No announcement yet.

Stargate: Ark of Truth/Continuum - IGN: Interview: Stargate's Sam Carter Speaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Ark of Truth/Continuum - IGN: Interview: Stargate's Sam Carter Speaks

From IGN (Australia):

Interview: Stargate's Sam Carter Speaks

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/865/8659...0&RSSid=865943

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Amanda Tapping - the woman who brought sexy back to smart.

by Joanna Cohen, IGN AU

Australia, April 10, 2008 - The woman who has made smart sexy for the past decade is once again fighting brutal enemies in distant galaxies as Stargate SG-1 returns with the ultimate voyage, Stargate: The Ark of Truth. Golden Globe and three-time Emmy Award winning actress, Amanda Tapping, is back as Sam Carter; the sexy scientist with one of the bleakest romance histories in space.

The final series of Stargate SG-1 may have drawn to a close but that is not the end of the story. This week sees the Australian release of the first of two DVD feature-length adventures. Stargate: the Ark of Truth concludes the series finale and sends SG-1 on their final mission to defeat the sinister Ori force.

Tapping talks to IGN AU about sci-fi women, shooting in the Arctic and over ten years of being Carter.

**snippage**

IGN AU: Did you go into this role with preconceptions about the portrayal of women in the sci-fi genre?

Amanda Tapping: I found the portrayal of women quite stereotypical – particularly early sci-fi. Women either played a very sexy alien or a *****y leader. It was pretty one dimensional and linear to be honest. Uhura was the first character where you sort of went ooh she is intelligent but she still had to wear the short skirt. I think Captain Janeway blasted it out a lot too in terms of being a strong leader. I went in feeling that sci-fi had been very linear in its thinking, television in general can be very linear in its thinking.

**snippage**

IGN AU: And I imagine that shooting in the Arctic was indeed quite the experience.

Amanda Tapping: It was the best experience of my career, by far. We shot one year ago exactly and it was unbelievable.

IGN AU: What is a typical day like when you are shooting in that kind of environment?

Amanda Tapping: There is no typical shooting day up there. We would just grab shots when we could. Sometimes the wind was way too strong to shoot. We hit -68 degrees one day with the wind chill. It was blowing white and the cameras were freezing up. It was crazy. We shot a couple of shots at sunset because the winds had calmed down but it was literally guerrilla shooting. It would be like 'Get out there now and shoot shoot shoot…the sun is setting" and as prepared as you are every day, and we were prepared, it was unpredictable. We would have these meetings every night where we would say if the weather is good and the submarine can surface and this happens and that happens, then we will shoot this scene. And if this doesn't happen we will shoot that and if it all falls apart then we will just have a very heavy day the next day.

It was pretty crazy. There was one day when the submarine couldn't surface because the wind was too strong. You would wake up every morning and not know what was going to happen. And the weather changes on a dime up there too so it starts out sunny, you get all the gear out there and you will shooting the first scene after breakfast and then suddenly the wind picks up and its all over.

**snippage**

Stargate: The Ark of Truth is available on DVD in Australia on April 9, 2008.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Originally posted by morjana View Post
    From IGN (Australia):

Interview: Stargate's Sam Carter Speaks

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/865/8659...0&RSSid=865943

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Amanda Tapping - the woman who brought sexy back to smart.

by Joanna Cohen, IGN AU

Australia, April 10, 2008 - The woman who has made smart sexy for the past decade is once again fighting brutal enemies in distant galaxies as Stargate SG-1 returns with the ultimate voyage, Stargate: The Ark of Truth. Golden Globe and three-time Emmy Award winning actress, Amanda Tapping, is back as Sam Carter; the sexy scientist with one of the bleakest romance histories in space.

The final series of Stargate SG-1 may have drawn to a close but that is not the end of the story. This week sees the Australian release of the first of two DVD feature-length adventures. Stargate: the Ark of Truth concludes the series finale and sends SG-1 on their final mission to defeat the sinister Ori force.

Tapping talks to IGN AU about sci-fi women, shooting in the Arctic and over ten years of being Carter.

**snippage**

IGN AU: Did you go into this role with preconceptions about the portrayal of women in the sci-fi genre?

Amanda Tapping: I found the portrayal of women quite stereotypical – particularly early sci-fi. Women either played a very sexy alien or a *****y leader. It was pretty one dimensional and linear to be honest. Uhura was the first character where you sort of went ooh she is intelligent but she still had to wear the short skirt. I think Captain Janeway blasted it out a lot too in terms of being a strong leader. I went in feeling that sci-fi had been very linear in its thinking, television in general can be very linear in its thinking.

**snippage**

IGN AU: And I imagine that shooting in the Arctic was indeed quite the experience.

Amanda Tapping: It was the best experience of my career, by far. We shot one year ago exactly and it was unbelievable.

IGN AU: What is a typical day like when you are shooting in that kind of environment?

Amanda Tapping: There is no typical shooting day up there. We would just grab shots when we could. Sometimes the wind was way too strong to shoot. We hit -68 degrees one day with the wind chill. It was blowing white and the cameras were freezing up. It was crazy. We shot a couple of shots at sunset because the winds had calmed down but it was literally guerrilla shooting. It would be like 'Get out there now and shoot shoot shoot…the sun is setting" and as prepared as you are every day, and we were prepared, it was unpredictable. We would have these meetings every night where we would say if the weather is good and the submarine can surface and this happens and that happens, then we will shoot this scene. And if this doesn't happen we will shoot that and if it all falls apart then we will just have a very heavy day the next day.

It was pretty crazy. There was one day when the submarine couldn't surface because the wind was too strong. You would wake up every morning and not know what was going to happen. And the weather changes on a dime up there too so it starts out sunny, you get all the gear out there and you will shooting the first scene after breakfast and then suddenly the wind picks up and its all over.

**snippage**

Stargate: The Ark of Truth is available on DVD in Australia on April 9, 2008.
    I didn't know Amanda had won an Emmy, let alone three, how cool!

FF
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
      I didn't know Amanda had won an Emmy, let alone three, how cool!

FF
      AT never won an Emmy or Golden Globe, she won Leo Award and Saturn. I wonder what kind of journalists works for IGN....Now they have edited their article....
      sigpic
      Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Um..there are a couple errors in the site's blurb, FF.

I'm afraid AT hasn't won any US Emmy Awards to date ,but she does have three Canadian Leos ,plus other awards/noms to her credit .

http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts...=display&pid=5

Nice interview though,Morjana.Thank you for sharing !
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
          Um..there are a couple errors in the site's blurb, FF.

I'm afraid AT hasn't won any US Emmy Awards to date ,but she does have three Canadian Leos ,plus other awards/noms to her credit .

http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts...=display&pid=5

Nice interview though,Morjana.Thank you for sharing !
          Well, that's shoddy journalism.
          I've just looked at the article on the site, looks like they've changed it now. But you would have thought they would have checked their facts before publishing. Very unprofessional.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Yup.They shouldn't have run their interview without checking out their facts.
            *Sigh*
            Then again ,sometimes the rush to publish overcomes journalists' scruples and standards .

At least they corrected the article ,though.
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
            X