PDA

View Full Version : Just figured out something!

jakebolt
April 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I just reallized that the story of the species that created the nanite virus has never been solved.The nanites that caused the anurisms. It couldn't have been the replicators because they wanted to seek revenge on the Ancients. The Wraith didn't want to kill their food source. So who is this advanced race that reprogramed the nanites to attack people? Will they be seen in season 5?

jelgate
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
You forget that for a long time the Asurans had a program that prevented them for killing the Ancients.

jakebolt
April 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yes ,but remember Mckay changed that.

jelgate
April 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
But the Hot Zone virus was created before McKay changes meaning the Asurans are still bounded not to harm the Ancients.

GeneralLuckyAC
April 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
so they had it to kill the wraiths food supply...

the asurans developed it on there own as a weapon against the wraith as instructed by the ancients to kill the wraith therefore the ancients studied it and destroyed the replicators for not being the weapon they wanted.

wiseowl777
April 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
great, we’ve discovered yet another super-powerful enemy, in this galaxy that we have yet to meet!....

Lord batchi ball
April 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
NO the Asurans created the virus. It was there attempt to destroy the "favorite" child of the Ancients. And since they couldn't harm ancients until Rodney came along and left the door open, they most likely made it.

SGASG!
April 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM
If it was the Asurans then why was the virus in Atlantis. I thought the replicators lived on Asura, that's why it was easy for the Ancients to "destroy" them.

VSHARMA
April 4th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I just reallized that the story of the species that created the nanite virus has never been solved.The nanites that caused the anurisms. It couldn't have been the replicators because they wanted to seek revenge on the Ancients. The Wraith didn't want to kill their food source. So who is this advanced race that reprogramed the nanites to attack people? Will they be seen in season 5?

I thought that the Nanites were the Asurans in the earlist form? The Asurans are Nanites after all and the Virus was meant for the Wraith.....thats the reason it didn't kill anyone with the Ancient Gene

P_Ferreira
April 4th, 2008, 02:56 AM
It's was the Asurans that created the Nano Virus, remember that Rodney dispite the fact that he was infected he survive because he had that ATA gene. The Nano Virus is design to kill humans not Ancients, therefor i agreement with the code that the Asurans had not to harm the ancients.

MechaThor
April 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM
But the Hot Zone virus was created before McKay changes meaning the Asurans are still bounded not to harm the Ancients.

Yeah thats the point, The Hot Zone Virus attacked HUMANS not Ancients! Thats two diffrent species! There4 it was perfectly ok for teh Asurans to create that virus to attack the Huamns of the galaxy!

The Hot Zone Virus has been solved, its time to move on from that storyline, alone with the retrovirus.

gkyun
April 4th, 2008, 06:16 AM
The fact that the nano-virus only kills humans might just be what the Ancients originally intended as a weapon against the Wraith since Wraith DNA comprises both human and Iratus bug DNA.

So maybe the Ancients wanted to kill off the specific human gene in a Wraith in order to revert it back to its original insect form and the nano-virus seemed like a logical weapon for that purpose and when come to think of it, it sorta corresponds with the Ancients' way of thinking, too.

MechaThor
April 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
The fact that the nano-virus only kills humans might just be what the Ancients originally intended as a weapon against the Wraith since Wraith DNA comprises both human and Iratus bug DNA.

So maybe the Ancients wanted to kill off the specific human gene in a Wraith in order to revert it back to its original insect form and the nano-virus seemed like a logical weapon for that purpose and when come to think of it, it sorta corresponds with the Ancients' way of thinking, too.

Why would the Ancients want the wraith to become the bugs again?
It was the Iratus Bugs feeding on Humans which caused the evolution of Wraith in the 1rst place!

If you turn the Wraith back into the Iratus bugs, the circle will only happen again! I am sure if anything the ancients would have done what Carson did and turn the Wraith into Humans, But theres no evidence of this. and they would have learnt like we did, that it DON'T work!

gkyun
April 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
That's because the Ancients themselves claimed that they were responsible for the emergence of the Wraith as a sentient species.

Maybe they did some wacky experiments on the bugs by combining human DNA with them or made them develop a taste for humans, knowing the Ancients' high moral standards they would try to reset everything back as they were before, not further complicate matters by turning a already mutated "human" back to being a normal human.

MechaThor
April 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
That's because the Ancients themselves claimed that they were responsible for the emergence of the Wraith as a sentient species.

Maybe they did some wacky experiments on the bugs by combining human DNA with them or made them develop a taste for humans, knowing the Ancients' high moral standards they would try to reset everything back as they were before, not further complicate matters by turning a already mutated "human" back to being a normal human.

But we don't know that the Ancients forced the evolution of the Iratus bugs into Wraith. All we known is that the ancients got stupid, did not think about the effects of adding an alien element (Humans) into an established ecosystem.

From what little we have it would seem the wraith evolution was natural. Humans where placed on Iratus bug homeworld, Bugs feed on humans, Humans alien DNA caused a mutation in the bugs, Bugs evolved into wraith, Stargate Atalntis was born.

gkyun
April 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM
You're right we don't know just what exactly happened along the evolutionary stage of the Wraith. It might well be an accident that some humans chanced upon this planet with a whole bunch of life sucking bugs that one day would evolve into beings powerful enough to wipe out the Ancients.

Still, as you said, it was the Ancients who seeded humans throughout the Galaxy and gave the bugs an alternative food source thus caused the mutation. Accident or not it wouldn't be morally acceptable for them to further temper with what was already a hugh mess by denying the existence of the bugs, however lowly evolved they were, and create a bunch of new freaks out of it.

Once the Wraith are turned back to being bugs, the Ancients could just declare the planet off-limits or delete all references to them in the database, same with the Asuran homeworld.

MechaThor
April 4th, 2008, 08:23 AM
You're right we don't know just what exactly happened along the evolutionary stage of the Wraith. It might well be an accident that some humans chanced upon this planet with a whole bunch of life sucking bugs that one day would evolve into beings powerful enough to wipe out the Ancients.

Still, as you said, it was the Ancients who seeded humans throughout the Galaxy and gave the bugs an alternative food source thus caused the mutation. Accident or not it wouldn't be morally acceptable for them to further temper with what was already a hugh mess by denying the existence of the bugs, however lowly evolved they were, and create a bunch of new freaks out of it.

Once the Wraith are turned back to being bugs, the Ancients could just declare the planet off-limits or delete all references to them in the database, same with the Asuran homeworld.

True, Very True. Or maybe the ancients should of just done some research on the bugs b4 putting Humans on the Iractus Bugs planet!
I am sure the Ancients where smart enough to think about how Humass will impact the ecosystems natural balance 1rst!

gkyun
April 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
True, Very True. Or maybe the ancients should of just done some research on the bugs b4 putting Humans on the Iractus Bugs planet!
I am sure the Ancients where smart enough to think about how Humass will impact the ecosystems natural balance 1rst!

Well...they ARE Ancients. Where do you think we got our recklessness from? :D

If the Ancients were careful enough there wouldn't be any Wraith to speak of in the first place, or the Replicators for that matter. I guess sometimes there are things you just can't possibly predict until it becomes too late. All the Ancients could do were try to undo whatever they'd unleashed, successful or not doesn't really matter since they're all dead anyway.

DarkSullivan
April 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM

The nanites could kill humans, but not ancients because of that program that prevented them from killing ancients.....until mckay changed them.

Raddo
April 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe the reason the nanite virus was only able to kill humans opposed to Lanteans was that is was created by the Asuran replicators. They were programmed to be a weapon against the wraith so maybe they condsidered this as an way of saving their creators (whom they were programmed not to hurt and maybe even protect).

The Lanteans brought the nanite virus that the Asurans had created to Atlantis to study and obviously dismissed the technology.

This would be evidence that the Asurans had previously condsidered wiping out humans - the wraiths food source and ultimatley why the Ancients had to destroy them, not because they were a failed experiment but because they were far too dangerous to just be left on their planet.

If they were simply a failed experiment then I think the Lanteans would have respected the fact they were sentient and let them be, but as I said they were simply too dangerous.

The Ancients are restored to all round high and mighty good guys!!! Phew!

Infinatus
April 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The Ancients created the nano virus to kill Wraith. Just like the with the mini drones in Harmony, although Ancient tech will not target Ancients it will kill any humans that get in the way.

jakebolt
April 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Ok everyone read the Stagate tech about he virus in the Omnipedia. It says that it is unclear who created the virus. Also who created the ZPMs because remember when the time traveler ancient asked what we called them. And If the ancients did make them then why aren't there factories around on other planets?

jelgate
April 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
The Omnipedia is very outdated.

Infinatus
April 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Ok everyone read the Stagate tech about he virus in the Omnipedia. It says that it is unclear who created the virus. Also who created the ZPMs because remember when the time traveler ancient asked what we called them. And If the ancients did make them then why aren't there factories around on other planets?

The omnipedia article for the nano virus probably hasn't been updated since season 1... So I doubt they even tied in the events of season 3...

Also I'm pretty sure the Atlantis expedition will NEVER discover a ZPM factory. Why would the Ancients just leave one around for the Wraith to find? Assuming ZPMs are even made in "factories"...

Mitchell82
April 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Also I'm pretty sure the Atlantis expedition will NEVER discover a ZPM factory. Why would the Ancients just leave one around for the Wraith to find? Assuming ZPMs are even made in "factories"...
I doubt that they will either. Most likely they made those by hand I don't think they are made in a factory.

expendable_crewman
April 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
The omnipedia article for the nano virus probably hasn't been updated since season 1... So I doubt they even tied in the events of season 3...

I think you may be right. I rescued this question and response from JM's older blog:

Propagandor writes: “I'm pretty sure that nanovirus was the work of the Asurans, because 1) They use nano tech, 2) They hate humans and 3) they are unable to hurt Ancients (people with the Ancient Gene count as ancients as far as the virus goes I think)”

Answer: Bingo. And brilliant.

I think this link still works: April 9, 2007 (http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/04/april-9-2007.html)

In Progeny, Rodney talks about the Asurans' connection to the virus from the Hot Zone ep, and then he says something about it to the team after they recover from the hand-in-the-head treatment. Rodney says something like, "We’ve probably just identified the race that created the nanovirus that nearly killed me a couple of years ago ..."

It didn't kill him because he'd had the ATA therapy. The virus couldn't kill anyone with the Ancient gene.

jakebolt
April 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
If the Asurans created the virus then doesn't that make them just as bad as the Wraith. I mean it makes them killers!!!

expendable_crewman
April 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM
If the Asurans created the virus then doesn't that make them just as bad as the Wraith. I mean it makes them killers!!!

The Asurans appeared to have believed the best way to get rid of the Wraith was to eliminate the Wraith food supply. There's a scene in Progeny that takes place in a meeting room. It happens while the team members are still guests, not prisoners.

Oberoth told them yes, he and his people were Ancients who parted ways with the other Ancients, whom he called his "brothers and sisters," over a disagreement. When the team asked what kind of disagreement, Oberoth said, "Suffice it to say they chose to disregard our counsel during a time of great conflict, and they suffered the consequences at the hands of a relentless enemy."

Later, the team discovers the Asurans are replicators.

The Ancients, I gathered, created the Asurans as a weapon against the Wraith. The Asurans may have thought creating the virus fulfilled their programming. If this is true, the Asurans' development of the Hot Zone virus may have happened before the Ancients turned on the Asurans. Otherwise there would not have been "counsel" to disregard.

The Ancients eventually saw the Asurans as a weapon experiment that went too far, leading the Ancients (to try) to destroy them.

The method of making war against the Wraith, the Asurans attacking the Wraith food supply ...
... was repeated in season four using tactical missiles against human civilizations.
As a means to an end, it may have been the thing that divided the Ancients and Asurans thousands of years ago.

The Ancients would not have been afraid of the virus in its lab. It couldn't hurt them. Plus the city of Atlantis was fully functional when the Ancients lived in it. If the virus got out, like it did in Hot Zone, the city would have responded immediately to contain it.

As far as being killers goes ... In Progeny, Weir said, "I think they look at the Ancients like parents who betrayed them, and now they see humans as the favoured siblings who receive all the parents’ love. They’ve been seeking revenge ever since."

When Oberoth was asked by other Asurans what to do with the Sheppard & team, he said, "We have mined everything we need from their consciousness. They are no longer of any use to us. Ending their lives seems to be the most prudent course."

Even though the "Kill Wraith" command was apparently off in this episode, Oberoth had no problem killing humans as a matter of course.

Heaven
April 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
the way I understand it, the Ancients originally intended for the nanites to be a weapon against the wraith not robots (ie. a nanovirus).

the ancients programed the nanites to evolve, probably so the wraith couldn't find a defense against them.
and to their surprise, the nanites eventually evolved to resemble them, and assumed a humanoid form.
that's why they're trying to ascend, they keep trying to emulate the ancients as part of their evolution.

the nanovirus they found in Atlantis was probably an early version of the nanite experiment, one that didn't evolve as much as the Asurans.