This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney McKay - The Weakest Link

One of the great things about Stargate SG1 was the interaction between the members of SG1 and how they were all very good friends and would each give their life to save their teammate.

The only thing wrong with Stargate Atlantis is the interaction between the 4 team members is not as good and i think McKay is the weak link.

Sheppard/Teyla - Friends
    Sheppard/Ronon - Friends
    Ronon/Teyla - Frends
    Rodney/Sheppard - Maybe Friends

McKay on the other hand really isnt friends with any of them (Sheppard is debatable) as shown in the episodes "McKay and Mrs. Miller" where they are all opening laughing AT Mckay (not with) and the episode "Tao of Rodney" where they all discuss his weight in a very negative way.

The interaction with mcKay and the rest of the team is the only thing which is stopping those great team moments which were common in Stargate SG1 and it would be great to see the writers improve the relationship of McKay and the other characaters (especially Ronon and Teyla).

What i would love to see is a episode with McKay, Ronon and Teyla and get some serious growth with Teyla and Ronon getting to understand and appreciate McKay better. A episode with all 3 of them (no Sheppard) would be fantastic where all 3 of them have to rely on each other to survive.

To sum it up i hope that in season 5 the writers include some positive McKay and Ronon and McKay and Teyla moments as i think it will improve them overall team chemistry which at present is the only thing holding Atlantis back.

What do you all think?

I agree that one of the best things, if not the best thing about SG-1 was the interaction between the team. Even the dullest eps, were made better by the intereaction of those 4. I think they were fortunate in that aspect to find 4 people with chemistry that just clicked. Even non stargate fans have commented on their chemistry.

I have long since been bothered by the fact that IMO, the flagship team of Atlantis lacks a great deal of chemistry. Although, I can say that they have improved somewhat. I do not think we will ever see a chemistry comparable to SG-1, and I do not expect to. I think this is a different show, and as such instead of a team that meshes well instantly, each of these characters is growing each season. Ronon's character seems to finally be feeling accepted and you can see that in the emotions he has shown in several eps. Teyla is Teyla. Shep I am still trying to figure out.

I would have agreed when Atlantis started out, that Rodney was the weakest link. His personality was grating, his lack of compassion was horrible, and he just was not a team player. Yet his character has grown so much. You can see David Hewlett expressing that as Rodney. When your character has seen so much it is bound to affect changes in a person. I like Rodney much better than I did at first. While I still find chemistry lacking in the show, perhaps we will gradually see it change as it is now. But then it is a different show.

Comment

Hey moocow, I will have to disagree on with that. True, Rodney lacks the personal skills to forge tight-knit friendships quickly, he is slowly making ground with his team even Radick(not sure about spelling). Ronan has already been seen kidding around with Mckay on more than one occasion and let's not forget he is also teaching him "the way of the stick". As for season 5 , like you I am counting the days.
      sigpic

Comment

Or maybe this is simply a more realistic way of portraying four strong, independant people with four different personalities facing life-threatening situations everyday. I wouldn't expect them to get along all the time, or even like each other all the time, but when push comes to shove they have each other's backs and I think we've seen that on screen on numerous occasions.

As for the supposed lack of chemistry, maybe that's just personal opinion because I tend to disagree. Admittadely the team dynamic has suffered greatly, IMO, this past season. Maybe this had something to do with RL being pregnant and not being able to do all the scenes she would have been available for otherwise. Maybe that's the reason why we had a veritable lack of 'team' episodes this season (and if I'm wrong on that point than please correct me) in favour of episodes featuring one or two of the main cast (mid-season 2 parter and Kindred I/II aside).

Also, I don't see Rodney being the weak link in the team dynamic. Sure he's a petty, arrogant, condescending, brash, generally unpleasant person at the best of times, and can transform into a monster of a man when it's a matter of life or death, but I don't necessarily see this as meaning that he's spoiling the chemistry of the group. We've seen him have touching, caring, friendly moments with all the team members and when the team does happen to have a mission together (which seems to happen less and less often these days), we've seen them work well together. I think, though, that is essential to remember that we can't ask the writers to sacrifice the core of the character for the sake of warm, fuzzy moments and sarcastic yet friendly rejoinders.

Ronon is the strong, silent, stoic one of the bunch and he very rarely has patience for Rodney's tendency to dramaticise everything. Teyla is compassionate, understanding, and generally calm and we've seen her cut through Rodney's near-hysterical fits of techno-babble with soft words. John is also impatient but I also think he's the one that understands Rodney the best and I don't think it's fair or true to qualify them as, 'maybe friends'. It's been demonstrated otherwise on many occasions.

IMO, it's their differences of character and the moments of conflict that add depth to their dynamic and interactions as a team. This isn't meant to belittle the SG-1 dynamic in any way, but to say that they're two different ways to approach the 'team' concept. Different isn't necessarily worse or better, just different, and that liking one more than the other is simply a matter of preference.
        sigpic

Comment

look. i think atlantis gets boring without mckay. he spices things up. i love it when sheppard once again comments about mckays arrogance.
          sg1 is sg1. lets not make this a clone. sg1 is:
          -the sg1 members
          -base commander
          -walter
          -lee
          -lot of military stiffheads.

atlantis is:
          sheppards team
          lorn
          base commander
          chuck.
          radek.
          keller
          and a whole lot of friendly looking nice real people. no military stiffheads. its a family feel beyond sg1, and because of it, there is competition inbetween. having this family feel on every level would make it lame.

Comment

.: I love Rodney, but ever since Elizabeth and Carson were offed the cast chemistry as a whole has been thrown off, and Rodney has suffered the most.

.: Hurt by cast changes? Definately. Weakest Link? I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
              .: I love Rodney, but ever since Elizabeth and Carson were offed the cast chemistry as a whole has been thrown off, and Rodney has suffered the most.

.: Hurt by cast changes? Definately. Weakest Link? I'm not sure.
              Yeah, with the loss of Elizabeth, Rodney seems to have earned the Pegasus Galaxy's Official Wooby Mascot title, eh? I'm still floored by the way David Hewlett delivered that final scene in This Mortal Coil.
              sigpic
              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                One of the great things about Stargate SG1 was the interaction between the members of SG1 and how they were all very good friends and would each give their life to save their teammate.

The only thing wrong with Stargate Atlantis is the interaction between the 4 team members is not as good and i think McKay is the weak link.

Sheppard/Teyla - Friends
                Sheppard/Ronon - Friends
                Ronon/Teyla - Frends

McKay on the other hand really isnt friends with any of them (Sheppard is debatable) as shown in the episodes "McKay and Mrs. Miller" where they are all opening laughing AT Mckay (not with) and the episode "Tao of Rodney" where they all discuss his weight in a very negative way.

The interaction with mcKay and the rest of the team is the only thing which is stopping those great team moments which were common in Stargate SG1 and it would be great to see the writers improve the relationship of McKay and the other characaters (especially Ronon and Teyla).

What i would love to see is a episode with McKay, Ronon and Teyla and get some serious growth with Teyla and Ronon getting to understand and appreciate McKay better. A episode with all 3 of them (no Sheppard) would be fantastic where all 3 of them have to rely on each other to survive.

To sum it up i hope that in season 5 the writers include some positive McKay and Ronon and McKay and Teyla moments as i think it will improve them overall team chemistry which at present is the only thing holding Atlantis back.

What do you all think?
                McKay is friends with all of them, but it'll just never be portrayed the way you want it to unless he loses the snark, which would be bad, imo.

Comment

I think someone else said that Mckay lacked the personal skills to develop these kinds of bonds beyond their jobs. I think that with Rodney, they are showing another side of a team we didn't see in SG-1. In SG-1, they all got along and were friends with eachother.
                  In atlantis, John, Ronan, Teyla seem to accept Rodney's presence because he's an expert on technology and science all together. He's one of the guys that you have to work with, even though you don't really like them. That alone sets the team apart from SG-1.
                  Sure Jack got irritated at times with Daniel, but he respected him because he has come through for him at countless times. With Rodney, it is almost always another teammember that saves his life and not so much the other way around.

Comment

yes. but they all owed daniel one, as he deciphered the gate system. mckay on the other hand.

when atlantis was developed, a character was being searched to fit in. in the end, they realized they already had such a character: mckay. unfortunately, he was portrayed as an arrogant ********. and he still is. but you cant make a guy social in a few years. it takes time. but still. SGA is playing around. SGA is being in a city, to discover the secrets of the ancients. SGA is being the earth foothold in pegasus. SGA is the beacon of hope for pegasus.SGA is the family feel on a city wide level, not on just four or five people. and that leads to competition. and competition increases productivity, quality, and the plot generation. mckay is smart and arrogant. thinking outside the box, and simultaniously thinking inside. hes always complainting, hungry, and a highly potent being when it comes to fun. sheppard is competitive aswell. there are many points at wich he competed with other SGA members. its about chilling out and having fun. these guys go through tenfold the horror SG1 faced. parasitical beings? life sucking monsters is much more traumatizing.

im happy with SGA, just as im happy with SG1. i appriciate eppys on two levels. i like it, or i love it. just as i appreciate the shows. if people continue whining about sga not being like sg1. i like sga. but the current sg1 in the mix is enough. although having annother ronon+tealc eppy would be great too.
                    but i say: let sga being as it is now. let it not be a sg1 ripoff or incarnation.
                    i like the competition. really. how lame it would be to have the team suddenly be family like? while they have been competetive for like 4 years and more. mckay is softening a bit. ok. shep is softening. everyone is. but it cant become an sg1 ripoff. or continuation.

Comment

Sheppard/Teyla - Friends
                      Sheppard/Ronon - Friends
                      Ronon/Teyla - Frends

What do you all think?
                      Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.

As Charon said, Mckay is pretty dysfunctional, and his social skills leave a lot to be desired. But that's him, that's his personality and he is getting better. Just because someone lacks those interpersonal skills on a day to day basis though, doesn't mean they're incapable of forging friendships and having chemistry. The team for me are like family and like any family they have their ups and their downs, they fight, moan and ***** about each other, yes, but so do many families. And when you're living in close knit quarters you do get on each others nerves. However, each one of them would give up their lives for the other. They have each others backs and yeah they tease each other, but how they act towards each other speaks volumes.

Take Miller's crossing for example,
                      Spoiler:
                      if Shep could really give a toss about McKay, do you really think he'd post a security guard to stop him, or tell him he couldn't feed himself to the wraith to save his sister? Or taking the time to go with him and help him find out what happened to his sister. People who don't like each other don't go to those kind of lengths.
                      Also, let's look at Tao of Rodney, who helped him with his meditation? Would you go to those lengths if you didn't care? Would you support and care for them if they didn't really mean anything to you?

Staying on the theme of Tao of Rodney, and Vengeance. Ronon on both occasions is shown to care for Rodney, be it by helping him learn to fight, or carrying him to a chamber. Again it shows how much they mean to each other.

And what about Teyla? Mckay came to Teyla on several occasions with
                      Spoiler:
                      baby gifts,
                      with the tea ceremony. Would he do it if he didn't have that connection with her? Would he
                      Spoiler:
                      buy a gift for the baby if they weren't friends?
                      Would she confide in him about her fears if they weren't friends?

I could go on all day, but i'm trying to curb my enthusiasm.

Comment

Rodney is one of the best loved characters in Atlantis!

Exhibit One, Radek Zalenka - THE single most beat down, belittled and mocked individual, by RM, in Atlantis...yet who achieves the impossible to find McKay and overcomes his fear of being in an underwater jumper?

Come ON! Everyone loves Rodney!!!

Comment

they should have an episodes with ronon and rodney locked up or something else so that they have to talk and get along and use that in later episodes
                          - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
                          - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
                          - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
                          - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

Originally posted by Charon View Post
                            Hey moocow, I will have to disagree on with that. True, Rodney lacks the personal skills to forge tight-knit friendships quickly, he is slowly making ground with his team even Radick(not sure about spelling). Ronan has already been seen kidding around with Mckay on more than one occasion and let's not forget he is also teaching him "the way of the stick". As for season 5 , like you I am counting the days.
                            Agreed. He is not great at making friends but the team has developed a strong bond with each other.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Sheppard/Teyla - Friends
                              Sheppard/Ronon - Friends
                              Ronon/Teyla - Frends

What do you all think?
                              I've got to agree with jenks:
                              Originally posted by jenks
                              McKay is friends with all of them, but it'll just never be portrayed the way you want it to unless he loses the snark, which would be bad, imo.
                              I think calling John and Rodney "maybe friends" is possibly missing the point of their relationship. Their constant bickering and teasing is more like squabbling siblings than not really liking each other, which is also becoming true of McKay's relationship with Ronon, like the "Maybe I'll get you something" scene in The Kindred I. Friends, particularly guys, take the mick out of each other. It's not being mean, it's just what we do, especially with someone like Rodney.
                              Beyond that, there's plenty of examples of moments between John and Rodney showing how close they are - the stuff in Miller's Crossing, the scene at the beginning of Outcast, etc.

You used Tao as an example of them being mean, but I see that episode as the opposite. Once Rodney realises that he might die, he moves past snark and makes an effort to treat the others better - healing Ronon's scars, the tea ceremony with Teyla.

Comment

Working...
                              X