PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if we lost the entire fleet?

YutheGreat
April 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
There is a great sentiment around that Atlantis has been winning in every ship battle so what if we loose the fleet. Daedalus, Appollo even the up and comming Phoenix? This would be outside typical Sci Fi formula we lost the entire fleet. We have no more ships for at least a year.

Since they are the most powerful vessels in PG how is this going to happen?

Michael leaks intel that he is massing all his forces hybrids and hives on one planet. It is incredibly well fortified that Todd seeks Shepards help. Atlantis deploys the entire fleet along with a couple of hives from Todd. A battle was fought. Unknown to them, It is all Michael's plan to destroy the Atlantis fleet. Michael boobytrapped the Sun Carter-style. The one she did in the SG1 episode the Exodus to blow up the sun.

or

Michael finds an Asuran Off world shipyard where they were building a new type of ship. It was built off world because Oberoth was worried the Atlanteans would try the Appollo's Assault in Season 4 First Strike. In true Ancient Fashion they left it behind underwater when Oberoth issued the recall order so they could regroup back on Asuras. Michael finishes the fleet using an army of Mckay-clones. He got the DNA when he captured Mckay in Allies. Simillar to what Anubis did in Full Circle he rises up and wipes out the fleet.

WHat do you think?

P-90_177
April 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hmmm. that's an interesting idea. I quite like it. It would be quite cool to see atlantis acting on information that turned out to be false and it ends up destroying all the ships in an engagement with a huge wraith fleet...........wouldn't be amazingly keen on seeing caldwell buy the farm but......meh he's had a good run.

Dark lord me
April 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hmmm. that's an interesting idea. I quite like it. It would be quite cool to see atlantis acting on information that turned out to be false and it ends up destroying all the ships in an engagement with a huge wraith fleet...........wouldn't be amazingly keen on seeing caldwell buy the farm but......meh he's had a good run.

NOT CALDWELL ....Ellis on the otherhand....:jack_new_anime07:
I do think it would be good for us to lose one of the ships (Apollo after like marks is off :) )

sldghamr
April 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
uh, what about the odyssey??

Myles
April 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't mind losing 1, maybe 2 ships if we had The Phoenix, Deady, and Apollo in the fight, but not all of them. In fact, now that I think about it it, I want to see another ship destroyed in a large battle, ala Korolev in Camelot. Just one though ;)

YutheGreat
April 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't mind losing 1, maybe 2 ships if we had The Phoenix, Deady, and Apollo in the fight, but not all of them. In fact, now that I think about it it, I want to see another ship destroyed in a large battle, ala Korolev in Camelot. Just one though ;)

Actually if there was a sun explosion route I was thinking that the Phoenix could survive. I mean if Carter was commanding it. When her officers notify her of the fluctuation in the Sun she would understand it instantly and order them to jump into hyperspace. Since the Other Cols aren't scientists they would order for more scans. Carter will try to warn them of course but couldn't get through to them in time because of the battle. The explosion would damage the Phoenix hence it will be shelved for a few months to get it back on line. and ready for battle.

When you think about the Phoenix surviving an exploding sun then comming back on line. It is like a Phoenix being reborn out of the fire.

I don't want to loose the Oddy it has the Asgard Core the legacy of the Asgard!

rielgenius1688
April 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well, we do know that another race will be introduced in the upcoming season, and Jeff Mallozzi has said that we will also see new kinds of ships, maybe we'll be lucky and this new race will be able to cause significant trouble to the Ta'uri warships.

dragos
April 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Was thinking about this idea of losing the fleet and thought of an interesting twist they could put on the carter-sun implosion idea.

I dont know if this had already suggested some where else (sorry if it has).

If Michael does lure the fleet and then takes the sun out, the whole fleet bar the pheonix with carter, mckay and shep on it. In the blast wave the Pheonix gets blasted into another galexy like happend in exodus. They just happen to be transported to the galexy and very near to the ship that is seeding stargates around like is proposed for the Stargate Universe theme, they realise it is anchient and this is how they find out about it and the whole 9th chevron.

Any one else think that this might be a good idea to mix the destruction of the fleet with something else?

thekillman
April 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
michael develops a new type of battle ship [5km long], and succesfully fights the 304's

ijffdrie
April 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM
you know that ship is half as long as a hive?

SGFerrit
April 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Having a technologically advanced fleet is what Stargate has been leading up to since the very start of SG-1. It has taken 11 years to get to this point, losing the whole 'fleet' (even if it is just 2 or 3 ships) would be a kick in the teeth and a big step backward. You only have to look at Atlantis season 4 to realise both ships and gates can live in harmony in the franchise as it were, and there can still be a big sense of peril.

They barely used the Daedalus/Apollo last year compared to previous seasons. We had a bit of the Apollo in the beginning, and then not much, if any ship-usage until BAMSR. Between then and the Kindred we only had I think 1 episode that used the ships, Outcast.

I liked that about season 4. They used the ships in places, but most of the time the team were using the gate. They got the right balance IMO for the point we are at in the franchise.

kymeric
April 10th, 2008, 04:56 AM
3 ships is not a fleet.

Now if we were talking about f-302's then yeah theres a fleet.

At the moast 3 ships is a battlegroup.

stargatelvr
April 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Well, we do know that another race will be introduced in the upcoming season, and Jeff Mallozzi has said that we will also see new kinds of ships, maybe we'll be lucky and this new race will be able to cause significant trouble to the Ta'uri warships.

Where did you here that?

SGFerrit
April 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Where did you here that?

'Jeff' Mallozzi posts it on his blog:D

wise one
April 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM
i would call earths fleet a pack not a fleet

maybe 12 earths ships than i call that a fleet and with f-302 running along side, now that would look cool

Jackie
April 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
not only should we lose the ships we have we should also lose the ability to make more.

then, perhaps the show would be stargate again.

thekillman
April 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
why? our ships are good. i like it. its how we finally can stand up. the asgard beams were the last final step[though the hive kill in 3 shots is a bit extreme]

jenks
April 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'd prefer not to lose Ellis, Caldwell, Novak or Marks, and I think destroying the Odyssey would take something away from the Asgard's sacrifice, but other than that blast away, if it adds to the drama then I can't complain.

AutumnDream
April 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I would be glad, because then the show might actually turn into Stargate Atlantis rather than Star Trek or SG1.

Constanza
April 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Michael finishes the fleet using an army of Mckay-clones.

God! Just to picture that scenario… hahahaha

Platschu
April 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It would be more interesting, if they loose some part of the city (one of the six arm or more tower etc.). An Atlantis ruin would be more tragic in CGI scenes, but it could have a feel, that they have fought hardly for their home. ;)

PG15
April 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
YES.

I would love for the city to loose one of the piers, permanently.

Then of course, we get the obligatory "dive for treasures" episode immediately afterwards when we try to salvage what we can from the sunken pier.

I wants it.

jenks
April 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4580/0006wxygqc3.jpg

Col. Shadow Quinn
April 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Actually if there was a sun explosion route I was thinking that the Phoenix could survive. I mean if Carter was commanding it. When her officers notify her of the fluctuation in the Sun she would understand it instantly and order them to jump into hyperspace. Since the Other Cols aren't scientists they would order for more scans. Carter will try to warn them of course but couldn't get through to them in time because of the battle. The explosion would damage the Phoenix hence it will be shelved for a few months to get it back on line. and ready for battle.

When you think about the Phoenix surviving an exploding sun then comming back on line. It is like a Phoenix being reborn out of the fire.

I don't want to loose the Oddy it has the Asgard Core the legacy of the Asgard!

Nobody would be that stupid. I'm pretty sure the crew of the Daedalus and Apollo know that they'd have to get the hell out of dodge when a star explodes. Everyone knows that when sensors pick up an exploding star, you have get the hell away.

Heaven
April 11th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with losing the fleet

it would mean:

* Atlantis isolated again which is great
* more gate travel
* no more convenient beam outs
* possibly finding an ancient ship and keeping it

besides there are only two other races in the galaxy who have ships anyway
how many times can you recycle space battles between the same kind of ships

Bray
April 11th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Maybe the fleet could be involved in some huge battle (It would look cool) but as opposed to them all being wiped out, maybe the fleet (battle group, wolf pack whatever) gets ambushed, they fight the good fight, but loose 1 ship, the other two (or three) very badly damaged 304's jump out back to Atlantis, but are so badly damaged that they will be out of commission for most of if not all the season.

YutheGreat
April 11th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Nobody would be that stupid. I'm pretty sure the crew of the Daedalus and Apollo know that they'd have to get the hell out of dodge when a star explodes. Everyone knows that when sensors pick up an exploding star, you have get the hell away.

Of course, they are going to run away when they see the giant hellfire comming towards them but could they evade it in time. Carter and the Phoenix can barely escape because when she sees the readings about fluctations with the Sun she will know what they mean and immediately order the SHip to hyperspace.

Besides, They are doing battle with Michael's hives.

Lossing the towers of Atlantis is a bad thing and would be tragic but this would have long term problems. Sections of the city would have no shields. I don't think they can enter hyperspace as well. They can fly it but shields would be a problem. Ultimately I may be biased with this. Atlantis looks good I don't want it end up like the one in the Tower.

Of course, this could happen and then after a few episodes We get an alliance with RepliWeir. She helps rebuild Atlantis in exchange they get to study Rodney, Daniel, Shepard. The Near Ascended Boys.

Rodney in the Tao of Mckay

Daniel in numerous occassions

Shepard in that episode he was with the wannabe Ascended in the time dialation planet.

Constanza
April 11th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Please, no more replicators!!
I really don’t like the idea of having part of the city destroyed… they haven’t finished exploring it (they owe us that!).

And although it will be sad losing all the “fleet”… I like the idea; they’ll be completely isolated and back to regular gate travel (but save Novak and Marks!… I like them).

garhkal
April 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
why? our ships are good. i like it. its how we finally can stand up. the asgard beams were the last final step[though the hive kill in 3 shots is a bit extreme]

I think it is cause of how easily we can own other races now, is why some are saying we need to loose a ship or two, or three...

I would love for the city to loose one of the piers, permanently.

Then of course, we get the obligatory "dive for treasures" episode immediately afterwards when we try to salvage what we can from the sunken pier.

Now that i would love to see.

ashman2
April 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I would be furious if we lost the entire fleet. I think I'd actually stop watching, which is saying something considering how long I've been a fan.

jenks
April 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I would be furious if we lost the entire fleet. I think I'd actually stop watching, which is saying something considering how long I've been a fan.

Why though?

Angelgrinder
April 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM

We can take on ships built with the knowledge of ascended beings, what could possibly caus trouble for us now?

Jackie
April 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Instead of having some great battle take the feet out how about an angle where the ships are hunted and destroyed by an unknown creature that actually consumes the hyper drive core.

I would envision a huge, fiery snake like beast that actually lived in outer space. It consumes high concentrations of energy.

I would call it a Leviathan...after the myth. Have this thing suddenly come back to our galaxy and start eating hyper drives. It would be powerful enough to consume or break through an energy shield and then bore a hole right through the fuselage of the ship. Consume the engine core and emerge the other side.

You wouldn't be able to out run it and you could destroy it with a nuclear missile.

Would love to see Carter and McKay up against that thing.:)

flameling
April 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
How about this:
Huge space battle against Michael, who blows up the sun, but Apollo have damaged hyperdrives and Ellis beams off everyone, but there isn't enough energy to beam him on to a ship so he dies trying to ram Michel's ship, but that doesn't work, but Daedulus and Pheonix escape.

YutheGreat
April 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Instead of having some great battle take the feet out how about an angle where the ships are hunted and destroyed by an unknown creature that actually consumes the hyper drive core.

I would envision a huge, fiery snake like beast that actually lived in outer space. It consumes high concentrations of energy.

I would call it a Leviathan...after the myth. Have this thing suddenly come back to our galaxy and start eating hyper drives. It would be powerful enough to consume or break through an energy shield and then bore a hole right through the fuselage of the ship. Consume the engine core and emerge the other side.

You wouldn't be able to out run it and you could destroy it with a nuclear missile.

Interesting but 3 ships with Asgard weapons against one of those the odds are against the monster. Also they could just feed it one ship on self destruct and well the blast radius is huge in Last Man it took out three Hives. Now if there were a dozen of those.

Jumper_One
April 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
How about this:
Huge space battle against Michael, who blows up the sun, but Apollo have damaged hyperdrives and Ellis beams off everyone, but there isn't enough energy to beam him on to a ship so he dies trying to ram Michel's ship, but that doesn't work, but Daedulus and Pheonix escape.

interesting but it reminds me of TLM ;)

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
i could live with that ....start to refocus on the "stargate"

Merlin's_Legacy
April 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Reminds me of that Farscape episode with the giant Boodonk or whatever it was called... I can still hear the old man saying "It eatsss starrrrships". :D

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well, I inquired about the pier thing...

PG15 writes: “What do you think about removing one of Atlantis’s piers, permanently, during some battle or explosion or something? Do you guys think you’ll ever do something like that, damage one of the show’s vehicles permanently?”

Answer: It’s possible, but I’m reluctant to make a change for the sake of one episode that would effectively render all of our existing city establishing shots useless.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/12/april-12-2008-dont-judge-a-book-by-its-drop-dead-gorgeous-cover/

That's not unexpected. It's basically the same reasoning as many other shows: money. Oh well.

UrukHai
April 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ok... who is Jeff Mallozzi? </sarcasm>

One of the charms of this franchise IMO is the fact that they use and adapt technology they aquire. Building our own interstellar vessels is one major component of that charm.

Keep in mind that having the ships is another storytelling device, and that Earth still needs to be defended. You never know when a pesky replicator fleet will show up. And if they seriously start looking at merchandising (other than the bland Diamond stuff), I'd stock up on ship models.

Also keep in mind the 'thrust' of the new Stargate Universe series. Automated Robot ship sent by the ancients to seed another galaxy with star gates. OK, so this really isn't a spoiler technically, but I was dying to use the spoiler tag thingy. I think 'ships' will remain an active part of the franchise for some time to come.

Jackie
April 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Interesting but 3 ships with Asgard weapons against one of those the odds are against the monster. Also they could just feed it one ship on self destruct and well the blast radius is huge in Last Man it took out three Hives. Now if there were a dozen of those.

this creature would be exceedingly fast--speed of light, very maneuverable, and could navigate through the hazards of space. It wouldn't be a mindless creature. It would be a predator that consumes things, including engines. Our current weapons would be no match for this thing. A nuclear missile wouldn't even phase it. Three ships would be sitting ducks. Asgard weapons could not penetrate its skin. This is a creature made to LIVE in the harshness of space.

Reminds me of that Farscape episode with the giant Boodonk or whatever it was called... I can still hear the old man saying "It eatsss starrrrships". :D

never saw that ep. Only watch the first year of the show.

Cam_Mitchell
April 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I would be delighted, but then sad because of no space battle scenes...

wraith form Replicator
April 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It would be cool if they really lost a ship or two as in wraith or the new race chaptered them.

Note: Yes I know they would have to come up with a way of stopping the wraith
from using the hyperdrive engine but thats up to the writers.

CobraGate
April 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I would hate if they lost their "fleet". I said in a post a few years back when they lost that ancient destroyer the Orion or whatever, 4 or 5 ships is actually not enough. Losing the Promethus & that russian ship was actually quite bad. Its not like they have a whole fleet with about a dozen classes like Trek. Sure in the old days SG-1 sneaking around in a goa'uld ship was different than Trek or B5, & getting a ship made it less different, but at least the advancement to having ship(s) was done for the most part organicly.

While SG hasnt been able to build up a rouges galley of aliens like Trek, B5, SW etc, just having the goa'uld, Ori, Wraith & both Replicators all having a convient excuse for not just sending 1-2 ships to blow SGC off the face of the earth is kind of a strech. Even the 4 ships they have would not help.

Plus, what happened with the Asgard fleet?

Aryk Celestis
April 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I think it'd suck if we lost the whole fleet, but it would be an interesting twist to lose a big part. I'd prefer it if in some battle with a huge Wraith fleet or with a big new enemy, the Daedalus, the Apollo and the new Phoenix are caught in an ambush. The Daedalus and the Apollo would be destroyed (maybe most of the crew would beam down onto a planet and survive, though) and the Phoenix badly damaged (I like the Phoenix rising from the ashes thing).

It would cut Atlantis off again, as it would take about a season or so for the Phoenix to be repaired and I doubt they would send the Odyssey to the Pegasus Galaxy unless if it was a really big emergency. After all, the Odyssey is still meant to be Earth's primary means of defense along with the Ancient Outpost.

Cam_Mitchell
April 18th, 2008, 02:23 AM
It would be cool if they really lost a ship or two as in wraith or the new race chaptered them.

Note: Yes I know they would have to come up with a way of stopping the wraith
from using the hyperdrive engine but thats up to the writers.

That would be good... Wraith taking one of our ships sounds awesome!

expendable_crewman
April 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
this creature would be exceedingly fast--speed of light, very maneuverable, and could navigate through the hazards of space. It wouldn't be a mindless creature. It would be a predator that consumes things, including engines. Our current weapons would be no match for this thing. A nuclear missile wouldn't even phase it. Three ships would be sitting ducks. Asgard weapons could not penetrate its skin. This is a creature made to LIVE in the harshness of space.

Nice way to cut off Atlantis, at least in a "one way" sense. The ships are still there ... well, the one or two that survive ... but unable to go anywhere. They are grounded until somebody figures out how to deal with the thing.

Atlantis could 'gate to Earth but without the bridge and the 304s zipping all over the place Earth could not easily re-supply Atlantis. Earth would have to take the ZPM from the Oddessey or the Antarctic base just to "phone" Atlantis via the Stargate. They could easily write a mishap for the Oddessey's ZPM. And pulling the ZPM from the Antarctic weapon chair is do-able but only on a case by case basis.

Athosian Death facilitator
April 18th, 2008, 05:22 AM
God! Just to picture that scenario… hahahaha

Ba'al is annoyingly so so so funny as a clone. His wittyness.
Now McKay, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's serious television.

YutheGreat
April 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
That would be good... Wraith taking one of our ships sounds awesome!

True but with the kind of fire power the 304s have plus the three of them together I doubt the Wraith hiveships are up to the task. One or two are bound to jump into hyperspace unless all three of them are disabled beforehand.

Why don't they use the Wraith virus that took control of the Daedalus way back in Season 2. The Wraith seem to be very good in computer programs.

kymeric
April 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
True but with the kind of fire power the 304s have plus the three of them together I doubt the Wraith hiveships are up to the task. One or two are bound to jump into hyperspace unless all three of them are disabled beforehand.

Why don't they use the Wraith virus that took control of the Daedalus way back in Season 2. The Wraith seem to be very good in computer programs.

The lucian alliance took the oddyssey with some crappy @ZZED hataks and a mine field. Its strategy that wins a conflict not brute force.

YutheGreat
April 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
The lucian alliance took the oddyssey with some crappy @ZZED hataks and a mine field. Its strategy that wins a conflict not brute force.

True, but brute force does work. Look at the Wraith. Ancients had better weapons tech etc but they still won. Without capable warriors to apply strategy you need to have super-strategies to make up for it.

Mirel
April 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Yes. I remember somewhere reading that the newer seasons were going to be a lot darker (starting from S3). But frankly, the show is kinda on a downhill path, it's laughable. We need more eps like The Real World.

Destroying some ships and killing of characters would certainly help making the show seem darker. The way Carson was killed was too funny. :')

They should just kill of a character and move on with it. No big scenes showing everyone how sad they are and whatnot.

*hints at BSG*

kymeric
April 19th, 2008, 05:22 AM
We need more eps like The Real World.

As much as i <3 tptb i still cant make it thru this ep. It literally put my guests asleep on the first airing. I get the identity thing, i get the Elisabeth insight, i even loved the settings and guest star but man....

YutheGreat
April 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM
As much as i <3 tptb i still cant make it thru this ep. It literally put my guests asleep on the first airing. I get the identity thing, i get the Elisabeth insight, i even loved the settings and guest star but man....

Dark episodes storyline: How about an episode where an Atlnatis team member is captured by Michael and turned into a hybrid. He joins Michael but betrays him to save the team. There are two endings:

1. The team member is experimented upon by Keller to cure him and other like him, alive. He is kept in the holding cell alone in the dark.

2. He sacrifices himself by staying behind fighting off dozens of hybrids and Shepard just leaves him behind. He doesn't go in with a rescue team for the guy.

Of course for this to be dark it needs to be a kind of familiar character. Atlantis' equivalent of Siler, Kawalsky. So maybe Chuck, Zelenka or even Lorne. How would you guys feel about that?

Jackie
April 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Nice way to cut off Atlantis, at least in a "one way" sense. The ships are still there ... well, the one or two that survive ... but unable to go anywhere. They are grounded until somebody figures out how to deal with the thing.

Atlantis could 'gate to Earth but without the bridge and the 304s zipping all over the place Earth could not easily re-supply Atlantis. Earth would have to take the ZPM from the Oddessey or the Antarctic base just to "phone" Atlantis via the Stargate. They could easily write a mishap for the Oddessey's ZPM. And pulling the ZPM from the Antarctic weapon chair is do-able but only on a case by case basis.

That would be the idea. Reduce travel to gate travel for all the races. Then have earth take the lead in trying to figure out how to bait and destroy the thing.

I would put a number of these creatures scattered about...so at first they only think there is one. Eventually they figure out there are more and in other galaxies.

Pegasus and the Milky Way would be just 2 of the galaxies these things can comb through, looking for spaceship engines to eat.

I would make the sun the only element hot enough to destroy the creature. Baiting it and leading it into the sun would be the only way to destroy the thing.

The creature would be indiscriminate. It would go after any ship...including non earth ships. Goa'uld, Tok'ra, Wraith, Ori, any ship that is moving through space!

LoneStar1836
April 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
How would you feel if we lost the entire fleet?Umm...good riddance.

Never cared for them in the first place. The Promie...ok I didn't mind it but the rest :zelenka26:.