and actualy do something. Sheppard's or Lorne's team are busy...or are coming later...or whatever...

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
But I don't want their whole appearance in the episode to consist of standing around, looking pretty. I want there to be a reason for all of them to get together and actualy do something. Sheppard's or Lorne's team are busy...or are coming later...or whatever...

Sheppard and Beckett are with them... There's a high probability of Kirk-festivities...

jasminaGo
April 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Sheppard and Beckett are with them... There's a high probability of Kirk-festivities...

:sam34:

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
There's a high probability of Kirk-festivities...

Actually, THAT part I'm not that worried about.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Why is James T Kirk appearing in 'Whispers'? :P

I don't think Sheppard will be 'kirking' anyone in this ep and he hasn't flirted with one of his own yet, plus it would be inappropriate for someone of his rank/status to do that with a member of his team or the experdition :)

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Actually, THAT part I'm not that worried about.

What worries you more than Kirk?

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Why is James T Kirk appearing in 'Whispers'? :P

I don't think Sheppard will be 'kirking' anyone in this ep and he hasn't flirted with one of his own yet, plus it would be inappropriate for someone of his rank/status to do that with a member of his team or the experdition :)

OMG this Kirk obsession is driving me crazy. :p Sheppard is not Kirk.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
OMG this Kirk obsession is driving me crazy. :p Sheppard is not Kirk.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
What worries you more than Kirk?

Really I'm not that worried about this episode at all - I guess my emphasis did make it seem like I was. Disappointed at the casting? Yes. But not worried. Tracker, on the other hand.....

I'm not one that has Kirk issues though - sorry.:S Only once have I had a problem with Shep and a woman and that was in The Tower.

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Really I'm not that worried about this episode at all. Disappointed at the casting? Yes. But not worried. Tracker, on the other hand.....

I'm not one that has Kirk issues though - sorry. Only once have I had a problem with Shep and a woman and that was in The Tower.

What's wrong with Tracker? Another Runner? Another story involving the Wraith and whatnot? That to me sounds very interesting.

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
True Sheppard can't be Kirk because, and I mean this with all respect, I think Sheppard strikes out more than Kirk. lets think back Sheppard has only had like what 2-3 flings (that we know of) and Kirk had how many... well lets see howmany eps where there in the original Star Trek?

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Really I'm not that worried about this episode at all. Disappointed at the casting? Yes. But not worried. Tracker, on the other hand.....

I'm not one that has Kirk issues though - sorry. Only once have I had a problem with Shep and a woman and that was in The Tower.

Oh, I see... Personally I have an issue with the way this all female team fits into the grander scheme of things... that is if there was a scheme, which I don't see.

As I mentioned earlier... I don't see these poor ladies go beyond a one-dimentional characterization, and only there cause they appeal to the male demographic and to the frat boys that call themselves TPTB's.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Personally I have an issue with the way this all female team fits into the grander scheme of things... that is if there was a scheme, which I don't see.

As I mentioned earlier... I don't see these poor ladies go beyond a one-dimentional characterization, and only there cause they appeal to the male demographic

Well, yes. I can agree with that. :)

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM
^ Falcon I don't fully agree with you but then again just ignore me. I am the huge Christina fan and she has never really played the one deminsional-look-at-cute-little-me-chick that I just hate. She plays strong doinate women so I am hoping that the others are mopre like her in that respect.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
^ Falcon I don't fully agree with you but then again just ignore me. I am the huge Christina fan and she has never really played the one deminsional-look-at-cute-little-me-chick that I just hate. She plays strong doinate women so I am hoping that the others are mopre like her in that respect.

I like Christina too - I wish she was playing a recurring character, instead of (Whispers spoilers) one that was destined to get killed off.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Hey, I completely agree with you but that's the problem right there... *points* ...When was the last time we saw a strong, dominant woman on Atlantis? One that didn't need her good looks to demand respect from anyone? One that carries a scene all on her own and doesn't need the support of a male character?

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I like Christina too - I wish she was playing a recurring character, instead of (Whispers spoilers) one that was destined to get killed off.

True but I am a fan of Blood Ties so....
with her getting killed off I still have hope that it will come back

Sometimes I think I need help lots and lots of help :)

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
True but I am a fan of Blood Ties so....

Don't know Blood Ties, sorry... OT - What's it about?

Sometimes I think I need help lots and lots of help :)

A happy fangirl is better than an unhappy one... :D

Killdeer
April 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Don't know Blood Ties, sorry... OT - What's it about?

It's a vampire show, right? Kind of like Forever Knight?

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
It's a vampire show, right? Kind of like Forever Knight?

Oh, neat... :)

iolanda
April 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hey, I completely agree with you but that's the problem right there... *points* ...When was the last time we saw a strong, dominant woman on Atlantis? One that didn't need her good looks to demand respect from anyone? One that carries a scene all on her own and doesn't need the support of a male character?

Yeah, and an all male team would be helpful with that.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, and an all male team would be helpful with that.

Not sure what you're getting at... please elaborate?

iolanda
April 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
't was sheer sarcasm about the ever complaining.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
't was sheer sarcasm about the ever complaining.

O-kay... Sorry for playing in your garden then.

Those with complaints have just as much right to be here as those who are jumping with joy.

DigiFluid
April 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
You obviously haven't heard what the ep is about then...

No, you're absolutely right, I haven't.

jenks
April 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
No, you're absolutely right, I haven't.

It's basically the closest SG will come to a 'horror' episode.

Constanza
April 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
At this point I do not like the formula of an all female team… but as I don’t believe the episode is going to be focusing on them, I’ve decided I’ll wait and see… it could turn into a good episode after all :)

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Well, this is...expected.

Lorne has an all-male team, nobody cares.

We now have an all-female team...much angst is had.

Yeah, no double standards here. Nope.

Well, we got a taste of "comedy" in Irresistable. A comedy about rape wasn't all that funny. I think all the writers, except for Brad Wright, need to be replaced. They just can't do females or get Stargate right.

I suggest you check out who came up with Irresistible.

farcue
April 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Just my two cents but an all female team seems pretty lame. I'm all for hot women running around in uniform but iot seems a bit outta place.

Although i do remember reading something about the show being aimed at 18-40something males. This seems a shameless attempt to latch onto that.

EDIT: its hardly double standards, its not representitie having an all female team. It would be like having an all black team or an all asian team.

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I suggest you check out who came up with Irresistible.

Dude, As long as they are not posting misfacts then it really doesn't matter to me. They are entitled to their complaints like we are to our Praising.

Honestly dude, when SGU comes out, people will be complaining about that also. You have to take it like a Grain of Salt. I made a complaint about BSG's episode last night and I got redded. It truly is amazing when you are on the other end.

It's not like this group is going to be stealing the show. It is just a little flair and nothing more. :)

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Dude, As long as they are not posting misfacts then it really doesn't matter to me. They are entitled to their complaints like we are to our Praising.

Honestly dude, when SGU comes out, people will be complaining about that also. You have to take it like a Grain of Salt. I made a complaint about BSG's episode last night and I got redded. It truly is amazing when you are on the other end.

It's not like this group is going to be stealing the show. It is just a little flair and nothing more. :)

Ohh so that was you that recieved the red *should have known :P*

Dude you seem to be having all the luck with getting reds, tis a shame aswell because I see nothing wrong with what you have to say or how you conduct yourself on the forum :)

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ohh so that was you that recieved the red *should have known :P*

Dude you seem to be having all the luck with getting reds, tis a shame aswell because I see nothing wrong with what you have to say or how you conduct yourself on the forum :)

Some people just don't like me because I try and support my favorite shows and give the benefit of the doubt. Even if I hated an episode, I'll still look for the good points to post. I just cannot be that negative.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Some people just don't like me because I try and support my favorite shows and give the benefit of the doubt. Even if I hated an episode, I'll still look for the good points to post. I just cannot be that negative.

yeah I've noticed ;) shame though I was just reading through that thread and I cannot see where you when wrong :confused:

...any green for guessing who it was? :P

jenks
April 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Just my two cents but an all female team seems pretty lame. I'm all for hot women running around in uniform but iot seems a bit outta place.

Although i do remember reading something about the show being aimed at 18-40something males. This seems a shameless attempt to latch onto that.

EDIT: its hardly double standards, its not representitie having an all female team. It would be like having an all black team or an all asian team.

Not representative of what? Real life expeditions to other galaxies?

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Well I can say with total honesty I am very much the same. I can always say something good about a show that I like or even a movie even if it was the worset thing I have seen (like my feelings to the first ep pf the latest season of Dr Who) but there are unfortunatly somepeople who don't like that.

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Well I can say with total honesty I am very much the same. I can always say something good about a show that I like or even a movie even if it was the worset thing I have seen (like my feelings to the first ep pf the latest season of Dr Who) but there are unfortunatly somepeople who don't like that.

We all have our different views, and it's all good. However I feel people judge something way too much before it happens. That is my biggest issue here.

farcue
April 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Not representative of what? Real life expeditions to other galaxies?

Exactly!

...fear me! for i am immune to sarcasam!

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
...but there are unfortunatly somepeople who don't like that.

And the same goes for not tolerating or not accepting the fact that there are those who have complaints.

Personally, I feel like half the time my opinion is not valued as one cause it's too negative or not to the liking of some people. And in this thread I've been getting that horrible vibe... Unfortunately...

Nothing personal to you Dragongirl. Like your username, btw. :) Totall random, I know.

Also, in response to PG15's all male team of Lorne not being a big issue while the all female team is -> the way they will be portrayed and the way the show is aimed at that damn male demographic. :p There's the difference why Lorne and his men can saunter around Atlantis without much issues, and the all female team will be under scrutiny (that the right word here?).

jenks
April 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
You don't know how the female team will be portrayed.

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
And the same goes for not tolerating or not accepting the fact that there are those who have complaints.

Personally, I feel like half the time my opinion is not valued as one cause it's too negative or not to the liking of some people. And in this thread I've been getting that horrible vibe... Unfortunately...

Nothing personal to you Dragongirl. Like your username, btw. :) Totall random, I know.

Also, in response to PG15's all male team of Lorne not being a big issue while the all female team is -> the way they will be portrayed and the way the show is aimed at that damn male demographic. :p There's the difference why Lorne and his men can saunter around Atlantis without much issues, and the all female team will be under scrutiny (that the right word here?).

I totally value your opinion, but sometimes people are just too damn negative. I mean if someone said "Well this sounds a little weird, I have my doubts, but maybe it could work, I might fall off my chair and have a heart attack.

Instead people say.. "AN ALL FEMALE TEAM!! WTF?? WHAT IS THIS A FRAT HOUSE?"

So it is going to make people like myself question those comments.

iolanda
April 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Nooo waaayyyy.

(reminds me of the last exams where I was the one to write the protocol and a colleague asked me "why did you as a woman study maths and physics". Hooraaay for the 21st century)

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
the way they will be portrayed and the way the show is aimed at that damn male demographic. :p

Well, we don't know how they'll be portrayed so that point is moot.

Is it made to aim at the male demographic? Really? I honestly didn't know that. All I've seen are bitter fans complaining about it because that's apparently what it is. I for one don't pay attention to it.

Though, I am male.

And of course, there seems to be A LOT of female fans, so...yeah. Don't know about appealing to males only and all that.

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I totally value your opinion, but sometimes people are just too damn negative. I mean if someone said "Well this sounds a little weird, I have my doubts, but maybe it could work, I might fall off my chair and have a heart attack.

*Is scared of saying anything incase it causes the white dog to keel over* :S

Instead people say.. "AN ALL FEMALE TEAM!! WTF?? WHAT IS THIS A FRAT HOUSE?"

So it is going to make people like myself question those comments.

Indeed and I have yet to see anything in the spoilers that spells out anything close to 'Frat house' etc in 'Whispers' :)

marty2006
April 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Admittedly I do know a few strippers, maybe that's why :o

lol visit that often?

jenks
April 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM
lol visit that often?

Never been in my life to be honest, I don't see the point, it's like going to a restaurant and being given a nice warm meal you can't eat!

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Well, we don't know how they'll be portrayed so that point is moot.

Is it? Over the seasons... The ladies have always been a point of discussion, always there was something about them that the lads didn't need to worry about.

Is it made to aim at the male demographic? Really? I honestly didn't know that.

And here I thought you knew every word TPTB said by heart... Mmm, might have been someone at SciFi who mentioned it. Who's the representative of SciFi again?

All I've seen are bitter fans complaining about it because that's apparently what it is. I for one don't pay attention to it.

Mmm yeah right... even I pay attention to it, subconsciously anyway, and I'm not male.

And of course, there seems to be A LOT of female fans, so...yeah. Don't know about appealing to males only and all that.

See above, male demographic... sounds like females can tag along for the ride.

Trek_Girl42
April 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I think it's more about the ages for me than the looks. Because I don't have a problem with Christina or Nicole, but they're both actresses in their 30s. Beautiful women yes, but definitely women, not girls. This thing with bringing in the cute young chicks started with Jewel, and it's continued to irritate me since then. I didn't like the casting of Leela, and Janina is just another one along those lines, although granted her character's not likely to live past this episode.

And as far as the guys go, when they start bringing in the cute 20-something boys, we'll talk. Right now all of their guys are close to 40 if not over (JF is 41) except for Jason, and no one is going to mistake him for a boy.
I have a couple problems with this whole thing.

1) as you mention, there are no 40+(or even close) women on Atlantis. Wier died, Carter is leaving. So apparently all women have to be under 35 (well, DeBoer is 38 I saw mentioned- her being on the show is the silver lining to this - she better not get killed off!) to be on Atlantis. If you're a woman you have to be young and hot to be on Atlantis! Wow.....that sends a great message! And yes, I think there should be some less conventionally attractive men on the show as well. But at least (like Joe (41) and David (40 in a few days)) the male characters aren't all twenty-somethings, and many are indeed in the 40ish range. But also why not have characters, men and women, in the 50ish range? (Picardo is the only one I can think of)

2) I wouldn't have a problem with the all-female team if we had already seen more women in the military side of things. We had Cadman and Carter. There are no women on Lorne's team- in fact there are rarely any women on any team we've seen go through the gate. Because these numbers are so small, putting together an all-female team is completely unbelievable (thus far). When we see more women in the military side of the show, I'll buy it. But until then.....Well, why not start with some women on Lorne's team? But nooooo. This is something of deluded male fantasy. And yes, when an all hot young twenty-somethings male recon team is created, I'll complain just as equally.

3) I accepted Keller. I think it's reasonable to assume that there are going to be some very brilliant young men and women on Atlantis. So I will buy it once, maybe twice. But they used up their second chance (and then some) with Larrin. It comes to the fact that since then all of the women on this show are getting younger and younger.....

4) These women are going to be killed off (what are the chances at least three die this episode/season? It wouldn't surprise.....). Because sadly that's what happens, and then we're back to square one on there being very few female military characters on Atlantis! What does it say when you create very few female characters and then kill most of them/write them off the show? At the rate things are going, Atlantis will truly be a boys club.....Why not put a woman on Lorne's team to combat this image!

I've said it a thousand times.....this is why there needs to be a female writer on the Atlantis staff. Martin Gero does a great job with the female characters, but frankly some of the others could use a lesson or two in writing for women and having a woman in the room would definitely be a step.....but has any Atlantis ep been written by a woman?

But really.....why not put a woman (or two) on Lorne's team!

metabog
April 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
With the exception of Vega and possibly Dusty, I don't think they look like super models.
Porter is very pretty, but I don't think she's exactly supermodel.

Teldy looks like Audrey Raines a bit.

I found some of the Wraith females to be kind of hot too though :D

Jackie
April 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind a female team...if they looked like real women and not super models.

It defeats the purpose of having equality when the "women" are all tall, thin and gorgeous. It sends a message to our young girls that only million dollar beauties get to do great things.

If the team was more realistic looking in cast, I would be all for it. If they addressed why we don't place women on the front lines now and explain why these women are doing this...I would support it.

The series would have to emphasize why an all female team is RARE. Why they are doing it now and what they hope to accomplish. :)

As it stands it seems like nothing more than a plot device to put more beauty queens on the show.

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't mind a female team...if they looked like real women and not super models.

It defeats the purpose of having equality when the "women" are all tall, thin and gorgeous. It sends a message to our young girls that only million dollar beauties get to do great things.

If the team was more realistic looking in cast, I would be all for it. If they addressed why we don't place women on the front lines now and explain why these women are doing this...I would support it.

The series would have to emphasize why an all female team is RARE. Why they are doing it now and what they hope to accomplish. :)

As it stands it seems like nothing more than a plot device to put more beauty queens on the show.

See I am not like Crazy about the All-female team. Yes they might be good to look at. :p But after reading some of the slight spoilers, the episode is really about Carson and his return to duty.

Hey Jackie, anything has to be better than Ghost Plumbers! :p

KindlyKeller
April 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I really dislike this idea... a lot. A whole, whole lot. I think it's going to be cringe-inducing and annoying.

But like by dad always said about basketball games, "doesn't matter what it looks like on paper. There's a reason the teams actually PLAY."

I hope that bit of everyman wisdom turns true in this case, but...

Detox
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Lorne has a dead guy on his team. :S

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Lorne has a dead guy on his team. :S

Which red shirt snuck back in? :p

Detox
April 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Which red shirt snuck back in? :p

Remember those two guards that were killed by the Genii early on back in season 1? That guy later came back in Midway, was one of the only 2 marines who made it off the station, and now he's on Lorne's team.

Kinda creepy to be honest.

Promethius30
April 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Allow me to introduce...

I think this is going to be a good season

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Remember those two guards that were killed by the Genii early on back in season 1? That guy later came back in Midway, was one of the only 2 marines who made it off the station, and now he's on Lorne's team.

Kinda creepy to be honest.

Will have to pay attention to it... :p

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Is it? Over the seasons... The ladies have always been a point of discussion, always there was something about them that the lads didn't need to worry about.

I have no idea what you're getting at.

And here I thought you knew every word TPTB said by heart... Mmm, might have been someone at SciFi who mentioned it. Who's the representative of SciFi again?

Mark Stern or David Howe, I think.

Mmm yeah right... even I pay attention to it, subconsciously anyway, and I'm not male.

Allow me to be precise: I don't pay attention to who the show is supposed to appeal to, since all I know for sure is that it appeals to me.

See above, male demographic... sounds like females can tag along for the ride.

They don't have to, and yet they do. Something must be keeping them watching, and in droves.

In Hollywood? Then, yeah, unfortunately that's true. Hopefully the girls in the audience can tell the difference between who's really serving in the military, and who are portraying them on a TV show.

KindlyKeller
April 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The one that really gets me is "Dusty." The leader and Nicole DeBoer -- they look the part enough. Vega is... questionable. But Dusty? She looks like she just leapt out of a Limited Too window.

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM
.: On Casting:I'm actually okay with the casting of Porter and Teldy, given their age and what some of my friends had said about their acting. So ITA with Falcon - Vega and Dusty really look like models while Porter and Teldy look more matured and fitting to their role.

.: On All-female Team:Still, this 'all-female team' concept continues to bug me. Why not, like others have said, put two women of Lorne's team? I think it was Pitry who said in another thread that the key to ending sexism is integration, not segregation.

.: And for the record - I too would be complaining just as much if we got an all-male team of hot young bucks under 30.

.: Kirk Alert: I didn't mind Chaya and Teer and minor flirtations, but I did have issues with that Tower Girl Mara and with Larrin. I think minor flirtation is inevitable here, so that I'll let slide. But I'm concerned they'll write Carson's character the wrong way around these women. He's not the type that, um, takes advantage of them. Or that they'll make Shep far too much like a pubescent teenage boy. :mckay:

I believe it is just for this one episode, 'Whispers'... :)

.: Good. Wear out all your testosterone in one sitting.

What's wrong with Tracker? Another Runner? Another story involving the Wraith and whatnot? That to me sounds very interesting.

.: Answer: Keller.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I have no idea what you're getting at.

* clothes
* boobs falling out at some point or another
* the way they look

Take your pick... I'm sure there's more that has spawned off entire discussions in the good, the bad and the ugly ways. Rarely see the bad and the ugly on any of the lads ... unless I'm not looking hard enough.

Mark Stern or David Howe, I think.

I think Stern said it... not sure though....

Something must be keeping them watching, and in droves.

Don't ask me... I may be one, but women are a mystery to me... I think I'm watching for the great characters, and the stories...but since that's been lacking lately... I haven't a clue why I'm still watching... oh yes, cause I'm hoping to see Teyla do something of use... maybe I should turn to fanfic cause I'm not sure which Teyla I like better.

Jumper_One
April 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
.: Kirk Alert: I didn't mind Chaya and Teer and minor flirtations, but I did have issues with that Tower Girl Mara and with Larrin. I think minor flirtation is inevitable here, so that I'll let slide. But I'm concerned they'll write Carson's character the wrong way around these women. He's not the type that, um, takes advantage of them. Or that they'll make Shep far too much like a pubescent teenage boy. :mckay:

I don't share your concern. Carson's been on the show for more than three years, in all this time he's never acted wrong around women and I'm sure TBTB won't suddenly change the character

* clothes
* the way they look

when did that happen?

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 01:47 PM
* clothes
* the way they look

Take your pick... I'm sure there's more that has spawned off entire discussions in the good, the bad and the ugly ways. Rarely see the bad and the ugly on any of the lads ... unless I'm not looking hard enough.

We ain't got no boobs, that's why (well, most of us). ;)

These ladies will be in military attire, that we're pretty sure of.

I think Stern said it... not sure though....

Well, you know what I always say...source?

This is one of those "facts" that has been mentioned for a very long time with no actual backing any time its mentioned (i.e. Carson won't be a clone), even if said backing existed.

Oh, there's something else that's entered my brain: these women are portraying Captains and Majors; how old do you think real Captains and Majors are?

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't share your concern. Carson's been on the show for more than three years, in all this time he's never acted wrong around women and I'm sure TBTB won't suddenly change the character

.: The bolded part's what I'm concerned about :S

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
.: Good. Wear out all your testosterone in one sitting.

LoL, All my testosterone? :rolleyes: you're giving TPTB alot of credit for their work there :P
...this all woman team is not nearly enough to get me that excited ;)

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
when did that happen?

Well, they didn't really fall out... I imagine, it would have gotten noticed.
I'm thinking Zelenka's run in with Carter's assets in Quarantine, and personally I was having issues with Carter's attire in Tabula Rasa... so I know there was talk.

We ain't got no boobs, that's why (well, most of us). ;)

Right... :p

These ladies will be in military attire, that we're pretty sure of.

I was thinking of Lara Croft earlier... So, let's hope so.

Well, you know what I always say...source?

Already searching... Let me get back to you... For starters I have found this little thing on SciFi and Women (http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/02/08/the-sci-fi-channel-needs-women/). Pretty interesting read.

Jumper_One
April 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
.: The bolded part's what I'm concerned about :S

but why? did he seem different in The Kindred?

:lol: All my testosterone? :rolleyes: you're giving TPTB alot of credit for their work there :P
...this all woman team is not nearly enough to get me that excited ;)

wait until the ep airs :P

Well, they didn't really fall out... I imagine, it would have gotten noticed.

ok so it never happened

I'm thinking Zelenka's run in with Carter's assets in Quarantine, and personally I was having issues with Carter's attire in Tabula Rasa... so I know there was talk.

what's wrong with this?
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/Sam/SGA406-MGM-0017.jpg

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
but why? did he seem different in The Kindred?

.: No, but I'm still worried and still have reason to be worried given their rise in inconsistant writing as of late.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
what's wrong with this?
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/Sam/SGA406-MGM-0017.jpg

It was earlier in the episode I think... I don't even remember if it was Tabula Rasa though it clearly was cause it was the same sweater...

There's a moment when I had a personal problem, but I seemed to be the only one... I'm sure you can locate it in the TR-thread, I created quite the shouting match.

Found another interesting blog about the topic of female and male -> If male actors had to be as blandly perfect as female ones… (http://thehathorlegacy.info/if-male-actors-had-to-be-as-blandly-perfect-as-female-ones/)

And continuing the search for the bloody demographic source...

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM
wait until the ep airs :P

Dude don't go throwing wood on her fire ;) ...I stand by what I said: That all woman team will not be enough :P that is unless Vega starts stripping and <FoXz Snip> :D but I cannot see anything of the sort happening, so nothing really to get excited about :)

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Found another interesting blog about the topic of female and male -> If male actors had to be as blandly perfect as female ones… (http://thehathorlegacy.info/if-male-actors-had-to-be-as-blandly-perfect-as-female-ones/)

.: Thanks for linking to that article - I really enjoyed it. Make tons of sense to me as well as how even though women have "gained alot" as some say, that men still generally have the upper hand. :mckay:

Jumper_One
April 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
.: No, but I'm still worried and still have reason to be worried given their rise in inconsistant writing as of late.

we'll just have to wait but I for one am not worried

It was earlier in the episode I think... I don't even remember if it was Tabula Rasa though it clearly was cause it was the same sweater...

There's a moment when I had a personal problem, but I seemed to be the only one... I'm sure you can locate it in the TR-thread, I created quite the shouting match.

I'll try ;)

Dude don't go throwing wood on her fire ;) ...I stand by what I said: That all woman team will not be enough :P that is unless Vega starts stripping and <FoXz Snip> :D but I cannot see anything of the sort happening, so nothing really to get excited about :)

:lol:

EDIT: Falcon Horus I found this

So it is more the fact that you find Sam unattractive than the actual revealing of skin.

There you go...

I may have overestimated the cleavage a bit BUT I still find AT very unattractive as a women.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
EDIT: Falcon Horus I found this

Well, there you go... :p

Jumper_One
April 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Well, there you go... :p

yup :) but I still disagree :D

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I was gone for a few hours but I was reading up on what has been said since I left and this is something I wanna say in responce to the 'Why do all the women have to look like supermodels' if nonattractive women in films and tv they would never last long that isn't an oppion that is a fact because unless it is a cheesy crappy gag me movie or tv show everything is made for men more than women which is a sad fact. Another thing is the few women who were (and I repet were) in films and tv that where unattractive they only ever played the baddies. So why complain about something that will probably never change. The world is still a sexist place while men can be slightly unattractive (and even then this is still a person to person opinon) they will never have to worry about getting a job where as women MUST look good.

This is just my opinon based on what I have seen.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
So why complain about something that will probably never change.

Because if nobody speaks up, nothing will ever change.
If the African-Americans hadn't spoken up, they would still be slaves. If the gays hadn't spoken up/don't speak up, they (I) would still have no rights and be considered mentally ill. If women hadn't stood up for their rights, they'd still have none today.

See my point... :)

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Because if nobody speaks up, nothing will ever change.
If the African-Americans hadn't spoken up, they would still be slaves. If the gays hadn't spoken up/don't speak up, they (I) would still have no rights and be considered mentally ill. If women hadn't stood up for their rights, they'd still have none today.

See my point... :)

FH, how can you compare blacks and gays to a TV show? :S First off, and I know you don't want to hear this. But after the Ratings and numbers for Season 4 going up, SCI FI and the producers are happy with the direction. I answered your question in your comment section, fyi. Which is the reason for all this. They want the younger audience. Ask MediaSavant, she'll tell you how it is in the industry.

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
If you really do want to make a difference, then a fansite is the last place in which to do it.

You want Hollywood to consider older, less "perfect" women? Then by all means march on their gates.

Trek_Girl42
April 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I was gone for a few hours but I was reading up on what has been said since I left and this is something I wanna say in responce to the 'Why do all the women have to look like supermodels' if nonattractive women in films and tv they would never last long that isn't an oppion that is a fact because unless it is a cheesy crappy gag me movie or tv show everything is made for men more than women which is a sad fact. Another thing is the few women who were (and I repet were) in films and tv that where unattractive they only ever played the baddies. So why complain about something that will probably never change. The world is still a sexist place while men can be slightly unattractive (and even then this is still a person to person opinon) they will never have to worry about getting a job where as women MUST look good.

This is just my opinon based on what I have seen.
I feel saddened to read that you feel that way. Nothing will ever change unless we speak out about it. I, for one, want to see real women on television. This obsession with physical perfection and fear of age is damaging to the young girls who watch and think that they are supposed to grow up to look like that in order to get anywhere in life. It's sickening, and it'll never change if we don't complain. There's nothing wrong with attractive people on television, but it would be nice to see a dose of reality in there as well, women who are not tall skinny under 35s are beautiful too, but apparently the folks in tvland are oblivious to that. :rolleyes:

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
If you really do want to make a difference, then a fansite is the last place in which to do it.

Everything has to start somewhere....

You want Hollywood to consider older, less "perfect" women? Then by all means march on their gates.

Wow, the way you phrase it... I'd have to run around the world and make the news every day... Oh wait, there's an idea. :mckay:

Briangate78
April 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
The fans wanted Carson back, and he is back next season. So sometimes it works.

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Everything has to start somewhere....

True, but this isn't even a start. Complaining like this in order to influence Hollywood in anyway is about as effective as me talking to myself in my room of the same subject. Nobody important is watching, or caring.

Ok, maybe you don't have to march on any gates; but there is a way. Just thinking out loud here, but you can always start a website or blog dedicated to this cause; recruit more people to it that way. If this is indeed something irking many people, then you shouldn't have problems attracting them on the Internet. Maybe even make some short films of your own featuring "less than perfect-looking" women who can act, I don't know.

If you want to complain here, fine, but don't pretend it's for any real purpose because it serves none, other than venting, which is fine.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Good point! :D

Also... totally random and slightly related...

Complaining... Sometimes, that word is just overused...

Always, if it's not positive it ends up filed under "complaining"...

Jackie
April 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
See I am not like Crazy about the All-female team. Yes they might be good to look at. :p But after reading some of the slight spoilers, the episode is really about Carson and his return to duty.

Hey Jackie, anything has to be better than Ghost Plumbers! :p

I just watched Lord of the Rings...note to self...do not watch good, quality entertainment before coming to GW.

Ah, yes...Ghost Plumbers. I see skiffy added a few more paranormal haunting type shows. None seem very interesting to me and I usually love a good ghost story.

Anyways, TPTB could make great use of their all female team and make an actual sub plot addressing the issues with it.

I could see a successful team in place providing a legitimate reason the government would send in women on the front lines...and still acknowledge that equality in the military still has light years to go.

Scenario 1: The all female team is set up to fail. The military balks at the IOA's insistence that there be an all female team to prove equality. The military chooses 4 women who were never suppose to actually succeed. Shocked by the girls accomplishments the team is the first all female team commission to go into battle and all political eyes are on this team. The USA and other nation's future on the position of the draft could actually ride on how well these girls do.

Scenario 2: (TPTB likely scenario) There team is a mismatch team put together by Sheppard, who just can't say no and the girls, who all requested to work together. He doesn't think anything off it till betting pools start and the next thing he knows his all girl squad is causing lots of second looks at his command and reasoning as to why he set the team up all female. It turns into a race between Lorrin's Team and the women and Sheppard still is fit to be tied and tries to break them up by splitting Lorrin's team up and mixing the two.

Shep then has Lorrin and the leader of the girls each bugging him cause they like the separated teams. Hence, shep switches them back and finds himself juggling musical chairs solely due to human reaction to a female team.

Scenario 3: (I prefer) The team is thrown together after losing men and women on other teams, they are the 4 left overs that suddenly find themselves forced to work together due to lack of replacement soldiers. They are balked at being all women. Nicknamed...the Powderpuff Team...(after the Powderpuff Derby, an all female air race). Anyways, it was done under the impression they would all be reassigned but turners out their team is the most efficient team next to Stargate McKay.

the senior officers balk at the idea but can't rebut the numbers and team powderpuff stays.

Trek_Girl42
April 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
True, but this isn't even a start. Complaining like this in order to influence Hollywood in anyway is about as effective as me talking to myself in my room of the same subject. Nobody important is watching, or caring.

Ok, maybe you don't have to march on any gates; but there is a way. Just thinking out loud here, but you can always start a website or blog dedicated to this cause; recruit more people to it that way. If this is indeed something irking many people, then you shouldn't have problems attracting them on the Internet. Maybe even make some short films of your own featuring "less than perfect-looking" women who can act, I don't know.

If you want to complain here, fine, but don't pretend it's for any real purpose because it serves none, other than venting, which is fine.
Because if you talk about it with others they just might start to talk as well.....it's a cumulative thing. I'm not saying it accomplishes anything drastic, but talking about something, whether with one person or a hundred, gets others thinking about it too, and that's how every change starts.

marielabbott
April 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Maybe the next all female team could consist of women inflicted with elephantitis. Wouldn't that just be so much better? And don't forget, we have to replace Shep, Ronon and Lorne with rabid, deformed hobos too! It's gotta be a fair deal now!

Do it. Get the most unattractive actors imaginable--of both genders--write them well, have interesting stories, and I'd be perfectly happy. I've always admired Joseph Merrick myself.

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
JM's new blog post has a detailed account of what he wanted out of these characters. I'll just link to my post in the thread for Whispers, where I copy and pasted the whole thing:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8055608&postcount=207

Detox
April 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Do it. Get the most unattractive actors imaginable--of both genders--write them well, have interesting stories, and I'd be perfectly happy. I've always admired Joseph Merrick myself.

Only if it was a radio show.

jenks
April 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM

That's fair enough, but does having women who aren't unattractive actually take anything away from the show?

dragongirl
April 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Haveing unattractive women on a show woulod do nothing diffrent other than make the key demographic for this show (male 18-40) turn off the tv. That is one of the many diffrences between men and women men are a visual ppl and women are more auditory(sp) so men want to see something visually pleasing while with women it isn't important. which is why I said that complaiing wont change anything. You can't just complain till mens whole genetic makeup changes sorry in the list of never going to happen things that is like #1.

If the world where a perfect place apperence wouldn't be so important to most (notice I saud most) ppl then again I don't watch this show because of hot guys there are only 3 attractive guys on the show IMO and one of them I didn't think was that attractive at first it was more the character that I liked and he eventually became attractive to me.

I stand by my original feeling on the all-female team 1) how cool is that we have one mixed team (sheppard's) one male (lorne) and one female (tedly) and I am saying one because lets face it we like never see any team other than Sheppard and every now and then Lorne's. 2) I will hold judgement on whether it was a good idea or not based on the dynamic of the ep and what happens and 3) one of if not my FAV actress is going to be in this team and that makes me happy beyeond reason.

Jackie
April 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
so tptb only decided to have a female team due to the gender imbalance issue of the show...hmm, sounds like a plot device to me. Probably could have avoided the issue if tptb placed some forethought in their writing and casting BEFORE coming this far along in the series.

sounds like it's too little, too late to actually address their gender issues.:rolleyes:

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
So...now that they're trying to correct their mistakes, you still rag on them?

Kobayashi Maru man, Kobayashi Maru.

raiyen
April 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
so tptb only decided to have a female team due to the gender imbalance issue of the show...hmm, sounds like a plot device to me. Probably could have avoided the issue if tptb placed some forethought in their writing and casting BEFORE coming this far along in the series.

sounds like it's too little, too late to actually address their gender issues.:rolleyes:

Gender imbalance? Why is that a problem now. They had they problem on SG1 from the beginning of the series and still have that problem with the Ark of Truth and Continuim movies. Oh right. They mean the writers on staff.

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
.: If they want a 'younger audience' they should have kept the cast the same. Younger cast does not necessarily mean you'll get a younger audience. I don't get Skiffy/TPTB's mentality.

.: I'm in highschool, I was happy with the cast in the first three seasons, as did several of my friends. They should consider that by trying to get a younger audience, the result was disgusting the younger audience they already had. :mckay:

DetriusXii
April 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Gender imbalance? Why is that a problem now. They had they problem on SG1 from the beginning of the series and still have that problem with the Ark of Truth and Continuim movies. Oh right. They mean the writers on staff.

Well, SG-1 had Janet and Carter, which were believable females in their late 30s and early 40s. Even if these new females are all exceptionally talented, there still should be exceptionally talented female officers in their 40s and 50s.

Hiring policies in SGA comes down to having a) the best experienced person for the job or b) talented young adult who can afford to move because they don't have ties to earth. However, what seems to be happening is that the males fall under a) while the females are falling under b). The writing isn't consistent and I feel that TPTB are pushing a male oriented fantasy that females in their 40s aren't worth much and don't need to be mentioned.

I'm a male but I'm more concerned about the setting rather than the chick factor. The thunk factor is an equally annoying concept among the female fans (and I know a female fan in real life). But these two sexual concepts are producing a show inferior to SG-1 that can never hope to be better than SG-1. S1-S5 SG-1 were solid seasons. The same cannot be said for SGA except for S1, and I think it's the sex factor that's hurting the show.

KindlyKeller
April 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
.: If they want a 'younger audience' they should have kept the cast the same. Younger cast does not necessarily mean you'll get a younger audience. I don't get Skiffy/TPTB's mentality.

.: I'm in highschool, I was happy with the cast in the first three seasons, as did several of my friends. They should consider that by trying to get a younger audience, the result was disgusting the younger audience they already had. :mckay:

To be fair, that's a pretty small focus group.

I'm not sure I buy Sci-Fi's "demographics reports" either, of course.

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM

They want a younger audience? Who said that?

I think they just want all types of audience. ;)

Reiko
April 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
To be fair, that's a pretty small focus group.

I'm not sure I buy Sci-Fi's "demographics reports" either, of course.

.: Yeah, I know. :o

.: In regards to demographic reports, they usually aren't that accurate. They only record rating in the US as far as I know and also only if you have that pesky box plugged in. So, yup.

KindlyKeller
April 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
.: Yeah, I know. :o

.: In regards to demographic reports, they usually aren't that accurate. They only record rating in the US as far as I know and also only if you have that pesky box plugged in. So, yup.

Yeah, I'm not up on the whole statistical/mathematical component of ratings, but it just seems anything but foolproof to me.

farcue
April 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM
haha, oh man. Having read a lot of the concerns about carson and the way he'll be portrayed around the women i cant wait.

The idea of him comin out the status chamber seeing the all female team and being like "Oi oi! what have we here?" *slaps one of them on the ass* "I didnt realise we were going striaght on a mission, looks like we've each got a stunner though! Know what i'm sayin guys!"

JaninaZ
April 13th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Janina here...

b/c of the narcissistic google alert I have on my name, I've clicked this link and learned through the Stargate community that my character's last name has been changed from "Wells" to "Mehra"... It's a pretty great way to hear about it, through the people who support the show the most, and if all goes well, in 2 weeks, i'll be in camos doin' you proud!

~j

iolanda
April 13th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Janina here...

b/c of the narcissistic google alert I have on my name, I've clicked this link and learned through the Stargate community that my character's last name has been changed from "Wells" to "Mehra"... It's a pretty great way to hear about it, through the people who support the show the most, and if all goes well, in 2 weeks, i'll be in camos doin' you proud!

~j

How cool is that?
Hope you have a great time at the set!

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
On Casting:I'm actually okay with the casting of Porter and Teldy, given their age and what some of my friends had said about their acting. So ITA with Falcon - Vega and Dusty really look like models while Porter and Teldy look more matured and fitting to their role.

Eh? Vega is only a captain though. It is very reasonable that someone who is a captain would be that age. Just because she looks pretty doesn't mean she can't be in the military. And like I have mentioned before, they are putting them in military attire, hardly making them up to look like whores like some people here seem to be 'afraid' of.

And something tells me Dusty isn't going to survive the episode. Both Porter and Vega seem to be quite important with the amount they have been mentioned, but with Joe's recent comments I feel either Dusty or Teldy or both will be killed in 'Whispers'.

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Well, SG-1 had Janet and Carter, which were believable females in their late 30s and early 40s. Even if these new females are all exceptionally talented, there still should be exceptionally talented female officers in their 40s and 50s.

Actually, know. Both were in there early 30's when first hired in 1997.

Nicole, playing Dr. Porter, is 38 this year.

Christina, playing Major Teldy, is 37 this year.

Janina, playing Sergeant Wells, is 28 this year, not much younger than either Amanda or Teryl were when they were cast, and a rank below Samantha Carter when she was first introduced.

Age isn't an issue here. You can't start with the Jewel Staite argument. These ages aren't unrealistic, and you haven't seen them in action as their characters yet, so that can't be used against them either.

People are claiming TPTB want young, good looking actresses who are unrealistic. Quite frankly, I think the only people who are actually hung up on age and looks of these women are the moaners.

P.S- I couldn't find Leela's age.

TDgamer
April 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Dang, I had a long post, but my internet reset and will not let me recover it. Here is the short version:

In my experience, serving in the military, this is the standard career progression of an Officer:

2nd Lieutenant - 22-24 years old. Only needs a Bachelor's Degree. Usually gets promoted 18-24 months later.

1st Lieutenant - 24-26. Usually promoted 24-30 months later.

Captain - 26 - 29. Current rank of Leela's character (Capt. Vega?). Usually promoted with 4-6 years.

Major - 30 - 35 (maybe). Current rank of Teldy.

See, with this, the only character that maybe should be over 40 is the Doctor. With the Sergeant, it depends on what rank of Sergeant she is. If she is an E-5, perhaps 22, 23 years old. Quite possible. I can make E-5 by December and I will only be 21. An E-6 would only be like 25-30. Keep in mind, Walter was an E-8. I have an E-9 that I work with who is only 39.

Also, it has been my observation that the Air Force has the greater percentage of attractive females. This is probably because the basic training is much easier and less taxing on the body. This is not to say that there are no attractive females in other branches, but the Air Force and Navy have a considerably higher percentage.

My main issue is that the all-woman team would most likely be on the front lines. Unless they are scientifically extra qualified, this is unlikely and most likely only one or two would. This is the only reason that I overlooked Sam being on SG-1. Normally, she would not have been, but she had a unique expertise. A team of four women is unlikely.

I will still enjoy it, I mean, I AM a 20 year old guy stuck in Iraq :P

Jackie
April 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Dang, I had a long post, but my internet reset and will not let me recover it. Here is the short version:

In my experience, serving in the military, this is the standard career progression of an Officer:

2nd Lieutenant - 22-24 years old. Only needs a Bachelor's Degree. Usually gets promoted 18-24 months later.

1st Lieutenant - 24-26. Usually promoted 24-30 months later.

Captain - 26 - 29. Current rank of Leela's character (Capt. Vega?). Usually promoted with 4-6 years.

Major - 30 - 35 (maybe). Current rank of Teldy.

See, with this, the only character that maybe should be over 40 is the Doctor. With the Sergeant, it depends on what rank of Sergeant she is. If she is an E-5, perhaps 22, 23 years old. Quite possible. I can make E-5 by December and I will only be 21. An E-6 would only be like 25-30. Keep in mind, Walter was an E-8. I have an E-9 that I work with who is only 39.

Also, it has been my observation that the Air Force has the greater percentage of attractive females. This is probably because the basic training is much easier and less taxing on the body. This is not to say that there are no attractive females in other branches, but the Air Force and Navy have a considerably higher percentage.

My main issue is that the all-woman team would most likely be on the front lines. Unless they are scientifically extra qualified, this is unlikely and most likely only one or two would. This is the only reason that I overlooked Sam being on SG-1. Normally, she would not have been, but she had a unique expertise. A team of four women is unlikely.

I will still enjoy it, I mean, I AM a 20 year old guy stuck in Iraq :P

thanks for the info...Godspeed and come home soon. :sam59::hammond15:

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Here's something interesting I came across on my surfing the web in search of some info on the key demographics of SGA...

It's a blog entry from the time that season 5 of SG1 ended and MS had left the show to explore other horizons. And the whole of Daniel-fans going bonzo over it. Blog entry this way - Three chapters (http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/2002/02/13/stargate_rebellion/index.html)

In the third chapter there's an interesting comment by Peter Deluise which I thought kinda relates to this discussion about the concerns some of us have on this all female team.

To many fans, the creative changes that drove both Shanks and the core viewership away from "Stargate SG-1" seemed to stem from TV programmers' undying obsession with the young male demographic. On the DVD version of the fourth-season episode "Crossroads," director Peter DeLuise (a fan favorite) remarks, "This was a time during the show when we were trying to bump up the ratings. We took our cue from [the "Star Trek" character] Seven of Nine, thinking that might help the show and in fact the show didn't need help. It was perfectly fine the way it was and we didn't need half-naked, really hot, skilled actresses walking around."

Also...

By mid-August of 2000, a third of the way through the fourth season, Showtime reported that "Stargate SG-1" had lost 26 percent of its adult audience from the year before. The young male demo, however, was up.

And that was during SG1's run ... timeframe - season 5 on Showtime/season 6 on SciFi.

And on goes the search... call me crazy but I'm not blind... I saw it.

jenks
April 13th, 2008, 09:15 AM

How? JM and PM haven't been TPTB for that long.

marielabbott
April 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's fair enough, but does having women who aren't unattractive actually take anything away from the show?

It takes away a sense of realism. I appreciate that TPTB are attempting to address a gender imbalance, but I think they are going about it in an unbelievable way. As others have mentioned, I find the all-female recon team unlikely. I would not be objecting much if it was a mixed team led by a female, and the woman happened to be attractive. But the fact that the team is all female, and all beautiful, smacks of fantasy. I just think TPTB could have addressed the issue in a better way than this.

PG15
April 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Janina here...

~j

Hooray for Google alert then! Welcome to Gateworld!

Hope we don't scare ya, too much.

Reiko
April 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
They want a younger audience? Who said that?

.: Brian did a page or two back.

In the third chapter there's an interesting comment by Peter Deluise which I thought kinda relates to this discussion about the concerns some of us have on this all female team.

.: Another free service from Falcon Horus charities. Thanks for the article - it absolutely relates, and I agree that we don't need hot actresses to bump things up. Besides, you already had hot actresses in Teyla, Elizabeth, Kate, Laura, etc. that appealed to both genders. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/Reiko_Afterglow/smilies/SGAgirls-rock.gif

How? JM and PM haven't been TPTB for that long.

.: They've been TPTB since the show went downhill.

I would not be objecting much if it was a mixed team led by a female, and the woman happened to be attractive. But the fact that the team is all female, and all beautiful, smacks of fantasy. I just think TPTB could have addressed the issue in a better way than this.

.: Exactly. I feel like screaming Teyla to TPTB, but, you know, she already has that "story arc" to use her in :rolleyes:

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Besides, you already had hot actresses in Teyla, Elizabeth, Kate, Laura, etc. that appealed to both genders.

And Sam.

They've been TPTB since the show went downhill.

That is your opinion, not a fact.

Exactly. I feel like screaming Teyla to TPTB, but, you know, she already has that "story arc" to use her in :rolleyes:

TPTB this year gave her the biggest story arc she has had since the show started, so if you are going to b**** about M&M I suggest you do an equal or greater amount of b****ing about Cooper and Wright, just to make it fair.

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Janina here...

~j

Cool!:cool: It's great when actors from the show actually come and post. Sorry for all the arguing that goes on.

Enjoy your time on Atlantis! Joe Mallozzi said you got the part because of "the strength of her ballsy read and wonderful comic timing." So it should certainly be interesting to see you in action when the episode airs.

iolanda
April 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
So you people already have seen them in uniform and first promoshots as well as scenes so that you can decide whether the female team is "too" hot or not?

You know how they behave and how the chemistry in the team is portrait and how that will fit into an episode, where we roughly know an outline about what happens?

If someone wants this episode so hard to be bad, than it will be bad. Why don't you wait until you saw it to finally decide its quality?

Personally, I am not a fan of a all-female team, but I don't know how it will work out and I have seen a couple of things I didn't like when I first heard about them and in the end they were great and totally different of what I expected.

Keep an open mind or you'll ruin it for yourself before it even started.

Reiko
April 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
TPTB this year gave her the biggest story arc she has had since the show started, so if you are going to b**** about M&M I suggest you do an equal or greater amount of b****ing about Cooper and Wright, just to make it fair.

.: It's an awfully pathetic excuse for a "story arc". When did fairness come into this? Yes, Brad and Rob have done some questionable things but I still prefer them to M&M.

.: But b*tching? Heck, that's what I do.

.: I do have an open mind. This is my opinion right now, but maybe it will change. It's all in their hands ;)

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
It's an awfully pathetic excuse for a "story arc". When did fairness come into this? Yes, Brad and Rob have done some questionable things but I still prefer them to M&M.

She had Missing, Spoils of War, and you could even say the Kindred 2 parter was focussed around her, it played a part in The Seer too. Rachel has emoted more in season four than she has in the rest of the shows seasons put together, and I'd say that was down to both her and the material she was given. They had more planned for her, they said they had a big 'dark' arc for Teyla right fron the start, but then they found out Rachel was pregnant and had to tone it down. It's a matter of opinion IMO.

As for the all-female team, yes I do personally think we should wait to see how the writers and actresses pull it off and have an open mind, and our opinions may change. I do currently have faith in how they will all do though. I think it will be fun, and certainly different compared to the man-fest that we are used to.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Janina here...

~j

LOL I didn't know they changed your last name, thanks for the info. and welcome! :)

Here's something interesting I came across on my surfing the web in search of some info on the key demographics of SGA...

It's a blog entry from the time that season 5 of SG1 ended and MS had left the show to explore other horizons. And the whole of Daniel-fans going bonzo over it. Blog entry this way - Three chapters (http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/2002/02/13/stargate_rebellion/index.html)

Also...

And that was during SG1's run ... timeframe - season 5 on Showtime/season 6 on SciFi.

And on goes the search... call me crazy but I'm not blind... I saw it.

so? according to the article they tried it and...

We took our cue from [the "Star Trek" character] Seven of Nine, thinking that might help the show and in fact the show didn't need help. It was perfectly fine the way it was and we didn't need half-naked, really hot, skilled actresses walking around.
what makes you think they're doing it once again? remember the ratings of s4.5 have been better than s3.5 ;)

.: They've been TPTB since the show went downhill.

it did? I must've missed that :D the ratings and and viewer numbers also disagree with that ;)

And Sam.

:indeed: :D

maxbo
April 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I have no problem with the casting for this all female team. The actresses are all age appropriate and based on the work of those that I'm familiar with, I expect them to be capable actresses. What I do have a problem with is the fact that TPTB chose stunt casting as a means of equalizing the gender imbalance when they could have taken a more subtle approach. Such as having a female lead a mixed gender team.

How is a team with 3 military women even possible when I can't remember if I've ever seen 3 military women in Atlantis ever in 4 years? I know there was a woman in the background in one of the Siege episodes and there was Cadman, but not counting the women on the Daedalus, I can't think of any others. Perhaps if I squinted really hard, I would be able to detect some in the background, but I've never seen any on security detail or off world (except for Cadman) so it's distractingly heavy-handed that there will suddenly be a team of nothing but women going off world now.

Unfortunately, that heavy-handed decision doesn't bode well for decent writing for these characters - based on TPTB's past experience in writing attractive female guests/recurring characters. However, now that the deed is done, I hope TPTB use restraint in writing these women and concentrate on writing them as characters and not as females.

I remember reading once that Amanda Tapping said she wanted the writers to write her as they would a male character and leave it up to her to let the audience know that she's female. I hope TPTB follow that advice.

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Teyla has been neglected from the moment we saw her in The Rising. All PTB's are at fault here... M&M just brought it to a height with their so-called arc.

So you people already have seen them in uniform and first promoshots as well as scenes so that you can decide whether the female team is "too" hot or not?

I've seen Cadman. She was female, in uniform, and rather good looking. JRN is cute and beautiful.

But the part about being hot or not is all in the eye of the beholder and from these fine pictures that were posted... Not much of that will suddenly change with them being in military outfit. Their faces will still be the same.

You know how they behave and how the chemistry in the team is portrait and how that will fit into an episode, where we roughly know an outline about what happens?

Yeah, unfortunately... women have always suffered by the hands of TPTB skills of portraying them. They have that against them.

If someone wants this episode so hard to be bad, than it will be bad. Why don't you wait until you saw it to finally decide its quality?

And wanting it to be so super good, you risk being disappointed... Both good and bad hold risks in that regard. Low expectations are my thing... can't be disappointed too bad in that case.

Personally, I am not a fan of a all-female team, but I don't know how it will work out and I have seen a couple of things I didn't like when I first heard about them and in the end they were great and totally different of what I expected.

That's very good for you, other people think differently.

Keep an open mind or you'll ruin it for yourself before it even started.

You mean to say, you'll ruin it for the people who'll think it'll rock. ;)

Personally, my mind is so damn wide open it hurts.

what makes you think they're doing it once again? remember the ratings of s4.5 have been better than s3.5 ;)

Yeah, unfortunately season 4 needs extra days to pawn those ratings. ;)

What I do have a problem with is the fact that TPTB chose stunt casting as a means of equalizing the gender imbalance when they could have taken a more subtle approach. Such as having a female lead a mixed gender team.

Solving the male/female imbalance with an all-female team... Good, but what the writing... On that level the imbalance is even worse.

How is a team with 3 military women even possible when I can't remember if I've ever seen 3 military women in Atlantis ever in 4 years? I know there was a woman in the background in one of the Siege episodes and there was Cadman, but not counting the women on the Daedalus, I can't think of any others. Perhaps if I squinted really hard, I would be able to detect some in the background, but I've never seen any on security detail or off world (except for Cadman) so it's distractingly heavy-handed that there will suddenly be a team of nothing but women going off world now.

You know... That is a good question.... remember the imbalance, it is now restored.

Unfortunately, that heavy-handed decision doesn't bode well for decent writing for these characters - based on TPTB's past experience in writing attractive female guests/recurring characters. However, now that the deed is done, I hope TPTB use restraint in writing these women and concentrate on writing them as characters and not as females.

What Maxbo says...

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Teyla has been neglected from the moment we saw her in The Rising. All PTB's are at fault here... M&M just brought it to a height with their so-called arc.

;)

She had Missing, Spoils of War, and you could even say the Kindred 2 parter was focussed around her, it played a part in The Seer too. Rachel has emoted more in season four than she has in the rest of the shows seasons put together, and I'd say that was down to both her and the material she was given.

I've seen Cadman. She was female, in uniform, and rather good looking. JRN is cute and beautiful.

But the part about being hot or not is all in the eye of the beholder and from these fine pictures that were posted... Not much of that will suddenly change with them being in military outfit. Their faces will still be the same.

some are hot, others aren't but most of all it's a matter of opinion. there are probably people out there that find all four actresses unattractive. so what?

Yeah, unfortunately... women have always suffered by the hands of TPTB skills of portraying them. They have that against them.

and yet a lot of women like SG ie you ;)

Yeah, unfortunately season 4 needs extra days to pawn those ratings. ;)

Peter DeLuise said the show didn't need help. why do you assume Atlantis needs it now? especially considering the numbers of s4.5

Solving the male/female imbalance with an all-female team... Good, but what the writing... On that level the imbalance is even worse.

what about the writing?

iolanda
April 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM

The photos we saw were promo shots. People tend to use their best shots for that. Even most supermodels look very normal when they are without make-up. So they are not defaced. Lucky them.

Now this time its your opinion (but in the case of Teyla I would agree).

And wanting it to be so super good, you risk being disappointed... Both good and bad hold risks in that regard. Low expectations are my thing... can't be disappointed too bad in that case.

Fortunately there is something like neutral. And open minded. Oh, I forgot, you are open minded.

You mean to say, you'll ruin it for the people who'll think it'll rock. ;)

OK, I guess it happens that I am not able to write what I mean. Blame my last English lesson which was 1995, since then I have to rely on what I teach myself concerning your language. But in this case I am very sure that I meant exactly what I wrote.

For me this discussion ruined only the joy I felt yesterday morning after I read that Nicole de Boer will be in Stargate. I don't know the other actors, most of the shows they were in didn't run here or I didn't watch them.

Personally, my mind is so damn wide open it hurts.

Take an aspirin. Good night.

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
and yet a lot of women like SG ie you ;)

Yeah, I do. But I want to see good stories, and characters that have purpose and development. Characters I can, on some level, identify with. Stories that bring something to the overall idea of what Stargate Atlantis is. I'm not watching solely because I think Rachel looks beautiful, or Claire is extremely cute, or that Torri breaths leadership as if she was born to portray Elizabeth. I watch for the stories, the characters and their interactions... Lately I have been feeling disappointed in all those areas.... Can't say SGA is fulfilling my needs like Torchwood, Dr. Who, NCIS, CSI:Miami, Battlestar Galactica are doing.

Peter DeLuise said the show didn't need help. why do you assume Atlantis needs it now? especially considering the numbers of s4.5

I don't assume anything.... I just see a pattern, that's all.

what about the writing?

The writing of good female characters... that writing is beyond measure insufferable. I know fanfic authors who do a better job at Teyla than TPTB. How am I supposed to believe they'll do a good job with all these females? They really have an issue, and as long as they don't acknowledge that... All the females in the world won't be able to restore the imbalance.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I do. But I want to see good stories, and characters that have purpose and development. Characters I can, on some level, identify with. Stories that bring something to the overall idea of what Stargate Atlantis is. I'm not watching solely because I think Rachel looks beautiful, or Claire is extremely cute, or that Torri breaths leadership as if she was born to portray Elizabeth. I watch for the stories, the characters and their interactions... Lately I have been feeling disappointed in all those areas.... Can't say SGA is fulfilling my needs like Torchwood, Dr. Who, NCIS, CSI:Miami, Battlestar Galactica are doing.

ITA with the bolded part. however Atlantis has been great so far, especially s4 imo so I'll have to disagree with the last part

I don't assume anything.... I just see a pattern, that's all.

you mean you're speculating based on promo shots

The writing of good female characters... that writing is beyond measure insufferable. I know fanfic authors who do a better job at Teyla than TPTB. How am I supposed to believe they'll do a good job with all these females?

wait until s5 airs and watch the eps

They really have an issue, and as long as they don't acknowledge that... All the females in the world won't be able to restore the imbalance.

that's assuming they really have an issue and there is an imbalance ;)

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
you mean you're speculating based on promo shots

No, I'm seeing the pattern of sticking young and/or desirable women in an all-female team, hoping there's audience out there, young male geeks whose fanatasy is about to come true, that will watch Atlantis.

We are still talking about the article and Peter Deluise's remark, right? Otherwise you've lost me.

wait until s5 airs and watch the eps

As I said before... they have their writing against them... Besides, I have no choice but to watch season 5... all in the name of that damn research. It's going to cost me my last bit of sanity... (presuming it's still intact after s4)

that's assuming they really have an issue and there is an imbalance ;)

Well, as a matter of fact, JM talked about today on his blog... PG15 even quoted the part in the episode-thread. So, I'd say yeah there is an imbalance, or was in JM's words.

Over the hiatus, I pitched out the idea of introducing an all-female team as a means of addressing the male-female imbalance on the show.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM
No, I'm seeing the pattern of sticking young and/or desirable women in an all-female team, hoping there's audience out there, young male geeks whose fanatasy is about to come true, that will watch Atlantis.

but didn't you say it's in the eye of the beholder? some might not find them attractive. also like I said a lot of women watch SG so it definitely isn't just about hot young women. and what's wrong with attracting a younger audience (assuming that's what TBTB are trying to do)?

We are still talking about the article and Peter Deluise's remark, right? Otherwise you've lost me.

yes we are :)

As I said before... they have their writing against them...

that's your opinion

Besides, I have no choice but to watch season 5... all in the name of that damn research. It's going to cost me my last bit of sanity... (presuming it's still intact after s4)

remember your research can be very helpful ;)

Well, as a matter of fact, JM talked about today on his blog... PG15 even quoted the part in the episode-thread. So, I'd say yeah there is an imbalance, or was in JM's words.

ah crap I should've remembered that :P

jenks
April 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
They've been TPTB since the show went downhill.

The show took a nose dive in season 2, those two are the ones who have brought us the best season yet, the fourth.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The show took a nose dive in season 2, those two are the ones who have brought us the best season yet, the fourth.

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
but didn't you say it's in the eye of the beholder?

That was in relation to iolanda's post.

also like I said a lot of women watch SG so it definitely isn't just about hot young women.

Coincidently it's also a lot of these female viewers who are outing their concerns here.

and what's wrong with attracting a younger audience (assuming that's what TBTB are trying to do)?

It's way they do it... Attracting an audience only plays into the viewing numbers, which mean big bucks for the people in charge (MGM)...

remember your research can be very helpful ;)

Mmm...true... :)

jenks
April 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
It's way they do it... Attracting an audience only plays into the viewing numbers, which mean big bucks for the people in charge (MGM)...

You mean SciFi?

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
That was in relation to iolanda's post.

ok but it's still a valid point. you said

what if someone doesn't find them desirable/attractive?

Coincidently it's also a lot of these female viewers who are outing their concerns here.

a lot? come on you're exaggerating. besides we don't know anything about the team except for the actresses

the eps haven't even aired and you already know how TBTB are trying to attract a younger audience (assuming they are)? I understand your concern since you didn't like how they handled women in the past (or Teyla) but this is just pure speculation

Mmm...true... :)

You mean SciFi?

I think both MGM and SCI FI

EdenSG
April 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I don’t mind the idea of all female team – in fact I am rather intrigued by it.
It is a new idea – not been done before and could create some interesting story potential.
I think Atlantis has been lacking a capable female military character from almost day one. (Sam notwithstanding) I am hoping that some if not all will survive the episode so we can see some as reoccurring characters.

Does it smack of a plot device? Truthfully I think it does a little.
Does that bother me? Not any more than any other show. I think just about every show I have ever watched uses plot devices from time to time. They can be used to promote the episode, thus (hopefully) attract more viewers, which makes advertisers happy which makes the network even happier. Any TV show is first and foremost a business.
Do I worry that the writers will overplay the fact that it is an all female team? Yes I do but on the other hand when it has come to SG’s portrayal of female officers/team members I have not found them to be offensive or in any way degrading to the rank or the integrity of the Airforce. Carter and Cadman come to mind first. I know there have been others, just can’t think of their names right now. In addition I think Heightmeyer, Weir and even Keller were portrayed as professionals in appropriate attire and demeanor. And even Teyla, who has been in a rather tight outfit from time to time, has, I believe, always dressed in uniform and/or appropriate attire for missions.

Besides in a world of male vs. female I firmly believe there is no reason a female team can’t be just as just as effective and kick bu** just as well as any male team. I would never sell a team short just because they are all female. As my youngest daughter says, “Go Girl Power” :)

I think the actresses are appropriate ages for the characters they are portraying. De Boer and Cox in particular seem well suited for the roles of officer and doctor. Both are in their later 30’s and come with solid acting backgrounds of playing characters with some depth. The other actresses I do not know and I will be interested to see how they are portrayed.

Whether they are beautiful, average looking or unattractive, and no matter how “attractive” one thinks they are or aren’t they will have boobs. And while I agree it is degrading to focus on or use their boobs for “fun” I also think it is rather degrading to say if a female is supposed to be smart and tough she can’t be attractive and show off her boobs. By the way, I am a married female with two daughters and while I don’t want them dressing like harlots or using their “looks” to get ahead I also want them to be proud of who and what they are.

Are the actresses too beautiful? The promo shots of the actresses are just that – promo shots. Perfect make-up, perfect lighting – professional photographer, can probably make just about anyone look good. It is how they will be portrayed in the episode that will matter to me – and I have not seen any promo pics of or much solid info about the episode yet.

Besides who is to say you can’t be beautiful, smart, and in the Airforce? A few weeks ago I saw a segment on CNN where they were interviewing a very lovely girl who was in the Miss USA contest – who also happened to be a commissioned officer in the US Airforce.

http://www.missusa.com/delegates/2007/files/AR-interview.html

Her promo pic is on the site. I bet she doesn’t look quite like that when she goes to work everyday.

In the end it is a matter of perspective, so I leave you with two diverse view points:
while my husband grins and says, “ All girl team – gotta see that one!” ;
my youngest daughter says, (to the concept of an all girl team) “Go Girl Power!”

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
what if someone doesn't find them desirable/attractive?

Therefor I said "and/or" ... well, they may need new glasses ;) ... or they have a different image on what makes a woman (or a man) beautiful... I don't know.

What makes a man/woman attractive to someone? If you want your question answered... I think this one is a good place to start. Maybe it could even potentially be the base of a whole new discussion.

a lot? come on you're exaggerating.

Have you looked around... I think the imbalance on GW is 70% female - 30% male. Also worthy of an investigation... ;)

besides we don't know anything about the team except for the actresses

And to some that's already quite a bit of information, otherwise this tread would never have been created in the first place.

the eps haven't even aired and you already know how TBTB are trying to attract a younger audience (assuming they are)? I understand your concern since you didn't like how they handled women in the past (or Teyla) but this is just pure speculation

It's speculation where past events take up an important place (see the reference back to Tok'ra Barbie and Peter Deluise's comment)... I can speculate.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Therefor I said "and/or" ... well, they may need new glasses ;) ... or they have a different image on what makes a woman (or a man) beautiful... I don't know.

What makes a man/woman attractive to someone? If you want your question answered... I think this one is a good place to start. Maybe it could even potentially be the base of a whole new discussion.

like you said it's in the eye of the beholder ;)

Have you looked around... I think the imbalance on GW is 70% female - 30% male. Also worthy of an investigation... ;)

LOL more research? :P I'm just saying that yes some people are concerned but it's not a lot imo. maybe I'm wrong...

And to some that's already quite a bit of information, otherwise this tread would never have been created in the first place.

true but you can't dismiss everything else just because folks think someone's hot. there's more to an ep than an actress (or in this case four), I believe you said so yourself

It's speculation where past events take up an important place (see the reference back to Tok'ra Barbie and Peter Deluise's comment)... I can speculate.

that's what I said. of course you can speculate but until we hear some news about the team/the ep(s) it's exactly that - pure speculation

Reiko
April 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I do. But I want to see good stories, and characters that have purpose and development. Characters I can, on some level, identify with. Stories that bring something to the overall idea of what Stargate Atlantis is. I'm not watching solely because I think Rachel looks beautiful, or Claire is extremely cute, or that Torri breaths leadership as if she was born to portray Elizabeth. I watch for the stories, the characters and their interactions...

.: Exactly. I like to relate to the characters I watch. I could do that with the cast we had in S1-S3. Of course, I thought the guys were thunkable and adorable and the ladies were also beautiful. But I mainly watched the show for the characters, their personalities and interactions with each other. That's what made the stories so great and fun to watch, by integrating the colourful characters into the show and it's ideas. I could relate to nearly all the core/recurring characters of the first three seasons on some level.

.: Lately SGA has failed in that department of giving me chaarcters I can identify with and enjoy their interactions in the 'family' they've created. It's either usually nonapparent or forced since S4.

.: On the subject of identifying with characters, I think one of the gender splits (amoung fans) is that women want to relate, men want to fantasize. I'm not saying all models (examples) of amels and female viewers fit this description, but it is a trend in society.

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
.: On the subject of identifying with characters, I think one of the gender splits (amoung fans) is that women want to relate, men want to fantasize. I'm not saying all models (examples) of amels and female viewers fit this description, but it is a trend in society.

can't we have both? :D

JohnDuh
April 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Mallozzi will swear on a stack of Origin that they were all picked because of their acting abilities and not their looks.

PG15
April 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
And you can prove him wrong?

Killdeer
April 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I think maybe part of my issue with the idea of an all-female team is that I can't figure out an in-universe justification for it. Out-of-universe justification, yeah, ok. I can see what they were trying to do, even if I think there were better ways to do it (more mixed teams). But an in-universe explanation of how Atlantis ended up with an all-female team when they have so very few female military personnel anyway? That one is what I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure what the big deal is. Casting hot looking people to act in a show/movie is not limited to women. Look at any given show you see hot looking women and handsome men. Rarely do they show plain looking people of either gender. I may not be the first on the line to say I don't like seeing hot women as that would be a lie. I have no issue if they cast a plain looking woman or a beautiful one as long as they can A.) do the part
B.) are believable as a character.
So far TPTB usually cast very well and I havent been disappointed with a casting choice yet.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I think maybe part of my issue with the idea of an all-female team is that I can't figure out an in-universe justification for it. Out-of-universe justification, yeah, ok. I can see what they were trying to do, even if I think there were better ways to do it (more mixed teams). But an in-universe explanation of how Atlantis ended up with an all-female team when they have so very few female military personnel anyway? That one is what I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around.
It would be rare however women in the service is increasing day by day so it's not impossible.

Skydiver
April 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
let's not worry about what 'others' are saying in 'other threads'

their opinions are just as valid as yours

ToasterOnFire
April 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
But an in-universe explanation of how Atlantis ended up with an all-female team when they have so very few female military personnel anyway? That one is what I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around.
That's probably the major reason why it smacks of a stunt to me instead of any real attempt to fix the imbalance between men and women on the show. Write in an all-female team for one ep, pat each other on the back, and return to the status quo.

jenks
April 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Except the surviving characters will more than likely be recurring...

Vala_M
April 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds very cool and is way overdue. I hope this will work out well onscreen and won't be a one time only thing.

Vala,

Jumper_One
April 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds very cool and is way overdue. I hope this will work out well onscreen and won't be a one time only thing.

Vala,

as jenks said some of them are recurring characters ;) IIRC at least Porter will survive Whispers, I'm not sure about the other three

Briangate78
April 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Folks,

Just give it a try. If you don't like it, then complain about it.

jelgate
April 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
as jenks said some of them are recurring characters ;) IIRC at least Porter will survive Whispers, I'm not sure about the other three

Don't tell FoXz.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Folks,

Very good approach I agree.

2ndgenerationalteran
April 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
all female team? oh please let the main setting be the atlantis pool ;)

Fenrir Foxz
April 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM

You're just saying that because Porter is played by Nicole de Boer :P

...I would think Porter is more redshirt material than Vega :P

Hey Folks,

Don't tell FoXz.

Too late... Hey Jelgate you want to join in whumping the Jumper? :P

all female team? oh please let the main setting be the atlantis pool ;)

LoL, if only ;) :D

Trek_Girl42
April 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure what the big deal is. Casting hot looking people to act in a show/movie is not limited to women. Look at any given show you see hot looking women and handsome men. Rarely do they show plain looking people of either gender. I may not be the first on the line to say I don't like seeing hot women as that would be a lie. I have no issue if they cast a plain looking woman or a beautiful one as long as they can A.) do the part
B.) are believable as a character.
So far TPTB usually cast very well and I havent been disappointed with a casting choice yet.Rarely do they show plain people of either gender? How about interesting looking people. Think of all the leading actors and actresses of the television shows that you watch. Then think of all the male actors with unique facial features that you see on television and in movies. List them. Now think of all the women with unique facial features. List them.

Stuck? That's because there aren't any. They all have the same lips, the same perfect noses, the same teeth, the same breasts, the same skinny waist, etc. If a woman packs a healthy couple of extra pounds, she's not getting that leading role! They cosmetically change themselves to conform to this. Male actors don't have to! They can pack a few extra pounds, they can have odd-shaped noses or thin lips. They can look like themselves.

So why do the women have to conform to one specific look? It's a frakking disgrace is what it is. :mad:

That's probably the major reason why it smacks of a stunt to me instead of any real attempt to fix the imbalance between men and women on the show. Write in an all-female team for one ep, pat each other on the back, and return to the status quo.Exactly. Write a team where a woman leads a mixed team. It's probably not their intent, but this puts across the impression that women can only lead teams of women. This is not elementary school for frak's sake! The boys and girls don't go off into separate corners. Show mixed teams, the way it should be! And it's very disheartening that we even have to argue this. :rolleyes:

KindlyKeller
April 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
haha, oh man. Having read a lot of the concerns about carson and the way he'll be portrayed around the women i cant wait.

The idea of him comin out the status chamber seeing the all female team and being like "Oi oi! what have we here?" *slaps one of them on the ass* "I didnt realise we were going striaght on a mission, looks like we've each got a stunner though! Know what i'm sayin guys!"

This is pretty hilarious. And it's a fair point. I mean, what could Carson possibly do?

Agent_Dark
April 14th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Rarely do they show plain people of either gender? How about interesting looking people. Think of all the leading actors and actresses of the television shows that you watch. Then think of all the male actors with unique facial features that you see on television and in movies. List them. Now think of all the women with unique facial features. List them.

Stuck? That's because there aren't any. They all have the same lips, the same perfect noses, the same teeth, the same breasts, the same skinny waist, etc. If a woman packs a healthy couple of extra pounds, she's not getting that leading role! They cosmetically change themselves to conform to this. Male actors don't have to! They can pack a few extra pounds, they can have odd-shaped noses or thin lips. They can look like themselves.

So why do the women have to conform to one specific look? It's a frakking disgrace is what it is. :mad:
Exactly. Write a team where a woman leads a mixed team. It's probably not their intent, but this puts across the impression that women can only lead teams of women. This is not elementary school for frak's sake! The boys and girls don't go off into separate corners. Show mixed teams, the way it should be! And it's very disheartening that we even have to argue this. :rolleyes:
dude, go watch some British or Australian (probably European too, but I can't speak for that) tv shows then. Everyone knows American TV is generally shallow and catered towards the lowest common denominator. If you want it changed, you'll have to change America first.

KindlyKeller
April 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM
It's a complete misnomer to say all the women "look the same." I'm extremely uncomfortable with that analysis because it reminds me of the "I can't tell them apart" mindset people sometimes have about race.

Obviously I'm not accusing anyone of some kind of prejudice. My point is, I agree that too often women who don't have a certain body type are denied roles -- and that's very frustrating to see -- but there's certainly a wide, wide spectrum of women with unique faces and specific facial characteristics.

smurf
April 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Okay ignoring the looks of the team - hey, at least they managed to hire some actresses over the age of 30 ;) - as a way of fixing the gender imbalance of the show I wouldn't say this is the best way of going about it.
The unlikelihood of an all female team makes it seem entirely token to me, and verging on the patronising. Yes there are all male teams, but that is not surprising since there are generally more men than women in both the armed forces, and scientific fields. I would expect, if there are four women available, for them to be spread across a number of teams to balance out skills and outlook.
But that's the logic argument.

Other thoughts which came to me are;
Well yes, token because they'll only exist properly for one episode.
Oh, horror episode and a number of female characters running around. How... conventional. ;)
And thirdly, and this is the important one, given the speculation is that
the Major dies
I hope that we won't be left with the implication
women shouldn't be leaders, especially if they but heads with the lead, and especially given the historical position of some of the female characters on the show.
I would sincerely hope that she gives her life in a heroic fashion, and not because she panics, or is shown to be wrong.
Before anyone argues it. Of course, male characters have been in that position, but given the dearth of female characters in that type of role the overall impact would be greater, and would add to the general stereotype. Like the effect of dropping a stone in a puddle as opposed to dropping it in a lake.

Vala_M
April 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM

I've gone easy on reading the season 5 info these days about the announcment about Woolsey joining the show otherwise I would have known that as well.

Thanks,
Vala,

Cam_Mitchell
April 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Captain Alicia Vega Leela Savasta <-- Hot Stuff!!

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Indeed :cool:

Jumper_One
April 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Don't tell FoXz.

I won't ;)

You're just saying that because Porter is played by Nicole de Boer :P

hm maybe :D but I also remember something Joe said ;)

...I would think Porter is more redshirt material than Vega :P

NO WAY! :P

Too late...

see jelgate it's too late...

Hey Jelgate you want to join in whumping the Jumper? :P

you guys really enjoy whumpin me don't you? :P

I've gone easy on reading the season 5 info these days about the announcment about Woolsey joining the show otherwise I would have known that as well.

Thanks,
Vala,

like I said I'm not sure about this but IIRC Joe mentioned that Porter will be a recurring character. Vega will most likely also survive Whispers, IDK about the other two

:indeed: :D

Indeed :cool:

what a surprise :P

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I won't ;)

:rolleyes:

hm maybe :D but I also remember something Joe said ;)

I must have missed that :P

NO WAY! :P

see jelgate it's too late...

The FoXz gets everywhere! :P

you guys really enjoy whumpin me don't you? :P

Nah I just didn't like the way you missed out Vega ;) :P

like I said I'm not sure about this but IIRC Joe mentioned that Porter will be a recurring character. Vega will most likely also survive Whispers, IDK about the other two

My money's on Vega surviving anyway :cool:

what a surprise :P

Indeed :D

Jumper_One
April 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I must have missed that :P

maybe I'm wrong, it's a little confusing :S

The FoXz gets everywhere! :P

are you sure? :P

Nah I just didn't like the way you missed out Vega ;) :P

jelgate likes to whump me ;)

My money's on Vega surviving anyway :cool:

see I mentioned her :D

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
maybe I'm wrong, it's a little confusing :S

LoL, I know the feeling :P

are you sure? :P

Well there are places the FoXz dare not go... :P

jelgate likes to whump me ;)

I've noticed :lol:

see I mentioned her :D

:cool:

jenks
April 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
This isn't the place to whine about Mallozzi's blog, though to be fair I can see how personal comments about the actors are not getting through.

Jumper_One
April 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
LoL, I know the feeling :P

yeah I mean with all the changes and stuff...

Well there are places the FoXz dare not go... :P

really? interesting... :P

I've noticed :lol:

:eek: jelgate's a whumper :P

:cool:

come on TBTB like her, she won't die ;)

PG15
April 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Oh, dear. It appears I’m now persona non grata on Mallozzi’s blog. The last comment I left was completely innocuous so I’m assuming he’s not letting it through because of my previous thoughts on the season finale.

Unless he has me under moderation to protect David Hewlett’s feelings? You decide.

In JM’s April 11th blog, Agent Dark said (referring to the all female team) - “<i>I wonder if all the people above complaining about the women being ‘too attractive’ are the same people who get all hot and flushed over the sight of Joe Flanigan or David Hewlett or Kavan Smith on screen. Well, at least its good to know that sexism is an equal opportunity discrimination.</i>

To paraphrase my comment (which I stupidly didn’t keep because I’d assumed it would pass moderation), I said that, I love David Hewlett as much as the next rabid fangirl, but that his attractiveness is in no way comparable to that of the four ladies cast. And that I’d like an example of a female lead character in <b>any</b> TV show that has a receding hairline, a bit of a gut and a double chin, and then we can talk about sexism.

JM has stated in the past that there are certain people who he's blocked outright for their behaviors.

Too late to complain now.

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
yeah I mean with all the changes and stuff...

:indeed: :S

really? interesting... :P

LoL, not really :P

Tis already known ;)

come on TBTB like her, she won't die ;)

Yup :cool:

JM has stated in the past that there are certain people who he's blocked outright for their behaviors.

And I'm guessing there's certain posts he wont answer by the very nature of the questions...

jelgate
April 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

LIES

Jumper_One
April 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM

it's his blog. Joe can do whatever he wants

And I'm guessing there's certain posts he wont answer by the very nature of the questions...

yeah that too

LIES

Briangate78
April 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
LIES

Denial :p

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :D

jelgate
April 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Say hello to my ignore list

Jumper_One
April 14th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Say hello to my ignore list

:rolleyes: :P

Reiko
April 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Rarely do they show plain people of either gender? How about interesting looking people. Think of all the leading actors and actresses of the television shows that you watch. Then think of all the male actors with unique facial features that you see on television and in movies. List them. Now think of all the women with unique facial features. List them.

.: Sad but true - I'm in agreement with you. I wasn't sure if you saw Falcon Horus' link to a very interesting article (wasn't sure if it was on this thread or not): http://thehathorlegacy.info/if-male-actors-had-to-be-as-blandly-perfect-as-female-ones/ It's an amazing, depressingly true article and I think what you posted hit the target.

Exactly. Write a team where a woman leads a mixed team. It's probably not their intent, but this puts across the impression that women can only lead teams of women.

.: ITA. Yeah, look how far w've come /sarcasm :mckay:

PG15
April 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Speaking of sarcasm, more updates from Whispers:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8069707&postcount=221

Fenrir Foxz
April 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Speaking of sarcasm, more updates from Whispers:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8069707&postcount=221

:lol: Amusing :D

Trek_Girl42
April 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
.: Sad but true - I'm in agreement with you. I wasn't sure if you saw Falcon Horus' link to a very interesting article (wasn't sure if it was on this thread or not): http://thehathorlegacy.info/if-male-actors-had-to-be-as-blandly-perfect-as-female-ones/ It's an amazing, depressingly true article and I think what you posted hit the target.

.: ITA. Yeah, look how far w've come /sarcasm :mckay:
That is a great article- I've been looking around that site the past day or so and it states plainly a lot of the things (on many subjects) I've been growing rather disgruntled with lately. It's good to know that others notice these things too. :)

Someone else mentioned on the thread that the standards for women's looks aren't as stringent in British and European television- and I'd have to agree with that. Look at Doctor Who and Torchwood! You have women like Billie Piper, Naoko Mori, Catherine Tate, Freema Agyman, and Eve Myles. The only actress there who might fall in the "size zero" category is Freema Agyman. They all look like healthy, normal-sized women- no bones showing there! On our side of the pond, for example, while watching one particular popular show earlier this season (or end of last season, it's so long since shows have been on that I can't remember :P), I could not help but notice one of the actresses looking very skeletal compared to the previous season (she was always very thin, but there was a real difference here). I'm watching the show and distracted by the thought of "Someone give the girl a muffin!" rather than being able to pay attention to the story. When bones showing gets to a distraction while watching a good show, you really have to wonder if there's a problem there..... :S

And that really is the biggest problem- the women who jeopardize their health to look like that, some of these actresses do naturally, but so many don't, and it's just plain sad that they're pressured to it. :rolleyes:

sarcasmo
April 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM

LOL. You think I care? Luckily, JM doesn’t police the internet.

As to my behaviour, I disagreed with his opinion. Clearly, a whipping offense.

sarcasmo
April 15th, 2008, 04:02 AM
This isn't the place to whine about Mallozzi's blog, though to be fair I can see how personal comments about the actors are not getting through.

If you'd read again, you'll notice that I wasn't the one who brought actors personal appearances into the forum. Another poster did and that got through so it's unusual that a right of reply wasn't allowed.

sarcasmo
April 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM
it's his blog. Joe can do whatever he wants

A man putting a halt to a discussion about sexism? Wow. That's totally never happened before.

/eyeroll

PG15
April 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah...if you still can't see why he blocked you, then...well, ignorance is bliss.

LOL. You think I care?

Yes. Otherwise, you wouldn't have brought it up.

KindlyKeller
April 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
As a side note, while I'm on record as hating this idea at this stage, I have to say, I think TPTB take too much flak sometimes.

i.e. Huge Weir fans saying, "These idiots can't write female characters - never have, never will." Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?

I'm not saying it's their strength. I'm just saying they're not patently bad at it.

Falcon Horus
April 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i.e. Huge Weir fans saying, "These idiots can't write female characters - never have, never will." Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?

Don't want to shoot down your logic reasoning here but as a Weir-fan (and a Teyla-fan, and first and foremost a Kate-fan) I can honestly say it wasn't the writing that lured me in to liking the Weir character, but Torri's portrayal who took the writing and interpreted it (with a little help from the directors).

sarcasmo
April 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?

If you're talking to me then no. I was a fan of the original Weir played by the original actor. Atlantis' Weir was insipid.

Reiko
April 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Don't want to shoot down your logic reasoning here but as a Weir-fan (and a Teyla-fan, and first and foremost a Kate-fan) I can honestly say it wasn't the writing that lured me in to liking the Weir character, but Torri's portrayal who took the writing and interpreted it (with a little help from the directors).

.: Same here. After all, I believe the actors create at least half the character. If someone else tried to play the character even with the same writing, it would turn out differently based on thier interpretation/characterzation. :)

.: Stop bickering guys, or you might get sporked and/or noodled

Skydiver
April 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
What is this, grumpy night on the forum?

FOlks, you have personal issues with each other, you keep them personal and off this forum.

Have issues with Joe all you want but express those issues in a respectful way.

This thread is also about the 'all female team' that might/will happen in season five, it's not open season on anything else

KindlyKeller
April 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hmm. I would contend that it's extremely rare that an actor or actress can rescue material that is truly as abysmal as people imply the TPTB's is. There has to be a starting point. However, it does seem reasonable to say one's enjoyment of Weir is owed more to Torri than to the writing.

KindlyKeller
April 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
If you're talking to me then no. I was a fan of the original Weir played by the original actor. Atlantis' Weir was insipid.

No, I wasn't talking to you.

Reiko
April 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hmm. I would contend that it's extremely rare that an actor or actress can rescue material that is truly as abysmal as people imply the TPTB's is. There has to be a starting point. However, it does seem reasonable to say one's enjoyment of Weir is owed more to Torri than to the writing.

.: The starting point was S4 - in general. Certain characters were just stooped so much more low. I'm just saying in S4 the writing degraded considerably in my opinion (but in some case worse than others).

KindlyKeller
April 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
.: The starting point was S4 - in general. Certain characters were just stooped so much more low. I'm just saying in S4 the writing degraded considerably in my opinion (but in some case worse than others).

Yeah, you have a lot who agree with you.

What I meant with "starting point," was that even if it's Torri's performance that "makes" the Weir character for someone, the writing -- which people have assailed since Season 2 -- has to be good enough that Torri has a jumping-off point for her performance. It has to be good enough for her to be able to do her thing as an actress.

Anyway...

Regarding the female team, it will come down to the same things.

1. Is the writing good enough that the actresses have something to work with?
2. Do the actresses deliver in their performances?

Skydiver
April 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM

that's what it'll come down to for me

will it just be an atlantis team that just HAPPENS to all be female....or will the 'amazon' cliche be so overplayed that it's a joke???

we'll find out in a few months

Reiko
April 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM

.: ITA. I'm hoping these girls will actually been given uniqueness in the writing yet flexible enough when they are passed over to the ctress. You don't want it to be too vague or too vivid.

Fjord
April 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think Dusty might be playing an Indian role....atleast she can pass off as Indian quite easily...if so she might be the only representative of India on Atlantis...

jenks
April 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
There was an Indian guy in season 4.

Fjord
April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
There was an Indian guy in season 4.

I thought he was from America or Canada...o well...dusty might be the only female Indian representative seen so far :)

PG15
April 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
JM answers more questions about this:

Dovil writes: “About Whispers the information that was presented was:

1. There was to be an all women team.
2. It was to be a horror episode.
3. Not all of them would survive.
4. Photos of the actresses that arguably did not depict them looking like military “

Answers: 1. Rather than create a recurring character and hope for the best, I opted to go the Summit route. In SG-1’s Summit, I introduced about a half dozen system lords and used the episode as an audition of sorts to find out which of the characters would pop - and have potential to come back. Cliff Simon’s turn as Baal was great and, based on his performance in Summit, we brought him back. Many, many times. This was the thinking with the all-female team. Rather than put all our eggs into one basket, we created a scenario in which one or more of these characters (well, the ones who happen to survive the episode anyway) could return. 2. Is the natural assumption then that these women will be running around screaming, in various states of undress, being pursued by a knife-wielding maniac? 3. Hey, that goes for almost any guest star. 4. But they’re actresses, not actual soldiers. The links I provided lead to the actress’s personal websites so, of course, they’re going to look their very best

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/april-15-2008-ah-finally-the-weekend-is-upon-usuhoh/

Briangate78
April 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Wow so that is very clever. I guess it would be who does the best and sorta like a Stargate Survivor, lol.

Mitchell82
April 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow so that is very clever. I guess it would be who does the best and sorta like a Stargate Survivor, lol.

Stargate Survivor? Now that's a Survivor I'd watch.

jenks
April 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I thought he was from America or Canada...o well...dusty might be the only female Indian representative seen so far :)

It's an easy mistake to make, every guest character has an American accent no matter where they're from it seems. I think they just look at who they've cast as slap a flag on them accordingly, if they're Asian they get a Chinese or Japanese flag, if they're Caucasian with dark skin they get an Indian one etc, regardless of the fact their accent of course, it's one of the little things that really annoys me about Atlantis. I really hope this all female teams isn't all American, I mean how difficult is it to cast people that can fake accents?

Detox
April 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM
It's an easy mistake to make, every guest character has an American accent no matter where they're from it seems. I think they just look at who they've cast as slap a flag on them accordingly, if they're Asian they get a Chinese or Japanese flag, if they're Caucasian with dark skin they get an Indian one etc, regardless of the fact their accent of course, it's one of the little things that really annoys me about Atlantis. I really hope this all female teams isn't all American, I mean how difficult is it to cast people that can fake accents?

I thought for most of the extras, the nationalities they get slapped with, are their own. At least, most of the non-Americans that is.

jenks
April 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I suppose it depends what you mean when your say 'their own'. I wouldn't class someone who was born in the UK but raised in North America since the age of infancy to be British, for example.

Falcon Horus
April 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM

An actor can take the parts written for him/her only so far but if it's done well... than he/she can contribute to the likings of that character.

One can also be fascinated by the premise of the character itself, without the contributing factor of liking the actor portraying that character.

I had no clue who any of the people were when SGA started, except for TH and DH, whom I had seen in SG1. Except in SG1, I was surprised to find that Weir had gone from blond to brown, from Jessica Steen to Torri Higginson. I like both Weir's, more accustomed to TH's Weir since she got to own the character longer.

I think I fall into the second option more than in the first... I am fascinated by Kate, Teyla and Elizabeth... except recently I'm not so sure whether I love them because who they are/were on the show, or because I love them as fanfic characters in which they are sometimes better portrayed than on screen, especially Teyla.

What I meant with "starting point," was that even if it's Torri's performance that "makes" the Weir character for someone, the writing -- which people have assailed since Season 2 -- has to be good enough that Torri has a jumping-off point for her performance. It has to be good enough for her to be able to do her thing as an actress.

The writing can suck, and still someone might be able to bring it better to the foreground than it looks on paper... However, one can go only so far with what they are given, and possibly misinterpret what is written if it's too vague.

If Shakespeare hadn't told his Juliette character that she in fact loves Romeo and he had only said there'd be a man in her life, would she still have fallen for Romeo or would she have interpreted she'd fall in love with someone who might have been Romeo.

^^Not quite sure that makes sense or if it's even relevant. As a writer you are responsible for your characters and it's your duty to spend time on them, to expand them.

An actor then knows what the character is and can take it from there, adding little things themselves if they're allowed to do so, or try to be what the writer's envision them to be. But if they don't know... Well, then all credit goes to the actor.

I think I'm rambling... sorry... :o

1. I foresee much 1D and 2D characterization...
2. I hope they have a major ability to live the character without knowing much about it. Their acting will surely be tested.

will it just be an atlantis team that just HAPPENS to all be female....or will the 'amazon' cliche be so overplayed that it's a joke???

Good point. :)

Briangate78
April 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Stargate Survivor? Now that's a Survivor I'd watch.

LOL, well dude. It worked for Ba'al. I loved how Joe M was the one who pitched the idea for Summit.