Region 1 Vs. Region 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Region 1 Vs. Region 2

Does anyone know why the Region 1 release is 102 minutes but the Region 2 release is only 98 minutes? I hope nothing has been cut, ah it has at least Region 2 will be getting a Continuum promo to make up for it...

Region 1 is 24fps, region 2 is 25 fps.
    That's also why voices seems different in region 2.

Comment

Surely that wouldn't make a difference would it? How would more frames per second make the movie shorter? Surely there'd just be more frames overall, and I thought that voice thing was a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        Does anyone know why the Region 1 release is 102 minutes but the Region 2 release is only 98 minutes? I hope nothing has been cut, ah it has at least Region 2 will be getting a Continuum promo to make up for it...
        maybe the lead in that catches people up at the beginning was cut??? along wiht some small things
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I was thinking that they might have cut the 'Oh ****' line, but I'm not sure what kind of rating that would take. flobo could be right, I've noticed that a lot of movies in Region 2 have a 4 minute difference...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Surely that wouldn't make a difference would it? How would more frames per second make the movie shorter? Surely there'd just be more frames overall, and I thought that voice thing was a myth?
            Because of the different FPS the movie ends a bit faster. I'm not sure about the voices though. I own all the SG-1 seasons in both R1 & R2 (I bought them twice because thr R2 PAL menus are much better than R1). However, I have never really noticed voice differences between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJack View Post
              Because of the different FPS the movie ends a bit faster. I'm not sure about the voices though. I own all the SG-1 seasons in both R1 & R2 (I bought them twice because thr R2 PAL menus are much better than R1). However, I have never really noticed voice differences between the two.
              So they've encoded it in such a way that the film has been recordrd at 24fps but has to run at 25fps? Seems a bit stupid to me, I mean the versions Sky airs have the same runtime as the SciFi ones don't they?

Comment

That's the way all pal dvd are encoded. That's called PAL SPEED UP.
                About the voice, it's easy to hear the pitch difference. On european dvd, daniel sounds more like thor (when he speaks as daniel).

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                  About the voice, it's easy to hear the pitch difference. On european dvd, daniel sounds more like thor (when he speaks as daniel).

I have doubles of some of my dvd's and I can't tell any difference between the voices of region 1 or 2.
                  sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I guess it depends. I can definitively hear it.
                    If i do not force my pal dvd at 24 fps, they sound weird. (espacially the star trek voyager opening, it seems to be going so fast on pal dvd).
                    I found an exemple : http://www.mastersofcinema.org/bress...ALspeedup.html
                    There are audio sample showing the difference.
                    Last edited by flobo; 03 April 2008, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Are you sure you're not imagining it? It would be easy for them to just time-stretch the sound to make the pitch sound normal, that much I know.

Comment

Yeah i'm sure, that's the reason i only play dvd via a hcpc connected to my 26' hdtv.
                        That way, if it's a pal dvd, i play it at 25 fps. If it does sound good (for most recents movie, it does, i let it be that way. It it sounds strange, i force the dvd at 24 fps with reclock. (for EVERY tv show i own on dvd, the speed up is not corrected including stargate). The problem is also there with tvrip from skyone, it does not sound the same as scifi's/tmn's versions unless forced at 24 fps with reclock.
                        Pal blu-ray do not have this problem since blu-ray are 1080p at 24 fps everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                          I normally play the PAL versions, so I will have to watch the same episode back to back to see if Daniel sounds like Barry White in the R1 version.

(To Vala in deep bass voice) "Baby! Baby! Baby! Can't get enough of your love baby!"

Comment

You cannot hear any difference from 24 frames to 25 frames. The differences you're thinking about is NTSC, not PAL.

NTSC runs at 30 frames per second (actually it runs in fields and rounds to 29.97 fps but whatever).

That said, 102 minutes @ 24fps does translate to 98 minutes @ 25fps...

Comment

Because YOU cannot hear it doesn't mean nobody can...
                              It's like everything, some people do, some don't.
                              Moreover, stargate has always been filmed at 24 fps. What you are speaking of with 30fps is the 3:2 pulldown wich has nothing to do with the problem we're talking about.
                              It's just that, on 60 hz only display with 24 fps source, first image is played twice, second 3 time, third twice, 4th 3 times,...
                              But in the end, the running time is the same since 12*3 + 12*2 = 60.

Comment

Working...
                              X