Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REAL, Actual "Plot HOLE" or Should I say Gate Hole... #4/4/2008 Gateworld Play...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REAL, Actual "Plot HOLE" or Should I say Gate Hole... #4/4/2008 Gateworld Play...

Today’s 4/4/2008's Gateworld Play Omnipedia Video, got me to think about the Episode of SG-1's Season 1's Episode The Torment of Tantalus, Season 3's A Hundred Days, and Atlantis Season 1's Thirty Eight Minutes.....
    Now Before we Continue I want to point out that this isn't really a plot hole, but a Wormhole travel thing... I'll explain....
    In the Ep. A Hundred Days Teal'c shoots a grappling hook through the Stargate and attaches it to the other side, now here's my rub: In Thirty Eight Minutes that sniveling little weasel KAVANAGH states: " The front half won't rematerialize on this side." and then Dr. GRODIN our hero of Season 1 states " The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front half of the ship cannot rematerialize until the whole ship has crossed into the event horizon. The Stargate is essentially waiting for the contiguous components -- meaning the Jumper and everyone inside -- to enter completely before it can transport them.
    .....Unfortunately, the outgoing Stargate won't transmit the matter stream until the demolecularisation is complete. When it shuts down, the entire forward section, along with the men inside, will cease to exist."

Now wouldn't one consider the rope and the grappling hook as one contiguous part??? And Not to mention the same thing takes place in The Torment of Tantalus with the Diving suite and the air hose?
    Now it is my theory that with the "Hundred Days" incident that the grappling hook simply didn't rematerialize until Tel'c stepped through and just simply went on with it's momentum, or not.... Now I’m not one to try and point out every single plot hole or anything else in Stargate, but I just thought I'd ask and see what every one else though about it. ........... but anywho. I oculd be wrong aobut the grappling hook, and the air hose as not being one large part, but I just thought i'd ask anyway...
    sigpic

For the grappling hook, it would of just been a delay.

So, he shoots the grappling hook first through the stargate, then he walks in a little bit later. When it emerges on the other side, the grappling hook hits the wall and attaches, Teal'c comes through save and secure.

The hose, the people who ran the program thought that it was a direct transport or like going under water. It was seen though that after the stargate disengaged the hoses were cut off. So he was in limbo until the ropes were finally cut. So he popped out of the other side, and the Stargate closed right away.
    Visit my Website

Comment

I've wondered about this too, and I came to the same conclusion as ^
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

AH good enough for me, I knew they thought it was some kind of water, they lacked the understanding, and the first comment I do agree upon I stated that in my post, but n e who.....any other takers
        sigpic

Comment

I see what you're saying, it would imply that if only part of the rope went through, the rope would not rematerialize until the entire rope was through, therefore there would be no rope or grappling hook that has gone through at all.

According to the definition you quoted from season one, nothing can be material half on one side and half on the other side of the stargate, that would mean no ropes, no hoses.

If someone put their hand through the stargate and waves, could someone see the person's hand waving on the other side? According to this, no, the whole body has to step through. The gate probably does this intentionally, so that it doesn't transmit 3/4's of a ship that has gone through and 3/4's of a person. If the stargate only transports whole units, and it just traveled a hand, how is the stargate going to reconnect the hand to the other person? The person is now a seperate part of their hand. Same with the rope.

In a way you could say it is similar to a Star Trek transporter, for living matter, it must be transported in one unit. If someone transported only their hand to a base site, then transported the rest of their body, then their hand would now be separate from their body. So what would happen with a stargate and a rope is you could feed yards and yards of rope through the stargate but none of it would show up until you cut the rope and through the last cut piece into the stargate, then the entire rope would show up on the other side, but it would not materialize both sides of the rope at the same time.
          Last edited by shinysign; 13 March 2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

nope, the jumper wouldve been cut in half and seeing as they were trapped in the back in a half-operational jumper, it would be VERY bad if it happened

Comment

Only the Earth gate and Pegasus gates have shown inconsistencies to each other. Remember that Earth bypasses most of the safety protocols and the Pegasus gates are newer. They may just operate differently. It's the gate that holds the pattern and transmits the data, so it's not part of wormhole physics.

Comment

so the transport in whole pieces of Pegasus might not apply to MW? well it was NEVER shown in SG1 that it transports only in whole pieces, so you might be right

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                  Only the Earth gate and Pegasus gates have shown inconsistencies to each other. Remember that Earth bypasses most of the safety protocols and the Pegasus gates are newer. They may just operate differently. It's the gate that holds the pattern and transmits the data, so it's not part of wormhole physics.
                  That is true. Perhaps the earth gate due to bypassing those protocols allows for half items to go through.

Comment

Or maybe the gate will allow partial transmission of long skinny objects.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I always wondered what you'd see if you stuck your head through the event horizon and opened your eyes. That tunnel thing, darkness, the other planet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        I always wondered what you'd see if you stuck your head through the event horizon and opened your eyes. That tunnel thing, darkness, the other planet?
                        Your head or eyes wouldn't exist until you got to the other side

Comment

That's wierd so then does that mean that if you did actually do that you would die? If your head wouldn't exist than neither would your brain, and therefore you would just fall to the ground, head still in the gate, and your body would very rapidly cease to function.

Comment

nope. inbetween is some kind of buffer so blood etc still runs through.

Comment

Working...
                            X