This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Weir : Control Hungry?

does it strike anyone that dr weir is control hungry?

i means she is so desperate to assert her 'authority' over the minutest details to thngs that are just beyond her office.

from the very first episode she insisted on going through with the security forces..."no...we go through together" and she seemed very aggressive about it to.

what could she possibly do if they met hostiles on the other end...or was she afraid the jarheads will do a coup or something once on the other side?...the jarheads were just going in through first to secure the parameter.

in siege, she was actually trying to run the defense of atlantis until it was made blatantly clear to her it was going to be otherwise...correct me if i'm wrong but do they have military strategy class in diplomat school...its not like the military was trying to move into her office and run atlantis...they were just there to defend atlantis

there are countless examples, but am i the only only one who notices this?
    If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

Shouldn't this be in the characters forum?
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
      Shouldn't this be in the characters forum?

will the admin kindly delete this thread it is in the wrong slot

thanx....or apparently not...
      Last edited by diddy47; 06 April 2008, 07:14 AM.
      If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

Comment

i don't think she is "control hungry" she is the leader and should be about my the decision making process and have say in situation when it involves her experdation.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

even military issues...?

she can raun atlantis anyway she likes...even if she feels 'tretened' by the militray..they did not actually try to run atlantis when they came...

how would it help...her being in command of military defense of atlantis...

even the trivial things....like i mentioned from the very first episode just before they stepped through...what was she trying to prove

Comment

I think her going through the gate with Col. Sumner was a display that the show would be based on civilians and military, not just one or the other. Not only that but you'd think she was a little excited about getting to go to Atlantis? I know I would be.

As for military command, she said it herself, she was responsible for the lives of all the members of the expedition when it came to the seige of Atlantis, she wasn't going to take a back-seat spot while they made decisions as to what they were going to do. Granted, she shouldn't be in charge of the defences but she should have least been kept in the loop. And as I recall, I don't think she wanted to be put in charge of the defence of Atlantis, merely a part of the administration of it.

Comment

I think her going through the gate with Col. Sumner was a display that the show would be based on civilians and military, not just one or the other. Not only that but you'd think she was a little excited about getting to go to Atlantis? I know I would be.
              so there was no practical advantage to her being there but her thrills
              she'd have been a liability... actually... on the otherside if a situation developed...the jarheads going first was to secure the area...no?...
              this in no way undermined her position...no?

Comment

Originally posted by diddy47 View Post

i means she is so desperate to assert her 'authority' over the minutest details to thngs that are just beyond her office.

from the very first episode she insisted on going through with the security forces..."no...we go through together" and she seemed very aggressive about it to.

what could she possibly do if they met hostiles on the other end...or was she afraid the jarheads will do a coup or something once on the other side?...the jarheads were just going in through first to secure the parameter.

in siege, she was actually trying to run the defense of atlantis until it was made blatantly clear to her it was going to be otherwise...correct me if i'm wrong but do they have military strategy class in diplomat school...its not like the military was trying to move into her office and run atlantis...they were just there to defend atlantis

there are countless examples, but am i the only only one who notices this?

i agree, kind of like in "the first strike" she was so distraut when she found out they were going to nuke the asurans. she said they didn't even consult her, it is a military strike so why would they have to tell the civilian leader.

Comment

Every military operation needs a civilian in control behind it. Operation Desert Storm is a perfect example.

Basic political-military dynamics.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Every military operation needs a civilian in control behind it. Operation Desert Storm is a perfect example.

how could she have made a difference in this situation...her being the cilvilan...

she wanted to negotiate..can you belive that..."maybe we can reach an undertanding!"...political-military dynamic only works when you are at the same level

these were the replicators...negiatiate with computers now...?

she just wanted it to be her decision to order the strike not the military...which is quite petty

Comment

Originally posted by diddy47 View Post

<snip>
                      It really depends which episodes you watch. Some episodes she's a hard ass, some episodes she doesn't seem to know what she's going. Some episodes she a peace loving diplomat, the next she's ordering someone to be tortured, her character wasn't written consistently to say the least...

Comment

I always thought the "We go through together" part was about equality, not about control issues.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                          I always thought the "We go through together" part was about equality, not about control issues.

Vala,
                          My point exactly.

Originally posted by apollo22 View Post
                          i agree, kind of like in "the first strike" she was so distraut when she found out they were going to nuke the asurans. she said they didn't even consult her, it is a military strike so why would they have to tell the civilian leader.
                          Uh, they planned a nuclear strike which endangered her expedition behind her back. They could have at least called and said "hey, we're going to do this. You think its a good idea or should we try to negotiate first?". IMO Earth jumped the gun nuking the Asurans in First Strike, if they would have listened to weir they could have avoided the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            It really depends which episodes you watch. Some episodes she's a hard ass, some episodes she doesn't seem to know what she's going. Some episodes she a peace loving diplomat, the next she's ordering someone to be tortured, her character wasn't written consistently to say the least...
                            Agree. For me personally, the character just didn't work.
                            Theoretically spoilerish:
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

I don't completely agree (well, I wouldn't, would I?). My issue with Weir (and other civilians in the Stargate franchise) is not that they want to "control" the military (the military is used to that) but that they try to "control" it without first having the faintest idea about the role, responsibility and/or motivations of the military.

Something I have seen on these (and other) boards over the years go something like this: oh I wish I was the colonel in charge, I'd order them to do xxxxxx

The military isn't just about blowing things up, it is about protection. Having someone in the middle of your team who doesn't understand (or want to understand) what you are doing, and hasn't trained with you isn't only likely to get themselves killed. They are likely to get you killed. That isn't leadership it is foolishness.
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X