The stargate creates a vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stargate creates a vacuum

Whenever a wormhole is established, the air surrounding the dialing end should rush through the stargate until there are no more air molecules or the pressure on the other side is so great that it acts as an iris, preventing matter from re-materializing.
    This may be the biggest plot-hole in the entire show so I thought I'd share it with everyone.
    Apologies if someone already stated this.

The ancinets are that good at designing technology
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by o-0 View Post
      Whenever a wormhole is established, the air surrounding the dialing end should rush through the stargate until there are no more air molecules or the pressure on the other side is so great that it acts as an iris, preventing matter from re-materializing.
      This may be the biggest plot-hole in the entire show so I thought I'd share it with everyone.
      Apologies if someone already stated this.
      I don't believe StarGates are possible, at all.
      Anyway in the show, they say that it's not a true wormhole, it basically, sends and receives matter in the form of information, and materializes it in the form it entered the portal.

Comment

there IS a sticky for this, since there isn't really a question being asked in this thread, just another stupid statement about a plot hole by someone who doesn't understand the definition of the world.
        Visit my Website

Comment

It is also incorrect. It is stated later in the series that only forces ACTIVELY heading towards the stargate will go through it, that is why air, and water, in the case of the episode Watergate do not go through the gate.

Please check around, and check your facts before cluttering the boards.

Comment

A plot hole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot.
            Seeing as how they've established the fact that Tupopflungo stated, and the stargate has never been shown to act like a siphon, or need to equalize pressure on opposite sides of the gate, the fact that it doesn't do these things fits within the internal logic of the SG universe and is therefore not a plothole. Although I do imagine the stargate would make a slight vacuum when it creates the kawoosh.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

yup, as stated (twice ) matter has to be actively exerting force on the event horizon to pass through, so no vacuum, sorry.

the closest you can get is that if the gate was in a air-tight location the kawoosh would disintergrate the atoms of gas in the location (oxygen,nitrogen, co2 etc) and therefore create a slight pressure difference. which is still not a vacuum so you'd have to do it lots of times to create a true vacuum.

ofcourse thats assuming that the force of the kawoosh doesnt just push the air out of the way, after all air is very easy to push out of the way

not to mention if the kawoosh did do that then it would do it on both sides of the gate which would not mean one side was highly pressurised like you hypothesised and hence not stop objects passing through. if anything it would make it easier to go through the gate

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                there IS a sticky for this, since there isn't really a question being asked in this thread, just another stupid statement about a plot hole by someone who doesn't understand the definition of the world.
                I knew that some people would try to refute my statement so I didn't feel the need to ask any questions.

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post
                It is also incorrect. It is stated later in the series that only forces ACTIVELY heading towards the stargate will go through it, that is why air, and water, in the case of the episode Watergate do not go through the gate.
                Gases are always moving in random directions and exerting force, that is why there is such a thing as air pressure and why you were able to expand a balloon for your 6th birthday yesterday.

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                Seeing as how they've established the fact that Tupopflungo stated, and the stargate has never been shown to act like a siphon, or need to equalize pressure on opposite sides of the gate, the fact that it doesn't do these things fits within the internal logic of the SG universe and is therefore not a plothole. Although I do imagine the stargate would make a slight vacuum when it creates the kawoosh.
                It is a plot-hole because of what Tupopflungo stated. If they said that
                only forces actively heading towards the gate will go through it, then air molecules should go through it.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                  I don't believe StarGates are possible, at all.
                  Not related to the overall thread, but that statement bothered me lol You made me upset :/

The Stargate is comprised of 3 main sections; navigation/dialing, materialization, and data transmission.

Navigation/Dialing: This section obviously deals with tracking the location of the Stargate at its given location, as well as establishing connections to other Stargates. *It is my belief that the Stargate also keeps track of several Stargates relatively close to it, so that information about the overall gate network can be shared relatively easily. Rather then each gate checking every single gate to know it was there, it would simply check groups of gates until all the network information has been collected.

Materialization: This section deals with matter and its de-materialization and re-materialization. The gate would need the ability to convert matter into some form of data, and turn data into matter, depending on what function the gate is serving (dialing or receiving gate). *It is my belief that all matter, at its base is ether (which to me is the so called 'sub-space' level). For here, different ether combinations/densities translate over and form atoms, and so on and so forth. By using very high voltage/frequency plasma, matter can be created/converted, by altering the electrical properties of the ether that forms the atoms. The scanning or detection of matter would be need as a person steps through the gate. This would be accomplished by looking at the electrical properties of the ether, therefore determining what matter it is.

Data Transmission: This section is responsible for processing data coming from the materialization portion and transmitting it to the appropriate Stargate. This section also cooperates with the Navigation/Dialing section to keep updated with the overall gate network. *Using the same ether principles used during the materialization portion, data can be modulated over great distances by created a harmonic 'attraction' to whatever point/object you can 'see'. This allows FTL travel, which can be controlled by the intensity of the attraction.

-----

And there you have it. Obviously the technology is not there yet, but it is a good foundation to start with in terms of what has to be accomplished, and where to look. From here, a Stargate like device could be built cosmetically however you wanted. Beaming technology, as well as transporter technology can built using various systems that make up the Stargate.

Comment

If you stick your head into a stargate, why dont you die? no more brain, cannot breathe.
                    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Gases are always moving in random directions and exerting force,

Yes, they are always moving in RANDOM directions, that means not ALL of the gas would go through it, because some of it is not actively moving towards the stargate, because it is going off in RANDOM directions...Away from the gate, over the gate, into the gate, around the gate....RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM...you have proved my point by your own logic. Thanks.

that is why there is such a thing as air pressure
                      Ummm...No...Gravity is what causes air pressure, Air has weight, and therefore the gravity of earth pulls it down, and creates air pressure...nice try though.

and why you were able to expand a balloon for your 6th birthday yesterday.
                      Using insults to get your point across is an act of desperation, and shows that you really do not know what you are talking about.

It is a plot-hole because of what Tupopflungo stated. If they said that
                      only forces actively heading towards the gate will go through it, then air molecules should go through it.
                      As you said before, air moves in RANDOM directions, see above paragraph for more on this.

Good try though....
                      Last edited by Tupopoflungo; 29 March 2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

It's not implausible to imagine that the gate has a control system that decides what to let through and what to keep out. We have computers in the lab that can make those sorts of decisions now, what makes you think the Ancients didn't?

Oh, and as others have stated, it's not a plot hole because it has been that way since Stargate the movie.
                        Last edited by 1138; 29 March 2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ok the ancients were an extremly advanced race. And Remember they created the stargate and the puddle jumpers, meaning they were the ones that probably put some of the gates in obit above the planets so that they might observe the inhabitants without interfearing with them. We have seen they deal with society changing devices before. So with all this known dont you think that they would have put in safegaurds to protect from such things from happening.
                          Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said, "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yes, they are always moving in RANDOM directions, that means not ALL of the gas would go through it, because some of it is not actively moving towards the stargate, because it is going off in RANDOM directions...Away from the gate, over the gate, into the gate, around the gate....RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM...you have proved my point by your own logic. Thanks.
                            Although the net force exerted by pressure is always normal to the surface. But that doesn't really make much of a difference, the gate clearly has something that can distinguish between bona fide travelers and air or water, as you've pointed out already.

Comment

I really shouldn't have to explain this to you unless you haven't taken basic chemistry or physics classes. Basically, when there's a big hole of nothing, gases rush in that direction. In this case, the wormhole is that big hole.

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo
                              Ummm...No...Gravity is what causes air pressure, Air has weight, and therefore the gravity of earth pulls it down, and creates air pressure...nice try though.
                              You obviously haven't taken a chemistry or physics class. Learn either of the two and come back to me.

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo
                              Using insults to get your point across is an act of desperation, and shows that you really do not know what you are talking about.
                              Well, judging from your knowledge, or lack thereof, I assumed you were that age.

Originally posted by 1138 View Post
                              Although the net force exerted by pressure is always normal to the surface. But that doesn't really make much of a difference, the gate clearly has something that can distinguish between bona fide travelers and air or water, as you've pointed out already.
                              It would have to detect the air or water first, and as far as we know, the only way stargates could detect anything is if it enters the gate. Unless the stargate can spit those molecules of air and water back out, the gate would have created a vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X