This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children of Men, The TV Series

I Can't say I know much about it, just saw the movie last month but I loved it.

What caught my attention was a mention of it in this article about BSG

That said, Sackhoff says she "would follow [Bionic/Battlestar Galactica producer David Eick] to the end of the earth" — which means that maybe Eick will consider her for his upcoming TV take on Children of Men. Not that Sackhoff is necessarily dying to do another kick-butt action project. No, she claims that what she really wants to do "is a romantic comedy with James McAvoy."
    http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ders/800036459

Wait wait wait WHAT?

I love SF that focuses on social aspects, so naturally I loved the CoM movie and I love BSG. The idea of mingling the two has me practically giddy.

Only if it's done well though. Eick has made me wary after Bionic Woman.

Comment

I too like SF that focuses on Social aspects but it can get bad soon. It has to be careful not to be too preachy. My question is, what will the show be about? Will it be about the society, the baby, the human project?

As for Eick, I don't have a prblem with him, the BW tradgedy was due to a lack of direction by the Showrunners, While producing it, I didnt think it was so much his fault. But then again the only show I can say I defiantly like that he is involved in is BSG and that has RDM who is a Genius.

Comment

I found a blurb on what Eick wants the show to focus on:

"It's really taking root more in the origins of the novels in that it will focus on the cultural movement in which young people become the society's utter focus," Eick (Battlestar Galactica) said in an interview at SCI FI Channel's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on March 18. "Much like our culture, whenever Lindsay Lohan does something [and] it becomes the headline of every news show, it's about how, when you don't have a responsibility to the next generation and you're free to do whatever you want, where do you draw the line?"

Eick added that Children of Men will question how society defines responsibility, freedom and a sense of values when it doesn't necessarily believe humans will survive as a species. "So it's a very compelling, I think, human question that science fiction has always explored extremely provocatively," he said. "It's not really a war show like the movie was. It's more an exploration of that issue."

So it sounds like the show would be more about the CoM universe and not a rehash of the baby storyline of the movie.

Comment

As much as I loved Children of Men, I'm not sure it'll translate well to television. Especially on a television budget.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've not actually seen the move myself, although I've always been quite interested to. I think that if you can make a high-budget movie like Terminator into a series with no problem, then CoM shouldn't be too bad.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
              I think that if you can make a high-budget movie like Terminator into a series with no problem,
              Well, that's still subject to debate.

That said though, Terminator relies on CGI effects, which are (relatively) cheap to produce. One of the great strengths of Children of Men was that it made extensive use of on-location shooting with tons and tons of extras rather than just CGI-ing them in later. This seems to be kind of a lost art in both television and film, more than likely because the CGI alternative is cheaper.

And as long as we're on the subject, SEE CHILDREN OF MEN! I don't care if you have to find it on TV, download it, rent it, or buy it, but see it. I missed out on it for a few years (I didn't see it till earlier this year) and wow did I ever miss out. Totally worth seeing.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

theres no doubt it will be a bit different but then again we still have no idea what to expect. we don't even know if it is going to be set in England. England was relatively stable in the CoM Universe. The US was in shambles (Seattle under siege) and the other countries were just as bad.

Once again though i would like ot say that this is a very risky series. The movie delt with immigration in terms that werent to preachy and since that is a hot topic these day the show can become preachy real fast.

Comment

"Much like our culture, whenever Lindsay Lohan does something [and] it becomes the headline of every news show, it's about how, when you don't have a responsibility to the next generation and you're free to do whatever you want, where do you draw the line?"

The show is doomed.

And there is no way it will ever be better than the movie.

Comment

Could be a promising idea. I was diassapointed with the film, mainly because it was sold to me on the premise that it was an all action movie...which it wasn't untill the very end.

However it was still a watchable movie. I would definatly give the series a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
                      Could be a promising idea. I was diassapointed with the film, mainly because it was sold to me on the premise that it was an all action movie...which it wasn't untill the very end.

However it was still a watchable movie. I would definatly give the series a go.
                      Not to spoil it entirely for you, but I am a Film Major and can almost garuntee you that that last sequence you speak of wasnt live action totally. It was broken into segments and had amazing edits that made it seem like one sequence

Comment

Actually, one of the filming points of interest in Children of Men were the three main uninterrupted single-cam shots.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                          Not to spoil it entirely for you, but I am a Film Major and can almost garuntee you that that last sequence you speak of wasnt live action totally. It was broken into segments and had amazing edits that made it seem like one sequence
                          Right, I do not remember saying anything about the edits. What I said was that the film was sold to me as an action movie, sorta like We Were Soldiers, constant action, fighting etc. I was simply saying that there was no fighting until the very last bit were some coucil estate was getting blown to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                            Interesting. Was the flaming car attack earlier in the movie also broken up or one sequence?

One of the things I really loved about the movie was the attention to cinematography. I'm pretty sure that a TV series would not have the same feel, especially since Alfonso Cuarón (who also directed my favorite HP movie) is likely not going to be involved.

Comment

Interesting. Children of Men is one of my favourite movies.....ever. And probably the best theater going experience I have ever had.

Of course this mentions that this series is more like the book. Which is.....I read the book after seeing the movie and it is radically different, plot-wise anyway, it basically only shared the concept. My reaction while reading it was mostly "What the frak?"

But I like the idea of telling stories in a tv show through this universe. Really interesting idea. So long as they don't follow the plot of the book- I have to applaud Cuaron for the narrative changes he made, the movie is much better.

And the cinematography was to die for.....

Comment

Working...
                              X